Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-21-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Mavs employ get-tough policy

Mavs employ get-tough policy

Mavs say if you take the ball inside, be prepared to get fouled, and hard

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Avery Johnson is a big believer in the Golden Rule, especially when it involves hard fouls at playoff time.

Do unto others ... right?

And Johnson said Thursday that hard fouls are going to be standard issue in the first-round series against Memphis.

"They don't give you anything easy, which is the way it should be," Johnson said. "I don't want to give up any easy layups, either."

The Mavericks know what that means. Dirk Nowitzki is going to get whacked early and often. And the Grizzlies can expect the same treatment for Pau Gasol – and anybody else who ventures into the paint with an eye on the rim.

"Any great player, you got to make sure they feel it – the same way everybody makes Dirk feel it," Johnson said. "When he drives, he gets fouled hard. Good, clean, hard fouls are going to be a part of this series."

Which brings us to Erick Dampier, who during the second half of the season has been the Mavericks' best player when it comes to dishing out punishment by way of memorable fouls. He freely admits it will be a strategy the Mavericks employ.

Asked if he would try to hack Gasol in half, Dampier said:

"Not necessarily. But if we're going to foul him, we foul him hard. I just try to be physical with him. If he goes to the basket, contest the shot."

This attitude is not confined to Gasol, by the way.

"We definitely don't want them to get a layup," Dampier said. "If it's a point guard and he's driving the lane and we think we should foul him, we're going to foul him and foul him hard."

Big days for Harris: Devin Harris will practice today, and it's the first of two workouts that could determine how much he plays in the first-round series, if at all.

"I need to see something," Johnson said of Harris. "I need to see him get through practice. When the contact part of practice comes along, he has to be able to perform, and then recover. Then we'll practice again Saturday, and hopefully, he'll be able to get through that practice. Then we'll see where he is."

Two rings? Rawle Marshall and Pavel Podkolzin were the two players left off the playoff roster that had to be submitted Thursday.

As a consolation prize, both get to play Saturday for Fort Worth in the NBA Developmental League championship game.

In theory, each player could win two rings this season. Both players will rejoin the Mavericks after Saturday's game.

Briefly: If you can name the two Mavericks who didn't start a game this season, you need to spend more time with the family. Keith Van Horn (53 games) and Podkolzin (one game) were the only Mavericks who didn't get at least one start. Marshall got nine. "Which was nine more than I expected," the rookie said.

The Mavericks watched film Thursday. They will have a lengthy practice session today but will ease off Saturday, Johnson said. "Fresh minds and fresh bodies is one of the more effective ways to play in the playoffs," he said. "This year, as opposed to last year, we don't have to overhaul a lot of things."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't remember being more excited about entering the playoffs. This is a championship caliber team and I like the message being sent before we paly about the hard fouls.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Attitude is everything................
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Swagger in.....strut out.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

we're championship calibur with everyone healthy... i dont want regrets or what-ifs about this postseason. EVERYONE GET HEALTHY AND STAY HEALTHY
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote