Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coach Rankings....Avery==19th.

I don't think I can disagree with much here. Added the person before and after avery for reference.

We're number 19!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

20. Bernie Bickerstaff, Charlotte (355-407, .466) -Bickerstaff was hired by Bob Johnson to run the Bobcats due to his surplus of experience coaching in the NBA (11 seasons), and also because of his notable track record in developing young talent (Tom Chambers, Xavier McDaniel, Dale Ellis, Nate McMillan, Dikembe Mutumbo, Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, Juwan Howard). Bernie did exactly that last season with Charlotte in taking part in the commendable improvement of Emeka Okafor, Primoz Brezec, and Gerald Wallace during the Bobcats' inaugural season. While Bernie is not expected to man the sidelines for Charlotte beyond 2007, his contributions to the franchise over the next two seasons as coach as well as GM will be central to where the Bobcats are headed.

19. Avery Johnson, Dallas (16-2, .889) -Avery took over for Don Nelson late this past season after having stepped in for him several times throughout the year. With a fresh (and hilarious) voice and an emphasis on toughness, the Mavericks took off under the little guy to close the regular season and came back after losing the first two games at home to beat the Rockets in the first round of the Playoffs. While it was blatant that Avery was being outcoached in this series by Jeff Van Gundy early on, he showed a lot of poise in guiding his team back from that tough deficit and into the second round. After an ugly loss to the Suns in the next round, it appeared as though Avery had let his team get out of control and that he certainly couldn't find a way to get the most out of a struggling Dirk Nowitzki. If he wants to take that next step up into the top echelon of NBA coaches, Avery is going to have to assume more control of his team and ensure that he gets the most out of them when it really counts.

18. Byron Scott, New Orleans (167-203, .451) -Scott was the head coach of the Nets during their back-to-back Eastern Conference title runs in 2002 and 2003, but it doesn't mean he was well-liked by his players. Jason Kidd was outspoken about his hatred for Scott and Kenyon Martin supposedly had problems with him as well. In fact, a lot of people will tell you Eddie Jordan had as much to do, if not more, with the success of the Nets while he was an assistant there. If you want to know why Scott is ranked below his former assistants Jordan and Lawrence Frank, consider this-- after Jordan left to take the head coaching job in Washington, the Nets stumbled out of the gate, going 22-20 before Scott was fired. Frank then took over as interim coach, leading New Jersey to a 25-15 record and another Atlantic Division crown. Though Scott struggled in his first season with New Orleans, nobody is laying blame on him due to the impossible circumstances he encountered-- although it should be noted that Baron Davis didn't like him. Scott needs to learn how to get along with his superstars if he ever wants to get back to the Conference Finals again.

Ooopss..My bad..link fixed.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
MAVSWIN

MAVSWIN is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Coach Rankings....Avery==19th.

Who wrote this article? Was it Stein from ESPN? He and our local sports writer Tim Colishaw are the too biggest idiots is sports history!
MAVSWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Coach Rankings....Avery==19th.

while I agree, I dont think this article gives evidence toward that conclusion.

From what I saw, the article is true.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

So the Number 19 coach, with less than half a season's experience, took a team and beat the Number 8 coach. Does this suggest that coaching impact is overrated?

Seems a bit silly to try to rank Johnson based on half a season. But if they're going to, I'd rate him somewhat higher than 19th.

Coaches I can not rank ahead of Johnson:

Byron Scott (no fu*kin' way--he's #30)
Lawrence Frank (too much existing talent, too little competition)
Mike D'Antoni (I'm going to nominate him as the most overrated)
Mike Dunleavy (career underachiever)
Scott Skiles (career overahiever)
Nate McMillian (Avery's team finished with a better record last year)
George Karl (George giveth, but George also taketh away)
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #5
Dirkfanatic

Dirkfanatic is on a distinguished road

i think avery is gonna go up in the rankings in the future.
Dirkfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Ranking coaches is so stupid.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Hitman is right on this one.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I' don't care much about "ranking" but I thought the writers observations were pretty solid.

Also I don't see any reason why we were down 0-2 to houston at home except coach not being ready. I didn't see coach ever quite get it together in the suns series.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I' don't care much about "ranking" but I thought the writers observations were pretty solid.

Also I don't see any reason why we were down 0-2 to houston at home except coach not being ready. I didn't see coach ever quite get it together in the suns series.
I fully agree. I can't help but believe Dirk would have been his usual dominant self in the playoffs if Nellie had still been coaching.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I fully agree. I can't help but believe Dirk would have been his usual dominant self in the playoffs if Nellie had still been coaching.
Why couldn't it have been the defense? Nellie coached Dirk for three games against PXH and Marion gave him fits in every one of them. Was he saving his good strategy for the playoffs?

If Nellie had a Magic bullet, whey didn't he pass it to Avery, or pass it to Del to pass to Avery if he didnt' want to intrude.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
Why couldn't it have been the defense? Nellie coached Dirk for three games against PXH and Marion gave him fits in every one of them. Was he saving his good strategy for the playoffs?

If Nellie had a Magic bullet, whey didn't he pass it to Avery, or pass it to Del to pass to Avery if he didnt' want to intrude.
Thank you.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:

Against Phoenix, maybe, but I seem to remember Dirk being pretty damn dominant against Houston in the regular season. Not only did he play the best game of his career against them (53 pts, 16 reb) but he was his regular phenominal self in just about every game against them..
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 PM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Against Phoenix, maybe, but I seem to remember Dirk being pretty damn dominant against Houston in the regular season.
He was being guarded by Juwan Howard...Dirk kills slow power forwards.

It's easy to say "-Dirk has always been coached by Nellie -Dirk has always played well in the playoffs therefore is playoff performance must be Avery's fault". The fact is, Dirk has never faced two straight defenders like McGrady and Marion. Quick, long small forwards have always given him trouble, it's just that most teams can't afford to play him with a three.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:21 PM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

As for the overall list, the writer seems to have succumbed to the recency effect. Nate McMillan, Scot Skiles and Mike D'Antoni are all in the top 11 because their teams did better than expected this season. Meanwhile a guy like Rick Adleman who took Portanld to the Finals twice and who always keeps the Kings competitive despite a constant barrage of injuries comes in at 13.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:00 AM   #15
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

This is the most ridiculous ranking. Stan van gundy is ranked 12, below his brother, george karl, skott skiles and "first round" flip saunders!?!???!
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:21 AM   #16
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Stan is gonna be out of a job before the season is over. Well, he will be retained as an assistant, but Riley is destined to take over that job soon, Shaq wants that.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:26 AM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lebanese_Fan
Stan van gundy is ranked 12, below his brother
Jeff has taken a team to the finals, Stan had Shaq and Wade in his first season as a head coach and is about to be fired. No way in hell is Stan a more desireable coach than Jeff.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:31 AM   #18
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Retarded, let's rank a coach after 18 regular season games, and a couple of playoff series. Avery gets an incomplete.

Could someone post the article where trainers are ranked? Thanks

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote