Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-02-2002, 01:29 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

hehe, don't know how many will respond, but like Murph (with Dirk), I'd like to recognize Finley for a minute.

Obviously, he's struggled this season and right when he turned it on, he injured his hamstring. It's been up and down since the injury but he's found ways to contribute to the team and some of the W's.

Furthermore, he's really been on since the trade. I know it's only 3 games, but he's put up some nice numbers. Not entirely sure why that is, but Im guessing he no longer feels that he has to involve his buddies. Not only does that benefit himself, but it benefits the team moreso.

Anyway, here's his numbers for the last 3 games, and here's (Fin's biggest fan [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) hoping that he continues doing so...

69 points (23 per game)

28-52 (field goals) 53.8%

9-13 (free throws) 69%

4-10 (3-pointers) 40%

25 (rebounds) 8.3 per game

15 (assists) 5 per game

2 (turnovers) .6 per game

2 (steals) .6 per game

I think the only downer is his ft percentage. The 1-4 effort against the Kings really hurt, but I expect he brings that back up and shoots around 83-84 percent for the season.

His turnovers (1.73) are down, and is now 3rd behind Nash (2.89) and Dirk (1.75) for the season averages. I know he's handling the ball less, but still nice to see them down.

He seems to have put an effort on rebounding and assisting. Things he needs to learn to do when not shooting well. Nice to see him scoring and doing the other things.

I'd like to see his steals go back up. They've dropped since coming back from the injury.

Oh well, just nice to see him playing well again.
Old 03-02-2002, 01:32 AM   #2
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

The thing I've liked most about Fin lately is that he seems to be concentrating more on defense. He's been keeping active and being a big help... hope Fin keeps it up...
Old 03-02-2002, 01:35 AM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

He's still my favorite Mav [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 01:56 AM   #4
BASKETBALL 101

BASKETBALL 101 is on a distinguished road

He will be celebrating his 29th Bday on 3/6!!!!
Old 03-02-2002, 02:12 AM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Finley was the building blocks of this team. Yes there are better players now, but Fin stuck through the tough times. This team can trade every other player, but nobody has proven their worth like Finley.

He works hards, never a bad word, works hard, works hard, and works hard.... I wish him all the best I can.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:47 PM   #6
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I've been very excited with his play recently. He's gotten really good at putting himself in position to get the rebound. He's out jumping and out hustleing (spelling?) guys inside. Also he going to the basket more. He's driving more(like everyone wants) and he moving well without the ball. Lots of times he's been in good position to get an alley-oop, but either wasn't seen, or got hammered.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:37 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

hopefully he can keep it up..i'm sticking with my prediction of him having a huge playoff run
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 06:19 PM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the prediction Murph. Don't get a big head or anything, but you are strangely accurate with predictions most of the time.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:32 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, it's hard to be humble..however, i will be..just this once.

besides, the playoffs haven't come around yet..we'll see if i'm right at that time.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 12:36 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping up the thread with an update on his stats since the trade. This is 7 games.

303 minutes (43.2)
173 points (24.7)
68-128 fg (53%)
9-22 3-pt (40%)
28-38 ft (73%)
18.2 shots per game
51 rebounds (7.2)
27 assists (3.8)
7 turnovers (1)
Old 03-09-2002, 01:11 AM   #11
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Wow, I've been so engrossed with the new players that I didn't even notice Finley getting those 18 steals a game! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2002, 01:15 AM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

LMAO...

Sorry Mavinator.

That's supposed to stand for 18.2 shots per game. That's why I put it after the field goal stuff.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:16 AM   #13
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Finley has been playing a lot better since his Chicago buddies have moved on.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:22 AM   #14
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Everyone is saying that he's playing better because the trade talk is over, and it might be, but I just think he finally got into a groove that he's been looking for since his return. But if the talks hindered him that much, let's hope for a quiet off-season.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:25 AM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

He has improved his play since they left.

I think it has to do mostly with the fact that it's gone back to the Big 3 first, then the rest.

Before, Howard was sometimes given too big a role early or during stretches of time where it should have been one of the big 3. Throw in that Hardaway would jack up a shot out of the flow and it spelled disaster. On top of that, Fin would sometimes try to get them more involved, etc...

But, it can't be ignored that he's being more aggressive in this stretch. He's taking higher percentage shots (very few bad shots, but there still there), attacking the basket, getting to the ft line more often. He's rebounding (moreso than usual) and assisting (about season's average) still. And he's taking care of the ball.