Hawks?

Local radio in the ATL reports Dampier is a Hawk
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dampier signs with the.....?

5 yrs @ 42 mil?

Overpaid.....of course, relative to Foyle's deal it's a bargain.....otherwise....yuck.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Dampier signs with the.....?

It is like a 3 year extension on his prior contract. If I was Dallas, I would have offered that much to him.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Are you kidding me? I hope that's a false report. We could have easily offered 5 years 42 million through sign and trade. I don't even believe that we want a big man though. Anyways, it could be false.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt Dallas would have offered more than 4 years. And regardless, Dallas could only get him if Golden State were willing to cooperate. There are no guarantees that they would/did accomodate the Mavs, even if whatever money they might have offered to Damp was enough to entice him personally.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:13 PM   #6
uberfan
Golden Member

I don't think they would have done so much to accomodate the Mavs as to accomodate his agent accoeding to most reports. The real person who have to agree to a contract would be Dampier.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think they would have done so much to accomodate the Mavs as to accomodate his agent accoeding to most reports. The real person who have to agree to a contract would be Dampier.
Perhaps you misread my post (assuming that's what you were replying to). Of course Dampier has to agree to the contract. I said as much. That doesn't change the fact that if GS won't cooperate on a S&T there's no way the Mavs could pay Dampier anything over the vet minimum. Either party doesn't like what the Mavs are offering and it's a no go.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:38 PM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
Perhaps you misread my post (assuming that's what you were replying to). Of course Dampier has to agree to the contract. I said as much. That doesn't change the fact that if GS won't cooperate on a S&T there's no way the Mavs could pay Dampier anything over the vet minimum. Either party doesn't like what the Mavs are offering and it's a no go.
Not to put words in his mouth, but I think Uber was refering to the fact that Dampier shares an agent with Troy Murphy and Jason Richardson. The feeling is that Chris Mullen will bend over backwards to appease Dampier so as not to alienate Dan Fegan and reduce his chances of signing Murphy and Richardson to extensions.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:46 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
The feeling is that Chris Mullen will bend over backwards to appease Dampier so as not to alienate Dan Fegan and reduce his chances of signing Murphy and Richardson to extensions.
Ah. They're treading a thin line in that case, then. Most of the public statements I've seen from GS have been them maintaining that they wouldn't do "courtesy" sign and trades (I know there's plenty of posturing in those statements). That, and the fact that I'm not entirely sure what they'd want from the Mavs (that the Mavs would/should give up), is the reason I think they could be just as much a spoiler in any efforts to obtain Damp as salary considerations.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:27 PM   #10
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Is this true? ESPN & Yahoo Sports aren't reporting it.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
The feeling is that Chris Mullen will bend over backwards to appease Dampier so as not to alienate Dan Fegan and reduce his chances of signing Murphy and Richardson to extensions.
Ah. They're treading a thin line in that case, then. Most of the public statements I've seen from GS have been them maintaining that they wouldn't do "courtesy" sign and trades (I know there's plenty of posturing in those statements). That, and the fact that I'm not entirely sure what they'd want from the Mavs (that the Mavs would/should give up), is the reason I think they could be just as much a spoiler in any efforts to obtain Damp as salary considerations.
That is exactly what I was referring to, GS working with Dan Fegan and therefore accomodating Dampier. No, they aren't going to take crap contracts as an accomodation. That is why the Knicks offer originally made sense. They were going to get an expiring contract and a backup C (whom I think would end up being the starter because of Foyle's injury history).

From the Mavs I only see two guys not name Howard who could possibly help GS. Najera to fill the void left by Cardinal. Stackhouse as insurance in case JRich bolts next year.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

If that's the contract Dampier gets i'm disgusted that we didn't even attempt to sign him.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:02 PM   #13
withoutmalice

withoutmalice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
If that's the contract Dampier gets i'm disgusted that we didn't even attempt to sign him.
I second that emohhhtion....
withoutmalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:32 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ummm we couldn't have signed him.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:40 PM   #15
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Why focus on these minor, insignificant details, Erica?[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #16
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Guys, I don't think this is done. In fact, it may never get done. I think that several other teams are still in the running and considering increasing their offers.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:41 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he gives a darn where he signs- it's all up to Golden State I believe. The wooing has begun but its hard to imagine that it's over. Shopping him may be the only smart thing they did in the offseason.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:47 PM   #18
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
I mean as a sign and trade. You could've afford Stack. Maybe the Warriors wouldn't have wanted that but it still wouldn't hurt to atleast propose something. I kept getting the impression from this board that he wanted a 70 million dollar deal. That was something I didn't want to be a part of but for a 5 year 42 to mill deal that's not that bad of a contract at all.

1996-2005
Old 07-22-2004, 12:01 AM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

FFM, how do you know what we offered?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:23 AM   #20
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Atlanta Journal:

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY -- The Hawks are waiting to hear from Erick Dampier regarding the contract offer they extended the Golden State Warriors free agent center over a seafood dinner this week. General manager Billy Knight wouldn't disclose the terms of the offer, but said he isn't budging from it -- and he may be standing on firmer ground after a major trade Tuesday.

EMAIL THIS
PRINT THIS
MOST POPULAR

The Warriors acquired forward/center Dale Davis and former Hawks point guard Dan Dickau from the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for point guard Nick Van Exel.

The trade could affect the New York Knicks' ability to pull off a sign-and-trade deal with the Warriors in which the Knicks would swap Nazr Mohammed and Othella Harrington for Dampier. Knight wouldn't speculate on how the trade affects the Hawks' chances of landing the best free agent center on the market.

"I can't say what they have going on," Knight said, speaking of the Warriors.

The Knicks have pursued Dampier the most intensely and were prepared to offer him a six-year deal starting at $9 million per season. The Hawks are unwilling to pay that amount, although they have about $12 million in cap space to spend. Knight's interest in Dampier, however, is strong, given the Hawks' need for size and his personal connection with a player he helped draft for the Indiana Pacers in 1996.

"Obviously, I know Damp," Knight said. "He's a double-double player. We feel like that's what he's going to do."

But where? After averaging career-highs with 12.3 points and 11.9 rebounds and finishing seventh in double-doubles with 42 last season, Dampier opted out of contract which would pay him about $17 million over the next two seasons.

His options, however, are dwindling. The Memphis Grizzlies and Indiana were also interested in Dampier, but the Warriors reportedly wanted Stromile Swift from the Grizzlies or Jonathan Bender from the Pacers, two players those teams are unwilling to part with.

The Hawks hope Dampier can make a decision soon because they are also interested in Swift.

Paying a visit

Knight caught a flight for Phoenix Tuesday night, and he will spend today with his former coach Cotton Fitzsimmons. Fitzsimmons, who coached both Knight and Mike Woodson in Kansas City, is battling lung cancer, but his health is deteriorating after he recently had a stroke. Woodson visited with Fitzsimmons, 72, on the Hawks' day off Sunday.

"He's a good man," Knight said. "Full of so much life and energy."

Fitzsimmons compiled a 832-775 record in almost 20 seasons as a coach. He was voted NBA coach of the year twice, in 1979 in Kansas City and 1989 with the Suns.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:23 AM   #21
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

"If that's the contract Dampier gets i'm disgusted that we didn't even attempt to sign him." and "but it still wouldn't hurt to at least propose something"

People make the assumption that when a player goes elsewhere, that somehow the Mavs didnt want him or didnt try. You never know. They may be right in the middle of things all the way. You dont know who they like or want, and who they dont.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:51 AM   #22
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty sure that the Mavs want no part of Dumpier, even at the price Atlanta is offering.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:53 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
I'm pretty sure that the Mavs want no part of Dumpier, even at the price Atlanta is offering.
I hope you're wrong. It would be disappointing for this organization to not have interest in Dampier.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:31 AM   #24
uberfan
Golden Member

Norm just said his sources are saying that GS wants a SF in a deal for Dampier.

I wonder, Walker to Philly, GRob to GS, Dampier to Mavs (with all the necessary pieces to make a contract work)?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:32 AM   #25
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully this Atlanta-Dampier deal will be agreed upon today...
Old 07-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #26
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

If we can get him anywhere close to $42M/5yrs, I'd do it in a heartbeat. They can pick and choose any player or two that's over age 27yrs to match his salary in a S&T.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:22 AM   #27
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully this Atlanta-Dampier deal will be agreed upon today...
I'm hoping that he lands in New York. I would really enjoy the sound of Knick fans booing him for the next six years. I would also enjoy Dampier crippling Isiah Thomas' cap flexibility for the next six years. I would enjoy it if Thomas leaves his new franchise in as bad of shape as he left Toronto.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #28
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
"If that's the contract Dampier gets i'm disgusted that we didn't even attempt to sign him." and "but it still wouldn't hurt to at least propose something"

People make the assumption that when a player goes elsewhere, that somehow the Mavs didnt want him or didnt try. You never know. They may be right in the middle of things all the way. You dont know who they like or want, and who they dont.
Because this happened last offseason with Kandi. He's gone for the midlevel exception but Mavs didn't even attempt to offer that because they felt they could only get him for a much higher salary. Granted the Kandi thing hasn't worked out to well but still.

1996-2005
Old 07-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
FFM, how do you know what we offered?
Because I haven't heard anything about the Mavs being even interested in Damp. I hear the Knicks are. I hear the Hawks are but what about the Mavs?

1996-2005