Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default If this happens I will become a Lakers Fan

From ESPN's David Aldridge

Dallas is a logical spot. Cubes would welcome Shaq with open wallet. The Mavericks clearly have the stuffed contracts to make the deal work numbers-wise, but it's hard to see Kupchak accepting a pedestrian package like Michael Finley ($14.6 million) and Antoine Walker (ditto). While Walker is up after this season, Finley eats up cap space like Pac Man, finally giving out at $18.5 million in 2007. Dirk Nowitzki gobbles up cash at a slightly reduced rate, starting at $12.5 million this coming season up to $16.3 million by 2007, but Cuban is loathe to give up the Diggler. I'd think you'd have to start with Steve Nash in a sign and trade, with Nasty, Nowitzki, Danny Fortson ($5.8 million) and precocious youngsters Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard part of the booty. Daniels would have to be signed and traded, too. The problem with this deal from L.A.'s standpoint is that it turns the Lakers, essentially, into the Mavericks -- a team with great perimeter talent with nothing in the middle. While the Mavs would suddenly have a 350-pound anchor to surround with Finley and Antawn Jamison.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:If this happens I will become a Lakers Fan

Goodness the Lakers would be the Mavericks. Kupchek is sick in his mind if he feels that we would give up all of that. Regardless of who we trade to them they will be taking Walker in the deal.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: If this happens I will become a Lakers Fan

I saw this yesterday and I pretty much lost all respect for DA for his having written this drivel. Outside of the fact that such a deal isn't even possible (Quis cannot be S&T'd), the Mavs would be getting raped on this deal. It'll never happen.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: FishForLunch
From ESPN's David Aldridge

Dallas is a logical spot. Cubes would welcome Shaq with open wallet. The Mavericks clearly have the stuffed contracts to make the deal work numbers-wise, but it's hard to see Kupchak accepting a pedestrian package like Michael Finley ($14.6 million) and Antoine Walker (ditto). While Walker is up after this season, Finley eats up cap space like Pac Man, finally giving out at $18.5 million in 2007. Dirk Nowitzki gobbles up cash at a slightly reduced rate, starting at $12.5 million this coming season up to $16.3 million by 2007, but Cuban is loathe to give up the Diggler. I'd think you'd have to start with Steve Nash in a sign and trade, with Nasty, Nowitzki, Danny Fortson ($5.8 million) and precocious youngsters Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard part of the booty. Daniels would have to be signed and traded, too. The problem with this deal from L.A.'s standpoint is that it turns the Lakers, essentially, into the Mavericks -- a team with great perimeter talent with nothing in the middle. While the Mavs would suddenly have a 350-pound anchor to surround with Finley and Antawn Jamison.
Aldridge is a complete idiot and shows it here. He even talks about moves which are impossible according to the CBA. What an utter moron.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

You would expect a little more (okay, a lot more) from one of ESPN's main guys. Wow.

I think this whole thing is giving everyone tired head, and we're just ready for something to happen already.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

No point in reading the opinions of the national talking heads. Very few of them actually understand the rules OR the realities that are involved. You'd be better served to read David Lord's fine column on the subject, or just read this board.

Old 06-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #7
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Steve Nash in a sign and trade, with Nasty, Nowitzki, Danny Fortson ($5.8 million) and precocious youngsters Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard part of the booty
Nash AND Dirk AND Daniels AND Howard? Cuban simply is not that Stupid. I wonder if Aldridge has even watched a basketball game in the last two years.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:42 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jacktruth
Quote:
Steve Nash in a sign and trade, with Nasty, Nowitzki, Danny Fortson ($5.8 million) and precocious youngsters Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard part of the booty
Nash AND Dirk AND Daniels AND Howard? Cuban simply is not that Stupid. I wonder if Aldridge has even watched a basketball game in the last two years.
I don't I just think he is a Laker fan.

1996-2005
Old 06-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Originally posted by: jacktruth
Quote:
I don't I just think he is a Laker fan.
TV Personality, David Aldridge has long been a buddy of Kobe's (he hangs with him in LA, and notice who always interviews him on ESPN...), so it shouldn't be surprising that his driveling column not only had Dallas give up an absurdly unreasonable amount of talent to aquire Shaq in his proposed trade (Be Damned to the CBA! And full Speed Ahead!), but it also implied that the whole trade demand situation was mostly predicated by Shaq's money demands, when in fact the old ego-driven, Kobe-Shaq feud is almost certainly the most significant force that is poised to rend the Lakers in half.

In fact, I see Shaq's contract extension demand as being very indicative of this; How badly do you think it is bruising Big Shaq's ego to see Buss and Kupchak fall all over themselves trying to sign Kobe to the max, guarantee him future partial ownership of the Lakers, and give him a veto and advisory role in the GM's office? How angry is this making Shaq, after the Buss/Kupchak braintrust fired his man Phil Jackson, and while they have refused to even talk to the Daddy about extending his own deal, when that deal could come to an end next year? In my opinion, this whole situation is ego driven, and that is why Shaq is not going to lay over in his demands.

DA, considering his slavering relationship with Bryant, would probably not agree with me though...

Old 06-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Evil as far as Shaq, and Kobe as well, are concerned this is 100% about ego. But wouldn't it be great if we traded for Shaq and then the Lakeshow signed Kobe to a long term max contract only to see him get 20 to life later this summer.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:47 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Evil as far as Shaq, and Kobe as well, are concerned this is 100% about ego. But wouldn't it be great if we traded for Shaq and then the Lakeshow signed Kobe to a long term max contract only to see him get 20 to life later this summer.
Stephen A. Smith was saying that from what he was hearing from around the league Kobe would get 20 years probation.

1996-2005
Old 06-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #12
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I think Kupchack has something to do with this. He is just trying to float things like these in order to get everybody's attention including Cuban.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #13
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

What in god's name would Stephen A. Smith (or anybody in the league) know about the eventual outcome of a criminal trial that hasn't even begun yet?
Old 06-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
What in god's name would Stephen A. Smith (or anybody in the league) know about the eventual outcome of a criminal trial that hasn't even begun yet?
Just saying what I heard form Stephen A. I didn't say I agreed with it or anything. He wasn't saying that this what happened or if even Kobe would be convicted he was just saying what he was hearing around the league.

1996-2005
Old 06-23-2004, 11:41 AM   #15
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

That comment from Stephen "A" Smith was one of the most ridiculous things I have heard a reporter say in a long, long time.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:58 PM   #16
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

David Aldridge tunred into Norm and showing how little he really has.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:44 AM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Any time Stephen A. Smith opens his mouth you can rest assured that crapola is being spewed.

Back to the original topic....I could never be a Laker fan (even if Dirk went there) as long as Showbe the drama puss is still in LA.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:58 AM   #18
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Me neither. Down with the Lakers!

Also, about David Aldridge's column, it's not THAT bad. He put a disclaimer in it before the main body. Also, in my opinion, he's one of the better writers for ESPN.com. While there are a lot of poor writers and poor thinkers there and elsewhere in the sports media, he seems to not be part of that group. To start with slamming the "national talking heads," as a group, and end with praising the writing of this board in the aggregate is a bit silly, especially when the topic is about one writer's column. There are some here that have thoughtful opinions, and some who don't. There are also some national writers that have thoughtful opinions and some who don't.