Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-12-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
SRRB

SRRB is on a distinguished road
Default What is the plan?

Now that the mavericks are out of the Shaq sweepstakes, what is the plan?

Given the current roster (after trimming down), it is hard for this team to make the playoffs. They had a hole at the center, now add to that another at the point. They have also lost the sixth man of the year, to get a future PG (who I have heard is more of a shoot first PG) and two stiff's that nobody knows how they will fit in.

Dirk will not be himself without Nash, who was always looking for him on the court. It would be nice if Dirk took over and lead the team, which I know he cannot (there are several who would argue otherwise). He has taken a step backward last season, but you could attribute that to Walker and Jamison who were added to that mix last season. Let us see what he can do this year - there is still some hope that he can deliver in the Maverick's front office, otherwise why would they not trade him to get Shaq. If the Mavericks do not get (and use) a legitimate center, he probably would be forced to play center where he will suck.

To fill the center position they are talks about getting about a sign-n-trade to get either Dampier or BigZ. Dampier - I would not bet on, since look at all the ridiculous offers being made to free agents and Dampier has not been given one yet and not withoput a reason. Nobody trusts that Dampier can deliver. That leaves us with BigZ, who might be liked by the Nelson's since he can shoot some three's but he is nowhere close being a force in the paint. Add to that what do you have to loose to get him here.

That still leaves us looking out for a quality starting point guard, not many are available through free agency. Even if they find one it will take him some time to figure out Nelson's offense (it is still Nelson's offense that drives this team not his defensive coaching, which is none. I do not believe Nelson will ever be able to coach a defensive oriented team.).

All said and done, I am disappointed with the moves made and not made by the Mavericks. Let us wait and see what happens next?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:What is the plan?

Dirk will need to rise above the loss of Nash. If he is to be a superstar, then he needs to play with the guys on his team and not get wrapped up with the fact that Nash is no longer here. I'm not trying to diminsh the Nash-factor, all I'm saying is that Dirk needs to suck it up and play.

As for the center issue: Cuban needs to go get Dampier. He is the best available center out there other than Shaq. Don't get another power forward and be forced to play Dirk at the center position.

As for the point guard situation: Daniels needs to grow up and learn the position. This may be a long year, but if Daniels can learn that position it can really pay off for the Mavs in the long run.

In short, this will be a down year for the Mavs. As fans, we can't expect too much. For me, as long as they continue to show improvement in the year, I will be satisfied with that for now. It sucks, but that's the reality of the situation.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Now that the mavericks are out of the Shaq sweepstakes, what is the plan?

Ain't got no plan.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

I would definitely prefer Dampier over Big Z. Same blocks, same age, but Dampier outrebounds Big Z. Either has the chance to be an all-star in the West now that Shaq is going to Miami.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: bcrav4
I would definitely prefer Dampier over Big Z. Same blocks, same age, but Dampier outrebounds Big Z. Either has the chance to be an all-star in the West now that Shaq is going to Miami.
I would add that Big Z has had more injuries which would be another knock on him.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote