Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all
Default Dirk's one Dimension

My big question is why doesn't Dirk just learn to post up?? He either stands still and shoots his jumper or he fakes and moves in closer to hit his jumper. I've seen Finley post up more than I've seen Dirk post up. Dirk is good maybe top 10, but will he EVER lead us to a championship? At the end of every close game Duncan, KG...anybody will post up Dirk and probably score as the Mavs run down court hoping to sink their last jump-shot. I agree with Chad Ford that we need 20 touches to the man inside. Dirk needs to be that guy. I really like Dirk though, I believe if he could work on his post up game and copy Duncan he could have all of the same moves as Tim Duncan (definite top 5 player in the league).

How long will the Mavs hope to trade one of their shooting guards/small forwards for a Center that can post up and score (very hard to come by)???? All this talk about the Mavs getting Shaq so he can post up and kick it out to Dirk....Why doesn't Dirk just learn to post up so he can kick it out to the CURRENT MAVERICKS, especially if you don't want to lose the current Mavs players to get Shaq???? KG scored 10+ points straight to beat Sacramento in the playoffs and the Wolves came close to beating the Lakers...because he knows how to post up. Even if we get a Center as good as an old David Robinson....Dirk will have to step up his game to a Tim Duncan level to get past the fiesty Mavericks-like teams (w/more post moves and more defense) to win the ring.

My favorite Mavs players in order: Finley, Dirk, Harris, then hopefully Pavel. Friendly discussion please ladies and gentlemen. The question is..........is Dirk too one-dimensional to lead the Mavericks to the promised land???
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Dirk's one Dimension

Watch more games and you'll see Dirk is posting up more. He does have more moves than the jumper. That said, he still needs to post up more and work more moves into his game. Dirk will never be at Duncan's level posting up, but then again he really doesn't need to be that good. Duncan has had much more coaching, years more, on posting up than Dirk has. Dirk can get much better than he is, but he'll never be as good as Duncan. However Duncan will never shoot the 3, or FT's, or the mid range jumper as good as Dirk does. Each player has a different game. More and better postups will make Dirk better at what he does best just as adding a good jumper makes Duncan a better postup threat.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

It will depend on who is guarding Dirk as to whether or not he posts up. For instance, there is no use for Dirk to post up a lot of the big forwards in the West. It's better to stay on the perimeter and kill them that way. Now, when a team puts a small on Dirk, he has to punish that player down low.

I expect Dirk to post more this season. I think he'll work on that. And if you've watched closely, you'll notice that he has been progressively posting more. I think that will continue. I think Dirk will try to come back a little stronger this season since it must be obvious to he and Holger that Dallas is intent on making him the 4 and emergency 5. The days of Dirk at the 3 are long over...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Dirk posts up at the elbow. He really started doing that last year and destroyed most defenders--he was close enough to face up and drain the mid-range jump shot if they didn't body up and quick enough to drive if they did.

I don't know that Dirk will ever post up much on the low block. You've got to be really strong to get and stay that close. Even Duncan is usually closer to the elbow than the low block.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Dirk is so skilled and has such phenomenal footwork that it is a shame that he doesn't post up more. I agree he needs to work on his strength this summer more than anything else.

The funny thing is is that when Dirk is posted up, good things usually happen.

The unfunny thing is that it happens for to infrequently.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie's infatuation with Walker slowed down Dirk's development in the post last year. Nellie has consistently f'ed one thing up or another that has limited Dirk's touches down in the paint. Dirk has been incredibly efficient down low the past year and a half, but the Mavs just run so few plays for him..it becomes difficult to see just how efficient he is down low.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Dirk's one Dimension

Ive posted 100s of times on boards that Dirk posts up more than people think.

Whats the diff is posts up from 15 and shaq from 10?
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

basically the thread is saying:

Dirk has more talent in his one dimension than most people have in all three of theirs.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote