Old 01-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default Celtics McCarty close to being traded to the Suns

McCarty-to-Suns on horizon
By Steve Bulpett/ Celtics Notebook
Wednesday, January 26, 2005

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Celtics were very close last night to a trade involving Walter McCarty [news], according to multiple sources.

The Celts were said to be awaiting a final word from Phoenix, which will return a second-round pick to Boston if the transaction is completed.

Director of basketball operations Danny Ainge had no comment on the matter, but McCarty confirmed he had heard from the club that the deal had gone well beyond the preliminary stage.

It's a move Waltah would welcome after more than seven years in Green. With younger players filtering into the Celtics rotation, McCarty has been getting squeezed for playing time - a difficult situation for a player who turns 31 next week. He'd played just 18 minutes in the three games heading into last night's meeting with the Bobcats and then didn't make it off the bench.

``I'm very excited if it does happen,'' McCarty said before last night's 97-92 Celtics win over Charlotte. ``The Suns are a team that's playing really well right now, and it would be a chance to win. I'm very excited. I think it's close and I just hope it follows through. I don't want to get too anxious and be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

``I've been here for a long time and there's been nothing but good things for me. But I do think it's time to maybe get a change of scenery. I've been very happy with the Celtics organization from the top to the bottom and I've really enjoyed working with the people in the Boston community. Those people will be friends for life.''

By moving McCarty, the Celtics would get out of the $1.5 million player option for next season (though there is reason to question whether he'd exercise it) and get a little roster flexibility. There is also said to be a feeling in management that McCarty deserves a better opportunity, and he would no doubt be a good fit in the Suns' running system.

While Gary Payton is starting and playing well, Ainge may be facing a similar situation with his veteran point guard. Payton has been an exemplary soldier but would like to be moved west to be closer to his family. His mother has been diagnosed with cancer and will start chemotherapy soon. Payton would also like a better opportunity to chase a championship.

Sources say Ainge is looking to see what Payton can bring from other clubs but won't give him away. It's possible that a first-round pick would be enough to pry The Glove loose.

The issue for the Celts would then be leaving the position in the hands of explosive but inconsistent Marcus Banks [news] and rookie Delonte West. Ainge and Rivers are encouraged by the pair, and giving them more minutes would have to help their development. But it could do damage to the short-term goals of a team that can still make the postseason and reap some valuable lessons found only in that environment.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Celtics McCarty close to being traded to the Suns

I'd trade Cal Booth for Payton and a second round pick.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Celtics McCarty close to being traded to the Suns

LOL teams are helping the Suns out now. It's going to give them a deeper bench which is what they lack but don't he and JJ play the same position?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently he's becoming a bit of a locker room cancer in Boston...he's certainly not helping them.

As far as Payton, I don't think we need him.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

McCarty has been a real underachiever this season. In my opinion, i'd rather play Voshkul than McCarty.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

What's with all the perimeter shooters in Phoenix?
Q, JJ * 2, McCarty, Nash takes a few. It seems crazy. Their defense is pretty good, so I guess they figure they will only need shooters off the bench. It's like Dallas of 2003-04, too many shooters, not enough balls.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

i thnk pheonix is fairly more efficient than the 03-04 mavs
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: cheesestar
i thnk pheonix is fairly more efficient than the 03-04 mavs
Yeah, Antoine Walker will do that to ya!

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote