Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Wiley_e

Wiley_e is on a distinguished road
Default Your take on summer developmental goals for (not only) Dirk?

So what makes the Suns of this year better than say the Mavs of 2002? I think Amare is a more effective complement to Nash than Dirk was because of his athletic dominance inside.
Now Dirk can get inside at will as well, but he does not finish there near as good as Amare. It's because this is not his FAVORITE MOVE. It is his best tactical weapon when he does not trust his own shot, but he doesn't really like it. Amare on the other hand dies for the Dunk on anyone. That's HIS favorite move. He doesn't have Dirk's three-pointer but he doesn't have to! He has numerous teammates for the threat from downtown. He does not have to be an all-around-weapon we so much wish Dirk to become. Why do we want Dirk to be everything by his own anyway? Isn't that a bit unfair? Isn't this a team sport anymore? Did Shaq win championships by being his own PG and threepoint-threat as well? How about Detroit - where's the superstar who took over singlehandedly last year? What do we expect Dirk to be?
I do think that is the very reason why Dirk failed to live up to the situation in this year's postseason (compared to the level he played at in past playoffs). His own expectations (and everybody else's) for himself have taken so much of his concentration away (improvong defence, developing additional shots, looking to be a better passer, becoming a more vocal leader) - there was not enough left for his natural strength. And that is the worst what could have happened - Dirk not trusting his natural strength: his deadly shot. THAT is his favorite move!

I really do think Dirk should go back and re-focus on who and what he really WANTs to be - CAN be. And the whole team (or better: Avery) should go back to the drawing board and start from here: put everyone where he WANTs to be, look what you've got and go from there.
Stop having Dirk posting up all the time or even having to play center - he doesn't like it and he probably never will be particularly good at it. Let him do it occasionally, but do not force him to do it time and again!
Stop making him think he has to be a triple double threat. If he gets a little better at passing every year -brilliant! But have him concentrate on his strength: SHOOTING. Enhance the shooting-arsenal (hooks, left-handed finesse-shots, whatever). That will improve his inside finishing naturally!
The one area where he consistently should work on - where EVERYONE on this team should consistently work on as a TEAM: defense.
Finally he should not continue to force himself to be a vocal leader. Stick to your natural personality Dirk. Let Avery do the talking, it's his job.

If Devin Harris cannot get close to the Nash/Parker class there IMHO will be only a remote chance for a title for this team. That would have to happen within the next two seasons then... we will see. Keep on trying him!
A PG that can tear apart a half-court set by driving inside and kicking out efficiently - THAT still is the crucial factor for any team. Which by the way is the reason i think the MVP title for Nash is justified, even if it means he probably is one of the worst defenders among MVP's (now that's a different debate of course).

Finally a quick thought on possible trading scenarios and such:
I really would like to keep both Stack and Terry on the Team. Josh and Dirk should be basically off limits and Devin Harris should get a tryout year with at least 30mpg. KVH would be nice to keep around as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Your take on summer developmental goals for (not only) Dirk?

I tend to agree with most of your assessment. My question is? How is Avery going to play Dirk, and in what kind of offense? The offense at the end of the year was awful. It was a Nellie offense made for a PG to run multiple pick-n-rolls, or get Dirk the ball and let him work 1 on 1 and "playschool" figure out what to do if they doubleteam or don't. I really think they need to go to a Sacramento/Detroit type passing offense with Dirk at the high post, and lots of cutters, instead of trying to make him a low-post threat. Dirk gets hammered there w/o the call 90% of the time, and he doesn't finish forcefully most of the time. He just doens't have the strength.

A passing and cutting offense would allow for the whole offense to be run through Dirk, and Howard/Stack/Daniels to be cutters and Fin/Terry/Harris to be spot-up shooters. This would play to the strength of the players, and not to "let's find a mismatch". The Centers would be backside rebound guys, and 15' face-up set shooters (Bradley would thrive in Sacramento style offense). Players who do post-up well simply come off a pick to the low post, and post up.

The offense at the end of the year, was atrocious.

On the defensive side of the ball, if Avery is correct, and it is system instead of matchup, then they should preach it, teach it, and utilize it all year. They should also look for players who will buy into it, and are a little more athletic in the Front court. Damp/Bradley/Henderson are not the quickest, and Dirk isn't strong enough or long enough to play like a defensive guru.

My thoughts: Dallas, change your offense.
Dirk, work on your strengths and improve them. Stop trying to change who you are.
Fin/Terry/Harris, work on the spot up 3.
Howard, Daniels, Stack -- work on the 15' and finishing at the rim.
Damp/Bradley/Benga/PPod -- work on rebounding, finishing, and the 15'
KVH/Dirk - work on passing, driving, and shooting -- you will have to carry the load, and have the Basketball IQ to run the offense. You are both basically large 3's --- utilize it as a strength, instead of making it a weakness.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Your take on summer developmental goals for (not only) Dirk?

Things to work on in the summer:

<u>Point Guards</u>
Jason Terry
-- work on a pass-first mentality.
-- work on how to set guys up for a better shot.
Devin Harris
-- work on how to run an offense.
-- work on keeping your man in front of you and the basket.

<u>Shooting Guards</u>
Michael Finley
-- work on coming off the bench.
-- work on rebounding from the guard position.
Jerry Stackhouse
-- work on shot-selection.

<u>Small Forward</u>
Josh Howard
-- work on his perimeter shot.
-- increase overall body strength to further improve defense and rebounding.
Marquis Daniels
-- work on mid- to long-range jumpers
-- increase confidence in his game.

<u>Power Forwards</u>
Dirk Nowitzki
-- work on post-up moves (over-under, hook-shot, etc.)
-- work on ability to pass from the post.
Keith Van Horn
-- work on defense at the post (need to be stronger).
-- work on rebound positioning.

<u>Centers</u>
Eric Dampier
-- work on overall aggressiveness.
-- work on his ability to catch a pass.
-- work on his post-up moves (see Dirk)
Didier MBenga
-- accelerate his overall basketball knowledge.
-- work on at least 2 post moves.

kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I think that every member of the Mavs needs to spend a goodly amount of time working on defensive footwork. We absolutely sucked against the pick and roll in the playoffs and teams will eat us alive with it all year unless we find a way to defend it. I was watching Detroit defend it last night and they did it by keeping between the dribbler and the pick. It takes lots of footwork to do this.

I also think that every member needs to work on their conditioning. Mavs are best when pushing the ball on offense and presuring the ball on D. That takes lots of stamina to do that on both ends. We need everyone to pick it up stamina wise.

Everyone needs to do some serious studying of the game of basketball this offseason. Our collective basketball IQ was horrible. It would be hard not to improve on it. Players need to know not only what they are supposed to do, but what their teammates responsibilities are as well. Can't emphasis this enough.

Individually players need to work on the following:

Dirk - Post moves. He needs to be able to abuse smaller players when teams decide to stick one on him. This will discourage teams from doing so and leave Dirk guarded by big men more often. Dirk also needs to concentrate on passing, especially out of double teams. Dirk really needs to up his assists a couple per game to take the Mavs to the next level. Dirk also needs to work on adding some muscle. He needs the extra strength to go harder and finish harder at the basket.

Damp - Hands, hands, hands, hands, hands, hands, and Free throws. Damp has got to learn to have better hands recieving passes. This is a must. He also needs to get his FT's up to aleast 70%.

JET - Needs to concetrate on pushing the ball at every opportunity and creating opportunities for teammates. Terry is incredibly quick, but doesn't come close to taking full advantage of his quickness.

Devin - decisions handling the ball and shooting.

Fin - Fin needs to really concentrate on all aspects of D. Fin showed some nice D in the playoffs. Now that Nellie is gone he needs to concentrate on that. Fin can fill a vital roll as a defensive minded swingman who can shoot a high % 3. I don't think that he can really continue as the 2nd goto player after Dirk. Fin has the tools to be a pretty good defender if he'll fully commit to that.

Stack - Shot selection and 3pointers. We need stack to start taking much more of Fin's minutes, but we need good decisions from him. We also need to have him be a better 3 point threat.

Howard - needs to concentrate on the mid range jumper. Josh really needs to forgo the 3 pointer until at least next summer. Also needs to add some muscle.

Daniels - Needs to work on shooting and decisions with the ball.

KVH - Needs to add some muscle. Concentrate on post D. We really don't need to play keith on the perimeter.

Bradley - Needs to work on agression. If he wants any chance of staying here, he needs to be agressive on both ends. He needs to practice that way until it becomes 2nd nature.

I don't see Benga nor Pavel being ready to contribute any next year.

DA will probably be gone.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that every member of the Mavs needs to spend a goodly amount of time working on defensive footwork. We absolutely sucked against the pick and roll in the playoffs and teams will eat us alive with it all year unless we find a way to defend it. I was watching Detroit defend it last night and they did it by keeping between the dribbler and the pick. It takes lots of footwork to do this.
I saw SA have some success with this strategy as well in Game 1 against the Suns.

Dirk - yep, post game. Strength in the core of his body will help both offensively and defensively. I actually think he's really turned into a very nice passer; it's just his decision making when doubles come that needs a little work. Most likely all that's necessary in that respect is a full season of being used regularly in the post - something he's never really done before.

Damp - you guys totally forgot to mention that he needs to working on his hands[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] free throws and the ability to hit an open 12 footer would be nice too.

Fin - I'd like to see him drop a few pounds. He's picked up some weight the last couple years.

Josh and Quis - shooting. They don't have to be three point threats, but they've got to be reliable jump shooters out to 18 feet. Josh made strides this year in that respect - Quis has a lot of work to do.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Dirk - Work on passing out of the double team. That's got to be the weakest part of his game as of right now.
Marquis - Hit the weight room. Leading the league in shots that hit the front of the rim isn't something to be proud of. In other words, work on your jumper.
Josh - Continue to improve your defense. Learn how to not committ silly fouls due to frustration and keep improving that jumper that looked pretty reliable in the playoffs.
Fin- Work on your jumper. Keep up the defense played in the playoffs but get a more consistent reliable jumper.
JET - Watch gametape of Avery. I don't think its over for you when it comes to being this teams starting 1 because I think your capable but your job of getting others involved is non-existant.
Bradley - Just be Bradley but more consistent.
Harris - Improve your jumper. Learn how to run a fast pace offense with your teammates because way too often you decide to walk the ball up court. Use the speed you have. Watch some gametape of Kevin Johnson.
Stack - Learn that your not the number 1 option on the team. Always remember your driving to the basket should always come before your jumpshot.
KVH-Work on rebounding and defense. Hit the weight room also.
Damp - bring intensity more consistently. Don't think you have the right to lay an egg everyonce in a while.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk....A little more strength would help with the post moves. Finding a way to post lower against the smaller guys so you can pass out to a shooter instead of having to pass over the defender.
Work on finishing, I'd like to see a jump-hook thrown in there instead of the sweeping hook.

Marquis, Josh, Stack - Work on your jumpers man. Especially Josh/Marquis.

Damp - Catching the ball and moving your feet. I'd put a tu tu on damp and force him to get some more balance.

Jet - run a damn pick and roll dude. And then another one.

KVH - Weight room, needs to overpower sf's.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, and Devin really needs to hit the weight room too. The only thing he's lacking physically at this point is strength.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:21 PM   #9
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Oh yeah, and Devin really needs to hit the weight room too. The only thing he's lacking physically at this point is strength.
He's still built like a high school ball player, but then again so is Rip Hamilton. I agree with you about Devin, but mostly I just want him to learn how to be an NBA point guard.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk: Your post up game will be far more dangerous when you learn how and when to pass out of the double team. Right now, you rarely make teams pay for the DT.

Devin: Self control and ball control. You have the skill and the vision, in fact all the tools. Need to find a way all summer to practice decision making at NBA speed. You get good enough to play the point 35 minutes a night, we win it all.

Terry: Learn where your teammates need to receive the ball so they can score with it. Go to Germany and have Holger help you and Dirk develop a pick and roll. It will get both more easy jumpers, and open up the drive as well.

Damp: practice catching and dunking

Mantis: practice catching the next plane out of town.

Daniels: Just Shoot. All day, every shot. Free throws, inside, in between, outside.

Fin: Get surgery, get well, get back to your not too old self. Make detractors eat their words.

Howard: Do more of whatever you did last season. You showed the most growth on anyone on the team. Share the secret with Marqus and Devin.

Stack: Rest. You may well be starting in place of Fin.

KVH: Be the trade bait we need to get a powerful 4/5

Hendu, DA: Make Cuban throw you one hell of a going away party. You deserve no less. Thanks for showing the rest of the team what effort looks likes.

This board: Keep being smart. Its been a fun year, glad I found you
Old 05-24-2005, 04:37 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Totally agree here. Devin could put on 20 lbs of muscle and still look underfed.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea i'm not sure what Devin, Shaun Livingston and Tayshaun Prince are eating if at all. DH should eventually gain some weight during the offseason. He looks alot like Gary Payton did when he first came in to the league.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:50 AM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone mention that Dirk needs to work on his postgame? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] This year in the playoffs it became painfully obvious how much he struggles with smaller defenders, although he played better against Marion than I expected him too. People keep talking about his passing, and I agree that he needs to improve, however I was simply amazed at how much he progressed this year as opposed to last year. His pass of the dribble has become a beautiful thing to watch. Anyway, dalmations hit the nail on the head; the team definately needs to work on it offensive flow. I was utterly shocked at the lack of ball movement in the playoffs.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:43 AM   #14
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
. . . the team definately needs to work on it offensive flow. I was utterly shocked at the lack of ball movement in the playoffs.
That's what can happen when you shift emphasis from offense to defense. I think after a solid year of implementing his system, Avery will have them playing much better ball both offensively and defensively. Dirk's development to be a more well-rounded player will mirror this team's development to do the same.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:17 AM   #15
CwDogg

CwDogg will become famous soon enough

Terry - running a fastbreak
Damp - catching,
Finley- making shots in the AAC
Daniels, Howard - Shooting
Mbenga,Pavel, Harris - Everything
Dirk- post game
CwDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:27 PM   #16
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Damp needs to not pick up cheap personel fouls. The mavs were up by 16 in the third quarter when Damp was in the game. After he came back in the fourth the momentum was lost and phoenix would later tie the series. I think Nash had a hell of a season. He was magic for most of the postseason, but he did it for one season.

Dirk needs to develop a post game to dominate lanky small forwards. If Dirk dominates Marion the mavs win the series. He simply didn't do it well enough.

I disagree with the assumption that we can't win with Terry as the point. Terry was the mavs best scoring option. If Dirk becomes a great passer. It may not matter how good of a pass first point guard like Terry.

Josh Howard and Daniels need to improve their ball handling. Howard and Daniels both need to learn to shoot the three.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:25 PM   #17
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Terry certainly wasn't the mavs best scoring option against Phoenix. Dirk needs a point guard who can run the Pick and Roll, otherwise he's shooting-percentage will suffer in the playoffs. It's the same with KG. Every Big Guys needs someone, who sets him up.

Offensively Dirk did a good job against Marion, but on defense the Mavericks were always rotating and no player of the suns could be stopped, with the exception of Richardson, but he's been playing like shit throughout the playoffs...

And why should Howard improve his ball handling? He's got a pretty good ball handling and on college he had to do a lot of ball handling. But on this team they don't need him handling the ball. It's far more important that he improves his shot.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:41 PM   #18
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by: jayC
Dirk needs to develop a post game to dominate lanky small forwards. If Dirk dominates Marion the mavs win the series. He simply didn't do it well enough.
I agree that Dirk needs to work on his post-game, but that last part isn't accurate. "He simply didn't do it well enough..." That's absurd. After struggling in the Houston series, he did MUCH better than I expected him to do against Marion. I don't remember exactly, but I think his stats in the second round were something like 26 and 12. I personally thought expecting him to average 20 ppg in that series would've been optimistic. Dirk did just fine in that series.

Quote:
Terry was the mavs best scoring option.
Uh, for three games against Houston, sure. In the second round Terry was certainly not a better scoring option than Dirk.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #19
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Jason let me introduce you to your left hand.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:45 AM   #20
kik2004

kik2004 is on a distinguished road

Probably I'm the only one - but I think Dirk should work on something different than an efficient post-game...

Just work again on catch-and-shoot...

Anyone remembers Dirk facing the basket and shooting long twos and threes from everywhere within milliseconds after the ball arrives?

Smaller defenders? Shoot over them?
Big defenders? Too late...

o.k. - an occacional catch-and-drive for a dunk might not hurt, without the flopping...

kik
kik2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:05 PM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Probably I'm the only one - but I think Dirk should work on something different than an efficient post-game...

Just work again on catch-and-shoot...

Anyone remembers Dirk facing the basket and shooting long twos and threes from everywhere within milliseconds after the ball arrives?

Smaller defenders? Shoot over them?
Big defenders? Too late...

o.k. - an occacional catch-and-drive for a dunk might not hurt, without the flopping...

kik
I tend to agree, but you need an inside force then, because as good as Dirk is -- it still doesn't hold to an inside force (ie... Shaq's efficiency). Having an inside force is the difference in the Mavs and the Suns right now. I am just not sure that Dirk is the inside force we need, or if we need to trade for an inside force, and allow Dirk to destroy people with his outside shot and drive. Can PPod or Benga develop? Can Damp learn to catch - so he can be that guy? Do the Mavs change the offense where and inside force isn't needed as badly?

I don't know the answers, I just see a few questions that I think the Mavs need to answer this offseason.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote