Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-19-2006, 01:46 AM   #1
Pj5

Pj5 will become famous soon enough
Default JET's role next year

There are posters who think that Devin Harris should start and that Jason Terry should come off the bench next year. No offense.. I got much love for fellow Mavs fans but honestly, I just don't know what makes you people think that way. Yes we know that Harris is the Mavs future point guard.. but doesn't his frailty and lack of experience concern you!? Jason Terry has hit big shot after big shot and had big game after big game for the Mavs this year so if he resigns with the Mavs, the only things I see Avery doing is A)Starting him as a 2 guard with Devin starting at the 1. or B)Starting him as a PG and having Devin as his back up. Of course.. with the way MARQUIS DANIELS is playing at the moment, I have a gut feeling that Avery will go with option B.

I love Devin's game, I love the fact that he's a great penetrator and that he dishes the ball well, but I just don't think he's ready yet.. that's why I will keep praying that the Mavs will re-sign Jet this off season. I DO THINK that Devin will be a great player though.. had he been more durable, he would have prolly been a candidate for most improved player this season.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:18 AM   #2
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Harris needs to get stronger and beefier so he can take the hits and the physicality of the nba. Parker is the type of player he should be striving to play like but is far from that level.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:30 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Jet's role could just as easily be putting up threes for any other team willing to pony up 7-8 mill a year over 4 years. That is too much coin here.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:23 AM   #4
EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura aboutEastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura about

As a guess, I'd say ask the team that signs him.

I'm not sure we keep him.
EastDallasCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

You guys are crazy. Mavs will sign him. Avery loves the guy's toughness and you need a guy who can hit big shots. He's not going anywhere.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Pj, I love Jet as much as any Mavs fan, but running the point requires dribble penetration. It's the bread and butter of the point guard position. Devin is a PHENOMINAL penetrator. Jet is mediocre in this area. Devin has all the tools to be as good as Tony Parker, maybe better. Honestly, what does Tony Parker do that Devin Harris can't do? I love what Jet brings to the table very, very much. But really, could he not still do exactly what he does now as a sixth man? Devin can do wonders for our offense; we've seen it in stretches here and there throughout the season.

The question of whether he's ready to start or not is a valid one. I certainly didn't think he was ready at all last year. But I think the offense has looked just fine with him running things this season. He averages almost the same amount of assists per game as Jet does in about ten minutes less. So as far as running the point goes, I think we gain something. And I also think he's gotten quite a bit better about controlling the ball when he gets bumped.

I ask you, why do you think he's not ready, or rather, what makes you think he won't be ready next year?

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-19-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Jet's role could just as easily be putting up threes for any other team willing to pony up 7-8 mill a year over 4 years. That is too much coin here.
why? we are never going to be under the salary cap. So, what does it matter if he gets paid 7 million a year? If Cubes and crew decide to get rid of him, they will have no problem trading him...us being over the salary cap has had no negative effects since it was implemented. That is the reason I could care less what Dampier is making and just watch his positive contributions on the court. Sure, in the grand scheme of things, he is overpaid, but I personally don't give a damn, because he makes the Mavs better.

Anyway, I would keep Terry around as long as he is helping the team like he is now. There is no doubt in my mind that he has been the 2nd best player on the team with the 2nd best record in the league. Not to mention that he sounds like a pretty good locker room guy, and he is great around the fans. I don't understand why anyone would not want him on the team.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."

Last edited by The Crippler; 03-19-2006 at 09:40 AM.
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Mavfan + Ravenfan is on a distinguished road

I think if harris doesn't have at least a good playoff run and terry is resigned, then I think terry is next year's starter. But that doesn't mean harris can't dethrone him over the next season
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect
I opened it, seen the god holdin his kids
Photogenic, tears just burst out my wig

AKA-wu banga at db.com
AKA-mavsravensfanatic at scout.com
Mavfan + Ravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If Cubes let's another talent go for nothing I'll start questioning whether he's willing to forego a championship so that he can be in the underdog role.

Right now there are two players on this team that get game-planned, dirk and jason..To think after all of the improvement that AJ has made in Jason to let him go is stupid.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #10
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

agreed, terry needs to stay. i say a 3 year deal around 5 mil a year
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

the thing is, terry's not going to jump ship to play for some lottery bound team where he can be "the man" again, like in atlanta. i think he loves the organization and playing here. i think he'll be back if we make any kind of a good offer
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #12
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

You know I would love to think that too but you can count all the times players take less than the most money they can get without taking off your shoes. Unless only atlanta offers him more money we will have to match anything anyone offers IF we want to keep him.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
agreed, terry needs to stay. i say a 3 year deal around 5 mil a year
Geez dude.. I think he makes 6-8 per year now. He's going to get at least 7m/year.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

terry will stay, because he get the $ that KVH won't be getting
Old 03-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Terry will stay, and he'll make $7-8mm per for 4-5 years.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder what Seattle's cap situation is like? I'm sure they would love to have him.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Wonder what Seattle's cap situation is like? I'm sure they would love to have him.
They don't have the room to offer him more than Dallas.

EDIT: What I also intended to say was, it doesn't appear that they'll have more than the MLE to offer him as a free agent.

Last edited by kg_veteran; 03-20-2006 at 11:45 AM.
kg_veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #18
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

It will be interesting to see just how much Terry likes Avery and the Mavs organization.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #19
dude1394
Guru

Or vice versa he will be thinking.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Or vice versa he will be thinking.
Ha! Straight out of Jerry Maguire...
Old 03-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #21
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I don't see JET here next season. If the pricetag is 7-8 million than I definately don't see him staying here. He's a great asset but is he what we need backing up our 2 or 1? He's not a point that's for sure and i'd like to see us get a penetrator in here at the 2 spot. Its hard to let JET walk because of how great of a shooter he is. He may be our most clutch shooter on this team. I just don't see how he fits. 7-8 million for a reserve player? That's insane. Especially with Stackhouse making similiar.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I don't see JET here next season. If the pricetag is 7-8 million than I definately don't see him staying here. He's a great asset but is he what we need backing up our 2 or 1? He's not a point that's for sure and i'd like to see us get a penetrator in here at the 2 spot. Its hard to let JET walk because of how great of a shooter he is. He may be our most clutch shooter on this team. I just don't see how he fits. 7-8 million for a reserve player? That's insane. Especially with Stackhouse making similiar.
You're assuming Terry will be immediately benched.

Who's the starting 2 on this team?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #23
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Akin to KG's point, do you really believe Devin is ready to take the helm as starting PG? If Jet's gone, forget who starts at the 2 for a second (we have some options there with Q, Stack, even Griff)...who will we have as the starting 1? I stick by my original post (in the "How much do we pay Terry?" thread) that it will cost about $30-36mm over four years to keep Jet on board - that's the price tag and I think Cubes will gladly pay it unless a legitimate PG falls into our lap. I can't think of any better candidates who will be available this off-season for around the same money (possibly Sam Cassell but that's a topic for a different thread).

Last edited by orangedays; 03-20-2006 at 02:35 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #24
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran

This is my question. Terry is small for a 2 and cannot play defense. He get's an occasional steal, but most of the time he is nonexistent defensively. The Nets game shows you what happens to his value when he isn't scoring. I'll bet flies bother Jason Kidd more than Terry did.

Daniels is more likely a starter at 2, but he really doesn't have the range. He is a great 1st guard off the bench because of his ability to pass. I just don't see him as a starter on this team.

Stack will never start again.

I like Griffin starting at 2, but it only seems to work when Josh is in the lineup.

I think Terry will sign, but will be on the trading block along with Daniels. Between the two of them, whoever brings the best defender in return is gone.

Last edited by jacktruth; 03-20-2006 at 02:39 PM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #25
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
Stack will never start again.
...unless we find some way to trade him to the Knicks for expiring contracts.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #26
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

jacktruth - I don't know that I agree with your characterization of Terry's defense, but my point re: the lack of a definite starting 2 is that the Mavs have plenty of backcourt minutes to go around.

I don't agree with orangedays in that I think that Harris is ready to take over as starting PG, but Harris is still injury prone, and so are Daniels and Stackhouse.

I see no reason why Terry can't get 30 mpg next year even with Harris starting -- regardless of whether Terry starts or comes off the bench.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #27
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't agree with orangedays in that I think that Harris is ready to take over as starting PG, but Harris is still injury prone, and so are Daniels and Stackhouse.
I'd like to see Harris start as much as anyone else on this board (Devinharriswillstart comes to mind), but we will have to disagree over his readiness. My point was more about the lack of other options at PG in the absence of Terry - Harris is indeed injury prone, as is Q (our emergency fall-back plan). DA I'm only comfortable with getting about 5 min. a game, if that, next season (unless there's some sort of specific defensive assignment). Jet, IMO, is a fairly valuable asset - though he may not be perfectly suited for our needs, I think what he does bring to the table makes him worth keeping on board.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #28
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

Marquis? I'm not sure where he stands with AJ right now but he was getting 30+ minutes per game before he went down with an injury and the team was playing good ball. He has absolutely no range whatsover but i've seen Josh make strides in a offseason with his range and I think Daniels could possibly do the same. But if it comes down to Marquis or JET starting the 2 spot for me i'd take Marquis over him in a heartbeat. Neither are 2's IMO but i'll take the bigger guy and the better defender over the better shooter.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote