Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-09-2005, 06:45 AM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas @ Suns Round 2 - Game 1

I can't believe it's 6:45 AM on game day and the thread doesn't exist already. Do I detect pre-game jitters from the D-M.com contingent?

MVP. Playoffs. Dirk. Nash. Cuban. The drama is high in this one. We have to steal one in Phoenix, and no better time than the present. A well rested Phoenix versus an in-tune Maverick squad. Give me the good guys.

Mavs 112
Suns 106
Old 05-09-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Dallas @ Suns Round 2 - Game 1

mavs continue the solid play from saturday night and steal home court advantage.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:12 AM   #3
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Dallas @ Suns Round 2 - Game 1

F'em Suns...
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Mavs 242
Sun 231

defense rules the day!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

This might be the best opportunity to steal a game. The Suns could be rusty and out-of-snyc from their long layoff...
Old 05-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Mavs get run out of the building.

Suns 127
Mavs 113
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:49 AM   #7
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

getting amare in foul trouble and making steve work hard will be the keys to this game and im optimistic we can accomplish those goals!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:10 AM   #8
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

I think the biggest key to the series is how well AJ can get his team to play transition defense. The Suns will smoke you if you don't cut off the easy baskets. In the Don Nelson era, the Mavs were not well known for that. The million dollar question is: Has AJ been able to instill that mindset into his team?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #9
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

This the start of a HUGE series. The stakes are high. This could be a incredibly sweet win or a really bitter loss.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #10
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Tough 2-day turnaround for the Mavs. A game 7 elimination game followed by a second round game 1 at the opponents home floor. Lots of energy expended. Especially for this game, Dallas needs contributions from their bench to win this first game.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #11
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

I am just as nervous about this game as I was game 7, and look what happened in game 7. Therefore, I will predict a win. 124-109

Go Mavs! F' Nash and his MVP award.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #12
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

thanks u2.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

oh bitter fate, why do you mock me?!

I BELIEVE.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #14
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Should definitely be a high scoring affair, let's just hope the good guys can score at least one point more at the end than the bad guys. I'll say 108-106 Mavs.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:03 AM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Not sure if this has been posted but if it has then just ignore but its just something to heat up Mavs fans a bit. Amare is talking really wreckless:

Dan Bickley
Republic columnist
May. 9, 2005 12:00 AM

Steve Nash got the trophy. Mike D'Antoni got the birthday cake with candles.

Meanwhile, Amaré Stoudemire left Sunday's practice with empty arms, knowing that today will bring his present: a platform to show the world that he deserved to be in the MVP debate, and a custom-fit series against Dallas, which means he won't be running into Yao Ming and the Great Wall of China.

"What are you going to do to stop me?" Stoudemire said.

Stoudemire was speaking rhetorically, but the question has never been more relevant. The Mavericks are an explosive team. They share most everything the Suns offer, from high-scoring offenses to highly excitable owners. The only thing they can't match is the rolling thunder of Stoudemire, who scored 98 points in three meetings against Dallas during the regular season.

"He's still so young, and he's still learning," Quentin Richardson said. "So you never know what you're going to get with him. But we all know the roof is open and the sky's the limit."

Already, this is a series stuffed with story lines and distractions. The Suns come in rested, the Mavericks come in tested, and the scoreboard operator had better be paying attention. This series will be beautiful, open-floor basketball, and first team to 125 wins.

While Nash may have silently preferred a series against Houston, thus avoiding the words Mark and Cuban, it couldn't be a better draw for Stoudemire. No one with Dallas can guard him. He will be the Suns' best option most every night.

And in a season in which his teammates have garnered much celebrity and acclaim - Nash is the MVP, D'Antoni will likely be Coach of the Year, Richardson is the NBA's three-point-shooting champion and Shawn Marion has that sweet commercial with a local furniture chain - the Mavericks could be the perfect nourishment for Stoudemire's growing appetite.

"I'm just trying to perfect the game of basketball, slowly but surely," Stoudemire said.

Everyone knows Stoudemire wants to be the franchise guy, the one who gets the ball in the fourth quarter. They all know his reluctance to play center, where he risks his body against behemoths in the paint. His desire to be a great player is so insatiable that during the season, Stoudemire would often throw his name into the conversation when discussing Nash's MVP candidacy.

He received but one first-place vote. When asked on Sunday when his trophy would arrive, Stoudemire tossed a glare and a one-word answer:

"Soon," he said.

Stoudemire was also highly complimentary of his MVP teammate, but when asked about the stability that Nash brought to the organization, Stoudemire's answer was most telling:

"I've brought stability, too," he said. "I go to work every day."

In some ways, Stoudemire's ascent has been dizzying. In other ways, he's still waiting for his due.

Stoudemire came from a slippery background, and was considered a risky proposition entering the NBA. While there has been nothing but reward for the Suns, the national endorsements have yet to materialize.

One great series can change that. For Stoudemire, that series is here and now.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #16
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Re: - Amare can't be guarded in this series

This was what I thought as well, BUT we said the same thing about Dirk prior to the houston series and look what happened there.

Is Dampier going to surprise us and lock Amare down?

I am dreading the 10:30 pm start here on the east coast..it really blows staying up till 1 am with work the next day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Also, don't be surprised if the scores aren't as high as you think they might be. I wouldn't be shocked to see a 100-95 game in this series.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

cover the three point shooters and let that cocky kid try and beat you from about 16feet....he'll be humming a different tune then.

has anyone read anything that might give us a hint as to AJ's overall defensive strategy for the series?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Meanwhile, Amaré Stoudemire left Sunday's practice with empty arms, knowing that today will bring his present: a platform to show the world that he deserved to be in the MVP debate,...
Man, if I wanted to disrupt team chemistry on the Suns and try to distract a young team in the playoffs, I'd sure think about trying to convince Stoudamire that HE was the REAL MVP candidate, and that Nash's award was just part of the growing NBA conspiracy in favor of international players and against young home-grown talent like him.

Hmm........
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #19
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Dampier hasn't faced Stoudmire this season has he? I know he didn't face him the last game. I don't think Dampier is gonna be an easy opponent for Amare. Dampier has an inch or two on the guy and is definately longer than him. He should atleast bother him.

1996-2005
Old 05-09-2005, 10:30 AM   #20
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Damp faced Amare for a few minutes the 1st time we played, then Damp came up limp with a hip injury.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #21
LRB
Guru

Quote:
He received but one first-place vote. When asked on Sunday when his trophy would arrive, Stoudemire tossed a glare and a one-word answer:

"Soon," he said.

Stoudemire was also highly complimentary of his MVP teammate, but when asked about the stability that Nash brought to the organization, Stoudemire's answer was most telling:

In some ways, Stoudemire's ascent has been dizzying. In other ways, he's still waiting for his due.

Stoudemire came from a slippery background, and was considered a risky proposition entering the NBA. While there has been nothing but reward for the Suns, the national endorsements have yet to materialize.

One great series can change that. For Stoudemire, that series is here and now.
Sounds like Amare has some serious jealousy issues lurking not quite under the covers. Wonder how quick Amare, and the Phoenix fans for that matter, will turn on Nash if JT starts to do a Bibby on him.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #22
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Not sure if this has been posted but if it has then just ignore but its just something to heat up Mavs fans a bit. Amare is talking really wreckless:

:
:

"What are you going to do to stop me?" Stoudemire said.

:
:

"Soon," he said.

Damn, whats up with all the arrogance? Is it something about the Mavs that brings about the arrogance in teams? Here I was, thinking atleast we are done with arrogance, cockiness and stupid gestures...
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #23
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

This game worries me. Mavs shot lights out in game seven and a poor shooting game usually follows. Ask the Rockets.

Phoenix 118
Dallas 102
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #24
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Mavs 1 Suns 0

Mavs attack the Suns' weaknesses and play a tight defense.

Go Mavs!
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #25
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Dampier hasn't faced Stoudmire this season has he? I know he didn't face him the last game. I don't think Dampier is gonna be an easy opponent for Amare. Dampier has an inch or two on the guy and is definately longer than him. He should atleast bother him.
DAMP played a total of 5 minutes agaisnt the Suns this season....

Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #26
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Damn. Well that's probaly Amare's problem. He thinks he's going up against Calvin Booth.

1996-2005
Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #27
sike
The Preacha

what do you guys think about the possiblity of Dirk spending any time on Amare??? I know many will think Dirk would foul out in five minutes....but I give Dirk more credit than that...

WHAT ABOUT DIRK ON AMARE FOR A CHANGE UP?

Old 05-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #28
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

I can't imagine not seeing Dirk on Amare for some time. We will definately see some small ball in this series which will automatically put Dirk on Amare. I honestly like the matchup. How many guys in this league have we seen just torch up Dirk on the defensive end? My only concern would be Dirk getting in foul trouble. Which is a huge concern actually but i'm sure if we can get Dirk on Amare for minimum minutes foul trouble won't be much of a concern barring any dumb fouls like players going up for dunks and getting an and 1 which will happen this series.

1996-2005
Old 05-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #29
Zack

Zack is on a distinguished road

Come on Mavs..

I want to see a towel over Nash's head by the 3rd quarter..

In the Leagues worst defeat ever!!

Hey, it could happen..
Old 05-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #30
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

I don't even want to make a prediction. I will begrudgingly say Phoenix tonight, though...but the game will illustrate what can and can
t be done against them, and Avery will use that to win the next three games
Old 05-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #31
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Does anyone know how Dampier did against Amare last year? He might be the key to the series.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #32
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

mavs are 3-0 in the playoffs when i wear my old school mavs shorts with an average victory margain of 3.67 pts.
they're 1-0 when i wear the shorts combined with the "dirk is my homeboy" shirt with an average victory of 40 pts. i think i'll stick with that wardrobe tonight...GO MAVS!
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #33
sike
The Preacha

endrity, you have to realize that Amare has taken great strides since last season....

Old 05-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Amare did pretty well against the Warriors last year-- on his average for rebounding and way up in FG%.

Pretty useless stats though. If I recall, Murphy when available guarded Amare. Last year Phoenix played Amare at the PF a lot more so without actually looking it up, I have the feeling that there wasnt much face-to-face matchup between Damp and Amare.

edit it was actually Clifford Robinson that played the majority of minutes against Amare last year
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #35
Zack

I heard they are going to do the same thing they did for Houston..

Let Amare score at will but guard everyone else to death..

Sounds good to me..
Old 05-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #36
LRB
Guru

Quote:
I can't imagine not seeing Dirk on Amare for some time. We will definately see some small ball in this series which will automatically put Dirk on Amare. I honestly like the matchup. How many guys in this league have we seen just torch up Dirk on the defensive end? My only concern would be Dirk getting in foul trouble. Which is a huge concern actually but i'm sure if we can get Dirk on Amare for minimum minutes foul trouble won't be much of a concern barring any dumb fouls like players going up for dunks and getting an and 1 which will happen this series.
The flip side of this coin, if we go with Dirk and 4 smalls, is that either Amare has to take Dirk or Amare has to take a swingman or PG. Either way, I think it gives us an advantageous matchup.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 PM   #37
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Zack
I heard they are going to do the same thing they did for Houston..

Let Amare score at will but guard everyone else to death..

Sounds good to me..
Amare will not beat you on his own...but where did you hear this?

Old 05-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #38
DeutchlandDirk

DeutchlandDirk is on a distinguished road

Give Amare the 16 footer. I mean just back way off and let him shoot it, cause he will. I know he can hit it, but i'll take that 10 times out of 10 over a Marion/Q/Joe/JJ three or dunk.
DeutchlandDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #39
Zack

I can't remember where I heard that about Amare..

... but only thing we need is for Dirk to counter point for point..

Is that too much to ask Dirk..?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #40
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: DeutchlandDirk
Give Amare the 16 footer. I mean just back way off and let him shoot it, cause he will. I know he can hit it, but i'll take that 10 times out of 10 over a Marion/Q/Joe/JJ three or dunk.
I'd be estatic if we could force Amare to take 16 footers for the whole game. That's easier said than done though. Still that should be our strategy.