Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 07-07-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default I got kicked out of Fahrenheit 9/11 LOL

Me and two friends got kicked out of the movie theater for standing at the entrance to Fahrenheit 9/11 with a sign saying "What you are about to see is crap".... LOL

Apparently the owner of the theater was brainwashed by this lie-filled propaganda crap, too.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: I got kicked out of Fahrenheit 9/11 LOL

I see the theater owner was a fan of free speech. Which theatre so I can make sure I don't go there. I've already informed my local theatre unfortunately because it was really convenient.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:I got kicked out of Fahrenheit 9/11 LOL

A theater here in PA, you'll probably never be there. And that's a good thing.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

That is funny. It is also something you won't ever see in the news. Had it been the other way around however, it would have hit the national wire.

Great stuff mavsman.....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha... That's great MM...

That reminds me of when I went out with a couple of my buddies (including Mr. Ape) to the Saint Paddies day parade in Dallas a year and a half back, while wearing green shirts that had iron-on letters saying "Fuck France", "Kill Saddam", and "Bomb Iraq" (We hadn't gone to war yet, and the idiotic Frenchies were doing everything they could at the time to stop us in the UN). We took lots of pictures with revelers who wanted to document the amusement of our shirts, and we had more than a few beers pressed into our hands on that fine afternoon.

Of course if we had done that kind of thing in San Francisco, or Boston, or Pennsylvania, we might have elicited a less friendly response, but that is just one of the nicer things about the political climate here in Big D...
Old 07-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Hahaha... That's great MM...

That reminds me of when I went out with a couple of my buddies (including Mr. Ape) to the Saint Paddies day parade in Dallas a year and a half back, while wearing green shirts that had iron-on letters saying "Fuck France", "Kill Saddam", and "Bomb Iraq" (We hadn't gone to war yet, and the idiotic Frenchies were doing everything they could at the time to stop us in the UN). We took lots of pictures with revelers who wanted to document the amusement of our shirts, and we had more than a few beers pressed into our hands on that fine afternoon.

Of course if we had done that kind of thing in San Francisco, or Boston, or Pennsylvania, we might have elicited a less friendly response, but that is just one of the nicer things about the political climate here in Big D...
HAHA!!!
Man, I've got to try that some time. I don't even care if I live in Pennsylvania or not.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #7
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Did you see the film?

which lies were you referring too?

If you haven't seen it, you're missing a great movie.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
mavsman55
Platinum Member

No. It's not worth the $6 or 2 hours.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #9
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

So what exactly is the final tally of people accusing Fahrenheit 9/11 of being full of lies and propaganda but haven't actually seen the movie?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:32 PM   #10
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Definitely not as large as the tally of Americans who believe everything they see.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:36 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

aaaahhhh.....Mman meets epitome.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2004, 03:41 PM   #12
Epitome22
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Definitely not as large as the tally of Americans who believe everything they see.

I dunno, considering all the nitwits I've come across so far accusing Fahrenheit 9/11 of being full of lies and propaganda but upon questioning admit that they "haven't seen it" I would imagine it's fairly close. I'm sure you're a smart guy and will be able to accurately assess the film. Maybe you should watch it, and then briefly detail whatever inaccuracies you found in it. It would be much more convincing then trying to harass moviegoers outside a theatre and prevent them from seeing a film you yourself have never watched.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of reviews on the film which outline in detail its inaccuracies. Personally, I don't really need to go see the movie, because Moore has made it abundantly clear that he views the movie as a political tool to get Bush out of office. That tells me about all I need to know about the film's accuracy, even before I read the reviews.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Epitome- First of all...I have not seen it nor will I contribute a single penny to Moore. That said, I work at a University and have heard many very well educated thinkers and academians discuss this movie here. Even the far left individuals acknowledge that Moore has inserted his own agenda. Many of them qualify their arguments by stating that several things in the movie are obviously fabricated, but not all...for instance....and then they discuss some of their points. Some have sounded valid. Others are just obvious tripe. Like I said, I haven't seen it, but being immersed in an academic community affords you to be a part of great conversations which always allow you to learn something.

I've learned that even teh far left liberal knows that Moore has lied in his film. They still like the film, but that is pretty damning to me.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:01 PM   #15
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Epitome, supporting Michael Moore and his pointless bull crap with my $6.50 would be blasphemous... now that that's cleared up, I've read magazine articles, seen people argue, and seen trailors for this that have fully convinced me that this movie is <u>full</u> of lies. Something which even <u>you</u> can't deny. Why you still like it is beyond me. And why you stand behind a liar like this is still beyond me.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:08 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Even the french claim it' propaganda. Christopher Hitchens raped it. Newsweek went into great detail blowing up the ridiculous carlyle group tie-in.

Why would I want to provide money to someone who hates american, thinks iraqis killing our soldiers are freedom fighters and basically is willing to put any amount of propaganda out there to sell a movie. The saddest part in my opinion is the complete tie-in to the democrat party. With the leadership of the democrat party actually willing to be associated with this trash, it basically means that there is only one responsible political party in america.

That is not a good. But the dems have marginalized themselves and cannot be trusted with the reigns of power. They desperately need a coup.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Epitome22
So what exactly is the final tally of people accusing Fahrenheit 9/11 of being full of lies and propaganda but haven't actually seen the movie?
So exactly what is the tally of people who haven't read Mein Kampf by Adolph Hitler, yet accuse it to be full of lies and propaganda?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:07 PM   #18
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been waiting for a ripped camcorder version of the movie to appear online so I can download it. I have read enough about this douche-rag of a propaganda movie to know that it is largely hogwash, but I will wait to see it until I can steal Moore's intellectual property rights to do so...
Old 07-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #19
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

here's a better quality version available at no charge
----------------------------------------------------------------
Controversial film-maker Michael Moore has welcomed the appearance on the internet of pirated copies of his anti-Bush documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 and claimed he is happy for anybody to download it free of charge.
The activist, author and director told the Sunday Herald that, as long as pirated copies of his film were not being sold, he had no problem with it being downloaded.

“I don’t agree with the copyright laws and I don’t have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it with people as long as they’re not trying to make a profit off my labour. I would oppose that,” he said.

“I do well enough already and I made this film because I want the world, to change. The more people who see it the better, so I’m happy this is happening.”

Moore’s views have not been well received by Hollywood’s establishment, which is fighting a war against the online pirates it claims cost the industry £1.6 billion a year in lost sales.

Jack Valenti, the outgoing president of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), said: “We are proud that American films continue to enjoy immense popularity around the world but the need for copyright protection in the digital age is crucial to the preservation of our most prized trade asset.

“Piracy is having a dramatic impact on the creators and copyright owners of this nation, and its defeat depends largely on the commit ment and resolve of the entire industry.

“File sharing causes tremendous financial loss to the movie business, untold hardship to support workers, and costs thousands of jobs.”

Distributed via websites such as suprnova.org, which lays claim to having served more than 17 million downloads, Moore’s documentary critique of the Bush administration’s red, white and blue rush into war with Iraq is among the web’s hottest properties.

Thousands of copies of Fahrenheit 9/11 have already been downloaded, each taking about 3.5 hours over a broadband connection.

Ironically, the burgeoning underground market for Moore’s much-debated documentary has been championed by both sides of the political divide. While left-wing sites promote the film’s message, opponents of the high-profile polemicist are urging people to “steal” their copy, thus denying its director his cut of the profits.

Last month the website of producers Lions Gate Films was subjected to a barrage of attacks by hackers, with one creating a link to a download destination on the site’s front page.

Despite up to 150 people simultaneously bagging free copies of its most valuable property at any given time 24 hours a day, Lions Gate says it has no plans to oppose the practice. While unwilling to make any official statement likely to further provoke Hollywood’s heavy hitters, the film company appears to have fallen into line with its director’s laissez-faire approach.

Moore said: “Is it wrong for someone who’s bought a film on DVD to let a friend watch it for free? Of course it’s not. It never has been and never will be. I think information, art and ideas should be shared.”

Defenders of Moore’s position include Pulp Fiction director Quentin Tarantino, who earlier this year encouraged audiences in countries where his films are not legally available to obtain counterfeit copies.

The furore engulfing Moore is just the latest in a series of controversies surrounding the film. Almost smothered by original production company Miramax’s refusal to distribute the final cut, he also this year launched an unsuccessful legal attempt to overturn the MPAA’s decision to give the documentary an “R” rating, which barred under-16s from seeing the movie without an adult.

Opposed by Move America Forward, a conservative group set up to dissuade cinemas from showing the film, Fahrenheit 9/11 has become one of the most controversial productions in Hollywood history. Last month Australian distributors Hopscotch Films claimed to have received e-mails warning that if the company went ahead with its planned release of the movie, it would do so “at our own peril”.

The hubbub is unlikely to subside any time soon. With Lions Gate reporting that DVD rights are likely to be won by Disney-owned Buena Vista Home Entertainment, many commentators believe the digital distribution network may yet face serious opposition.

Valenti said: “Nobody can allow their rights to be stolen because, if you can’t retrieve your investment, you’re out of the movie business,

“I don’t think there’s really a single actor or director in the world who does not believe that if you don’t combat piracy, it will devour you in the future.”

04 July 2004

http://www.sundayherald.com/43167
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote