Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-25-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Delgado signs with the Marlins

This has to be considered a pretty big disappointment for Rangers fans, doesn't it?

Delgado agrees to sign $52 million deal with Marlins
By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
January 25, 2005
link

MIAMI (AP) -- Free-agent first baseman Carlos Delgado agreed Tuesday to a $52 million, four-year contract with the Florida Marlins, who added the left-handed power they've lacked.

The agreement, which contains an option year that makes it potentially worth $64 million over five seasons, is contingent on Delgado passing a physical Wednesday, the Marlins said. A news conference tentatively is set for Thursday.

Delgado makes Florida perhaps the team to beat in the NL East.

``It's a spectacular day for the franchise,'' owner Jeffrey Loria said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. ``I'm going to spring training tomorrow. I'm not waiting.''

The Marlins won the World Series in 1997 and 2003 but are still seeking their first division title and trying to win support for a new ballpark.

``We're about trying to be a very competitive ballclub, and the stadium will take of itself in due time,'' Loria said. ``But Carlos certainly is not going to hurt that effort.''

Delgado's deal calls for him to get just $4 million this year, a baseball official told the AP on condition of anonymity.

Delgado receives $13.5 million in 2006, $14.5 million in 2007 and $16 million in 2008, and the agreement includes a $16 million option for 2009 that would become guaranteed based on how Delgado does in MVP voting and whether he earns postseason MVP awards.

If the option doesn't become guaranteed, Florida would have the right to exercise a $12 million option. If the option is declined, Delgado would get a $4 million buyout.

Delgado chose the Marlins over offers from the New York Mets, Texas and Baltimore.

The Marlins made an initial offer of $35 million for three years, the richest per-season deal in franchise history, then went even higher to win the bidding. The contract will push their payroll above $56 million for the first time.

They landed the most formidable left-handed power hitter in their 12-year history. Delgado, 32, hit at least 30 homers each of the past eight seasons in Toronto. Last season he batted .269 last season for Toronto with 32 homers and 99 RBIs.

The Marlins were 11th in the NL in runs and 12th in homers last year. Their top left-handed hitter, Juan Pierre, totaled three home runs.

Even so, Florida was in the race for a wild-card berth until mid-September, finishing 83-79, 13 games behind division winner Atlanta.

The deal with Delgado was sealed 10 days after he flew from his native Puerto Rico to Miami and spent 5 1/2 hours with Marlins officials, including Loria.

Delgado's agent, David Sloane, said negotiations with the Rangers fell apart because they wanted him primarily as a designated hitter.

Under the deal, the option year would become guaranteed if Delgado accumulates 30 points in the next four years. He would get 10 points for winning the NL MVP award and nine for finishing second and so on under a formula that gives him one point for finishing 10th. He would get 20 points if he's the World Series MVP and 10 if he's the league championship series MVP.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Delgado signs with the Marlins

If it were only about the money, then yes, it would be a major disappointment. But if it's a fit thing, because Delgado didn't want to merely DH, then perhaps it's best after all.

The Dallas News reported today that the Rangers are showing an interest in Ordonez. I think the article said that of all active players with at least 50 at-bats at The Ballpark, he has the highest batting average. For what that's worth...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Not to mention that Ordonez is a better player than Delgado. The Marlin contract was about money. He has the capability of making 64 million with it. The Rangers didn't go much more than 48 million and never were going to agree to that 5th year option. This guy is good but Barry Bonds he ain't. No one at that age except Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds and A-Rod will be worth that kind of money. Delgado is already struggling with knee problems. Think that problem will go away?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I really thought he'd be a great fit here, but I feel a lot better about how the Rangers handled things after reading the latest Newberg Report. I wouldn't want to go past 4/$48m either. The whole thing did make me like Teixiera a lot more for offering to move to OF.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
I really thought he'd be a great fit here, but I feel a lot better about how the Rangers handled things after reading the latest Newberg Report. I wouldn't want to go past 4/$48m either. The whole thing did make me like Teixiera a lot more for offering to move to OF.
I would have let the guy play in the field, but at least I can see where they're coming from. Thanks for the link, ames.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The Rangers weren't going to the playoffs with Delgado.The Rangers just need to stay the course.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote