Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs/Lakers Thoughts

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that the Mavs won! I absolutely can't stand the Lakers or Kobe. What a great feeling to know that Kobe was slowed significantly and the Lakers were beaten in every aspect of the game!

You know, I couldn't help but think as I watched this game how great Michael Jordan was. Everyone always wants to compare Kobe to Mike. While the similarities are obvious in some respects, Kobe is no Michael. Not only that, Michael Jordan actually made people like Phil Jackson likable. That's just unbelievable. That smug, arrogant jerk deserves every bit of grief that job brings him. And the sense of entitlement on that team is crazy. It's hard to remember many teams that honestly thought they deserved every single call the way the Lakers do. I must also confess that it feels good to know that we have a team in Dallas that doesn't feel the need to take a technical on a delay of game just to prove a point, or sit their starters so they can smile like their crap doesn't stink even though their team is getting beat and in the process of falling to 1-5 on a road trip.

I do feel like Dallas doesn't necessarily match up well against the Lakers. Phil always does a good job of getting his team to play aggressive man to man defense that seems to bother the Mavs at times. Kobe is also the ultimate match-up problem, tonight not withstanding. I thought Phil did a good job of going small to try to take away the Mavs obvious interior advantage. It meant that a scrub like Brian Cook went off against the Mavs (Doesn't a Laker scrub always go off against Dallas?), but Dallas responded well.

I was thrilled to see the Mavs begin the game with the mindset they did, and I wasn't at all surprised by it. They did a great job of building a lead, but unfortunately, they feel into some of their bad habits and let everything get away from them. I know I wasn't the only one thinking, "Here we go again..." when the Lakers took the lead. In fact, I thought the difference in the game was how the Mavs responded during that time. They got the lead right back and pushed it up to double digits in a pretty impressive manner.

Game balls tonight go to Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard. Those guys wouldn't let the team lose.

I thought the centers played a pretty good game, with the exception of letting Brian Cook get way too many open jumpers. I believe that was part of the game-plan though because the first, second, and third priority was to take away the drive and be a willing help defender. I thought Diop and Damp did that for the most part.

Erick Dampier, in particular, played another good game. I would actually say that he played a great game, but he really struggled at the free throw line tonight. Had he just converted some more of his free throws, he would have finished with another double double.

Dirk had about the quietest 26-12 that I can remember. I mean, that's a dominant stat line, but I don't remember Dirk standing out as being dominant in this game on offense. He did a good job of knocking down the free throws he shot, and he did an excellent job of helping the Mavs to control the boards by a significant margin. He also showed more of his leadership tonight by cheering on his teammates and constantly encouraging them.

Keith Van Horn played a very good game too. Lately, Van Horn has the look of a great role player. He comes off the bench and does his job. I've been very pleased with his effort on the defensive side of the ball and in his rebounding. Tonight, he worked himself to a couple of put-backs just by getting position for an offensive rebound.

Josh Howard, I thought, was actually the best player on the floor for the Mavs tonight. He took the challenge of guarding Kobe for much of the night, and he showed a lot of guts in the way he played. I wish he could have hit some more of his free throws, but his offensive game was solid. He had a very efficient 22-10-4 night. I was thrilled with the way he personally responded when the Lakers took the lead in the third quarter. You may remember that Dirk was actually taken out of the game at that point, and Josh proceeded to take over the game by getting inside for some easy baskets and almost willing the Mavs to regain the lead. This game just sort of stands out to me in his development. I'm interested to see how he builds on it...

Adrian Griffin continues to do his thing. There is nothing flashy about his game, and his minutes seem to be going more and more to Stackhouse at times, but Griff plays his role well. I thought Adrian was one of the reasons the team started the game so well, and i thought he was also one of the reason why it took Kobe so long to find his offensive rhythm. He was pretty physical and did a good job of executing the game plan and trying to deny Kobe the basketball.

There's been a Marquis Daniels sighting. Quis finally got some time in the fourth quarter and did several good things in a row. After that he didn't do much good at all. He over-dribbled, committed a couple of turnovers, and seemed to force a little much. Actually, it kind of reminiscent of last season after he fell out of the rotation. When he got into the game, he forced things. I think that's understandable in a lot of ways, but he needs to follow that old cliche and just "let the game come to him".

Jerry Stackhouse, I thought, made a positive overall impression on this game. By the way, did anyone notice that the Mavs somewhere around 19-3 now in the games that Stack plays. He brings a lot of toughness and those intangibles that this team needs. Jerry did get himself into some trouble at times too by forcing shots and over-dribbling, but the good outweighed the bad. He also seemed to do a good job of coming back and helping out on the boards. I like to see that.

Devin Harris was another player who played a good game. I firmly believe that Devin is the best option for this team when they are facing more of a pressure defense. I know that Devin can get to playing too fast at times, but he's been much more under control this year, and he just seems to do a much better job of running this team and getting them into their offensive sets. He also did a good job of attacking the rim when there was nothing else available. You had to be impressed by his court awareness and some of the passes he made tonight too! I would almost bet you that Devin had the best +/- numbers on the team tonight. It seemed like he was on the floor when the team built their big lead in the first half, and he was on the floor when they made their second half run too.

Jason Terry didn't do much tonight. He didn't really hurt the team or anything, but he didn't shoot as well as usual, and he's the one guy who has struggled more against the Lakers, it seems. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I don't think he's feels that comfortable when he's forced to bring the ball up against pressure.

You know what stands out to me the most about this game though was the pride and resilience of this team. They really wanted to make sure that this one went into the win column and they made sure it did. It wasn't always easy along the way, but they got the job done. And the streak rolls on...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I know Daniels didn't do much today, and he did have a couple of turnovers before he was taken out in the fourth. But... his assist to Dampier on the dunk and his jumper at the beginning of the fourth helped push the lead out beyond double digits. The Lakers never really recovered after that.

Great recap DDH.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Josh was so the Man tonight. I was shaking my head in the 3rd quarter after we blew the lead, thinking that Kobe was gonna go off and we'd end up losing, but Howard stepped up and saved our ass.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Kobe only made 5 shots tonight. That ties his season LOW for shots made in a game. And the other game where Kobe only made 5 shots was when he only played 26 minutes (42 tonight).

Absolutely dominating defensive job on Kobe.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I especially loved that kobe got shut down and Phil's smug ass had to walk off our court a total loser.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Phil Jackson, Larry Brown... two arrogant, overrated sons of bitches that I'm all too happy to see fail.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #7
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

Game ball to Dirk? 5-22 does not warrant a game ball.

Last edited by Day1MavsFan; 02-08-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day1MavsFan
Dirk was 8 of 16. KOBE was 5 of 22.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
lol, I noticed that diagram too. Dirk was his usual effecient self tonight. Kobe got shut the f*ck down!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
thank you.

thank goodness superman decided not to show tonight...I feel sorry for whoever LA plays next.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kobe only made 5 shots tonight. That ties his season LOW for shots made in a game. And the other game where Kobe only made 5 shots was when he only played 26 minutes (42 tonight).

Absolutely dominating defensive job on Kobe.
well you're just full of good stuff tonight...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:50 AM   #12
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Kobe: Dirk's a phenom
Bryant says 7-footer's unique outside touch gives him shot at MVP

12:56 AM CST on Wednesday, February 8, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

It takes one to know one. And if anybody should know an elite-level player, it's one who has scored 81 and 62 points in games this season.

In Kobe Bryant's estimation, Dirk Nowitzki needs to take a back seat to nobody when it comes to his NBA reputation and being an MVP candidate.

"How could he not be?" Bryant said. "He's a phenomenal player, and he does it on a consistent level. He's probably the only 7-footer who can stroke it from the outside like he does."

In a bygone era, 7-footers who made a living beyond the 3-point line were known as soft and, sometimes, by even less-flattering terms.

But Nowitzki has earned the right to be regarded as a unique talent rather than a novelty, Bryant said. Having Don Nelson for his first NBA coach didn't hurt.

"Maybe it was Nellie who started extending the defenses with those big guys," Bryant said. "Now, you got a lot of gaps in the defense when you got a big guy out there who can shoot it like that. Dirk's been terrific."
Old 02-08-2006, 06:01 AM   #13
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Updated: Feb. 8, 2006, 3:02 AM ETSPECIAL MIDWEEK EDITION Dozen matter: Mavs risingBy Marc Stein
ESPN.com

DALLAS -- Five days before Christmas, Kobe Bryant had 62 points in three quarters for the Dallas Mavericks.
After Tuesday's night's rematch, Bryant had only advice for the Mavs.

"Screw 'em," Kobe said.

"If I'm Dirk or Avery," he continued, "I don't even listen to that stuff."

That stuff is the annual skepticism, derision and punking that specifically greeted these Mavs, this term, as soon as Bryant uncorked those 62 points on Dec. 20.

Yet when he isn't going for 62 or 81 or whatever his offensive ceiling is, Bryant is also a bit of an expert at tuning out the naysayers. So maybe that's why Kobe -- even though dissing Dallas is a virtual Laker tradition with Phil Jackson in charge -- felt compelled to offer a rare bit of encouragement to his conquerors after a gamelong Mavericks swarm forced the ball out of his hands, gradually sapped the energy from his legs and played an undeniable role in a 5-for-22 shooting struggle that left No. 8 with just 24 points in the Los Angeles Lakers' 102-87 defeat.

It turned out to be a pretty rich Tuesday for Mark Cuban and his Mavericks. They got off the floor with Bryant scoring four points fewer than Brian Cook, after first finding out during the halftime break that Detroit had dropped even closer to the NBA surface with its third loss in five games -- in Atlanta! -- to make that Power Rankings guy look pretty foolish.

Chances are there won't be a national rush of praise for the Mavericks even after they reasonably smothered Bryant and stretched the longest win streak in the league to 12, especially since the hosts blew an early 20-point lead and actually had to win the game twice. Yet Bryant's counsel is to ignore the reaction regardless. Negative or even positive.

"Who cares?" Kobe said. "This team, you can tell, makes a much more concerted effort to play defense, and I think that starts with [coach] Avery Johnson. It's clear they have a strategy that everybody's in tune with. That's the big difference from the [Dallas] teams in the past. Until the playoffs, they shouldn't be wasting time even thinking about [national perception]."

Truth is, they aren't. Even as the Mavericks rack up numbers this franchise has never seen -- holding all 12 foes during this unbeaten run under 100 points to establish a club record -- they're obsessed down here with doing these things in the playoffs for once. They don't want bouquets in February. Not even on Valentine's Day and not even from Bryant.

The Mavericks were obviously motivated here to respond to their December humiliation, but they won't dwell on it because Johnson won't let them. After every big win, he's the first to remind them that they've achieved nothing. Johnson also knows that, for all his commitment to defensive improvement on the practice court and in the film room, Dallas has actually been able to establish its own 65-win pace because of its offense.

Better shot selection and a higher shooting percentage have reduced the number of possessions opponents get. The Mavs, under Don Nelson, were instructed to take the first open shot they could find, leaving their defense on the field far too often (for those of you who like you American football analogies). These Mavs still score 100, but without opening themselves up for so much punishment. It also doesn't hurt that their best athletes (Josh Howard, Devin Harris and Marquis Daniels) have seized bigger roles to supplement some serious bench firepower (Jerry Stackhouse and Keith Van Horn) and the surprise newcomers (DeSagana Diop and Adrian Griffin) who provide dirty work and defensive quality.

These Mavericks also have a coach who mentions "hard fouls" so often in his media sessions that you'd think it was a separate category in the box score. You still don't know some nights if Johnson's players are prepared to dole them out -- like, say, five nights before Christmas -- but perhaps Bryant isn't only one in this league in the midst of a transformation.

Kobe's popularity has rebounded dramatically in the weeks since Sixty-Two and especially Eighty-One, to the point that even he admitted surprise during his Dallas stop with how high his All-Star vote totals were. But maybe it's time to look at the other side. The Mavericks, after all, haven't exactly folded since their Dec. 20 surrender.

"You can't change your reputation in the regular season," said Dirk Nowitzki, unmoved by Dallas' own gaudy numbers, as in 38-10.

"It just doesn't happen. We could win the next 40 games or whatever's left [in the regular season] and our reputation probably still wouldn't change. We know we have to do this in the playoffs."
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #14
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day1MavsFan
OOPS! I guess I'm just tired of watching Dirk jack up these silly shots lately, so I took the line for what it said, even though I watched all but the first quarter. When I read it, I did hesitate for a second, expecting something more like 8-20, but then assumed it was right.

My bad. Give him a ball.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

game ball to Kobe Bryant, imo, for not scoring 60 points.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #16
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Do the Spurs play the Lakers next? I'd love for them to have to face a Kobe out for blood.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #17
Jet Terry

Jet Terry will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Do the Spurs play the Lakers next? I'd love for them to have to face a Kobe out for blood.
You gotta be kidding me. The spurs would own la. They have no trouble with the lakers. Only Dallas seems to have trouble with them.
Jet Terry is offline   Reply With Quote