Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-15-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default Carmelo and Sugar Ray get into fight at Club Babalu (NYC)

There is a rumor going around about Carmelo Anthony fighting in a nightclub.

Well, It sounds like there is probably a 95% chance that this really happened.

Joe Budden is telling this story on local radio (Hot 97) because he's wondering if the publicist is telling the real deal. He saw Carmelo last night at Club Babalu. It was Swizz Beatz birthday party, Joe said it was definitely poppin - he kept saying that - with nuff celebrities doing the mingle and move thing. He mentioned that Carmelo Anthony and MTV VJ Lala were there together. If you didn't know they are a couple - then now you know. So there Carmelo and Lala are, all up in the VIP section having a good time, when Sugar Ray spots them from across the room.

FYI....were not talkin bout Mark McGrath's band either..... This suga' is an up and comer in the underground scene

Sugar Ray is Lala's ex-fiance. The fact that he's now her ex is no surprise. I remember one day last year, she was hosting an MTV show and the guest mentioned her ring and her new engagement - she didn't look like she was overjoyed about the situation. .

Sugar Ray and Lala had some words, it was supposed to be a friendly situation. Somewhere along the line things turned foul and Sugar Ray spit in Lala's face. Carmelo Anthony, who was at the club without bodyguards, got hood with it and started swinging. So these two are fighting, but Sugar Ray was with his Harlem buddies. They jumped in. Now it's just an all out brawl: tables are being kicked over, chairs being thrown. Joe Budden said the fight went from inside the club.. to the outside.

He didn't say if Carmelo Anthony took a beating or if he delivered one. He was still on some allegedly happened ish about Sugar Ray spitting on Lala. The situation was validated when Carmelo and Lala called in to give their side of the story. I was in transit at the time, so I didn't hear what they had to say. I did hear Sugar Ray when he called. He said that his mother brought him up better than to be spitting in a chick's face.. but he did it. The situation got out of hand, he said. Then he apologized.. "If I did anything wrong." .

Carmelo definitely earned a respect stripe for this one. Here he is taking on a posse for self. No bodyguards, except for the club bouncers who had to be trying to break it up, but Carmelo didn't let his chick stand there with spit dripping from her eye.. he stepped up and risked millions by virtue of being a famous.. and did what he had to do. Joe Budden tried to get a conversation started asking people what they would do if they were in Carmelo's place. As long as you are with that girl, whether it's serious or not, there is no way you can just stand there looking stupid. Imagine that story. .

FYI....Carmelo will be on HOT97 tomorrow morning for that interview.......any of you in the NYC area, check it out.

As for those outside....I'll give a recap as time permits.....
Old 09-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Carmelo gets into another fight ......

I'd appreciate the recaps. I have a friend out there in NY and he's telling me Carmelo hit him in the face for spitting on Lala. After he hit him in the face he supposendly ran into a cab.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I'd appreciate the recaps. I have a friend out there in NY and he's telling me Carmelo hit him in the face for spitting on Lala. After he hit him in the face he supposendly ran into a cab.

sure. You know the guy. [img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
shelleylovinmavs

shelleylovinmavs is on a distinguished road

I think it was a reference to the other guy. Not the guy saying it was him.
shelleylovinmavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Carmelo gets a(nother) stupid stripe for being at a low-class hoochie fiesta like that in the first place.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:16 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Carmelo gets a(nother) stupid stripe for being at a low-class hoochie fiesta like that in the first place.
Carmelo's sounding more and more like a thug.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

sure. You know the guy. [img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]

Yea actually I do know him. I've known him for 15 years now.
[img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]

1996-2005
Old 09-15-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

It sounds like Melo was doing the right thing.. I don't think a single one of us here would let some punk spit in his date's face.. sometimes you just have to be a man about it. If he got in a brawl with a bunch of thugs because he was defending his date from humiliation, kudos to him. I know that I wouldn't have had the guts to fight a bunch of black guys in a nightclub.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:57 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: poohrichardson
It sounds like Melo was doing the right thing.. I don't think a single one of us here would let some punk spit in his date's face.. sometimes you just have to be a man about it. If he got in a brawl with a bunch of thugs because he was defending his date from humiliation, kudos to him. I know that I wouldn't have had the guts to fight a bunch of black guys in a nightclub.
From what I hear it was just one guy. The guy Carmelo punched called up some other people and that is when Carmelo ran into a cab.

1996-2005
Old 09-16-2004, 11:57 AM   #10
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I some guy spit in my girl's face I'd be all over him quicker than you can snap your fingers. I have no problem with Carmelo doing the same and standing up for his date.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #11
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

I think that Caremelo still has a lot of growing up to do, I think he will mature in a few years and become a superstar. Right now, he needs to stop causing contraversy before he is labeled as a trouble-maker. I understand this this wasnt too bad becasue he was defending a woman... but he still needs to be careful.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:06 PM   #12
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I dont know you, but I am assuming that u arent as big/strong as melo. Im going out on a limb and say that he has a better chance of beating them then you would [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #13
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Sorry guys for being late on the recap.........but I'd guess I dont have to give one now......CNNSI did it for me...

As for Melo.........he did the right thing. Let some punk spit in my girl's face......you guys know the damns result.

link.....

Anthony, girlfriend in squabble at New York bar
Posted: Thursday September 16, 2004 9:16PM; Updated: Thursday September 16, 2004 11:42PM

DENVER (AP) -- Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony was at a New York bar this week where a dispute broke out involving his girlfriend, his agent said.

Anthony's girlfriend, MTV host La La Vasquez, was spit on by her ex-fiance during a private party Monday for rapper Swizz Beatz.

"It's not a big deal," Calvin Andrews, Anthony's agent, told The Denver Post. "It was a misunderstanding between two people."

Michael Morales, general manager of Club Babalu, said no one was injured and there were no damages in the squabble involving Anthony, Vasquez and a man named Sugar Ray, who once proposed to Vasquez on MTV as she hosted a New Year's Eve show.

Sugar Ray approached Anthony and Vasquez, the agent said. "I can acknowledge that the guy spit [a drink] in [Anthony's] girlfriend's face," Andrews said.

Morales agreed and said Anthony left with his entourage a short time later.

On Tuesday, Anthony phoned New York radio station WQHT-FM to give his account, Andrews said. Vasquez also hosts a show on the station.

"He said he reacted like any other man would react," Andrews said. "Then the other guy [Sugar Ray] called in, and he did admit spitting in her face, and he apologized for it."

Nuggets officials declined comment.

Old 09-18-2004, 02:56 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

"It was a misunderstanding between two people."

That wasn't a misunderstanding. He spit in her face and Carmelo got a good lick in his face. BTW, I don't think Carmelo was in the wrong here. He did probably what any other man would do but Carmelo is really having a offseason. He is really starting to remind me of how AI use to be before he settled down.

1996-2005
Old 09-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #15
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

This guy comes with more drama than kobe...
Old 09-18-2004, 06:21 PM   #16
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
Quote:
I dont know you, but I am assuming that u arent as big/strong as melo. Im going out on a limb and say that he has a better chance of beating them then you would [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
If I end up getting the shit beat out of me, no big deal.. at least I can get a couple of good licks in and I won't feel like I just sat there and let that happen without taking a stand.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:54 AM   #17
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so I understand his side of things here, but does anyone see a pattern developing? I see a trade to the Jailblazers soon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]