Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all
Default Rawle Marshall

Rawle Marshall is my new guy to watch this summer. Anyone ever seen him play??

Chicago Pre-draft camp quotes from Hoopshype.com

Day 4
Quote:
- Rawle Marshall: 13 points, 6/14 shooting, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 block � Although his numbers may not jump out at you, Marshall's game resembles that of an NBA player more then anyone in camp. He is long, active, and just has a certain smoothness to his game that words really cannot describe. Marshall scored on athletic dribble drives to the basket as well outside jump shots off of the dribble. He has all the tools to be a very solid player in the league.
Day 3
Quote:
- Rawle Marshall: 8 points, 2/7 shooting, 3 rebounds � Marshall didn�t have the best shooting night, but did impress with some NBA caliber moves, including a pull-up jumper near the three-point line. He also looked strong taking the ball to the basket. His ballhandling and outside shooting are quite hit-or-miss at this point, but his upside could certainly warrant a selection in the second round.
Day 2
Quote:
- Rawle Marshall: 13 points, 4/9 shooting, 3 rebounds, 3 assists � Rawle continued to show a lot of NBA potential, playing impressive defense and using his great length to disrupt opposing players. He showed a wide variety of pro moves throughout the day, handling the ball well, nailing sweet pull-up jumpshots off of the dribble, and boasting top level athleticism.

And the long description (from ClubLakers:
Rawle Marshall 6-7 190 SG/SF Oakland Sr.--Great all-around athlete who carries his Oakland team, giving his stock a tremendous boost in the process. Very long, lanky and athletic swingman who gets to the line 10 times a game for his team. Has good size and a long wingspan for the NBA; terrific athlete with excellent quickness, body control, and a solid first step and vertical leap. In terms of raw tools, certainly fits the bill to improve, with big upside. Can create his own shot and finish well around the basket. Good ballhandling skills and can get to the hole and finish strong simply by jumping off one foot and letting his length do the rest. Potential also lies in perimeter shooting, hitting quite a lot of threes and showing nice elevation and high release in his shot. Has shown some ability to hit shots off the dribble, at times. Can be a potential hustle player, with a lot of energy, for some team off the bench. Has good rebounding skills with his physical tools, which also allows him to finish strong after contact. Seemed positionless at college, playing from the 1-4 spots and creating havoc; bringing the ball upcourt helped his progression as a player. Has the physical tools to lock down SGs/SFs, but that hasn't been fully shown because his team plays a lot of zone. Nonetheless, can be a terror in the passing lanes and averaged about 2 steals and a block a game, leading his team in both categories. Can score and has made a lot of accomplishments already in college;had defensive player of the year honors. Transferred from Ball State University after 1 year there. Pretty raw player, somewhat like Josh Smith, despite his age and being a 5th year senior, in almost all aspects of the game. Very skinny still and his ballhandling/shooting might need some adjustment for the NBA. Doesn't have extraordinary high basketball IQ, evidenced by his 3.2 turnovers per game; does many things raw and inexperienced players do, such running into brick walls, killing his team's ball movement, gambling and overpenetrating excessively, and whatnot. Perimeter shooting, especially from threes (29%) still needs work, although this might be because he takes some bad shots. Streaky outside shooter, which is not really a strength of his. Focus might not always be there mentally, can be streaky from game to game and even within the game itself. Excellent in spurts and very passive in others--not really an issue in the NBA though. Hasn't been tested much, and he comes from a relatively unknown school. Sort of like Ricky Minard of last year. A lot of potential.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Rawle Marshall

The best NCAA performances for week of March 9th 2005

Rawle Marshall, SG, Oakland

Marshall has had an up and down year at Oakland, but has been absolutely on fire lately, scoring 23 points or more in his past 8 games heading into Oakland's game last night and 9 out of the last 10 overall. Marshall and his team are officially on cloud number nine after accomplishing an incredible feat by making the NCAA tournament through the Mid-Con tournament's automatic bid. Marshall was named tournament MVP for his efforts as well.

Oakland entered the tournament at just 9-18 on the season, but still managed to knock off three teams in four nights and secure their spot in the dance. Marshall's streak of 23 point games or more is over now after he scored only 18 to go along with 8 rebounds in the finals, but he could care less about that I am sure. He showed off his stuff very well on national TV and his stock is going through the roof with the way he's played this past month.

Marshall is an extremely long and athletic swingman who plays very good defense and gets to the line almost ten times a game. He can really create his own shot and finishes very well around the basket, but he looks extremely raw. As you may have seen last night, his team really needs him to do it all for them to be successful, and that's why they've been relatively easy to shut down this year. Marshall reminds one a bit of Josh Smith in his rookie year this season, but with a much better handle. His outside shot is very streaky, and generally not a strength of his, but is has been falling for him lately (17-for-39 over this roll of nine games). Better late than never is our approach to Marshall turning it on right before his NCAA eligibility expires, and seeing him in the tournament against a top team like Illinois (who he played already this year) would be great for his chances of being drafted. We're assuming that he'll be in Portsmouth regardless.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Rawle Marshall

Wednesday, March 16, 2005
Rawle Marshall kicks off tournament with a bang
By Jonathan Givony

The NCAA tournament kicked off today, and we had a surprisingly good game in the play-in broadcasted on ESPN, highlighted by one terrific performance by a rising NBA draft prospect.

Rawle Marshall and to a lesser extent Cortney Scott took Oakland on their backs, scoring 29 and 21 points respectively, helping the Golden Grizzlies blow out Alabama A&M in Dayton, Ohio, although the final score made it look closer than it actually was.

Marshall just gave his draft stock a big shot in the arm with his performance tonight. He showed everything we thought he needed to show and more in front of a huge national audience and a large number of NBA scouts. His terrific athletic ability and prototypical frame now give him a much better shot of being drafted with this latest performance.

Marshall shot the ball extremely well, going 3-4 from behind the arc, he brought the ball up the floor at times for Oakland, and created his shot in spectacular fashion a number of times while the shorter Alabama guards looked on helplessly. For a team like Oakland to have the ability to just run down the shot clock and then give the ball to Marshall and let him create is a huge plus for a team like them.

His most impressive move of the night will likely easily be considered one of the top dunks of the tournament: he received a pass on the perimeter in the first half, threw a beautiful fake to get his man off balance, and then took the ball strong to the hoop and elevated from no man's land for a thunderous dunk and finish thanks to his shocking wingspan and even better vertical leap, with a foul called as well for good measure.

He did show his loose handle here and there, and generally still looks somewhat raw in many areas, finishing the game with five turnovers, but he surely did a lot more to help himself with the way he created and shot the ball tonight. He's now moved up 9 spots on our mock draft to #44 with his excellent performance. Let's see how he does against the Tarheels.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Thanks for your support V.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
bcrav4
Golden Member

Hey, why isn't he on the official summer league roster? Does anybody know what happened?
Old 07-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
dashthemavfan13

dashthemavfan13 is on a distinguished road

I think he was considering 3 teams actually, and I guess he didn't pick us.
dashthemavfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to break the mavs roster, I'd be reluctant to come here as a prospect as well. A veteran yea, but a prospect, pretty tough. The NBADL should help somewhat, but still making the bigs is everyones dream.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #8
bcrav4
Golden Member

Looks like he chose between Memphis and Mavs...and chose Memphis

Quote:
"My agent was telling me how much Jerry West liked me," Marshall said Monday, referring to the basketball Hall of Famer and current Grizzlies president of basketball operations. "When I worked out there (before the draft), I got a good vibe."
Old 07-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
bcrav4
Golden Member

I guess Rawle is back! Scored 17 pts, 4 rbs. 5 stls. today against the Hawks.

ps-And it looks like we have kennedy winston too.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:53 PM   #10
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

When a team has 5 roster spots open, the free agents want to make themselves available, and the team is agressive in trying to get the best they can find. I like it.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:14 PM   #11
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road

Good call Bcrav4 on Marshall...I know it's only 1 game...but it was an impressive performance by him nonetheless. I really liked the fact that he had no turnovers in 31 minutes of action. In addition...I'm sure his 5 steals pleased the defensive-minded Avery Johnson as well. The key thing is consistency. We'll see what happens on Monday against Charlotte.
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:16 AM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking over Rawle's stats with Memphis' summer league team. Today's effort with the Mavs appears to have been his best so far. Hopefully there's more where that came from.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #13
sandeepgm

sandeepgm will become famous soon enough

More on Rawle marshall...Got it from Hoopsworld.com. You guys might enjoy reading this

"The Mavs got in to Salt Lake City from Las Vegas' summer league late the night before the game, and the coaches, Charlie Parker and Paul Mokeski, only made it in a couple hours before the game. Charlie was almost apologetic about the team, which only garnered 8 assists for the game. It's important to have point guards in these leagues, or else your wings or 2-guards are going to have to play out of their comfort zone. Dallas would love to have points Devin Harris and Marquis Daniels here, but they are dinged and not with the club in Utah. The Mavs added a couple of players for the Review portion of their summer.

One of them, Rawle Marshall, overshadows the Mavs understandable problems in winning games here. Marshall was "the man" for Oakland University, the team that won the "play-in" game in the NCAA. Yesterday is the first time Parker got to even meet Marshall, who played for Memphis in the So-Cal pro league. But Parker got a good look at his new player, playing Rawle 31 of the game's 40 minutes. Rawle may be like the Mavs' draft pick this year. Mark Cuban called him right after the draft and asked him, "How'd you like to be the 61st pick in the draft?" It really lifted Rawle's mood after he went undrafted, despite some promises from some teams. Marshall is listed at 6-7; I talked to him and I believe it. He looks long on the court as well, because he is so thin, listed at 190. All these other players coming into the league...they want to be muscled up to the point of tightness. But how did Jordan do it? He came in lanky, then put on some muscle later. Rawle has the right idea, not that he doesn't lift already, because he has a wiry strength to him. And he has his quicks, a lot of quicks. And a lot of handle, with either hand, crossing over either direcion, behind the back, between the legs.

He might be close to Lu Deng with such a good handle for such a young guy (Rawle is actually 23, very well spoken and in possession of a new Commumications degree from Oakland). Sitting with my colleague during the game, I kept saying, "Here he comes again." I was saying it every time Rawle touched the ball. Rawle was making so many real estate gaining moves out there, the people could have nick-named him Carlton Sheets. Marshall was born in Guyana, moved to NY when he was four, and to Detroit when he was 15. "I had the best of both worlds. Both New York and Detroit are basketball cities, and I kind of picked some things up in both places." He was sitting behind a couple of draft picks for Memphis at Long Beach; now he's excited to get major burn here with the Mavs, the team he really wants to sign with. "I would love to play for Dallas. They play my style of ball." Yes they do, and Rawle and Charlie both say he is a "defense first" guy; he had 5 steals yesterday. I see more than defense. Hear me now and believe me later...I see an NBA player in Rawle Marshall.
"
sandeepgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

nice find sand, great read. Man, would it be nice to score either Powell or Rawle or hell, both this summer. Those guys could help a lot in deep bench situations. Both guys seems to know how play for there ages and seem to be willing to learn. I'm for them taking a few spots on the bench.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote