Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spelling Lessons

I don't want to seem pretentious with this. I just thought, perhaps, every once and a while there might be a specific word that needs to be spelled the correct way in hopes of curbing the embarrassing mis-spelling of that word. This could apply to a single poster or a group of posters. It's understandable to accidentally mis-spell a word here and there, that's not what this thread is for. This is for a word that is being constantly mis-spelled post after post after psot (see there, I just mis-spelled post but that wouldn't be a candidate because obviously I know how to spell it from the prior two entries).
Old 03-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The first word is maybe.

It is NOT spelled M-A-B-E-Y, but spelled M-A-Y-B-E.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-04-2006 at 11:25 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

can we get a lesson on then/than and there/their/they're?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

your = possession

you're = you are

Unfortunately, this is one of my most common typos.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
can we get a lesson on then/than and there/their/they're?
Well that's a great question and a gray area exists whether or not that is a Spelling problem or a Dictionary issue. The actual truth probably lies somewhere in-between.

I think it is warranted, however. I don't have time right now, but will dissect that later as a public service.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

this is a forum, not a college paper. I really don't caer (haha) if I mis-spell a word or too (haha). I am in too big a hurry to do spell check.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

u shutup u2. i liek Micheal Finely and nic Van Excel.

I am sure I will provide a purposeful contribution to this thread eventually.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

If in doubt:

We are going to their house to watch the game.
Their house is over there.
They're not going to like it when I use their restroom.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
If in doubt:

We are going to their house to watch the game.
Their house is over there.
They're not going to like it when I use their restroom.
yeah, cause I'm gonna clog that sh*t up.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

How many times have you heard the Mavs are going to "loose" this game?
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookit
How many times have you heard the Mavs are going to "loose" this game?
yeah, it's like a knot and they have to loosen it up a bit.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

nowitski
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Resign, when the word the person wants is re-sign.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

It's ridiculous, not rediculous.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
It's ridiculous, not rediculous.
...or redirkulous.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #16
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
...or redirkulous.
thats kalled a plaa on werds. (tee hee)
Old 03-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
The first word is the word maybe.

It is NOT spelled M-A-B-E-Y, but spelled M-A-Y-B-E.

OMG thank you....that has been driving me freaking nuts.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Hey U2....is it a gray area or a grey area?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Okay, it's lunchtime... or otherwise known as SPELLING TIME!!!!
First let me define the terms, then we will see examples in a sentence for more explanation:

then
adv.

1. At that time: I was still in school then. Come at noon; I'll be ready then.
2. Next in time, space, or order; immediately afterward: watched the late movie and then went to bed.
3. In addition; moreover; besides: It costs $20, and then there's the sales tax to pay.
4. Used after but to qualify or balance a preceding statement: The star was nervous, but then who isn't on the first night of a new play.
5. In that case; accordingly: If traffic is heavy, then allow extra time.
6. As a consequence; therefore: The case, then, is closed.

than

1. Used after a comparative adjective or adverb to introduce the second element or clause of an unequal comparison: She is a better athlete than I.
2. Used to introduce the second element after certain words indicating difference: He draws quite differently than she does.
3. When. Used especially after hardly and scarcely: I had scarcely walked in the door than the commotion started.

Examples of proper use:
then - I cried when the Mavericks lost and then I got another Beer.
than - Jason Terry shoots the 3 point shot better than Antoine Walker.

there/their/they're -

there
adv.
1. At or in that place: sit over there.
2. To, into, or toward that place: wouldn't go there again.
3. At that stage, moment, or point: Stop there before you make any more mistakes.
4. In that matter: I can't agree with him there.

pron.
1. Used to introduce a clause or sentence: There are numerous items. There must be another exit.
2. Used to indicate an unspecified person in direct address: Hello there.

adj.
1. Used especially for emphasis after the demonstrative pronoun that or those, or after a noun modified by the demonstrative adjective that or those: That person there ought to know the directions to town.
2. Nonstandard. Used for emphasis between a demonstrative adjective meaning “that” or “those” and a noun: No one is sitting at that there table. Them there beans ought to be picked.

n.
That place or point: stopped and went on from there.

interj.
Used to express feelings such as relief, satisfaction, sympathy, or anger: There, now I can have some peace!

their -
adj. The possessive form of they.

1. Used as a modifier before a noun: their accomplishments; their home town.
2. Usage Problem. His, her, or its: “It is fatal for anyone who writes to think of their sex” (Virginia Woolf). See Usage Note at he1. See Usage Note at they.

they're -

Contraction of they are.

Examples of proper use:

there - Terry, pass the ball to Dirk over there.
their - Maverick fans love their team.
they're - If the Mavericks are going to beat the Spurs they're going to have to play defense for all 4 quarters.

This activity reminded me of something I meant to point out in the original post above: If you are unsure of the correct spelling or use of a particular word.... you can always visit Dictionary.com to see if you can get the answer. I bet it would "fix" 99% of the spelling errors on this board. And props to kg for bringing up the next word that was on my list of lessons.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-03-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #20
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Hey U2....is it a gray area or a grey area?
Either form of the word is acceptable. Officially, grey is a variant of gray. Good question though, and positive rep to you for providing that insightful question.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-03-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #21
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

U2, often I am unsure whether to use "different from" or "different than," as in: The Mavs are different from/than the Spurs. How do you recommend I solve this conundrum?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #22
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
U2, often I am unsure whether to use "different from" or "different than," as in: The Mavs are different from/than the Spurs. How do you recommend I solve this conundrum?
That wouldn't really fall into a "spelling lesson" type realm. Unlike the their/they're/there, and the than/then question posed earlier, the two words sound and are spelled in no similar way. Therefore a new thread would be required to answer this question.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #23
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

This one is a bit of a grey/gray area:

The term whatsoever:

It is spelled W-H-A-T-S-O-E-V-E-R and most certainly not O-N-C-E-S-O-E-V-E-R

Take a look at this recent post and we will replace the "misspelled" word with the correct word and see if it makes a difference:

"It wasn't a bite. I saw no teeth oncesoever. From my sight it looked as if Horry was trying to get untangled with Stackhouse and Stack wasn't letting ago but soon as Horry did his little bite impersonation that's when Stack let go."

That just doesn't sound right does it? Let's try this sequence of words instead:

"It wasn't a bite. I saw no teeth whatsoever. From my sight it looked as if Horry was trying to get untangled with Stackhouse and Stack wasn't letting ago but as (Editor's note: I added as to this sentence so it could be understood by all) soon as Horry did his little bite impersonation that's when Stack let go."

There, that is much better.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-03-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #24
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
This one is a bit of a grey/gray area:

The term whatsoever:

It is spelled W-H-A-T-S-O-E-V-E-R and most certainly not O-N-C-E-S-O-E-V-E-R
if someone spells it oncesoever, they are absolutely a dumb ass.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #25
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

It is "Judgment"...not "Judgement"

(GB & colonies thing)

Last edited by orangedays; 03-03-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #26
orangedays
Platinum Member

Grey/gray area:

It is "regardless" - not "irregardless"
Old 03-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
That wouldn't really fall into a "spelling lesson" type realm. Unlike the their/they're/there, and the than/then question posed earlier, the two words sound and are spelled in no similar way. Therefore a new thread would be required to answer this question.
One might consider the others to be usage questions as well.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #28
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The mavs/dirk/insert player name here should try and win/do something

try to...
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #29
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
One might consider the others to be usage questions as well.
Yes...
True....

But I'm giving the poster(s) in question the benefit of the doubt and asuming they just misspelled the word.

And yes, I know what happens when you assume.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-03-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #30
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

you make an ASS OUT OF YOU AND ME< HHHAAAAA
Old 03-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #31
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the betterment of the team.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #32
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is "Judgment"...not "Judgement"

(GB & colonies thing)

Hmmm...are you sure "judgement" is not an alternative spelling?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 03-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #33
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

one i can't stand, even though it's not a spelling problem, is:

"i could care less" ....... no you "couldn't care less" - if you could care less, then do so. assuming of course, that you're trying to imply you're not bothered by the situation at hand - which is generally the case.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #34
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Hmmm...are you sure "judgement" is not an alternative spelling?
I'm glad you brought that up mary

"Judgement" is indeed an alternative spelling but it is associated with the United Kingdom and its colonies (where "judgment" is the accepted American English spelling). Technically, if someone were to spell the word "judgement" with an "e", then they should also use "organi_s_ation", "colo_u_r", and "defen_c_e" (for consistency's sake).
Old 03-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #35
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
I'm glad you brought that up mary

"Judgement" is indeed an alternative spelling but it is associated with the United Kingdom and its colonies (where "judgment" is the accepted American English spelling). Technically, if someone were to spell the word "judgement" with an "e", then they should also use "organi_s_ation", "colo_u_r", and "defen_c_e" (for consistency's sake).
Thanks for clearing that up...in that case I'm quite sure I've been misspelling it.

That reminds me of an Eddie Izzard joke.

Why do the English pronounce the word "herbs" like "h-e-r-b-s", while Americans say "e-r-b-s"?

Because it has a ****ing "H" in it!

Sorry, that was probably only funny to me.

My apologies to U2 for getting sidetracked in this very serious spelling lesson.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-04-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #36
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

"Favorite" or "favourite"?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #37
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Thanks for clearing that up...in that case I'm quite sure I've been misspelling it.

That reminds me of an Eddie Izzard joke.

Why do the English pronounce the word "herbs" like "h-e-r-b-s", while Americans say "e-r-b-s"?

Because it has a ****ing "H" in it!

Sorry, that was probably only funny to me.

My apologies to U2 for getting sidetracked in this very serious spelling lesson.
I can not BELIEVE that mary cussed! what's the world coming to?

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-04-2006 at 05:16 PM.
ocelot_ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #38
mary
Troll Hunter

Oh well, the edited version is not nearly as funny.

I apologize. I was doing it for a greater cause.

Last edited by mary; 03-04-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #39
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

my favorite from last year.

Micaheal Finely made us loose this game.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #40
Drbio
Banned

I'm wishing that murph knew how to spell "motto", after all if you are going to post three year old news in your signature, it should at least be spelled correctly.