Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-31-2002, 05:50 PM   #1
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I started this partly to get yalls opinions and and partly to whine. Our coaches have us doing a warm-up set and then 3 burn-out sets on squat, bench, hang clean, and deadlift on Mon., Wed., and Fri. It sucks. The powerlifting team(I couldn't be on because I broke my hand) does a full-body workout Mon.-Fri. I'm no expert, but that can't be healthy.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:19 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

A full body workout five days in a row?! If there ever was a definition for overtraining, that would be it. I've heard of powerlifters working the same muscle groups up to three days a week (since their focus is on strength rather than muscle gain), but beyond that is crazy. I only do squats, deads, and bench press once a week, and sometimes that doesn't feel like an adequate amount of time to rest up. I'm sure the coaches want to train for explosiveness and strength, so your training regimen would most likely differ from that of a bodybuilder's..but still, I don't see how you guys can follow that routine without overtraining. Common results of overtraining are muscle atrophy and injury. Not exactly the results I'd want from spending all that time in the gym.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 07:12 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, i work out full body 3 times a week..
with running all days of the week

however, with all the running, i don't focus as much on the legs... i do maybe 3-4 different weight training exercises with the legs to keep from getting too drained
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:46 PM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

FT -- just screw around during the workout, so you end up doing less. That's what we always did in high school. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

hmmm, maybe that's why we sucked....
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:51 AM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Do less and you'll probably still end up growing stronger faster than the other guys on the team. Doing squats and deads more than twice a week is crazy. I don't know of anyone who does that, even guys on gear.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:26 AM   #6
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

FT when I was in college, they had us on some ridiculous workout like that and I NEVER thought it was healthy. FIVE DAYS IN A ROW is not good. However five days a week isn't bad though depending upon what you do. It's not good to work the same muscle in a row. You should give atleast 24 hours after working one muscle group. However coaches are sick that way, they don't care, they think it's not a bad thing to workout CRAZY...
Old 02-02-2002, 03:50 PM   #7
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Are coach last year had us do upper body 2 days a week and lower body 2 days a week. And he brought us 3 of the last 4 state championships in powerlifting. But our head coach left so he did too.

Rhylan...good advice. The room is pretty packed so they can't see everything.
Old 02-02-2002, 04:50 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

three days a week complete body work out..however, i don't go overboard on the legs though...
7 days a week cardio work out
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 07:20 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

Flying Tiger~

The workout you mentioned (2 days lower, 2 days upper) sounds like something your current coach should consider. I doubt anyone - both bodybuilder and powerlifter alike - would benefit from the regimen he's currently got you guys on.

Murph~

Seven days of cardio a week is definitely overtraining unless you're some kind of marathon runner. If you're going at the right intensity, seven days will just burn up your muscle (the resulting catabolic environment your body is experiencing will lead to muscle atrophy) and prevent you from making any decent size gains (I'm referring to 20-35min cardio sessions on a bike, treadmill, etc). Then again, I don't know what your goals are, so increasing lbm/muscle mass may not be your goal. Personally, I leave the full body workouts to newbies, women, and experienced bodybuilders (though they tend to have only one full body workout a week, or two at the very most). Working the same muscle groups more than twice a week does more harm than good. Plus I don't think I could handle doing deads or squats more than once a week.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:54 PM   #10
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Yeah...when I'm out of high school that'll probably be the end of squats. Unless I play in college.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:58 PM   #11
djb
Administrator

Nah ya gotta keep on squattin man [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Only way to get big is to squat and do some deads. That's pretty much why I wasn't very big the first year or two of workin out..
Old 02-04-2002, 01:30 AM   #12
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Hey DJ, I have a question about your statement: "Working the same muscle groups more than twice a week does more harm than good." Does that apply to my case? I'm not going for bulk, obviously, and I don't get anywhere near maxing out. Under these circumstances, is it okay to work the same muscle groups every other day?
Old 02-04-2002, 10:33 AM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well smile at me, I think I can answer that question. I don't think I'm an expert but I have read alot on weightlifting, etc. Working out the same muscle groups more than twice in a week doesn't give your muscles a chance to recover. Therefore you end up not doing anything to them when you're not lifting heavy and when you are lifting heavy, there is more chance for injury. The purpose of doing it twice in a week is to give it a chance to recover then working it out the second time is what's known as "shocking the muscles" and that's where you get results from. Working it out three or four times a week ends up not giving your muscles a chance to recover, therefore the muscles never gets a chance to develop. That may not be that clear and maybe someone else can explain it better, but that's pretty much how it happens.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:43 PM   #14
djb
Administrator

Kid pretty much nailed it. Working out the same muscle groups more than twice a week will lead to overtraining which in turn will result in a) possible injury and b) muscle atrophy (the opposite of hypertrophy, which is muscle growth and development). You don't grow and develop muscle while pounding the weights in the gym. That's only about 30% of the entire muscle-building process. Getting proper rest and maintaining a diet make up the other 70%.

I know some guys who only work out once or twice a week - total. That's more on the extreme side though (a few only do one total body workout a week)..I'd say the norm is 3-4 days a week depending on your workout split. Though if you're hitting the sauce, then I'm sure you can go 5-6 days easily without overtraining.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:28 AM   #15
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Thank you Kid and DJ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'm pretty naive I guess: What is the sauce? *giggle* Are you talking about 'roids?! Did you forget? I dropped out of an endocrinology program (grad school) there's no way I'd mess with them when I totally know better! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Besides, as a woman, I prefer to be toned, not big.
Thanks for the great info, and for sharing your expertise. I will make the switch.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:21 PM   #16
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

Take this information for what its worth, but most of it is facts. You should give your muscles 72 hours to recover from a workout. Even on steroids, you should give them at least 48 hours. Doing the same muscle group 3 times a week is doing more harm than good. You should also only work out 5 days a week at the most on weights. Your body needs to heal. Its like your car. You put the gas to the floor from red light to red light, it eventually going to blow the engine. YOur body is the same way. Especially high school kids, your body is still growing. Your high school coach needs to get his head out of his ass because that kind of workout isnt right.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 10:58 AM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

Speaking of which does anyone have any good ab excercises other than crunches.. I've been trying these new ab excercises that are like twists and they are HARD, but I want additional ab excercises if anyone has any?
Old 02-13-2002, 03:55 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

I just stick to the basics..incline crunches, reverse crunches, weighted flat/incline crunches, and weighted side bends. I hear a lot of people saying how killer the burn is for doing those bicycle crunches. The ones where you're lying flat on your back, legs up in the air doing a cycling motion, and your upper body doing the oblique crunch movements. The hanging ab exercises are also good. Just stick to the basics, do cardio a few times a week, and watch your diet.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:36 PM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

thanks DJ... Yeah the diet is the main part.. I hate that I can see my abs but this layer of fat is over it...
Old 02-13-2002, 05:17 PM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, i have to lay off the weights for a couple weeks. just got a tattoo, and i can't do any lifting until it heals. hopefully i won't lose too much when i get back into it, i was doing pretty well before this...
Old 02-13-2002, 05:19 PM   #21
TheKid
Diamond Member

The tatoo hurts that much??? That sucks..
Old 02-13-2002, 05:23 PM   #22
djb
Administrator

What kind of tattoo did you get BBL and where? I'm planning on getting a couple real soon. One having something to do with my mother (around my ankle) and probably one on my upper back below the neck. Not sure exactly what I want yet though. I've gotten a bunch of piercings the last few years but never something as permanent as a tattoo.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:46 AM   #23
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

no it's not that it hurts... well, i mean, this one did hurt more than my last one (when it was applied), cause it runs along my spine for part of it (any tattoo right over bone is gonna hurt... spine, ankle, etc.). but i can't lift while it's healing because lifting will stretch the skin, and the tattoo could become distorted.

i mean, it would hurt if someone hit it, but that doesn't happen. actually, right now, it's itching like crazy. not allowed to scratch it either. lucky for me though, i can't reach it to scratch it, so the temptation isn't there. it's on the middle of my back.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:16 PM   #24
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Well, our head coach was fired after a wopping 1 year. So we won't be doing this too much longer.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:12 AM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

My workouts consist of a steady 7 day workout involving the lifting of multiple cold beers. Oh yeah, and karate 4 days a week. Serious about htose beers though...I have bitchin' tab pulling muscles.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote