Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-20-2004, 05:15 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dampier is going to be a Knick?

Stan Kroenke calls Denver "one of the top three teams in the West"

Once all-star forward Kenyon Martin became a Nugget on Thursday, there was a small celebration on a ranch in British Columbia.

"I had a very cold beer with my brother and my business associates," Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke said in a telephone interview Saturday from his Canadian ranch. "And I enjoyed it very immensely."

After the New Jersey Nets signed Martin to a seven-year, $92.5 million contract Thursday, the Nuggets acquired him in a sign-and-trade deal for three first-round draft picks.

Kroenke has been a fan of Martin's since he played collegiately at Cincinnati and was named the 2000 college basketball player of the year.

The 6-foot-9, 235-pounder became an all-star for the first time last season. He has played in two NBA Finals, and has strong leadership abilities. But what made Kroenke interested in Martin was when Martin scored 22 points to lead the Nets to a 95-91 victory, without injured all-star guard Jason Kidd, over the host Nuggets on March 2.

"That kid was tough," Kroenke said. "He did all the tough things to win the game. Before the stretch, there were a lot of players playing their tails off. But at the end of the game, he played his tail off without the all-star point guard to make sure they won.

"I've watched him play since college. He was head and shoulders above everyone before he broke his leg (as a senior). He was still drafted first (in 2000). He is a great player with leadership qualities."

There were a lot of coveted free agents this summer, but according to Kroenke, the two best were Martin and Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant.

Kroenke and Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe visited Bryant and his agent, Rob Pelinka, two weeks ago in Southern California. Bryant is considered one of the NBA's best players, and the Nuggets had a need for a shooting guard.

While Kroenke acknowledged a "low probability" of signing Bryant and Martin, he did believe Bryant was sincere about his interest in Denver. Bryant, who faces a sexual-assault trial in Eagle next month, re-signed with the Lakers last week.

"Kobe's interest was legit," Kroenke said. "(The Lakers) were his No. 1 choice due to the economic system. One thing Kobe knew for sure is he would have fit in (with the Nuggets) with the basketball side. The economic side didn't work out."

Here is Kroenke's view on other Nuggets topics:

* On how good the Nuggets are now: "With our team from last season, we could match and compete with most teams. Now if you come in (to Denver) and you're one of the best teams, we can beat you. Last season, we thought we could beat you. This season, we're going to strap it on. ... I think we're one of the top three teams in the West. You can make that argument."

* On whether he is surprised the Nuggets have gone from being tied with Cleveland for having the NBA's worst record two seasons ago to being viewed as one of the elite teams: "It's a building process. Am I surprised? In basketball, you can change quicker than in other (sports)."

* On whether it was tough for him to give up three draft picks for Martin: "Sure, picks are assets. They were some good picks. But at the same time, you're getting a No. 1 pick. We used our assets for a great player, and we didn't have to alter our team."

* On opting against signing Martin to an offer sheet that could have potentially left the Nuggets with Martin and the three first-round picks or without Martin if the Nets matched the offer sheet: "(By going that route), you don't know if you get him. A scenario arrives where you could end up with nothing. I'm not a big worrier. But, signing someone to an offer sheet isn't the same as getting the player. We got the player."

* On Martin's long-term and lucrative contract: "He has a history of showing he can play at a high level. It was a quality investment for the Nuggets."

* On his expectations for the Nuggets: "We have high expectations. I just live that way. ... We have dreams of winning a championship. We made a step in the right direction."

Denver Post Article
Old 07-20-2004, 07:47 AM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:Dampier is going to be a Knick?

Why on earth did you post the same article twice in consecutive days starting a new thread each time?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:59 AM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stan Kroenke calls his Nuggets, "one of the top three teams in the West"

I did it just for you Dooby...
Old 07-20-2004, 08:06 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Stan Kroenke calls his Nuggets, "one of the top three teams in the West"

I love Stan Kroenke as an owner. I think he is being a bit of a fan here, but it is not too hard to argue that the Nuggets will be a VERY good team this year. Finally. I've been waiting for this for years.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:44 PM   #5
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all
Default RE:Stan Kroenke calls his Nuggets, "one of the top three teams in the West"

Bad news for Bzdelik. Maybe he can live up to those expectations but I doubt it. At what point in the season will they be looking for a new scapegoat uh, er coach.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Bzdelik could just as easily be coach of the year.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:07 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Stan Kroenke calls his Nuggets, "one of the top three teams in the West"

The Nugs have a legit shot at being one of the top 3 teams although they will probably still have to overachieve somewhat and get a little lucky to get there. But it's certainly not beyond the stretch of imagination by any means.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:20 AM   #8
NBAGnome

NBAGnome is on a distinguished road

They look pretty tough...

They've only really added Martin so far, IF they can get Hassell then they look real tough, that guy is a great roleplayer, but i don't know if they will.

Martin is going to help them for sure, but i think more than anything their emergence as a top tier team next season depends on Anthony, and how big of a jump he can make in his 2nd season. He didn't win rookie of the year, but he still averaged 21 points, and i think Anthony is going to become a offensive force sooner than James...hes almost there...just needs to be more consistent. He showed some wicked flashes though...this guy is going to average 25 points on 45%+ shooting eventually and its not going to take him long.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:37 AM   #9
withoutmalice

withoutmalice is on a distinguished road

I think teams will key on C. Anthony more this year after his great rookie season, and that was one of the reasons why DEN added another decent scorer (among other things) in K. Martin: to reduce the attention paid to Anthony. When you look at DEN's roster from last year, Anthony was far and away the team's best and most consistent scoring option. I think DEN's offense from the post (PF/C) will be greatly upgraded with K. Martin the starter at PF and Nene the starter at C. Nene's post game and defense are improving quickly and he has prototypical size and bulk for the C position. The defensively-sound but offensively-challenged Marcus Camby will move to a backup role at C/PF providing a great spark off the bench.
withoutmalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:17 PM   #10
jabbadahut

jabbadahut is on a distinguished road

nugz looks good on paper, but they still have to go out on the court and play well. collecting talent doesn't necessarily equate to winning... *ahem* mavs.
jabbadahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:41 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

The Nuggets will start Andre Miller, Carmelo, Camby, Nene and Martin.....fyi.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:25 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Nuggets just don't impress me much. Their roster looks great and i'd say they have one of the top 3 rosters in the league but like someone posted above they have to perform. They still have alot of youth and i'm not sure if Andre Miller is the pg that cann take them far in the playoffs. Arguably their best player is only 20 years old so you have to factor that in to. I think as of right now you have to put the Spurs, Kings and T-Wolves ahead of them due to experience. The homer in me wants to also list the Mavs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #13
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Martin as a 3? How will that work?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #14
withoutmalice

withoutmalice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
If they do that lineup, they only have 2 perimeter-shooters on the floor, plus no legitimate backup at PF/C. The Nugs will sign T. Hassell or another defensive stopper to play SG. There's no way Camby or Martin have the quicks to guard a SF.
withoutmalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:05 PM   #15
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: withoutmalice
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
If they do that lineup, they only have 2 perimeter-shooters on the floor, plus no legitimate backup at PF/C. The Nugs will sign T. Hassell or another defensive stopper to play SG. There's no way Camby or Martin have the quicks to guard a SF.
it's hard to see vandeweghe giving camby 10 mill a year to come off the bench..he is in the prime of his career....maybe in two or three years, he will be the backup but not this year

martin is pretty damn quick....i think he could guard SF's...but the depth is going to be a problem..they will probably switch between nene and camby and use elson off the bench at center..skitishvilli will be the backup at PF

rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote