Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-12-2002, 11:31 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Pierce, LaFrentz, Andre Miller fill World Championship team
March 12, 2002

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Ticker) -- USA Basketball filled out its World Championship roster Tuesday, adding forwards Paul Pierce and Raef LaFrentz and guard Andre Miller.

To be coached by George Karl of the Milwaukee Bucks, the first seven members were named on November 1. The U.S. will seek the gold medal from August 29-September 8 in Indianapolis.

"We've added athleticism, defense, 3-point shooting, ball-handling," Karl said. "I love the versatility of our lineup, and I think this summer is going to be a lot of fun."

Pierce gives Karl another explosive option at small forward, joining a frontcourt that includes Michael Finley of the Dallas Mavericks and Shawn Marion of the Phoenix Suns.

An All-Star for the first time this season, Pierce ranks third in the NBA with 26.1 points per game and has the Boston Celtics on the verge of their first playoff appearance since 1995.

"I think I will provide some leadership to this team, even though I'm one of the younger guys," Pierce said. "I could score, rebound and defend. I'm going to do whatever is asked of me. I'm going to do what is needed to win."

LaFrentz offers the team some needed size up front, adding his 6-11 frame to a roster relying on 6-9 Antonio Davis of the Toronto Raptors and 6-11 Jermaine O'Neal of the Indiana Pacers.

"This team has so many great players. Rebounding, shot-blocking and playing great defense are probably what will be expected of me," LaFrentz said. "Since we have many great players on this team, I won't be pressed to score."

Dealt from Denver to Dallas last month, LaFrentz is second in the NBA with 2.98 blocks per game. He also is averaging 14.5 points and 7.3 rebounds.

Miller, the NBA leader with 10.6 assists per game, will back up New Jersey Nets star Jason Kidd at point guard. The Cleveland Cavaliers' leader is averaging 16.8 points per contest this season.

"I'm coming in off the bench to bring energy, distribute the ball and try to win a medal," Miller said.

If something happens to Kidd or Miller, Duke star Jason Williams would make the team. He was named an alternate, along with an unnamed collegiate player, on Tuesday.

The World Championship squad also includes Ray Allen of the Bucks and Reggie Miller of the Pacers.

The Americans have won three gold medals, three silver and three bronze in the event that is held every four years.

A team of college and pro players not in the NBA won bronze at the 1998 World Championship in Greece when NBA stars were excluded because of the lockout.

Old 03-12-2002, 11:32 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Miller, Pierce, LaFrentz added to US roster
By CHRIS SHERIDAN

AP Basketball Writer
March 12, 2002

Still looking for a few good big men, the United States added center Raef LaFrentz along with guard Andre Miller and forward Paul Pierce to the squad that will compete at the World Championships in Indianapolis this summer.

Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Michael Finley, Shawn Marion, Antonio Davis and Jermaine O'Neal were previously named to the team, to be coached by George Karl of the Milwaukee Bucks.

Two more roster spots, along with one alternate, remain to be filled by the USA Basketball selection committee.

Duke guard Jason Williams was given one of the alternate spots Tuesday, and a college player is likely to be chosen for the other.

LaFrentz, along with Davis and O'Neal, provides the United States three big bodies who can play center or power forward.

``Looking at the roster, it's pretty safe to say we'll select one more frontcourt player and possibly two,'' said NBA vice president Stu Jackson, the chairman of the selection committee.

The World Championships will be held Aug 29-Sept. 8 at Conseco Fieldhouse and the RCA Dome. Several NBA players will be competing for foreign teams in the 16-nation field, including six players from the Mavericks.

In addition to LaFrentz and Finley, Steve Nash will play for Canada, Dirk Nowitzki and Shawn Bradley for Germany and Wang Zhizhi for China.

China can play a front line of the 7-foot Wang, 7-foot-6 center Yao Ming -- expected to be a top lottery pick in this June's NBA draft -- and 6-foot-11 Menk Bateer of the Denver Nuggets.

Yugoslavia, the European champion, has a front line that includes NBA players Predrag Drobnjak and Vladimir Radmanovic of Seattle and Zeljko Rebraca and Ratko Varda of Detroit, along with shooting guard Peja Stojakovic of Sacramento, an NBA All-Star.

Other NBA players in the tournament include Pau Gasol of Spain, Todd MacCulloch and Jamaal Magliore of Canada, Hedo Turkoglu of Turkey and Andrei Kirilenko of Russia.

``It's not just one team. I think every country will be strong,'' LaFrentz said. ``The quality of international basketball has increased, and the USA is definitely a team with a target on its back.''

Jackson said the committee gave consideration to Antonio McDyess, a member of the gold medal-winning U.S. team at the Sydney Olympics, but said they wanted to monitor McDyess' progress as he returns from knee surgery that forced him to miss the first four months of the NBA season.

The most dominant big man in the world, Shaquille O'Neal, has expressed no interest in playing for U.S. national teams since the 1996 Olympics. Kevin Garnett, a member of the 2000 Olympic team, also has said he has no plans to play for the U.S. team this summer.

The best Yugoslavian center, Vlade Divac of Sacramento, does not plan to play at the World Championships.

Miller, leading the NBA in assists despite playing for the lowly Cleveland Cavaliers, was a member of a U.S. Goodwill Games' team comprised of NBA players that was taken to overtime by Brazil in the semifinals last summer.

Pierce, third in the NBA in scoring with an average of 26.1 points for the Boston Celtics, is the only member of the U.S. team currently listed among the top 10 in scoring.

``With Raef, the committee felt very strongly that his versatility as a frontcourt player was a dimension we needed on this basketball team. Raef is a proven shot blocker, and given the style of play we expect to play, he will certainly be an asset there as well,'' Jackson said.

The two remaining roster spots and the one remaining alternate spot will be filled by mid-May, Jackson said.

The alternates cannot be added to the active roster after the tournament begins.

The U.S. team is expected to begin training camp in mid-August and play at least two exhibition games before the World Championships begin.

This is the first time in the 50-year history of the event that it has been held in the United States. The Americans won the gold medal with a team of NBA players in 1994 in Toronto, then won a bronze in Athens in 1998 with a team of minor-league and overseas-based players.

Old 03-13-2002, 12:13 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

So, who do you think get the last 2 spots?

Frontcourt? Im thinking Antoine Walker possibly.

Backcourt? Im just hoping it's not Francis or Marbury.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:19 AM   #4
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

God, please don't let it be Antoine Walker.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:19 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

MFF- why not Francis?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:42 AM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Walker isn't my choice personally, I can just picture him being the frontcourt help that they were hinting too.

As for Francis, I just think he's a cocky SOB. That attitude gets my back up everytime. And while I no doubt think he has problems with migraines, I think he chooses when he wants to play and uses that for an excuse sometimes when he doesn't. I mean, he didn't have any problems all-star weekend. Next game he sat out for the Rockets.

With Kidd and Miller as the pg's, I don't think they pick another pg though. Add that Jason Williams is an alternative and well, I see them picking a player like Finley, someone who can play both sg/sf.

I like Desmond Mason.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:45 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

I agree with you on the character issues with Francis, but he is a solid player. Also..good points on the others currently on the roster.

Desmond Mason is intriguing.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:49 AM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I kinda hoped they'd let Jason Richardson be on the team. He's quickly becoming a star. I love his game, reminiscent to Finley.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:52 AM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I should have added that Francis is a good player, but I can't get past the character issues. That attitude NEEDS adjusting. Anyway, like I stated, I don't think they pick another pg.

As for front court help, I don't think they can overlook Elton Brand. That guy is solid.

What about the starting lineup?

C- LaFrentz
PF- O'Neal
SF- Marion
SG- Finley
PG- Kidd

Just my personal favorite. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2002, 12:58 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

I think that line-up might be able to pull off a few games.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2002, 01:11 AM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Jason Richardson, good call. Do you think they'd go with a rookie though?

Someone on the LMF board suggested Shane Battier. This is probably not the thread for it, but am I the only one not that impressed by him?

Another one also suggested that they go with a couple role players, to compliment the stars. They suggested Ben Wallace. Hard to argue, but I'd rather have Brand.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:04 AM   #12
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Wow,
those will be exciting championships. It seems like all the euro teams will have their best players participating. I'm not really overwhelmed by the US selection (especially the frontcourt). This could be the year where we see a US/ NBA team lose to international competition for the first time.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:08 AM   #13
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

amen brotha'