Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-15-2002, 03:48 AM   #1
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Taken from DB.com

Any talk about the Mavs being a hard team to figure out how to beat should be over by now. I've posted this before, and I'll say it again. THE BOOK IS OUT ON HOW TO BEAT THE MAVS. Either this team figures out how to counter it, or they go exactly NOWHERE in the playoffs.

I'm gonna "toot my horn" from my earlier post:

The formula for the opposing teams as I see it:

(1) Probably the most important rule on how to beat the Mavs. On defense, guard the 3 point line. Kinda of counter-intuitive since the conventional wisdom is "guard the basket". However, nothing gets the Mavs going like a sudden, pull-up 3 from Dirk, Nash, or Finley. Notice how the Lakers do this particularly well.

Tonight against the Blazers: 4-12 33.33% not too good.

(2) Again on defense, hound Steve Nash the entire game. If Nash can't get into his game, he'll get frustrated and start to whine to the refs. Nash is also the best at getting Dirk open shots. The more Finley handles the ball, the more turnovers you're likely to get. Notice how Stoudamire was all over Nash when the Blazers beat us.

Tonight against the Blazers: Nash gets chased to the bench, Finley has 4 turnovers.

(3) On offense, every single player must attack the basket RELENTLESSLY. If you can get a few flashy "in-your-face" dunks in, even better. The Mavs rarely respond favorably to this sort of intimidating play. Dirk will start to collect fouls and whine about physical play (most recently in the Heat game). Bradley is no longer a shot blocking factor. Notice how Rasheed Wallace, Darius Miles, Shaq, and most recently Mourning and Gatling all got these plays made.

Tonight against the Blazers: Wow, did the Blazers ever do this right. It got the Mavs totally out of their game. The Blazers love this intimidating style of play.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2002, 03:54 PM   #2
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

The Blazers had their best game of the season and the Mavs played poorly...it's no big deal.
Old 03-15-2002, 04:14 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

if the book is out on how to beat the mavs then..why have they only lost 19 games?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:13 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Bullshit. The Mavs are not exposed. They played a crappy game....one friggin game and you want to pigeon-hole them? Bad call.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:16 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

book on how to beat the mavs..the true book

score more points.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:53 PM   #6
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

The Mavs book on how to win:

run-gunnin'-fun
Old 03-15-2002, 11:37 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Up-tempo games definitely favor the Mavs....except for last night.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 12:09 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

up tempo games usually favor the mavs because they generally take good care of the ball and force a decent amount of turnovers..

by doing so, the mavs have alot of fast break opportunities but usually give up few.

obviously, that wasn't the case last night.
when the mavs turn the ball over like they did and when portland is on fire like they were, there's simply no hope.

the mavs have been dominated inside before..but hell, portland was hitting their jumpers last night...