Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-29-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default are you a real Mavericks fan?

I have noticed a lot of people, especially recently, being fans of specific players rather than the franchise. I came here as a fan of a player, a Marquis homer and nothing more. I hated Finley. I could care less about Daniels, and I like Finley now...I really just want Dallas to win at any cost. over the course of this season, I have grown to love the Mavericks and everyone involved in the organization. this board, and most of the people here, has really helped me gain some mental footing I didn't have...feeling a part of a community is everything to me, especially because when I came here, I was basically disowned from my family and all my friends were gone. it was me, my girlfriend, and my daughter...I felt really alone, no one to share things with, suffering through a horrible depression. but now I got you guys. and I thank you all for it.

but back to the question...you could see a lot of dissent on here about Nash...mostly from people who I think are just Steve fans rather than fans of our team. Dirk is obviously a fantastic player, but what if he got replaced? what would you do? does an individual player like Dirk represent the entire franchise to you?

if this team traded Dirk, for garbage, and went back into 90s mode...would you still be a fan? we could start a backcourt of Milt Palacio and Tyronn Lue and I would still like this team as much as ever.

everyone should officially declare if they are a real fan or not, because when we start rolling (which we will), I don't want any haters signing on. I only want the real fans, the real Mavs Maniacs.
recently, I've come to support and love the Mavericks like I have Auburn my whole life. the blue and white runs through my veins, hopefully through yours too. I want us all to be here when we win it all, and I want us all to be here when we don't. there really isn't much point to this, but I'm extremely fired up for the rest of this year and the playoffs and its starting to get to me. I want the city of Dallas to be rocking and rolling when we win the title, but I want people to still do the same when we don't.

I'm ready for the playoffs, man. so ready. who wants it?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: are you a real Mavericks fan?

I've only been a fan since the first day the Mavericks were in existence. I've only attended the inaugural game and uncountable numbers ever since and couldn't even begin to count the number of televised games I watched. I don't know. I suppose I qualify as a fan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I yelled my butt off during those lonley lonely crappy years and have always loved them Mavs.

Hell yeah! Go Mavs!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Real fan. Ofcourse I'll root for JHo, Dirk, Mike, etc. if they ever play for a different team, but not when they play the Mavs.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really glad to hear that your personal life is looking up...congrats...and we love having ya here!

and yes....I lived through the wonderful 80's runs with this team and the Randy White and Doug Smith days....I am a Mavericks fan.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your question, I'll refer back to a comment I made two years ago when someone accused me of being "anti-Nellie."

Quote:
I am not "pro-Nellie," nor am I "anti-Nellie." I am a Mavericks fan. I am "pro-Mavericks." I want the Mavericks to win it all. Any comments I make on this message board about Don Nelson are a result or byproduct of my desire for the Mavericks to win a title, not my allegiance or lack thereof to their coach.
The same is true of any particular player. I do like a lot of the players and really enjoy watching them play, but I am a MAVERICKS fan. If those players leave the team, I could care less what happens to them.

Why do you think I'm leading the Revolution?

Yes, I am a Mavericks fan.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why do you think I'm leading the Revolution?
becaue you're a militant tyrant? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-29-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I cheered for Antoine Walker and Danny Fortson last year.

What does this tell you?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all
Default RE:are you a real Mavericks fan?

Well, I'm a Mavs fan since Dirk has arrived. If he had stayed in Millwaukee I would be their fan.
Before that time I was a Det Schrempf fan and it was great timing, when Dirk started Det left.
Now I have become a Mavs fan but if Dirk leaves the team, the Mavs are only second. I will root for them everytime they don't play against Dirk.
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

I supported Walker. Now I'm glad he's gone.
I supported Nellie, and now I'm even more optimistic about AJ.
I support the Mantis becasue in the right role, he can help.
I supported stack, even when people thought he would be a cancer.

I'm either a glutton for punishment or a real fan.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:50 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz

can't it be both?

Old 03-29-2005, 01:51 PM   #11
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

I'm basically in the same boat as Julius, I originally liked the Mavs because Dirk was on the team... been that way for a while, but recently I've found myself caring less what Dirk does as an individual, and have become increasingly interested in the other players and the team in general.

There's just something that's grown on me with the Mavs, I think it's been a combination of the players throughout the years, the exciting tempo they played with in recent seasons, the eccentric owner, players with quality character, and this awesome freaking board...

So no, I am unfortunately not a real mavs fan, but I think that even if Dirk leaves this team, I will find myself rooting for and following the Mavs first and foremost...
Old 03-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #12
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz

can't it be both?
or both

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:58 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I clearly have my favorites.... Dirk, Bradley, JET, JHO, and maybe KVH somewhere along the way. However, I have been a Mav fan through thick and thin..mostly through thin. Back in the 90's, my favorite players were Jim Jackson and Doug Smith. For some unknown reason, I stuck with the team. Well, it's not for an unknown reason... I'm a Mavs fan.

Honestly, if Dirk were to be traded, whoever he was traded to would instantly become my second favorite team. He would still be my favorite player. But, I'd still be Mavs fan. You'll never catch me rooting against the Mavs, Stars, Cowboys, or the Rangers....

Case and point..My favorite player was traded once upon a time. Dale Murphy..my favorite athlete of all time was traded from the Atlanta Braves (my favorite NL team)... I didn't abandon the Braves when he was moved to the Phillies. The Phillies just became my second favorite team in the NL behind the Braves.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #14
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a realy Mavs fan now, but I think The Big Three and their entertaining type of play had alot to do with gaining my attention. And of course, geography has alot to do with it. I've lived in the area for about twelve years, and I eventually started to following some of the local teams (Mavs, Rangers).

I was never much of a Rockets fan, so becoming a Mavs fan didn't impede on any other basketball alliance.

(Quite honestly, where I'm from...nothing really matters outside of Friday night football [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:18 PM   #15
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I had season tickets (first purchased during the glory of the late 1980s) through the Buckner, Adubato, & Clemens "eras". I finally gave them up because they were too expensive to waste, I couldn't go to 41 games, and the team was so bad that I couldn't give the tickets away.

I'll root for the Mavs as long as I live in Dallas (I've been here more than twenty years now). If I move to another city with an NBA team, then I'll reconsider whether I want to root for the home team.

More than anything, I'm a fan of the basketball and the NBA. But as long as I'm here, then Dallas is my team. Even if Milt Palacio and Tyrone Lue are the starting backcourt.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #16
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Ted Davis on WBAP. 13-69. Listened to every game.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:48 PM   #17
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the players made me a fan of the Mavericks, they were the face of the franchise. However, I now consider myself a Maverick fan. I support the team, even if they're a bunch of scrubs. Of course I would be less interested in basketball overall of the team sucked, but I wouldn't root for any other basketball team.

As long as they're the only teams in the NBA with uniforms designed by P-Diddy, I can't see myself rooting for another franchise.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #18
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
I hate to say it, but what a great memory. I was there for every game myself. WBAP was my pipeline to the Mavericks in the late 80's and early 90's.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #19
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Back when I was a foster parent we won a drawing and got to choose from a football signed by Jerry and Jimmy just before the breakup and a Mavs penant signed by the team. Unless it has been stolen I have the signatures of Lucious Harris, Popeye Jones, the three J's and a few others I can't remember in an old box somewhere on a penant with that dumb old hat on it.

I remember wearing my Mav's warmup Jersey the day after we drafted Wang and being laughed at in the Elevator. I loved them when they were down before and I'll love them when they suck again.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:56 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
I hate to say it, but what a great memory. I was there for every game myself. WBAP was my pipeline to the Mavericks in the late 80's and early 90's.
I've gotta say that I wasn't a Mavs fan back in the early 80's....Didn't become one until the mid 80's... I really didn't become a big time basketball fan until the age of 8. My basketball consciousness lagged behind baseball and football... I was memorizing baseball cards by the age of 5.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:04 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

That's true for me, too. I was 6 years old when the Mavs played their first game, so I probably had something like G.I. Joe on the brain at that point.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #22
funkadelik

funkadelik is on a distinguished road

I became a fan the day Cubes came along to be honest

I was happy that someone was willing to spend some money around here
Old 03-29-2005, 03:18 PM   #23
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Let's put it this way... I was a 10 year old ready to cheer on Kiki Vandeweghe until he got traded.

Dirk leaves, he becomes the enemy.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:25 PM   #24
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

"It's our goal to be able to force our will on people." - Dirk Nowitzki, 3-20-05
That is a great quote. Reminds me of something out of the bible.

I am a fan of the Mavs. I would hate to see Dirk leave the team but if he did I would still root for the Mavs. Nash left us and I am still a Mavs fan and Nash was my all time favorite untill he denouced his loyalty to Dallas. I only wish that Nash had a little more Reggie Miller in him.

Mavs to force their will for the next 4 rounds!!

"It's our goal to be able to force our will on people." - Dirk 3:20
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #25
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

Well, I became a Mavs fan when Dirk arrived - I didn't really know much about the NBA at that point

I'm a HUGE Dirk find, too.... but if he got traded and played against the mavs... no way i'd root for him

Since I live in Germany i can't get to see the games, so i stand up at 3 o'clock in the night just to follow the games on yahoo's gamechannel (and look like a zombie the next day)
MFFL
Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

For the last few years I've been a Mavs fan. That is why I am sometimes fickle with individual players- its the success of the team that really counts.

Nowitzi and Nash were my favorites, and even Nash leaving didnt do a thing to my support of this team, and if anything it made me dislike the Suns.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #27
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I've been a die-hard Mavs fan since the '91 season and I'm sure I'll stay that way regardless of whether Dirk's with the team or not. I root for every Mavs player and typically root against every non-Mav player. I yelled at Nellie this year for what I thought were ridiculous moves but I always wanted him to win a ring or two with the Mavs before he retired. Likewise, I may yell at some players (Fin, Quis, SS, etc.) only 'cuz I want 'em to play well and help the team win.

Btw, Nash was my favorite player last year. This year, I so badly root against him.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:17 PM   #28
Azn_Baller101

Azn_Baller101 is on a distinguished road

die hard mavs fan ever since the emergence of the big three... missin the good ole days
Azn_Baller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #29
NoHeartIncluded

NoHeartIncluded is on a distinguished road

I've been a Mavs fan since the 92-93 season (why then I have no clue), but being that I'm 21 now it's is simply amazing to me and my friends where this team is now. I used to get mocked at school everyday for supporting the Mavs. Here I was rooting for Donald Hodge and Lorenzo Williams, Scott Brooks and Tony Dumas, hoping that one day the MOMENT would come. I don't want this to sound cheesy but my life revolves around the Mavs. When they win, I'm in a good mood, but when they lose I get depressed and moody, just ask my parents! But fellas, when that DAY comes it will be like no other experience in my life.
GO Mavs, win this one for Nellie!

-Jimmy Valvano
NoHeartIncluded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #30
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

NoHeart, my stories the same as yours. Mavs fan since about 12 years old(Now 25) and caught a lot of shit along the way. But honestly, they were almost just as much fun to watch back the as now. Everynight I thought I'd witness the upset that would make my season. And actually I'd never jump teams if someone got traded, because I can hardly stomach watching other teams play.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #31
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Mavs fan, through and through. But like some others, if Dirk went to another team, they would instantly become second favorite, because he's become my favorite player of all time.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:53 PM   #32
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I've been a dedicated mavs fan since 1988. I know that doesn't put me at the beginning, but it was the first time I even watchd basketball, and it puts me in through some lean years. I don't think I could name every mav player since 88, but I could name a lot of them.

If Dirk was traded for junk, I would lose quite a bit of interest in the mavs because it would mean that they were a crappy organization that made bad decisions. I've always been a mavs fan, but like them better now that we have a good owner and a well run organization that doesn't make stupid decisions. Cuban wants to win.

I like us even better now that we have a defensive-minded head coach.

I would still be a mavs fan if they started to suck again, but would put it back down into first gear and would not defect to another NBA team.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:13 PM   #33
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
WBAP was greatness when they carried the Rangers and the Mavs, and then the Bill Mack Truckin' Show!!!!! AHHH Man. And I didn't even like country music when I was a kid, but I listened anyway.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:23 PM   #34
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

I was born in Southern California so I started out as a Lakers fan when I was about 9 yrs old in '94. My favorite players were Ced Ceballos and Van Exel. But in March, '95 I moved to AZ and became a Suns fan. That season, the Suns drafted Finley and early in the season he became my new favorite player. The team that season was easy to root for because they had a lot of talent with Barkley, KJ, & Finley but they also had 'Good Guys' like Hot Rod Williams, Danny Manning, A.C. Green, Wayman Tisdale. But they traded Barkley before the 96-97 season even started and a Day after a Christmas loss to LA by like 30, Colangelo panicked and traded Finley the next day, for wife beater.

So I've been a Mavs fan ever since Dec. 26th, 1996, and I will be a MFFL!
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:46 PM   #35
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

[OFF TOPIC]9 years old in 94? *sigh*

I never feel old until I read stuff like that. Next thing I know I'll be wearing Depends and takin' out my teeth every night to soak in the Stain-Away Plus solution.

[/OFF TOPIC]
Old 03-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #36
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

I became a Mavs fan 'cause of one guy: Steve Nash. And I always wondered if I would still be a Mavs fan if Steve was traded. And I know the answer this season: I still love Nash, but not over the Mavs. MFFL!
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:23 PM   #37
sike
The Preacha

Does anyone remember a cartoon called "Freakazoid"...once in that cartoon, the main character asked someone, "So, who do you like it the playoffs?...the other guy mumbled something and then Freakazoid said: "The Mavericks? Yeah Right!"

Just thinking of that Lines still makes me laugh today....the Mavs were so bad that children's cartoons made fun of them....and I was their fan!

Old 03-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #38
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I cut my teeth as a fanatic basketball fan watching all those atrocious teams of the 90's, and consequently, no matter what happens to our team I will always, always be a Mavs fan. Now, I've always been a very passionate, vocal fan of many individual players who have played for our Mavs (I still vividly remember dreaming my old dreams that Cherokee Parks was going to develop into the next Christian Laettner, that Tony Dumas was going to be absolutely, offensively untoppable once he got his jumper down, etc...), and there are of lots of former Mavs around the league that I continue to like (Employee #8, Christian Laettner, etc... ), as well as lots of non-Mav players that I am a fan of, but the liking or disliking of individual players will never be more important to me than my being a fan of the franchise...
Old 03-29-2005, 07:11 PM   #39
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

First ever pro game in any sport was the Mavs at Reunion in 1984.
They played the TrailBlazers an I mainly remember a WHOLE lot of Clyde Drexler slam dunk clinic.

I was pissed someone came from out of town and kicked the Mavs in the butt.

Been a fan ever since.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #40
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Not me, I'm a fair weather mavericks fan. I watched them a little bit when they had aguirre/ro/etc. Went to a few playoff games.

Then when the NBA became a game of bang your ass into your defender until you've backed them under the basket and shoot a layup or get fouled then I couldn't have carred less. Barkley/Shaq make me absolutely sick watching them play.

When cubes bought the mavs and they became competitive again I jumped back on board and have been there ever since. However if they were to go into long stink-it-up mode, I would not re-new season tickets and would find something else to do.

C'est la vie.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote