Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-20-2004, 12:51 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Notebook: Mbenga, Jason Sasser

Notebook: Rookie center Mbenga on the rise
Nowitzki will miss two games to attend grandmother's funeral

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The plan to sit rookie center D.J. Mbenga on the bench this season has hit a snag – the newcomer is blossoming too fast.

Coach Don Nelson said Tuesday he is reassessing his thoughts on how to handle the 7-footer from the Congo.

"I didn't think I'd play him this year very much, but he's changing my mind," Nelson said. "With his athleticism and shot-blocking, he's got a chance. He doesn't speak real good English, but he learns fast."

Mbenga (prounounced BENG-a) had two points, four rebounds, two blocks and two assists in Tuesday's exhibition. His only basketball experience was three seasons in the Belgian League, and he was expected to spend this season on the injured list while learning the game and the language.

Nowitzki takes leave:

Dirk Nowitzki will be in Germany until Friday to be with his family after his maternal grandmother died at age 82 after a lengthy illness.

Nowitzki will miss two preseason games before rejoining the team for Saturday's game at Milwaukee.

"It's probably good for us and for him," coach Don Nelson said. "He's put in too many hours on the court, and it gives me a chance to look at the other two power forwards. One of them is going to have to back him up."

New face on the way:

The Mavericks will have a new face in camp today, former Texas Tech standout Jason Sasser.

A rash of injuries has forced the Mavericks to bring in another player for practice purposes.

"He's worked out with us before and he knows what our program is all about," said Donnie Nelson, president of basketball operations.

Briefly:

Don Nelson was proud of a one-liner he had Tuesday. Regarding Shawn Bradley's mild concussion, he said: "When Shawn hit the deck, it was like wood hitting wood." Responded Bradley: "Nellie should know." Nelson wasn't finished. "Thank goodness he can take a joke," Nelson said, "because I've seen him take harder falls running sprints." ... The final two preseason games, Tuesday against San Antonio and Oct. 28 against Sacramento, will be televised on HDNet, the Mavericks announced Tuesday. Both games start at 7:30 p.m.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 AM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Notebook: Mbenga, Jason Sasser

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
[b]Don Nelson was proud of a one-liner he had Tuesday. Regarding Shawn Bradley's mild concussion, he said: "When Shawn hit the deck, it was like wood hitting wood." Responded Bradley: "Nellie should know." Nelson wasn't finished. "Thank goodness he can take a joke," Nelson said, "because I've seen him take harder falls running sprints." ... The final two preseason games, Tuesday against San Antonio and Oct. 28 against Sacramento, will be televised on HDNet, the Mavericks announced Tuesday. Both games start at 7:30 p.m.
Eh, that was a pretty good one, and actually made me laugh outloud.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 AM   #3
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Sasser is a good addition for training camp...
He played on a high level during the last two years with Bamberg in the German Bundesliga.
Eurobasket.com
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Notebook: Mbenga, Jason Sasser

Quote:
"He doesn't speak real good English, but he learns fast."
hello kettle, this is pot...man you are black.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavericks will have a new face in camp today, former Texas Tech standout Jason Sasser.
My guess is that at least one of the two latest signees (Hood and Sasser) doesnt make it past November 2nd. Signing Sasser is a good sign that Nellie isnt too happy with Hood and Sasser is a desperation signing while our roster is short.

Quote:
The plan to sit rookie center D.J. Mbenga on the bench this season has hit a snag – the newcomer is blossoming too fast.
thats an incredible thing to hear- probably the best thing one could hear while we are shallow with injuries and Dampier hasn't yet come into form. Here's another good thing to hear. 9pts, 7reb, 3blocks, 2assists (which is Booth's line from last night)
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:06 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
"He doesn't speak real good English, but he learns fast."
hello kettle, this is pot...man you are black.
I believe that was a joke.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:11 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
doubtful

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

I dont think it was a joke by Nellie either......he is not the most "book-smart" person I have heard

what sike said though was pretty funny [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Quote:
doubtful
It seems like Nellie's sense of humor exactly.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:26 PM   #10
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Quote:
doubtful
It seems like Nellie's sense of humor exactly.
I have trouble telling when Nellie's joking. Remember that line last year about the thermos? "How do it know if your drink is hot or cold?"
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:32 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The more and more Nellie takes cheap shots at Bradley, the more and more he looks like a sorry indivicual
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #12
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

Nelson= Inferiority complex.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:45 PM   #13
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

GHP Bamberg and me, too, will really miss Jason here in Germany. He played excellent last year. Luckily Bamberg got some young guys to fill the gap...
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 05:11 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree....crappy comments by nellie. No one wants to be called an idiot by their coach. Crappy... Best thing for shawn would be a trade to get him away from nellie.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote