Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-26-2005, 05:36 AM   #1
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of
Default Nowizki Interview - "There's a lot I can still improve!"

Alright guys I'm gonna try to translate this interview which I've found in the "Stuttgarter Zeitung" today. I hope you enjoy it:

>>>Mr. Nowitzki, your mentor Holger Geschwindner has been released from remand this Wednesday. How relieved are you?

Needless to say, I'm very happy that Holger has been released. That's very important for me particularly with regard to the preparations for the European Championships.

>>>The situation these last few weeks, in which Geschwindner had been in prison due to accusation of tax evasions seem to have somehow worn you out a little bit.

This has been a very tough experience for both me and my family. We've known Holger for 10 years now, you know.

>>>How has your personal preparation gone without him?

How I have now quite often said, I've tried really hard to practise as good as possible without Holger, and tried to get in shape for the NBA season and the European Championships. Naturally this has been pretty difficult without my coach, but I think that I've entered our national team in quite a good shape.

>>>Have you seriously considered to make an application in order to practise with him in prison?

Of course, I've been serious about it and didn't do it as a PR-gag. I would've liked to have done it not only for practise reasons, but just to show Holger: I've got your back!

>>>You're in the best league of the world one of the top five players - there can't be much left to improve, can there?

There surely is a lot left to improve. Holger has set up this famous "seven-steps-masterplan" and there's a lot left for me to do. I particularly wanna improve my ball handling and my ahtletic skills. The past NBA playoffs have shown that these are my weaknesses. There's a whole lot I can still improve!

>>>How do you see the opportunities for Germany during the upcoming European Championships? What are the strengths and the weaknesses of this team?

I've hardly practised with the squad, so I can't say much abotu that matter. But one thing is for sure: we can beat every team.

>>>Your first opponents will be Italy, Russia and Ukraina. A tough schedule?

The names speak for themselves. Italy has won the silver medal during the Olympics, they are, of course, a pretty tough matchup. And the other teams are surely gonna come up with four or five NBA players.

>>>How big is the pleasant anticipation for the European Chmapionsships for you personally?

I'm really looking forward to this tournament and I hope this will help me to forget about this playoff-embarresment in the NBA. I'm pretty sure this will be a fantastic summer playing the European Chmapionships.

>>>You're both on the National squad and on the Dallas Mavericks the leader. How do you handle the high expectations?

I'm used to it. In der NBA playoffs and in the national team all eyes are upon me. That's a situation which I can handly fairly well. Therefore I appreciate the upcoming tasks, but goal number one right now is to qualify for the World Championchips in Tokio. I haven't been to Asia yet, so that aalone is a reason for me to get there.

>>>Have you already overcome the playoff loss against Phoenix?

No. The playoffs have been very, very frustrating. We've been the better team but didn't play our best basketball. I personally haven't shown the performance, which I could've shown. So this will follow me this complete summer!

>>>Are the Dallas Mavericks the team with which you're gonna win a NBA Championship?

I think last year we had a really good chance, but we didn't play constantly good enough. We have to wait and see how the team is gonna be next year.

>>>You are the only German star in the NBA, why you?

When I was 16 years old, I was fortunate enough to meet Holger Geschwindner, otherwise I wouldn't be where I am today. Of course, you've got to be blessed with a certain talent in order to go to the NBA. But in addition you've gotta work hard on yourself and follow your goals very strictly. Luck is, of course, a part of it as well. - I had the complete trust from Don nelson, which was extremely important, especially during my rookie season.

>>>What do you considere the best experience during your career so far?

I went to the NBA in 1998, unfortunately Micheal Jordan had ended his career one year previously. When he then started his comeback and I had the opportunity to play against him, that was a great feeling and I'll never forget that in my life.

>>>Which American attributes have you formed a habbit of during your seven years in the NBA?

I've kept the German throughout all these years. I come from Germany and I don't intend to become an American. But there are ofcourse things like the needed looseness in the deciding situations which you can adopt from the Americans. But generally speaking, I've remained true to myself.

>>>Your salary is over 15 millions per year, nevertheless people think you economical and down-to-earth. How many cars has Dirk Nowitzki in his garage?

Exactly one. Attedly I've sold my old car and just bought a new van,s o I can take more friends with me when I make trips. But nobody believes me when I tell this story...

So I hope you enjoyed it cause it cost me a whole lot more time than I thought I would need...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default RE:Nowitzki Interview - "There's a lot I can still improve!"

Danke Arne.

Quote:
>>>Which American attributes have you formed a habbit of during your seven years in the NBA?

I've kept the German throughout all these years. I come from Germany and I don't intend to become an American. But there are ofcourse things like the needed looseness in the deciding situations which you can adopt from the Americans. But generally speaking, I've remained true to myself.
(...)
>>>Your salary is over 15 millions per year, nevertheless people think you economical and down-to-earth. How many cars has Dirk Nowitzki in his garage?

Exactly one. Attedly I've sold my old car and just bought a new van,s o I can take more friends with me when I make trips. But nobody believes me when I tell this story...
Richtig so, Dirk!
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 AM   #3
Winwall

Winwall is a jewel in the roughWinwall is a jewel in the roughWinwall is a jewel in the rough

Heute gehts los ... 1. Opfer: Weissrussland.
17:45 auf DSF ... nicht vergessen! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Winwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Is' ja gut Jungs, but let's keep it in English just because it's an American board.

By the way, so we have me, Winwall, kriD and Pongo who are Germans. Anybody else from Germany?

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Old 08-26-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Winwall
Heute gehts los ... 1. Opfer: Weissrussland.
17:45 auf DSF ... nicht vergessen! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
woah, thanks for reminding me of the game =)
Old 08-26-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

Yapp I'm from germany too. But I'm more of a reader than a writer on this board [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:57 AM   #7
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice
Default RE: Nowitzki Interview - "There's a lot I can still improve!"

I`m from germany too . Anyone who lives near würzburg like me? or near Hof?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
Arne
Golden Member

Nah, I'm not from Würzburg but I sometimes wish to have the opportunity to practise with Dirk, when he's there...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyways, in one hour the game is gonna start. Maybe I'm gonna post a lil' bit about Dirk's performance afterwards.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
Findelker

Findelker is on a distinguished road

I am from Germany too, but just like NExperience more a reader than a writer.

And Folterkammer I was born in Wertheim - so i guess thats pretty close to Würzburg [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Findelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Thank you, Arne for all the hard work.

This is just yet another excellent interview from Dirk. He's gotta' be one of the best all time at giving interviews. He comes off very friendly, eloquent, frank and surprisingly modest.

I particularly like his comments about how he's so embarrassed about his performance during the playoffs and how he's working hard this offseason to erase that memory. Also how he feels that he's far from being done improving his game. For all those who think that Nash & Fin leaving might just demotivate him... there's your answer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:49 AM   #11
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice

Another German here (living in Switzerland, however)
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

Wertheim Village [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #13
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all

from Germany
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:21 AM   #14
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I once travelled on Lufthansa transiting through Frankfurt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #15
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoy a good bratwurst.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #16
Arne
Golden Member

hilarious

Old 08-26-2005, 10:43 AM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for translating that interview, Arne. I had never heard the fact that Dirk only owns one vehicle (I wonder what kind of 'van' it is)...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #18
Winwall

Winwall is a jewel in the roughWinwall is a jewel in the roughWinwall is a jewel in the rough

I'm from the 'Sauerland'. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The game will start in 3 minutes ... I'm wondering if any improvement in Dirk's post-up game will be visible.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #19
Winwall

not a good start by germany .... :/
Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 AM   #20
Folterkammer

dirk isn`t really posting up . but had one great block and 1 or two steals in the first quarter . line is something like : 10 pts ,3 or 4 rebounds , 1 block , 1 steal in 10 minutes
Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #21
Arne
Golden Member

But Dirk is alright.

10 minutes played and Dirk has 10 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 block.

Dirk showed his running hookshot ones, nothing remarkeble besides that.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #22
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the article, good read
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #23
Don Filipe

Don Filipe is a jewel in the roughDon Filipe is a jewel in the roughDon Filipe is a jewel in the rough

I'm from Germany - Kiel City.

The German Team really doesn't play very good yet. Still they are leading. The guys didn't get used to each other....there's still time to the ec.
Don Filipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #24
Folterkammer

from what i saw dirk`s got faster hands than he used to have and he is still hitting these sweet three pointers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #25
Arne
Golden Member

Yeah, that's what I thought I saw as well, he's a bit quicker on his feed as well, I think.

At halftime he has 15 points in 14-16 minutes, 3-5 rebounds, 1 steal and two blocks!

Old 08-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #26
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thaks for the updates...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:56 AM   #27
Winwall

Dirk with the trey at the buzzer !! yes !!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 11:57 AM   #28
Winwall

what i didnt like: there were at least two possesions when dirk was posting up but decided to go for the fadeaway ...
Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 PM   #29
Winwall

DIRK FOR THREE AGAIN
i think he is 3/3 from 3-point land now
Old 08-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #30
Winwall

nowitzki again ... he's on fire
Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 PM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a website streaming the stats?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #32
Winwall

hmmm ... i don't think so.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #33
Arne
Golden Member

I don't think so. It's just a little chanel, that shows this.

Anyways, Dirk has had another threepointer and a SICK fadeaway. He's now got 22 points and had another steal. It's now something like 22/X(maybe 5)/2/2 in 23 minutes.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #34
Winwall

start of the 4th quarter ... dirk playing center
Old 08-26-2005, 12:29 PM   #35
Folterkammer

dirk is playing like a man going against kids - something like 5 blocks in 28 minutes until now
Old 08-26-2005, 12:29 PM   #36
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Winwall
start of the 4th quarter ... dirk playing center
Something I hope is not repeated very often in his role in the NBA this upcoming season.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:31 PM   #37
Winwall

highlight in the 4th quarter until now ... vicious putback dunk by dirk
Old 08-26-2005, 12:34 PM   #38
Winwall

another block by dirk ... thats 5 now
and a crazy layup during a fall ... amazing ...
Old 08-26-2005, 12:36 PM   #39
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Who are they playing?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:36 PM   #40
Winwall

btw ... this is one of the worst broadcasts i have seen ... super slowmotion replays while they are still playing ... absolutely no stats ... this is really a poor job by DSF

Tags
dirk