Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Trade on hold

Wiz have already committed to trade next year's #1, so cannot trade this year's #1. They can take a pick for Dallas at #5 then trade the rights, I think.

The good thing is it gives Mavs more time to do a 3-way if they want.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trade on hold

Quote:
Yup. I consider this a good thing.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Trade on hold

Technicality delays Mavs-Wizards trade

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Though no snags are anticipated, the Mavericks' trade of Antawn Jamison to Washington was delayed Thursday because of a technicality.

The Wizards, who are obligated to send next year's first-round pick to Orlando, cannot trade picks in consecutive years, according to NBA rules. Therefore, they will draft fifth in tonight's draft, then send that player along with Jerry Stackhouse and Christian Laettner to the Mavs for Jamison. The deal will be announced after the draft.

The Mavericks, meanwhile, were burning up the phone lines before the draft. At least one more trade is likely before the weekend. Word filtering through the NBA connected the Mavericks to the Golden State Warriors, who may be trying to ship out center Erick Dampier in a sign-and-trade situation.

Another possibility had the Mavericks talking to New York about Kurt Thomas.

However, rumors about the Mavericks and Philadelphia 76ers working on a deal appeared to be off base Thursday afternoon.

The Mavericks on Wednesday evening agreed in principle to a trade that would send Antawn Jamison to Washington for Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner and the No. 5 pick in tonight's NBA draft.

NBA sources suggested that the Mavericks likely would be moving one or two of the incoming assets, maybe as early as today.

Any subsequent deals could be made with a bigger picture (and a bigger player) in mind. O'Neal has told the Los Angeles Lakers twice he wants to be traded. The Mavericks have been mentioned from the beginning as one of the most likely destinations for O'Neal.

Owner Mark Cuban would not comment about trade possibilities but did disclose that the Mavericks would, in no way, trade Dirk Nowitzki to obtain O'Neal.

"That would be accurate," he said.

That means the Mavericks could be accumulating assets that are attractive to the Lakers to facilitate an O'Neal trade. The Wizards' deal could be a big part of that.

Jamison, the reigning sixth man of the year, has been the object of the Wizards' affection since at least the middle of last season. As recently as three weeks ago when personnel directors were in Europe for a tournament, the Wizards inquired about Jamison.

In Stackhouse, the Mavericks are getting a nine-year veteran who is a career 20-point scorer. But two of the sources said it is unlikely that Stackhouse would ever wear a Mavericks uniform.

Laettner, who played for the Mavericks briefly in the 2000-01 season, is in the last year of his contract and will earn $6.187 million next season before becoming a free agent.

With Antoine Walker also in the final year of his contract, the Mavericks would be rich with prime contracts that would open up plenty of salary-cap space in 2005, making them prime trade fodder.

That could be an enticement for the Lakers as they weigh offers for O'Neal.

Clearly, the Mavericks have designs on pairing Nowitzki and O'Neal. From a Lakers standpoint, they could be looking to stockpile players whose contracts end in 2005, when they could pursue the No. 1 free agent, perhaps 7-5 Yao Ming.

By trading Antawn Jamison (left), could the Mavs be paving the way for a deal to acquire Shaquille O'Neal? News of the trade came at the conclusion of a busy day for the Mavericks. One report had Nowitzki and Steve Nash being offered to the Lakers for O'Neal. "False, that's all I can say," Cuban said.

If Nowitzki is not included in an O'Neal trade, that might make Nash the next logical choice for the Lakers. He would have to be re-signed, then traded as a base-year compensation player, meaning his value would be only $6 million (last season's salary) in any trade scenario.

That does not preclude him being used in any trade, but it would complicate what already figures to be a convoluted process.

And if Nash is a chip in the Shaq sweepstakes, the Mavericks then might be using the No. 5 pick tonight for themselves, with an eye toward picking a point guard, of which there are several at the top of the draft.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

No surprise. I do think it actually plays into Dallas' hand. They are getting time to bring in more suitors. But it's all leading to one ultimate end...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Why has'nt this little snag been mentioned before now? Is this why the league office still has'nt made it official?

So....now most likely we will see the Wiz acting as a proxy for the Mavs tonight?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The Wizards will pick whoever the Mavs want at #5 and then the trade can be announced after the draft is over.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:37 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Or are the Wizards picking for the Mavericks who are picking for the XXXXXXXXXX???
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

If the Wiz picked a guy the Mavs didn't want does that mean the Mavs can take back the deal for Jamison? Mavs better have as much say as the Wiz do in this pick.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

I'm with madape, I think the #5 draft pick is completely calculated . It's been decided, most likely by the team the mavericks are going to move the pick to (Lakers). So, in essence, I believe the #5 pick is actually Mitch Kupchak's pick.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:13 PM   #10
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

^Or Golden State's pick.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
I'm with madape, I think the #5 draft pick is completely calculated . It's been decided, most likely by the team the mavericks are going to move the pick to (Lakers). So, in essence, I believe the #5 pick is actually Mitch Kupchak's pick.

I have a strong feeling that the Mavs won't be dealing that number 5 pick they recieve. I think Mavs have a deal that would send Josh Howard rather than the number 5 pick.

1996-2005
Old 06-24-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed completely.

If you make it a three-way trade, none of the restrictions associated with re-trading players come into play.

There are SO many ways this thing could go. I know everybody keeps saying Dallas is picking for LA. That's certainly a possibility. It's also equally possible that Dallas will be picking for themselves. It's certainly not a given that the No. 5 is going to LA.

We know Okafor and Howard go 1 and 2, just not necessarily the order. We're pretty sure 4 is Livingston. 3 is probably Gordon but might be Iguodola (sp?). So that leaves the Mavs with a choice of D. Harris, Pavel, Deng, Biedrins, etc. Harris is an intriguing option if you're thinking that you're going to have to deal Nash to the Lakers.

IF the No. 5 is going to LA, Dallas could make it happen like this:

Dallas trades Antawn Jamison, Antoine Walker, Josh Howard, No. 1 in 2006
Dallas receives Shaq

LA trades Shaq
LA receives Antoine Walker, Christian Laettner, Josh Howard, No. 3 pick, No. 5 pick, Dallas No. 1 in 2006

Washington trades Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner, No. 5 pick
Washington receives Antawn Jamison

Chicago trades No. 3 pick
Chicago receives Jerry Stackhouse

Old 06-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That makes great sense. I'm not even sure Dallas would have to include next year's #1.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do it if I had to.

I can't imagine that LA will realistically get a better offer than $20.8m in expiring contracts, two top 5 picks, a promising young forward, and a future No. 1.

Old 06-24-2004, 03:47 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

KG, do the Mavs still have their 2005 draft pick? But if the Bulls didn't want Fin for their number 3 why would they want Stackhouse?

1996-2005
Old 06-24-2004, 03:55 PM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
KG, do the Mavs still have their 2005 draft pick?
Yes, but I didn't mention anything about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
But if the Bulls didn't want Fin for their number 3 why would they want Stackhouse?
4 years, $66.2 million vs. 3 years, $22 million.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #17
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Why has'nt this little snag been mentioned before now? Is this why the league office still has'nt made it official?

So....now most likely we will see the Wiz acting as a proxy for the Mavs tonight?
I thought that is what I implied when I started the thread. Sorry I wasn't clearer in that regard.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:01 PM   #18
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
KG, do the Mavs still have their 2005 draft pick?
Yes, but I didn't mention anything about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
But if the Bulls didn't want Fin for their number 3 why would they want Stackhouse?
4 years, $66.2 million vs. 3 years, $22 million.
The reason I mentioned the 2005 pick because I thought the Mavs couldn't trade away their pick first round pick 2 consecutive years in a row. I know you mentioned the 2006 draft pick but if they have already given up their 2005 draft pick they would have to wait a year which would make them only be able to trade a pick in 2007. But it doesn't matter because they still have their 2005 pick. I see the contract issues but Skiles has stated they want to win now which is why they have have been pursuing Finley in the past. Ever since the Jordan debacle no one even wants to play for the Bulls anymore so I doubt the Bulls really care about not being too much over the cap right now.

1996-2005
Old 06-24-2004, 04:27 PM   #19
uberfan
Golden Member

Mavs traded 2004 (tonights) to Boston for Walker. 2005 has not been traded to my knowledge making the 2006 next one that could be traded.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:35 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

You can easily get around the two consecutive picks rule by doing exactly what Washington will be doing tonight. Pick the player and then ship him out. It's a stupid rule.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:39 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Mavs traded 2004 (tonights) to Boston for Walker. 2005 has not been traded to my knowledge making the 2006 next one that could be traded.
Your right. I don't know why I thought we traded the 2005 pick.

1996-2005