Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2002, 10:16 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The three who will not be on the roster

1) Adrian Griffin or Greg Buckner - whichever is in the worst health

2) Avery Johnson or Danny Manning - one will be the steady veteran

3) Shawn Bradley or Evan Eschmeyer - according to whether Nellie wants bulk or shotblocking for the playoffs
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2002, 12:13 AM   #2
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

i forgot who was left off of last year's playoff roster?
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:14 AM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

We only have 7 players left from last years roster.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:16 AM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Buck and Bradley probably won't be on the roster. For the third person, I'd probably have to go with ZhiZhi or Manning.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:45 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Buckner and Bradley won't make the roster.

It's a toss up between Manning and Johnson after that, imo.

Of course, it all depends on who we play in the first round. Cause for the 2nd round can't you activate someone then? It seems like I remember Buckner on the IL for the Utah series but was activated for the SA series.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:01 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'd have to say that if griffin is even remotely healthy..he'll be on the roster
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:09 AM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

my "inside" sources tell me that the playoff roster will be this [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

jk couldn't resist

here are my picks:
nowitzki
finley
nash
la frentz
van exel
griffin
abdul wahad
johnson
newman
manning
eschmeyer
najera

bradley gets left off b/c he absolutely sucks. buckner gets left off b/c we have scrap in najera and a bigger more physical version of buckner in abdul wahad. manning and johnson get included for the playoff run. zhizhi gets left off b/c la frentz assumes most of what he used to do and also b/c he's still too soft at this point to contribute much during a playoff run.

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:51 AM   #8
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

01. Dirk Nowitzki
02. Steve Nash
03. Michael Finley
04. Raef Lafrentz
05. Nick Van Exel
06. Johnny Newman
07. Eduardo Najera
08. Adrian Griffin
09. Wang Zhi Zhi
10. Danny Manning
11. Avery Johnson
12. Even Eschmeyer
Will be watching courtside

13. Greg Buckner
14. Shawn Bradley
15. Tariq Abdul-Wahad

The Texas Trio and the Denver Duo are a given, Johnny Newman has gone from being first on the IR when another player recovers to arguably the 7th man in an 8 man rotation and will be definitly be there come playoff time. Not bad for an old guy. Najera's minutes will decline as the season ends but he's still the first Forward off the bench for The Mavs. Adrian Griffin will recover in time to see less minutes but will perform consistently when given them, couple that with his solid play all season long and pull a roster spot. Wang will factor into Nellie's 7 foot perimeter shooting mad scientist scheme and will be on the roster. Danny Manning and Avery Johnson will be on the roster because they are vets with playoff experience and Nellie loves veterans even though Manning hasn't played noticably this year. Eschmeyer's recent status as the main backup center will continue thru the last chunk of the season and will get him a spot. Greg Buckner will have been hurt too often and he won't be able to do enough in the limited minutes he gets when he returns to earn a playoff roster spot. Shawn Bradley has been too dissappointing all season long, he'll barely get in another game this season and will unsurprisingly not make the playoff roster. Last but not least I predict that defensive stopper Tariq Abdul-Wahad will not get more to 7-10 minutes a game for the rest of the season and will not have shown Nellie enough in those stints to give him a spot over Griffin or Newman.

Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 07:37 AM   #9
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Well, I am not too sure who will be on the roster and who won´t ...

Some guys are set:

1. Dirk Nowitzki
2. Michael Finley
3. Steve Nash
4. Raef LaFrentz
5. Nick van Exel

6. Avery Johnson
7. Johnny Newman
8. Adrian Griffin / Greg Buckner / Tariq Abdul-Wahad
9. Adrian Griffin / Greg Buckner / Tariq Abdul-Wahad
10. Eduardo Najera / Danny Manning
11. Wang Zhi-Zhi
12. Shawn Bradley / Evan Eschmeyer

I actually do think Abdul-Wahad, Najera and Eschmeyer will be on the IR, depending on who we face in the first round.

Both Buckner and Griffin are used to both our game plan and our guys, I don´t see Abdul-Wahad making a Playoff roster because of this.
Najera simply lacks size, and if we go with all those guard/forward guys AND our double point NashvanE, I don´t see him beeing too useful, so I´d take Manning over him.
Bradley gets the upside over Eschmeyer because of his playing style. If we get used to play kind of a matchup zone with a "goal-keeper" in the middle (a shot-blocker like laF), we don´t have to change too much things if Bradley substitutes for LaF (IF he gets his ASS off the bench and shows some intensity - a thing he always did in playoffs).

But it all depends on who we meet - if it is Seattle we might not need size too much, so things might change.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:12 AM   #10
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Even though Newman is playing well, I think he'll be left off along with Bradley and Buck.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:27 AM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I've liked Buck's contribution, but he may've gimped himself out of a roster spot for the playoffs and beyond.

Grif needs to heal up too, for that matter.

Like what AJ, Danny and Newmann will bring in terms of veteran leadership and/or playoff experience.

Hope Nájera can make it on to the roster--too much hustle and enthusiasm to leave him behind.

Bradley on the other hand....sometimes I'd just as soon he not show up anymore, but hard to leave him in the stands with the need for size up front.

Is Wang making enough of a contribution to include? He seems stalled out a little. Given the addition of LaFrentz as an outside shooting big man, what does Wang offer in the playoffs?

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 09:42 AM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I really don't think Avery Johnson's going to make it. It seems like he was just brought here to give Nash a spell until the playoffs. Bucker is probably still going to be "injured", so he'll be a lock for the IR. I'm guessing that Manning will be the third.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 10:23 AM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I think Bradley doesn't make unless he shows something soon.
I think Buck doesn't make the roster because of injuries.
I think Newman is the third guy out. Or Abdul-Wahed. But I think it should be Wang.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:58 AM   #14
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Off the playoff roster:
1) Two of Buckner/Griffin/Wahad/Newman - depending on injuries. If all are healthy it will be Buckner with the choice between Wahad and Newman depending on what Wahad shows Nellie in the next 2 months.

2) Bradley - He will be given one more chance to show that the gives a damn. I am assuming that he will not take advantage of that.

On the Playoff Roster
Wang will be on the playoff roster, unless the Mavs have decided not to resign him this summer (and I think he has too much upside for them not to resign him). Leaving Wang off the playoff roster would result in China sending him somewhere else.

Najera will be on the playoff roster. His energy can be important to the team. Also, he's another free agent. He doesn't have the upside appeal of Wang, but he has gotten enough notice this year that he'll be able to get a decent role-player's contract from somebody if the Mavs don't sew him up.

Avery and Manning--Nellie loves his vets. If Bradley amazes everyone and starts to play sometime this next month, then Manning probably fails to make the make the playoff roster instead.

Eschmeyer--whatever else Nellie plans to implement in the playoffs he's still going to want one wide body available.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:30 PM   #15
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

Those who won't make it, and why:

1) Buckner - Griff the same, better player. Abdul-Wahad is similar. Even Najera is similar. And he's injury prone. And he's a free agent after this year.

2) Manning - Newman and Najera beat him out. Manning has done little this year, and Oldman, Avery Johnson, and Nick Van Exel all have playoff experience and veteran savvy. Just don't need him now.

3) The tough call. Many think Bradley goes here, I don't. I think his reclamation will be the surprise of the rest of the season. Come playoff time, I just think Nelson will want his defensive presence. Not too long ago, Najera was half-jokingly mentioned as a 6th player candidate by Nelson, so unless something changes, he makes it to the playoffs. My best guess will be Wang or Abdul-Wahad. With so much Chinese interest, I think Wang goes. I think that Abdul-Wahad stays home, if Griff is healthy. (Or Bradley, if I'm wrong about him.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ) JMHO.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:09 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

with wahad's defensive abilities, i simply cannot see him not being on the mavs playoff roster.

but, we'll see when the playoffs roll around...
i'm sure i'll chalk another one up in my win category
Old 02-28-2002, 10:34 PM   #17
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I don't think you should be allowed to chalk one up in your win category until you make a formal playoff roster prediction [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So far all you've done is name 2 guys who you think will be on the roster.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 10:41 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

yeah..i know epitome...was joking a bit.

good to see that you're being good natured about it.

but..unless griff is hurt..and unless wahad fails to play defensively like he normally does..i just don't see a spot on the 12 man roster for him come playoff time.

what do you think epitome?
Old 02-28-2002, 10:51 PM   #19
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

ok there is someone person saying i'm not a real fan because
i'm always too negative with the whole mavs situation...
but i'm 100% sure that bradley won't make the roster.
that s all i have to say.
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 12:21 AM   #20
MFFL
Guru

I'm going to have to amend my original post. I went with the national impression of Abdul-Wahad rather than looking at the stats themselves. The opinions of Abdul-Wahad that I have read indicate that he is a very good defender. He might be but he is not a better all-around player than Buckner. Buckner is a career .471 shooter and Abdul-Wahad has hit .416, so Buckner is a better shooter. They are both injury prone, they have both only appeared in 22 games this year and have missed a lot of games in their careers. So basically it is a push.

My change will be for #1

<< 1) Adrian Griffin or Greg Buckner - whichever is in the worst health
>>

1) Pick the 2 healthiest - Griffin, Buckner, and Abdul-Wahad
Old 03-09-2002, 12:32 PM   #21
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Here is a quote from Nelson I pulled off db.com, talking about Bradley

“I know for sure he’ll be a factor for this team in the playoffs. You saw that he does bother Karl Malone, like he did in last year’s playoff series. If nothing else, we like him as a situational guy. We like him on the (playoff) roster.’’

I'm guessing that Avery, Tariq, and Manning will be the guys left off the roster when playoff time comes around.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:43 PM   #22
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

After further thought, and assuming that everyone is really healthy, I think that:

1. TAW will not be on the playoff roster because he didn't seem to pick up the defense quick enough. They will hold him out to next summer.

2. Evan Eschmeyer will not make it because he only plays center, and then gets in Nellie's doghouse after a couple of minutes.

3. Either AJ or Manning will be left off. Probably AJ since Fin can play 3rd point in an emergency. Manning at least gives them help at C/PF/SF if others get into foul trouble or we need to give a bunch of fouls.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:51 PM   #23
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I admit to being wrong.... but I **want** Buckner to be on the playoff roster after watching him the last few games. He's been playing well. I just hope he can last the last 40 games (20 regular and 20 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] postseason).
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:44 PM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

As things are now, it appears that Wahad, AJ, and Wang/Eschmeyer are off the playoff roster. Nellie's more likely to leave Esch off, although he might be more useful in the playoffs than Wang.

Old 03-13-2002, 07:19 PM   #25
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

KG-vet,
Although I tend to agree with you, I think Nellie believes Wang will be able to help pull Shaq away from basket. We have 2 games coming up to get an idea as to whether that will work or not.

If it doesn't work, still plenty of time to get Esch &quot;healed&quot;.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:50 PM   #26
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think Eschmeyer is going to be the odd man out since Nelson is determined to work Bradley in. Only way it's reversed is if Bradley completely crumbles.

So, two spots are taken for sure, imo.

Abdul-Wahad (as long as Griffin and Buckner are both healthy) and Eschmeyer.

That would leave Manning or Johnson to join the other two. I would go with Johnson only for the fact that Manning can, at least, fill in at the 4-5 to give rest or fouls. Not to mention veteran leadership on the floor. Nash and NVE will be able to handle the pg duties hands down and if fouls were a concern, we have enough guys that can bring the ball up temporarily.

Old 03-13-2002, 10:57 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Esch, Buck and Wang...buying tickets.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:17 AM   #28
pjsucks

pjsucks is on a distinguished road

We can only hope that eschmeyer and wahad are the first two left off, because evan is pretty much worthless and wahad doesnt even compare to buck or griff, as for the third I think that there is a great possibilty that one of those last two will be legitimatly injured. However if we get lucky then bradley will probably be the odd man out, there is our problem i think bradley can offer a defensive boost he just hasnt been given a chance, and if im right who else takes the fall? not dirk steve fin raef nick najera griff or buck for obvious reasons. Not manning because of his overall experience and talent, not newman cause he's been shuting down star players all season and adding boost to the offense when hes asked, not ajo he's a vocal leader who already has a ring and not wang cause he has better hands and better offense than evan and has the crowd on a leash of his exotic appeal a factor that is obviously valuable in any situation amoung other things. The way i see it we have a problem.

Ich liebe dich Dirk!
pjsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:24 AM   #29
Drbio
Banned

wahad doesnt even compare to buck or griff

Whoa! Slow down there a moment...Wahad is a defensive specialist. Maybe you just haven't gotten to see him play enough. The guy is a shut-down artist.

Doc
Old 03-14-2002, 12:26 AM   #30
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Abdul-Wahad's talent is yet to catch up to his rep... He's got nothing on Buck or Griff...
Old 03-14-2002, 08:09 AM   #31
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

buck will not be buying tix (not that he'd have to anyway)...there is no reason why wahad should make the roster over him...no reason.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:34 PM   #32
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Here is an article about the playoff roster in the Dallas Morning News. A few other tidbits as well.

DMN

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:45 PM   #33
Drbio
Banned

I heard Nellie on the radio today saying that Bradley will have to show him that he is worth keeping on the playoff roster. It sounded really bad for Shawn.