Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-01-2002, 08:00 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

obviously, LOTR: The two towers..
i fully suspect it will be better than the first..the second book is better than the first...can you imagine?

well, here's some more of the upcoming movies:

2002 movies are mixed bag
By Jeff Vice
Deseret News movie critic

How was 2001 for you?
It's only a week into 2002, and I'm already much more excited about the new year than the previous one. For example, it's not exactly a secret that I'm looking forward to the superhero adventure "Spider-Man," which opens May 3. And my excitement has only risen with repeated viewings of the awesome 2 1/2-minute trailer, which is playing in front of "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring." I only hope it isn't giving too much away.
But there are at least another dozen films scheduled to open during the year that provoke initial reactions that are nearly as strong — four that I'm breathlessly anticipating, four that I'm dreading and four more that have me both thrilled and worried.

THE MUST-SEES:

DEATH TO SMOOCHY (March 22). The idea behind this dark comedy from director Danny DeVito is funny: a deadly one-upsmanship between children's-show hosts (Robin Williams and Edward Norton).

THE ICE AGE (March 15). Fox's digitally-animated comedy has the funniest trailer out there, which bodes well for the movie itself.

Mel Gibson in "Signs," a new thriller by M. Night Shyamalan.

Frank Masi, SMPSP

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS (Dec. 18). Both director Peter Jackson and star Elijah Wood have been claiming that each installment in the movie trilogy gets progressively better. Can you imagine?

SIGNS (Aug. 2). I'm eager to see how director M. Night Shyamalan bounces back from 1999's "Unbreakable," which has gained a cult following but was seen as a disappointment when it was released theatrically.

THE MOST-FEARED:

THE COUNTRY BEARS (July 26). A live-action musical-comedy based on the lamest attraction at Disneyland (save perhaps "It's a Small World&quot? Ugh!

CROSSROADS (Feb. 15). If I wind up praising Britney Spears' first starring performance, I'm sure to hear from parents who hate what she represents. If not, I'll surely hear from hordes of her teenage fans.

HALLOWEEN: HOMECOMING (October, undated). The slasher horror series probably should have ended after the first (and best) film, and definitely should have ended with "Halloween: H20."

ROLLERBALL (Feb. 8). If "Spider-Man" has the best trailer, this remake has the worst. Doofy Chris Klein as an action hero? Get real!

THE IN-BETWEENS:

HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS (Nov. 15). With apologies to Potter-philes, Chris Columbus' by-the-book, big-screen adaptation of the first Potter novel bored me. And Columbus is back for the sequel.

Queen Latifah, center, with a couple of Disney's Country Bears.

Richard Cartwright, Walt Disney Pictures

STAR TREK X: NEMESIS (December, undated). It's an even-numbered "Trek" film, so it should be good. So why do I have a bad feeling that this may be the one that disproves the odd-even quality theory?

STAR WARS: EPISODE II — ATTACK OF THE CLONES (May 16). An 'N Sync cameo? More Jar-Jar? What is George Lucas thinking? (Probably that we'll all go see it no matter what he does.)

THE TIME MACHINE (March 8). Like many, I'm a huge fan of George Pal's 1960 adaptation of the H.G. Wells novel. So I'm suspicious of a big-budget remake — even one directed by Wells' great-grandson.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "I never really thought about being an actor . . . I was intended to be a diplomat, but I would have been a disaster, because I have a habit of saying what I think." — "Fellowship of the Ring" co-star Christopher Lee, reflecting on his 40-years-plus acting career.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2002, 08:03 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Spider-Man is a movie I definitely want to see.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah..i hear you..looking forward to it..
i can't wait for the two towers though..it will be much better than the first..and the first was awesome..
have you seen it MFFL?
Old 02-02-2002, 12:30 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

the guy that plays spider man is a great actor..wasn't he in cider house rules?
great movie
Old 02-02-2002, 12:43 AM   #5
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Yes he was. Tpby McGuire

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 01:00 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

great movie..and he's a very good actor..he was also in a movie involving michael douglas as a writer ..i believe..

well, he's giong to be someone to definitely keep an eye on
Old 02-02-2002, 01:05 AM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< yeah..i hear you..looking forward to it..
i can't wait for the two towers though..it will be much better than the first..and the first was awesome..
have you seen it MFFL?
>>

Please don't hurt me but I haven't seen it yet. I didn't go when it first came out because of the crowds and then everyone I know has seen it and I didn't want to go with someone who had already seen it and...

I'll hoping to see it next week. I've got a meeting with some theatre promotions guy about the Spider-Man movie and the Star Wars movie and I'll see it afterwards.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:07 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

did you see that about n'sync making a guest appearence in the new star wars movie..how gay is that?

I'll go see it with you..i won't ruin it or anything..hell, i enjoy it more each time i see it again.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:09 AM   #9
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Lucas pulled the plug on the n'sync appearance because word leaked out on the net and pissed off a lot of star wars fanatics.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 01:11 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

good..that would ruin the movie so much.
the last one sucked enough..why screw things up more.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:16 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

<< Lucas pulled the plug on the n'sync appearance because word leaked out on the net and pissed off a lot of star wars fanatics. >>

I have heard a couple of different stories on that issue and I am taking a wait and see attitude. I know his adopted daughter is crazy for the band and Lucas is crazy about his daughter. I don't think Lucas cares what the fanatics think - they'll see it anyway.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:21 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

i hope not..i would love for him to take it on the chin a bit...
even though taking it on the chin would mean the movie only made 180 million in the U.S.

i can't imagine how huge LOTR would have been if it wasn't 3 hours long.. it would probably be over 325 million in the u.s. if it were a 2 hour movie..however, making it into a 2 hour movie would be impossible
Old 02-02-2002, 01:31 AM   #13
MFFL
Guru

Lucas has already done MANY moves that have cost him money. Why didn't Episode 1 come out on DVD at the same time as the VHS? Why would Jar-Jar be in this movie? EVERYONE hated him. I'd rather see InSync than that idiot.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:32 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

i don't know...he's ruining something that so many people held sacred.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:33 AM   #15
MFFL
Guru

But as a marketing move InSync is brilliant. What is the one audience that DOESN'T see Star Wars - 12 year old girls. What IS InSync's target audience - 12 year old girls.
Old 02-02-2002, 04:57 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

would it drive enough people away from the movie though?
would the guys that see it 3-5 times only see it once or twice?..very possible
Old 02-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #17
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

It's his to ruin.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 11:09 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

The trailer for Spider-Man before Malcom in the Middle WAS INCREDIBLE! WOW!

Men in Black 2 looks good too.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:29 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

no crap?
hmm
veruca....stating the obvious in a place where it doesn't need to be stated is frowned upon.

i just thought i'd let you know