Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-01-2005, 12:54 AM   #1
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Default Nellie Are you Listening? I'm Concerned!

Nellie are you listening? I'm concerned.

First off let me say that I'm a Mavs fan for one big reason, and that's you Don Nelson. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area a fan of the GS Warriors back in the Joe Barely Cares, Sleepy Floyd, Terry Teagle era. I experienced you take over a franchise with only one piece an aging Chris Mullin, and build what I believed was to be a dominant team well into the 90's. I literally crapped my pants when you, Nellie traded the 3rd pick overall for Chris Webber, and to this day I will tell the naysayers to their face that Webber's immaturity, and stupidity led to the self-destruction of the Warriors not you Nellie. Nellie you are a hard a$$ and you follow the unwritten code of rookies, they have to earn their way into this league. I respect that Nellie. So this is my second go around with you. I wasn't concerned with you as the leader when GS was falling apart, I felt you'd eventually pull everything back together, but it was painful.

Nellie did you purposely try to lose the game versus Phoenix? This is what I asked myself, because I was absolutely flabbergasted by your actions in the last 2 minutes of play. Before Saturday's game, I had never, never, never, never seen you make a mistake in the END-GAME. But to see Bradley and Daniels on the bench at a time when it was paramount to lock down Stoudamire and his cronies, Nellie you choked! Or did you? This is what I am grappling with and other Mavs fans are too. Big fella some are saying you're too enamored with KVH? Say what they will about KVH, but straight up KVH is a great trade, KVH for Cal Booth a guy who was doing so very little for this team, few minutes, and very inconsistent with his production during these minutes, and it looks like Hendu will be back by the Laker game. I also am questioning Nellie, what you're doing with Finley. Flat out they guy's efficiency on the floor in no way qualifies him for the number of minutes he's playing per game; 40 plus virtually each night. Nellie you dish out the minutes, you handle the end-game; Nellie are you listening, I'm concerned.

The last thing I'll say Nellie and this is why I wasn't concerned for you in GS but I am now. Up until about 2 weeks ago I thought that this team has a legitimate shot at winning a championship in a year, maybe 2. Nellie, are you listening, I don't believe it anymore. Nellie, this team has what it takes to win it all this year! Right now, so why are you keeping games so close by playing 2 for 3 games, when you could be locking teams down in the 3rd and 4th quarter, like you failed to do Saturday?

Nellie, I've loved you as the leader for a long time, but this isn't about friendship anymore, not with this team, ITS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIP, and deep in my heart I know without a sliver of a doubt that if you stepped aside and Cubes brought in....let's say P. Jackson. Jackson could get it done this year...maybe not catch SA in the regular season, but he'd have them crapping their pants before regular season ended like I did when you traded up for Cweb. Nellie, this is it, you've got all the pieces, and God willing they will be ready and healthy. Can you get the job done? Nellie, are you listening? I'm concerned!

Old 03-01-2005, 01:27 AM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Nellie Are you Listening? I'm Concerned!

This is knee jerk.

Quote:
[i]Nellie did you purposely try to lose the game versus Phoenix?
Come on. Do you think Nellie will try to lose games?

Quote:
This is what I asked myself, because I was absolutely flabbergasted by your actions in the last 2 minutes of play. Before Saturday's game, I had never, never, never, never seen you make a mistake in the END-GAME.
You haven't seen Nellie make a mistake in the end game? He's made lots.

Quote:
But to see Bradley and Daniels on the bench at a time when it was paramount to lock down Stoudamire and his cronies, Nellie you choked! Or did you? This is what I am grappling with and other Mavs fans are too. Big fella some are saying you're too enamored with KVH? Say what they will about KVH, but straight up KVH is a great trade, KVH for Cal Booth a guy who was doing so very little for this team, few minutes, and very inconsistent with his production during these minutes, and it looks like Hendu will be back by the Laker game. I also am questioning Nellie, what you're doing with Finley. Flat out they guy's efficiency on the floor in no way qualifies him for the number of minutes he's playing per game; 40 plus virtually each night. Nellie you dish out the minutes, you handle the end-game; Nellie are you listening, I'm concerned.

The last thing I'll say Nellie and this is why I wasn't concerned for you in GS but I am now. Up until about 2 weeks ago I thought that this team has a legitimate shot at winning a championship in a year, maybe 2. Nellie, are you listening, I don't believe it anymore. Nellie, this team has what it takes to win it all this year! Right now, so why are you keeping games so close by playing 2 for 3 games, when you could be locking teams down in the 3rd and 4th quarter, like you failed to do Saturday?
Wow! So much despair in your post. It was only one game and the Mavs won. I thought the Mavs would eat the Hornets alive but you have to give it to the Hornets. They are a scrappy bunch. They aren't as talented and they don't have a Dirk but they hustle and they work hard. They almost won the and their cancer named Baron Davis is gone. I have found respect for the Hornets tonight. Don't despair too much. The Mavs will be ok.

Nellie, I've loved you as the leader for a long time, but this isn't about friendship anymore, not with this team, ITS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIP, and deep in my heart I know without a sliver of a doubt that if you stepped aside and Cubes brought in....let's say P. Jackson. Jackson could get it done this year...maybe not catch SA in the regular season, but he'd have them crapping their pants before regular season ended like I did when you traded up for Cweb. Nellie, this is it, you've got all the pieces, and God willing they will be ready and healthy. Can you get the job done? Nellie, are you listening? I'm concerned![/quote]

Old 03-01-2005, 01:38 AM   #3
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Simon, this team IS good enough to win a championship this year, I wouldn't have believed this even a month ago. I'll take what you said to heart, and if it happens it happens, if it doesn't there's always next year.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:42 AM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of the few people I know who still believe that Nellie is a great coach, and the right man for this team. He might make some questionable decisions every now and then, but give the guy some f*cking credit. People bitch and piss and moan when he makes an in-game decision they don't agree with, but Nellie is the one who made this team what it is. Marc Cuban helped tremendously by opening his wallet and by drawing publicity, but let's face it, all the real basketball decisions were made either by Nellie or his son. Like him or not, you gotta face the facts, if he hadn't come here, 20 wins would still be a good season. Until last year, this team had improved every year since he had been coach. Just look at the guy's record as an NBA head coach. He's the second winningest coach of all time, behind Lenny Wilkens, and his winning percentage is much better than Lenny's. Nellie's credentials are SOLID!!!! When he throws out a questionable lineup or when the team takes a step backwards like last season, people call for him to be fired and for AJ to take over. Now, I love AJ as much as the next guy, but do you think Avery Johnson could've turned this team from one of the worst of all time into a championship contender like Nellie did? I certainly don't. As for the game on Sat, I agree that Quis should've been in game, but everyone seems to think that Bradley was doing a good job defensively that night. Maybe I was the only one that noticed, but the Suns were getting whatever they wanted, layups, dunks and god knows what else. Bradley was not getting the job done that night, so of course Nellie wouldn't have him in there to close the game. Besides, the only reason KVH played so much is because Damp is injured. We're gonna see some small ball until Damp comes back. Don't curse Nellie, he has no choice. The simple fact is, Don Nelson is the greatest coach in the history of this franchise, and is not the "mad scientist" or the liability many think he is. He's just an unconventional coach.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:53 AM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: birdsanctuary
Nellie are you listening? I'm concerned.

Nellie, I've loved you as the leader for a long time, but this isn't about friendship anymore, not with this team, ITS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIP, and deep in my heart I know without a sliver of a doubt that if you stepped aside and Cubes brought in....let's say P. Jackson. Jackson could get it done this year...maybe not catch SA in the regular season, but he'd have them crapping their pants before regular season ended like I did when you traded up for Cweb. Nellie, this is it, you've got all the pieces, and God willing they will be ready and healthy. Can you get the job done? Nellie, are you listening? I'm concerned!
<edited by a Dallas-Mavs.com moderator> PHIL JACKSON! If Phil Jackson took over, and the Mavs did win it all, it would be a disgrace. It'd be like when Barry Switzer took the Cowboys to the superbowl. But we all know that was Jimmy Johnson's team. If anyone should take over this team, it should be AJ. Phil Jackson can burn in hell.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:19 AM   #6
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Nellie Are you Listening? I'm Concerned!

I hate Phil Jackson and the day he coaches the Mavs is the day I stop watching them.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:40 AM   #7
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Every coach makes so called "questionable" decisions that don't pan out every now and then. I've always liked Nellie as a coach and respect what he has done for this team. I think it is just amazing what he has accomplished with this team. I remember when the Mavs had CBA quality players up and down the roster. Now the 12th man is a good player.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

I love Nellie. I loved when he picked Wang in the 2nd round. I loved the crazy way he matched up and the exciting brand of basketball, but if AJ was the coach, I would believe we would truly have a chance at a ring this year. As it is, it is his influence that has seemed to bring that confidence and should I dare to say high level of execution to this team. I hated the trade because we were on a roll and Nellie was playing traditional at the urging of AJ. I love the trade when I put my GM hat on and I hope with Henderson and a healthy Damp we can get back to where we were 2 weeks ago, but Nellie is not the guy anymore, but he deserves this last chance so I'll try to shut up and wait. As good as the Mavs are this year, they will be better next year and hopefully AJ will be running the show.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: birdsanctuary
Simon, this team IS good enough to win a championship this year, I wouldn't have believed this even a month ago. I'll take what you said to heart, and if it happens it happens, if it doesn't there's always next year.

I think you should just try to enjoy the Mavs rigth now. They are exciting and fun to watch. Imagine following a team like the Nets? Yuck! I guess if you find enjoyment in analyzing each detail of the Mavs, that's fine. I on the other hand has found a new appreciation for the team now that I can't watch them every game and that I can watch them from the listening point of view of the other teams commentators. If you can hear what other people say when they see the Mavs, its almost unfair. Mavs have a 7 footer who can shoot from anywhere. They have several high quality swingmen. They have a center that is envied around the league. They pgs aren't too shabby too. Gosh, having Fin, Stack, Daniels and Howard in the rotation is downright scary.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

Don't get me wrong, I love Nellie and always will.

Personally I don't like Jackson, I feel that unlike Nellie (Dirk excluded), he's always had dominant talent.

I also feel he was shafted on the Cweb incident in GS.

I guess I'm just not worthy to fully understand the intricacies of Nellie's mind.

The Mavs deserve a championship, and Nellie deserves a championship, and I firmly believe this team can get it done as early as this year.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Are you guys listening to the postgame remarks.

The Goodfellas were all over it this morning. Last night, Nellie wasn't just happy to get a win. He went from the quintessential Don Nelson underdog didn't play well but found a way to win mentality. Dirk's rhetoric has been shifting in the same direction, saying the Suns loss shouldn't have come down to just a missed call.

I also think people are downplaying AJ's role and blaming Nellie for things they shouldn't be. When AJ was asked about being the head coach he said he went from talking 605 of the time to 80%.

I think some of the remarks by Nelson lately were huge. You could hear him getting after Harris, but that wasn't it. There was something different in his voice. He sent a message that they can't make mental errors or slack off if they expect to beat San Antonio.

I think this team is as strong as any in the league when healthy, and better suited for a title run than any in recent memory. Honestly, what other team has a franchise player like Dirk AND is 10 deep. If the mavs are to win it all, I think it will be with this team and during the Nellie+AJ era.

...now I've gone and psyched myself up...keep your eyes on 35 Timmy, we're comin' for ya.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed PFuzz. The only concern is not whether Nellie is listening to fan complaints, it's whether the players are listening to Nellie.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

and that's why I think a title will come with AJ at Nellie's side.

Granted Nellie may at times overthink and shoot himself in the foot, but he's still one of the best in-game tacticians out there. The huge number of new players demanded a firmer voice in practice and on the bench, and that's where AJ comes in.

We have AJ getting after the players and Nellie drawing the plays...but now Nellie has put his foot down. You have to be optimistic about that.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #14
Simon2
Diamond Member

It will be interesting to see if Nellie puts his foot down again on Fin since he had another zero rebound game
Old 03-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #15
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

Unless the Mavericks are going to trade for Shaq, T-Mac, Lebron, Dwayne, and maybe Kevin Garnett...

... Phil Jackson isn't coming within 100 miles of this club.

Most overrated coach of all time. When you coach arguable the greatest player in the history of the game who would rather lay down and die rather than lose, you'd also find it hard NOT to win a couple championships.
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have to agree with you bird-sanct. I thought nellie was possibly at the worst I've ever seen him in the phoenix game. His substituions and execution down the stretch of that one was horrific. I put that lose squarely on his shoulders.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #17
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

Hmmm, I think I better understand what happened Saturday after reading your post PsychadelicFZ... Nellie purposely rested the outcome of the game on the Mav players.. rather than take over the game and win it with his coaching skills. In a sense Nellie let the game fall squarely on the final bunch to send a message that mental errors like Fin's quick three with 40 seconds or so remaining and KVH's similar play simply won't cut it. He is doing this to mentally srengthen the team. Two years ago Nellie showed that the Mavs can go into SA and take the home court advantage away.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:43 PM   #18
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: seal614
Most overrated coach of all time.
That depends on how you rate a coach.

Maybe Phil is just good because he knows how to manage those superstar egos. I don't think that's an easy task.

Anyway, a coach who wins 9 titles can't be overrated.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote