Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-26-2004, 05:10 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default My vote for sleeper game of the year

goes to....

Katamari Damacy (or Damashi depending on translation).

You play as the son of the king of the universe. The king has knocked all the stars out of the sky and has broken them. Your job is to pick up a super-ball-sized gravity ball and roll it around, picking up things until the ball is enormous and the king can compact it and throw it up into the sky to replace the missing stars. This game is as unique and as bizarre as it gets. Half the fun of the game is its quirkiness, the other half ot the fun comes from rolling a ball around and having it pick up tacks, mice, dogs, humans, and eventually islands and skyscrapers.

For 20 dollars it certainly is worth a try.

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road
Default RE: My vote for sleeper game of the year

20 bucks? Just donate it to charity rather than throw it in the trash on this crap.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:08 AM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:My vote for sleeper game of the year

Quote:
Originally posted by: Phil Helmuth
20 bucks? Just donate it to charity rather than throw it in the trash on this crap.
Sad that a 39 year old guy who plays games for a living wouldn't appreciate the finer technological games.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:35 AM   #4
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

Do you have an infinte amount of money? If not why not put the money towards a " finer technological game" such as GTA: San Andreas. That is a " finer technological game."
Old 10-27-2004, 12:49 AM   #5
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Looks like an interesting game... definitely has a unique plot!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:34 AM   #6
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

That Damaschi game looks pretty good, and the fan reviews look pretty positive. I myself, have been completely addicted to Rome: Total War for the last two weeks. The darned thing is as addictive a game as I have ever seen, and the battle engine is unprecedentedly superb (it's only been out three weeks, and it has already won the IGN best game of 04 award, and gamespy Best strategy game award)...

Old 10-27-2004, 02:27 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Interesting factoid: Rome's video engine was used on the History Channel's hit show Decisive battles. The show was able to recreate battles of more than 50,000 men without a multi-million dollar budget.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:15 AM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

As I watch the history channel all the time, I've seen all of the episodes of the Summer series, Decisive Battles, and that's just one more reason I've spent the last half-year anticipating the release of this darned game. I'm also a huge Roman history buff, so after playing the thing I would say that this is certainly the most enjoyable game that I have played since Civ III and Warcraft III came out, and for my own taste, I actually find RTW to be a superior game to both of those recent classics, but it's just unfortunate that the programmers didn't smooth out a couple of minor bugs before releasing it...
Old 10-27-2004, 07:44 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Damaschi game looks....well, I'll defer to Phil Helmuth on that one.

The Rome game looks pretty damn good though.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:49 PM   #10
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Phil Helmuth
It's a video game. Don't be such a douche.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:41 PM   #11
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Speaking of sleeper games, The Romance of the Three Kingdoms series is very addicting. Your mission is to unite ancient China under one flag. I'm playing VIII now and I hope to get IX soon.