Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-07-2002, 03:05 AM   #1
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Every since NVE became a Maverick media types and posters around the internet have been saying that Nick is more of a 2 guard trapped in a point guards body. I am gonna have to call BS on that one.

Nick Van Exel sees the floor better than any Maverick. In his first game as a Mav he spots Fin for the alley oop. When was the last time we saw that from Nash? I'm not saying that NVE is the better ball handler, or penetrator. I AM saying that he has more Jason Kidd in his game than Nash.

SO...why do we want NVE to be the 2 when he and Nash are in the game together? The way I see it, NVE can break the defense down better and just kick it out to the nearly automatic Nash. The alternative is Nash kicking to NVE, the guy who's hit ONE 3 as a Mav. Basically, by definition the shooting guard will take more shots than the point. So I say let Nash be COINED the SG, and NVE the pg when we play them together.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:11 AM   #2
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree...When the two are in the game together, Nash makes a better 2 guard than NVE....

But as far as who the better point is..the jury is still out on that one.....
Old 03-07-2002, 03:42 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

personally, i think nash is a better point guard or two guard than NVE
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 05:56 AM   #4
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I agree Murph, but my REAL objective i guess is:

If they had to be on the court on the same time, Nash should be the SG, not NVE.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:02 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Best point gurard: Nash.

Best passing Mav: Nash.

Most tradeable asset posing as a rent-a-guard: NVE.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< I agree Murph, but my REAL objective i guess is:

If they had to be on the court on the same time, Nash should be the SG, not NVE.
>>

I couldn't agree more. If the debate is which player is better, I think Nash is the answer, regardless of which position he's playing on the floor. If the question is which guy should set up the offense and which guy should take the shots when they're on the floor together, I think NVE should handle, and Nash should shoot.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:42 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well..when they are on the court together..both should set up the offense...doesn't have to be one specific guy..remember, this is the mavs..everyone on the court can set up the offense.

but nash should be the one taking more shots than nve
Old 03-07-2002, 11:43 AM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Van Exel is a very good passer - maybe the best on the Mavs. He actually averages less turnovers per game than Nash. Van Exel is also more of a &quot;playground&quot; ball player. He will attempt the lob pass where Nash does not. That lob is a pretty play when it works, but a majority of the time it is a turnover.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:59 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< but nash should be the one taking more shots than nve >>

Agreed.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:59 PM   #10
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Nick Van Exel is a better passer, has better handles and penetrates better than Nash. Nash has a habit of over-penetrating sometimes. Nash is a better shooter, Nash is a better defender, and even though he doesen't have the same talent of taking over a game and creating his own shots that Nick does he is also a better scorer. I never agreed with the whole 2 trapped in a 1's body definition of Van Exel, Nash is much more of a shooting guard playing point than Van Exel is. I said something about this earlier, and I'll reiterate. I think there's a slight chance that the off-season trade bait might be Nashty instead of Nicky.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 06:05 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I go with Nash, but only because I haven't seen enough of NVE.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 06:25 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

i really don't think nve is a better ball handler..yes, sometimes nash gets in trouble by over penetrating..but i seriously don't think nve is as good of a ball handler...not at all
Old 03-07-2002, 06:58 PM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.... Nick does a little better job on feeding the ball into the post... and a little better on pick and rolls.

When they are both on the court I would prefer Van Exel to set up and Nash to score. Besides Nash being a better shooter than NVE, Nash doesn't have to expend energy running the offense all the time which will really help Nash &quot;close out&quot; games because he'll still have some legs.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 07:11 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

nick is just too out of control to handle the ball more than nash..

no, he doesn't necessarily turn the ball over..but he does get out of control and throw up alot of very poor shots.
he'll do that regardless of whether he's playing the 1 or the 2...

simply put, i think nash is a better fit at the point guard and i think he's a better fit at the 2.

yes, nick is a good passer but regardless of the position he plays, he is out of control too often
Old 03-07-2002, 07:13 PM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< I said something about this earlier, and I'll reiterate. I think there's a slight chance that the off-season trade bait might be Nashty instead of Nicky. >>

Epitwotwo,

I sure hope that doesn't pan out--it would erode some fan support for the Mavs. I think that a lot of fans have 'bonded' with Nash and (by extension with the Mavs) by watching him work his way from trade disappointment to All-Star. This professional evolution coincided with the Mavs transformation from a disorganized bunch of would-be gunners to the high-octane offensive machine they usually are this year.

NVE has a style of play that appeals to a lot of fans--but he hasn't really been responsible for running a winner, other than a couple of mildly successful years out in LA. And he has certainly developed a reputation off the court that has to be overcome.

Nash v. NVE really shouldn't be an issue for the Mavs. NVE is welcome to make his contribution to the Mavs this year, but I can't imagine him being on the team a year from now.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 07:17 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

i agree..it doesn't really matter too much as to which you'd rather have at point..since both will get alot of time there.

and i seriously doubt nash will be trade bait.

i think nellie likes the idea of having nve and nash..

but food for thought..could nve and fin be trade bait in the off season?
Old 03-07-2002, 07:23 PM   #17
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Nash v. NVE really shouldn't be an issue for the Mavs. NVE is welcome to make his contribution to the Mavs this year, but I can't imagine him being on the team a year from now. >>

As long as the team does well in the post-season, I can very well see NVE still here next year. Whatever his off-court issues, he is a top 10 point guard which makes him worth a lot--Possibly more than might be offered for him this offseason. But then the following offseason is the eagerly-awaited 2003 when so many top stars are, at least potentially, available. At that point, NVE (and his contract) could be very useful in a sign-and-trade.

IOW unless NVE really hurts the team (which I don't see him doing) or unless some team makes us a really impressive offer, I would not be surprised if the Mavs didn't hold on to NVE for use in the 2003 trade season.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 07:30 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

actually, some teams may be willing to part with some of their superstars if unable to ink them to long term contracts after this season...they may be willing to get something instead of getting nothing at all after next season...this might leave certain mavs as possible trade bait.

just a thought...