Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
BirdReincarnation41

BirdReincarnation41 is on a distinguished road
Default Do we have too many scorers on the team?

Harris = scoring point guard
Terry = shooting guard in point guard's body
Daniels = never met a shot he didn't like; hates to pass.
Finley = takes 14 shots to score 15 points; nuf said.
Howard = will be playing for a big contract next year; doesn't like to pass
Stackhouse = never met a shot he didn't like; has ego the size of montana
Dirk = Our superstar who has yet to reach 20 shots per game in a season.
Van Horn = "Dirk-lite", nuf said
Dampier = if he doesn't score, he refuses to rebound and defend.

Am I missing someone.

Anyway, the point of this exercise was to show you we have no player on our team who will defend or offer intangibles as his primary role. This is not championship basketball by any stretch of the imagination.
BirdReincarnation41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Do we have too many scorers on the team?

I think Dampier and Howard offer bigger contributions in defense in rebounding than in scoring. And don't forget that is seems to be a given that Finley will be waived. I think shot distribution is less of a problem than it has been in seasons past.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
cripple balls

cripple balls is on a distinguished road

Harris is known as a great defender coming out of college
Daniels is a great passer for a 2/3
Howard is defender/ Garbage guy
Finley is gone
Dampier never gets any touches

Zzzzzz……..
cripple balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
vashjan

vashjan will become famous soon enoughvashjan will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Do we have too many scorers on the team?

that's why we have Avery!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

IMO the only Mavs I thought tried to score too much at times were Stack and Fin. Honestly the rest seemed a little hesitant. Next year we could have a great set up, with Dirk and JeT shooting, and Q, JHO, Damp picking up scraps. But still, the wild card will be Stack. He tends to et got up in 1 on1 .
And as far as KVH. I liked most of his shots. When he gets hot, he tended to take a bad shot, but thats understandable.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

I think Harris, Daniels and Howard, with a motivated Dampier, can be an awesome defensive combination.
And Avery has the right philosophy: you can't win it all without a championship calibre defense.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

To the question "Do we have enough scorers:"

Depends on who we play I guess - if we're playing Phoenix, then apparently we don't have enough. If we're playing Houston, then just enough.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

It's all about men and egos accepting different roles and playing as a unit to win.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

BirdReincarnation41 i agree. Did anyone notice that a big portion of our offense was isolation offense? We do not have a good passer. However i do think stack is a much better teamate than he used to be.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
<u>Do we have too many scorers on the team?</u>
No, we don't have too many scorers on the team. We do have to many inefficient scorers on the team though, and an isolation offense that doesn't really work at a championship level with the players currently on the team. Nearly every player on the team is being asked to change the weaknesses in their game instead of strengthening the game they currently are proficient at.

Dirk doesn't need to be an awesome 7' who shoots 3's efficiently and gets to the rim.......no he needs to work on his post game.
(after all, Dirk is Tim Duncan)
Damp needs to learn to shoot outside. Right now, he can't clean up, catch the ball or control the paint, so let's move Dirk down there.
(after all, Damp is Nazr Mohammed)
Daniels has the best post moves on the team, and a nice crossover into the paint......so let's work on his 3pt and jumpshot instead of his mid-range and slashing.
(after all, Daniels is Brent Barry)
Howard can't shoot the 3, and since he is totally efficient at cleaning up the offensive glass, then let's park him out at the 3 point line instead of making him a cutter.
(after all, Josh is Bruce Bowen)
Terry is a good PG who can shoot, and run an offense, so let's make him change into a pass first Nash-type penetrating PG.
(after all, Terry is Tony Parker)
Fin is really a good spot up shooter, so let's be totally upset when we tell him to take it to the rack all the time, and get upset when he can't get there with the ball.
(after all, Fin is Manu)
Stack is a slasher, so let's put him in the corner, let Dirk drive and kickout to him with no time on the clock, and then be upset when he doesn't shoot efficient jumpshots.
ETC, ETC, ETC.

The offense this last year was Nellies and built around having a pass first PG to run the pick-n-roll and isolations. If Nellie would have redesigned his O for the personnel he had, this team would have been a 60 win team, IMO. At the end of the year, it looked like it was a version of the SA offense, w/o the right players in the right positions to utilize their strengths.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very interesting take on the matter, Dalm. Very interesting. Bears further watching.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
Misfit Mav

Besides Dirk working on his post game, which I think is necessary, and Josh and Marquis improving their shooting, which everyone sems to want, I haven't heard AJ or anyone else call for any of those changes. Who has asked Damp to learn an outside shot? Is the point that AJ wants to turn this team into an EXACT copy of the current Spurs team and is going against all logic to do that? That doesn't seem likely to me.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Old 07-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure Avery Johnson, being involved with basketball all his life and more than any of us can come close to, understands that he cannot replicate the San Antonio Spurs team. I'm sure that he understands the weaknesses and strengths of the players on the Mavericks and he will try his best to coach to the best of his ability. Defensively, what it comes down to is that individually, our players do not seem to be passionate about it. Defense is about being motivated to sell out and stop the man in front of you. For too long, the Mavs have been more eager to run to the other side and score instead of putting their foot down and playing some respectable defense. Avery Johnson is slowly changing the mindset of some of the players left over from the Nellie regime, some you can change some you can't. Some you can keep, some you don't. This is AJ's team, not Nellie's.

Contact Me
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 PM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is the point that AJ wants to turn this team into an EXACT copy of the current Spurs team and is going against all logic to do that? That doesn't seem likely to me.
The point is that Dallas does not have the players skillsets to be like SA.... so they are going to have to do it a different way.

Everything that I have been hearing though, like Dirk needs to work on posting, Daniels/Howard on outside shot, Terry on pentrating and dishing are all in line with the offense that is run by SA. The problem is, TD controls the paint on the offensive end -- Dirk is not that kind of player, so why try to make him into that player. Why try to run an offense that is destine to fail at the highest level because of it?

The only hope I have is that AJ said he wanted to use Dirk as a SF some. Now that is right up his alley, if they can get an athletic 4/5 that can control the paint/boards on offense.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #15
alby
Guru

I think Dirk improving his post game, howard/marquis improving their outside shot, jason terry working on his point guard play are things that should be requested anyways, whether AJ is trying to model his team after the spurs or not. Those improvements are necessary even if each of those players were not on the Mavericks.

Contact Me
Old 07-20-2005, 11:25 PM   #16
Misfit Mav

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
Is the point that AJ wants to turn this team into an EXACT copy of the current Spurs team and is going against all logic to do that? That doesn't seem likely to me.
The point is that Dallas does not have the players skillsets to be like SA.... so they are going to have to do it a different way.

Everything that I have been hearing though, like Dirk needs to work on posting, Daniels/Howard on outside shot, Terry on pentrating and dishing are all in line with the offense that is run by SA. The problem is, TD controls the paint on the offensive end -- Dirk is not that kind of player, so why try to make him into that player. Why try to run an offense that is destine to fail at the highest level because of it?

The only hope I have is that AJ said he wanted to use Dirk as a SF some. Now that is right up his alley, if they can get an athletic 4/5 that can control the paint/boards on offense.
I agree with you that we can't replicate the Spurs roster, but I do think we can learn some things from their success.