Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-17-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Mavericks guards need to get the point

New Mavericks guards need to get the point
Nelson working hard to get point guards up to speed on his system

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Don Nelson knows he was blessed the last few years. This training camp is reminding him just how good he had it.

Trying to break in three new point guards has left Nelson and the Mavericks scrambling. The good news is that the second preseason game, 5 p.m. Sunday at Orlando, can't be much worse than the opener last week and could be massively better.

The hope from Nelson is that his new point guards start getting a better handle on the intricate offense that he never had to worry about the last five seasons when Steve Nash was running it.

"It's the hardest coaching job you can have is when you don't have the point guard you had the year before," Nelson said. "It's frustrating. At 64, I deserve better. I wish it was a year from now, when these guys would be playing for a year for me. It'll be a lot easier."

For now, Nelson doesn't have that luxury. What he does have is rookie Devin Harris, who has begun to show everybody in camp why he was the No. 5 overall pick in the draft. Harris has had three consecutive solid days in practices after getting his feet wet in the first exhibition game.

Avery Johnson has been working with Harris, starter Jason Terry and third-teamer Dan Dickau on learning the offense, not to mention an upgraded defense. "We're throwing a lot at them," Johnson said, "but they catch on quick."

Injury update:

Josh Howard and Erick Dampier sat out much of Saturday's lengthy practice, which had about 400 spectators as part of a promotion. Both players have slightly pulled hamstrings.

Howard said he hopes to play today, but could make no promises. Dampier probably will play.

Said Nelson: "These nagging injuries bother me. Part of being a good player is longevity. Can a guy function 30 minutes every game at a high level? That's the biggest thing standing in Josh's way."

Marquis Daniels, meanwhile, is not close to returning to action from his third-degree ankle sprain, although he accompanied the team to Orlando, his hometown. He said the second opinion he got on his ankle reinforced the diagnosis of Mavericks physician Dr. T.O. Souryal.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:24 AM   #2
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:New Mavericks guards need to get the point

"At 64, I deserve better."

Maybe he said it in a joking way but the way it reads, it doesn't come off as anything else but whiny. Work with what your daddy gave you, Nellie!

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:27 AM   #3
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: New Mavericks guards need to get the point

It was a wry sarcastic comment, not whiny at all.

And the other part ("I wish it was a year from now, when these guys would be playing for a year for me. It'll be a lot easier") had an underlying tone of confidence that didnt come through in the quote - ie, a year from now, he KNOWS these guys will be a lot better, cause of his coaching ability.

Heck, look at the progress Nash made, from semi-bust to All-Star, under Nellie. The future is really bright here.,
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Howard & Damp did not sit out "much" of practice yesterday. Damp only missed shooting drills.

Very bad news for Daniels. A third degree ankle sprain is a bad one. Those are the sprains that are usually accompanied by a popping sound, dark bruising, severe swelling that disfigures the ankle, and often require surgery. Third degree is the most severe sprain.

I may be mistaken but I think the injury that ruined Jim Jackson's career was a third degree sprain... Let's hope we're not dealing with anything similar.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason, I thouht Jim Jackson shattered (broke) his ankle.

And V, that was what I was talking about yesterday. Out of the entire practice session, all Sefko could write was Josh Howard and Erick Dampier "sat out." Good grief, would it be too hard to put in some observations of what he sees?

Like I said, yours is a lot better. I wish the writers would get that the "unconventional and specific" is more enlightening than general.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

At lead guard, Mavs are behind

By Dwain Price
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - The Mavs had the likes of Steve Nash, Nick Van Exel, Avery Johnson and Travis Best at point guard the past two seasons.

They enter this season without a true point guard who was with the team last season, and that has made for some uncomfortable situations.

"The hardest coaching job you can have is that you don't have a point guard that you had the year before," coach Don Nelson said. "We have three new ones, and it's all new to them and frustrating.

"At 64, I deserve better."

For most teams, the point guard is the brains of the offense -- an extension of the coach. With Jason Terry, rookie Devin Harris and Dan Dickau, the offense isn't running as smoothly as Nelson would like. The Mavs committed 23 turnovers during Wednesday's preseason loss to New Orleans.

Terry has been penciled in as the starter, and he has leaned heavily on Johnson's coaching.

"It's tough not having anybody to learn the system from," Terry said. "But Avery Johnson is doing a great job of working with me during practice and during games and after practice.

"He's taken me aside and taken me under his wing, and that's what it takes. It's a team effort. They know it's a difficult system to pick up and learn."

Marquis Daniels, who played some at point guard late last season as a rookie, is sidelined by a sprained left ankle. He has missed all of training camp and isn't sure when he will be able to play.

Johnson, who signed a contract last month to be a player/assistant coach, will officially be on the Mavs' 15-man roster this season. However, he knows he'll likely spend the season on injured reserve.

Johnson's primary job is to prepare the point guards, and he has empathy for Terry and Harris.

"It's a big difference, because you've got to go through a lot of growing pains," Johnson said. "You've got J.T. trying to play on the ball a little bit more, and the rookie trying to give a coach a heart attack.

"We like our guys, and we're confident with our guys. They've just got to get a feel for what coach wants."

Harris, the fifth pick of the draft, is receiving kudos for his play of late.

"I think our rookie has really taken a step up," Nelson said. "He's been really good the last three or four practices.

"He still doesn't have enough knowledge, but he's been more aggressive and more assertive. Besides that, he's a good defender."

Harris said he's learning more and more as the days go by.

"I'm getting a good grasp of everything," he said. "It's taken me a little while, but I'm picking up things real well."

Briefly

• Center Erick Dampier and swingman Josh Howard have slightly pulled right hamstrings, but both plan to play today in Orlando.

• Today's game starts a stretch in which the Mavs play five games in eight days. "I actually like it that way," coach Don Nelson said. "Maybe when we're done we'll have some idea of if I'm right about my rotation and if it's all working out."

MAVERICKS CAMP REPORT

The Mavericks practiced on the main American Airlines Center court Saturday, treating a few hundred fans to a rare inside look at the way the team conducts its practices.

It went off in such a businesslike manner -- and the fans were so quiet -- that at times coach Don Nelson was oblivious to the crowd.

"Actually, I forgot the people were there," Nelson said. "I usually swear a word. I tried to get [the players'] attention, and I got the attention of the crowd."

About 700 people attended a tent sale outside AAC and then went inside and watched the Mavs practice. After the session, fans received an added bonus when Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley and Shawn Bradley went into the stands to sign autographs.

New wrinkle

Don Nelson thinks so highly of second-year swingman Josh Howard that he plans to start him opening day against the Sacramento Kings if Marquis Daniels -- who's struggling with an ankle injury -- isn't ready.

But Howard has a slightly pulled right hamstring that has prevented him from participating in every practice. The loss of practice time concerns Nelson.

"He's taking a nice step in his second year here, but still that bothers me that he has to sit out practices," Nelson said. "I don't even know if I can play him in a game.

"You have to count on your guys being there every game. It's frustrating."

Howard said his hamstring feels tight, but that he'll probably play in today's preseason game in Orlando.

Quote of the day

"If he would have gone to Iowa he would have been more [NBA] ready. He went to Wisconsin because he couldn't get into Iowa."

-- Coach Don Nelson, who played at Iowa, joking about rookie point guard Devin Harris, who was drafted out of Wisconsin
Old 10-17-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I really hope Howard can get past this hamstring trouble. If he can, he will be a much better player.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Josh is one of those guys. He has tremendous talent but I'm really unsure of whether he will ever be ready to play long stretches. When he was young he had his legs broken and I'm wondering if they ever healed up in a way that would allow him to be depended upon.

Most players need to be depended upon night after night, and because they play every night, they find a rhythm. Josh has a perfect personality and the smarts to find his place, find his rhythm quickly and contribute, but I can't imagine where he would be if he played 5 or 10 games in a row with this team. He could elevate his game and that could be scary to the league. I just don't see it happening because of his constant and persistent problems with the muscles in his legs.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:06 PM   #9
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

This is going to be a looooooooooooong season for us Maverick fans..........
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:32 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Captain Disaster
This is going to be a looooooooooooong season for us Maverick fans..........
especially with the antagonism and uneducated pessimism of Captain.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:50 PM   #11
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

And the unrealistic over-optimism of EL.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:52 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Captain Disaster
And the unrealistic over-optimism of EL.
I'd rather work on knowing more about the Mavs while keeping my heart with the Mavs than to knee-jerk and say things like "it's the Mavs that suck." after two pre-season games

I also find it interesting that you only show up in hard times to rub it in that the Mavs lost.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:58 PM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Patience people. patience. I'm losing faith in Big Bill, but I still have my faith in Nellie.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote