Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all
Default Howard's back has Mavs concerned

oh boy..

------------

Howard's back has Mavs concerned

Guard says his back still feels tight, but he plans to play Sunday

09:32 PM CDT on Friday, April 21, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

As he lay on a table getting kneaded by the hands and elbows of massage therapist Gary Fineske, Josh Howard grimaced through a particularly deep dig into the small of his back.

This was not the kind of massage that you get while enjoying the good life.

"It's not the good life when it hurts," he said.

Howard's lower back tightened up after he came out of Game 82 on Wednesday. It was enough of a problem Friday that he could not take part in the Mavericks' lengthy practice.

Howard, a 15.6-point, 6.3-rebound producer in the regular season, said he expects to play in Game 1 on Sunday, even though the Mavericks are somewhat concerned by the back problem that has flared up occasionally in the last month.

"I don't really know what it is," Howard said. "It's just tight. The last game, I got a little tightness in it when I came out of the game, and it got tighter when I sat for a while. It was worse by the time the game ended and when I got home."

So does he plan on playing in Game 1?

"Right now is the most important time to play, so I'll go out there and play," he said. "It's two days away, so I should be back. It's nothing major like that."

Avery Johnson said Howard would be checked out thoroughly and evaluated daily.

Some good news: While Howard's back further clouded the Mavericks' injury situation, they received good news when Devin Harris was able to go through practice with no serious problems from his sore left quad.

"Everything felt great – no setbacks," he said. "I got the OK from the doctors. As for minutes [Sunday], that's up to AJ. But I'll be in uniform."

Having played only seven games since the All-Star break, Harris was asked if he was worried about being rusty.

"Nah, I can still get to the rim," he said.

Johnson said Harris "looked OK" during practice. "Now we've got to see what happens with the recovery," he said. "He went at it pretty hard."

Marquis Daniels (left hamstring) also practiced Friday, but Darrell Armstrong (left ankle) did not.

Speaking of health: Memphis' Pau Gasol has been bothered by a left foot injury, but the Mavericks aren't buying any of it.

"He'll play, and he'll be 100 percent," Johnson said.

Upset sprinter: Jason Terry and Dirk Nowitzki raced each other in a wind sprint after practice, with Nowitzki winning, much to the surprise of assistant coach Del Harris and others, Terry included.

"That was totally unexpected," Terry said, before adding, "Next time, I won't give him that two-second head start."

Last edited by HexNBA; 04-21-2006 at 10:17 PM.
HexNBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

sonuvabitch.

We might, might be able to get by with an injured Harris. But no Jho means NO. NO. NO!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

God is not a Mavericks fan.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-21-2006 at 10:26 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Kill me.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It has me concerned, too! Man, so many variables to this postseason. So many guys healthy or not. This thing could go either way. We could end up as a skeleton the ridiculously deep and talented team we spent the season being, or we could stay healthy and even add the extraordinary marksmanship, tenacious defense, and general hustle of Keith Van Horn.

God may well cast the deciding vote in this one.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Ah man, not another one. Hopefully he and Devin will be fine.

That's awesome that Dirk won the sprint after practice against Terry

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

GAH, COME ON. THIS IS RIDICULOUS

i can see it now, "starting at small forward...RAWWWWWWWLE MARRRRSHALLL"
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

any news on DA?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

What is Daniels' status? He had a bad hammy
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:08 PM   #10
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Worst 82nd game EVER! (Okay, it was entertaining but still.)

It was a loss.
DA hurts his ankle.
Howard hurts his back.

AUGH.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:10 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

When will it end?

Dear Lord, why hath thou forsaken us? Is it because of the poker deal? If so, I will initiate a DDoS attack on them right away......
Old 04-21-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
GAH, COME ON. THIS IS RIDICULOUS

i can see it now, "starting at small forward...RAWWWWWWWLE MARRRRSHALLL"
Maybe next year, but RAWWWWWWWLE MARRRRSHALLL was left off the playoff roster!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

This is all posturing by the Mavs. Just like Gashole will play, so will Jho. Book it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #14
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh Danged it...
Old 04-22-2006, 12:32 AM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Oh joy. We might have more Stackhouse. I can't stand my own excitement.

BE WELL JHO!!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:46 AM   #16
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Great. If his back is tight than maybe he should sit out the first game. I'd rather do it now than wait until game 4 or 5 are on there way. The Mavs need to get rid of the Grizz as soon as possible. The worst thing that could happen is if this series goes 7 games.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:53 AM   #17
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I saw him attacking the basket once and getting hit. He was in pain the whole time he was at the free throw line. I think he'll be fine for Sunday but you never know.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:30 AM   #18
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I did see J-ho holding his back and grimacing during the Clippers game, and I was a bit worried. It looks like I was not really seeing things. Let's hope he can play.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:15 AM   #19
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
This is all posturing by the Mavs. Just like Gashole will play, so will Jho. Book it.
I agree.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #20
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

backs are tricky tho, look at Tmac. i think (hope) theres no way its that bad
Old 04-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #21
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

[q]This is all posturing by the Mavs. Just like Gashole will play, so will Jho. Book it.[/q]

well unless the dallasnews writers didnt actually get to see practice to confirm howard didnt join in, sitting out a playoff practice doesnt seem that great to me
Old 04-22-2006, 08:01 AM   #22
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

That's bad news!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #23
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That's what you think?or wanna think?...
even if,his back is a little tight,he'll get his rest and he'll be fine... Its not exactly an injury,
the sky isn't falling people.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:12 PM   #24
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

he will be fine
no excuses
go mavs

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #25
EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura aboutEastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura about

Why didn't I see this thread before I put cash on Howard over 16.5 points tonight?

Doh.
EastDallasCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Worry not EDC. JHo will notonly suit up, he will be the difference maker tonight.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:50 PM   #27
EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura aboutEastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura about

As long as he scores 17 points and the Mavs win I'll be a happy man, even though I'm sure to be slightly hungover when I get to work at 6am tomorrow.

Stupid NBA and their 8:30 Sunday night games.
EastDallasCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #28
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

He will, he'll be fine.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:36 PM   #29
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

A sore back isn't anything like a sprained ankle or pulled hammy. He'll be fine. A lot of this speculation always happens before playoffs. But, these games are important, and he'll either take some kind of painkiller shot or play through the pain.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:40 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

JHo put all this crapola to rest tonight just fine.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #31
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
JHo put all this crapola to rest tonight just fine.
Well, he only played 18 minutes.

Foul trouble got him on the bench and then Marquis' play kept him there.

He looked fine while he was out there, but I did notice a huge wrap around his back while he was on the bench so it's clearly still bothering him.