Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-10-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs at Spurs: Game 2 Thoughts

That was an awfully impressive win tonight. The Mavs completely dominated the game. They jumped on the Spurs early and never really let up. What might have been even more impressive was that everyone in the NBA makes a run. The Spurs never really did. They got the lead to 14 at one point, but the Mavs quickly pushed it back out to 18-20 points. Very impressive.

I thought the biggest differences in the way the game was played was the Dallas offense. The Mavs made a much more concerted effort to attack the rim tonight. It helped them get to the free throw line (where they seemed to get better as the game went along). A huge part of their success in getting to the rim and playing more efficient offense was the improved awareness when it came to pushing the ball and putting more pressure on the Spurs.

I was surprised, coming into this game, that Avery would make a drastic move like inserting Devin Harris into the starting lineup. I feel like I have been way ahead of the curve on Devin, and I've been calling for more minutes for a long time (when health wasn't an issue). I've said many times that I believe that Devin, along with Josh, would be the biggest keys in being able to get past the elite teams in the league and win a championship. I had thought and hoped that Avery would give Devin more minutes in this Spurs series, and I thought that might come by getting him off the bench and into the game faster. Instead, Avery took a more drastic approach by starting him. Honestly, that could have backfired on him, but coach Johnson seems to have the magic touch. Not only was able to beautifully handle the Dampier situation earlier this season, he looked like a genius after the move tonight.

The reason why Avery looked like a genius though was the play of Devin Harris. If Devin bombed, I would imagine everyone would be calling for Avery's head. Instead, Devin showed everything that I thought he could/would. Devin got into the lane at will against the Spurs. He constantly either got layups or collapsed the defense so that shooters like Stack or Josh were able to get wide open looks. On defense, he was able to harass Parker and make the Spurs have a little more trouble getting into things. But what you have to be most impressed by was the control and composure exhibited by Devin. When the Spurs tried to make any move in this game, it seemed like Devin had an answer. He really quarterbacked this team. He took the ball, initiated the offense, and when things went bad, Devin made it good again. He was great. And he had 0 turnovers. He was clearly the player of the game. 20 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists.

Josh Howard was also huge. Heck, maybe Bucher is right? Maybe Josh is the MVP of this team? Howard also changed the complexion of this game by setting a very aggressive tone. More than anyone, he personified the toughness and "attack" mentality that this team has to have to win this series. He made San Antonio pay for trying to cross-match, and he did an excellent job of getting to the line. Dallas has to make sure that he continues to be emphasized and very involved in this series. 27 points; 9 rebounds.

Dirk, meanwhile, probably gets a reprieve from all of the nasty "Bowen is in his head" articles. I think Dirk, more than anything, understands that the Spurs are going to take away what he does best. Because of that, he's going to have to help his team in other ways and rely a little more on his teammates than other stars might. Tonight, Dirk was wildly efficient with his shot. He only took 11, and while he might have had more attempts, you have to understand that San Antonio seemed so concerned about Dirk that guys like Devin and Josh were able to have the kind of big games that they did. If that's not making your teammates better, what is? 21 points on 11 shots, 9 rebounds, and 3 steals.

It was also interesting, and somewhat overdue, in my mind, to see Dallas go small situationally tonight. As mentioned, the Spurs are obsessed with making someone other than Dirk beat them. They want Bowen on Dirk, and they want Duncan to be able to roam freely and be the all-time great defender that he is. Dallas actually put Dirk at center for moments of the game and made Duncan guard either Dirk or one of the other more offensive minded guards. The problem, of course, comes at the other end of the floor where Dirk is basically forced to matchup with Duncan. The Mavs seemed more conscious of doubling Duncan on the dribble though, so as long as Dirk was able to make Timmy work for position, the double was going to be coming shortly. I thought it was a nice look, and it should have given the Spurs something to think about.

You know, Jerry Stackhouse is quietly putting together a good series. I know it's only two games in, but I think Stack, more than anyone, benefited from the rest after closing out Memphis early. Stack has had a nice bounce in his step this series, and he has been drilling those baseline 3s. That's huge for this team. I thought Stack and his teammates did a much better job on Game 2 of making sure that no one completely dominated the ball. I thought that was Dallas' main problem in game one. Stack had the ball way too much, and everyone else just sort of stood around watching. Stack had 19 points on 12 shots in 31 minutes, and that doesn't show the threat that he was all night. He's someone who demands attention from the opponents, and that helps his teammates work.

Desagana Diop had a better night than I think a lot of people will realize. Diop was almost immediately in foul trouble again tonight, and he pretty much stayed there. But Diop picked up his 5th foul early in the second half. The weird thing is that from that point on, he was kind of a man possessed. I don't know if Avery leaving him in the game for long stretches took away a lot of his anxiety or what, but he just seemed more relaxed. He worked hard to try to front Duncan, which is never an easy thing. He challenged shots coming down the lane, and he did a nice job on the boards. He looked like a different player after that foul, and that's when a lot of players might have gone into a shell.

Dampier also played well again. I'm not hearing a lot of "redemption" talk, but I think that Damp is doing a good job of making amends for some of his struggles last season. Damp also fought some foul trouble in tonight's game, but he seemed determined to make his presence known regardless. His stat line will show nothing particularly impressive, but he wasn't bad.

Marquis Daniels might move under the radar in a game like this, but I thought he did some really good things tonight. The General gave him more minutes, and Quis responded better. Daniels was the guy who seemed to be matched up with Duncan quite a bit tonight, especially when Dallas went small. Marquis was patient and persistent all at the same time. In fact, he was involved in the play that kind of typified the Mavs night. He got isolated against Duncan and tried to attack. Duncan did a great job of keeping him in front of him and actually blocked Daniels shot. Marquis stayed with it though, got the rebound, tried to follow up his miss, and he missed that one. But he went after his rebound again, finally gained possession, and converted a basket. It just kind of summed up the Mavs attitude and determination. Quis also did a good job of keeping the ball moving. I thought that was key.

Adrian Griffin was relegated to spot duty tonight. That's the sort of thing that could cause problems with a lot of players and in a lot of locker-rooms. Call it a hunch, but I don't think that's going to happen here. Griff was a true pro. He got knocked completely out of the rotation and was called on late in the first half only a measure to keep other players out of foul trouble. So Griff came in, found a loose ball and kept possession for his team. I really appreciate what that guy does for this team. It's unfortunate that he just doesn't match up as well with the Spurs as some other players on this roster do.

Jason Terry got to move off the ball tonight. He got to be more of a shooter. He had to defend the ball less. Terry had a strange night though. Jet is obviously still struggling with his shot some. He was only 5-13 for 11 points. Despite that, he still had a solid offensive game for one big reason: he pushed the ball. There was no question that pace was emphasized by the Mav coaches, and Terry did his best to make sure the team got out in transition and got some easy shots. Terry also did a much better job of attacking the rim. He had some trouble converting some of those shots, and I thought he probably should have gotten some more whistles, but just the attacking itself was enough to help the team. On defense, Terry didn't have to chase Parker as much tonight, but he was beat badly on several occasions when he did have to. Terry's off the ball defense was better, and he did a nice job of chasing Ginobili.

I think the Maverick coaches also deserve a lot of credit for this win. It gets easy to feel sorry for yourself after losing a tough game. But the Mavs were able to show toughness, resiliency, and grit by winning this one in impressive fashion. The adjustments made were excellent, and that's the biggest part of playoff coaching - the adjustments.

So the Mavs did their job. They went to San Antonio, and they got the split. Deep down, I wonder if they aren't feeling a little upset at not being up 2-0 right now? Regardless, they can't be too happy or too frustrated. Knowing the Spurs, they are going to make some adjustments of their own. They are going to give a great effort in Game Three at Dallas. They're going to relish being against all 20,000 people in the AAC. The Mavs need to be prepared for it and keep home-court. They've worked hard to earn it in this series.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Great game all-around. I do, however, hope to see Dirk be much more agressive with his shot in game 3.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Great game all-around. I do, however, hope to see Dirk be much more agressive with his shot in game 3.
Same here, but I love how Jho stepped it up, and that we aren't relying on Dirk scoring 30 a night for us to be able to win.

Great team effort tonight.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:46 AM   #4
allahu akbar
Banned

allahu akbar is an unknown quantity at this point

Duncan, the few times he was on howard, was a mismatch.

The energy and speed devin brought was crucial for you guys, for a couple reasons.

not only did that get you guys points, but it kept putting duncan in an awkward situations.

He got into foul trouble, after that he contested but it seemed half assed, like he was afraid of the foul.
allahu akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I would like to see Dirk attack a little more. He seems a little hesitant about where the doubles are coming from. It's causing him to rush and, in his words, be a little uncomfortable.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What this game did to me was underscore the utter naivete that I have always claimed AJ's "system" was. It was so cocky of him to proclaim that last offseason. As if the Mavs were so talented that all they had to was roll the ball out there and collect wins.

There are no overpowering systems in today's NBA. There is no Jordan-led triangle offense. Defensive systems? You can throw those out the window, with the way these playoffs are being called by the officials.

What these playoffs are--and what they, really, always have been, for the most part--is a beautiful combination of adjustments and counter-adjustments by either team. Nobody is just going to roll a rotation out there and say: "You can't stop us." Not in a seven-game series! Nobody is that good these days.

What we are saying instead are the subtle adjustments. We are seeing matchups being played to one team's advantage. Remember when "matchup" was a dirty word in the Nellie era? Shee-it. The Mavs won this game tonight on matchups. They benched Griffin because he didn't offer an offensive threat, and they exploited the matchup advantage that Harris afforded them.

The truth is that Avery's "system" has only ever been concerned with defense. Defense, and defense only. I will give him much credit for turning out a competitive defensive ballclub. But Game One was lost not because of defense. It was lost because the Mavericks couldn't put it in the basket on offense. Game Two, on the other hand, was won because the Mavs pounded relentless offense down the throats of the unsuspecting Spurs, at the same time that they they were suffocating them on defense.

Balance. That's what wins. And that's what the Mavs found tonight.

Enough with the "system." Match 'em up, Avery. Find the matchups that suit the Mavs best. And exploit them for all they are worth.

The Spurs are a teetering team. They are ready--READY--to fade into oblivion. A couple second-round exits in a row, and they are gone. Let's get them started on that road.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post, Chum. I completely agree.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 AM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Chum we had this discussion in training camp. Avery has never outlined his system for the fans so how can you critique it? If by system you thought he meant a rigid set of plays and set lineups then your right.

I never took it to mean that. IMO when AJ talks about his system he’s just talking about basic defensive principles. For example the way we funnel the wing man to the baseline to a waiting center. The way we play the pick and roll, the way we rotate to the open man after the double team. Really just a basic set of principles that are drilled into the players until it all becomes second nature…that’s all the Spurs “system” is.

Offensively we don’t want to throw up the first 3-pointer that we get and we want good shooters taking most of the 3’s. Also we want to get to the basket whenever possible. Again, simple principles but still a change from what we’ve been doing.

A system doesn’t preclude you from matching up...it just means that the 5 you put on the floor adhere to the same offensive and defensive principles.

I’ve heard just about every player on the team allude to “playing our system” at some point in the season. Obviously there’s more to it than your giving him credit for.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:31 AM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

The ball in in Pop’s court. If he doesn’t change the way he’s defending the high screen this thing is going to be over in 5. I thought it was ridiculous Sunday but JT wasn’t able to make them pay. Glad Avery didn’t go away from it. If they’re going to give our PG’s a free run to the paint to take away the contested 16-footer from Dirk I’d go to that all day.

I though or rotations were really crisp but I’m a little uneasy doubling Duncan. All we need is for they’re 3-point shooters to get going. I’d almost prefer to take my chances with Tim and hope he starts missing FT’s again.

Tonight’s game was why the Spurs tried to trade for JR Smith at the deadline.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 AM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

D2K, that's a well-spoken argument, and you may well be right. You may well be right. But last year I watched AJ completely abandon something he thought he was right (in terms of Daniels, "everyone can't play in the playoffs") when the pressure got hot. And tonight I watched him go away from a style that hoped to win on defense in favor of a style that attacked the basket relentlessly. There is just something philosophically with AJ that doesn't seem quite coherent. He seems to change his philosophy when he has to.

Principles, I'm all for. And doubtless those principles are paying dividends. But when it comes to gameplanning, the "system" is little more than an afterthought.

Here's the way I see it. When AJ deviates from his "system"--as he did in the Houston series last year and as he did tonight, when he won with offense as opposed to defense--he does well. When he insists on his system, he is often exploited by a more experienced coach.

My own personal belief is that AJ has an idea in his head of a type of team that can beat any comer, regardless of what they attempt. And that's what he is trying to build. But two years in a row now, he has run into at least one team that won't lay down so easily. The Phoenix series last year was a horrendous job of coaching. The Spurs series this year, I hope, will turn out much better.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:44 AM   #11
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
D2K, that's a well-spoken argument, and you may well be right. You may well be right. But last year I watched AJ completely abandon something he thought he was right (in terms of Daniels, "everyone can't play in the playoffs") when the pressure got hot. And tonight I watched him go away from a style that hoped to win on defense in favor of a style that attacked the basket relentlessly. There is just something philosophically with AJ that doesn't seem quite coherent. He seems to change his philosophy when he has to.
With the system, I don't think its either or, its both. AJ has always said the offense was not bad, but the defense needed work. ANd while we were runing the Spurs off the court, we also refused to let them back in the game. Thats because of the system, which is more about expecting guys to make plays, stay in front of their man, and not make mental mistakes.

There have been some great articles written recently about how the players get a report after every game detailing every defensive mistake they made, and giving each player, and the team a grade. They know if the team scores below 50, they lose, above 70 they win. Game one was lost not because of offense. One or 2 fewer mental mistakes on d would have iced that game. Just covering Bowen's 3 would have done it.

The offense is willing ready and able to win a grind it out game like game one, if it has to(and should have). its is equally ready to run teams off the floor like tonight. But none of it matters if the opponent is allowed to catch up. Tonight, as in Game 4 against Memphis, the D kept its focus and its lead. Thats the system working.

It sure was fun watching some run and gun like the old days, Chum. You and Nellie must have loved the hell out of it. But we know, and the Spurs know if we let them control the tempo, we can still beat them in their house. I wonder if they still believe they can beat us in ours. They looked pretty old and slow tonight. They'll blame injuries, but Timmy sucked it up 2 nights in a row. Those other guys.... will look good on a fishing boat soon.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:17 AM   #12
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the system is stability.

Avery's kept the lineup steady for the most parts, however, the system doesn't preclude him from making changes. Kenny made a sharp comment about the Devin for Griffin move - Griffin can do his thing as a starter or as a sub. I don't think Avery's system changed tonight at all. Devin still did his thing and Griffin did his but the amount in which they were featured (start of game, minutes played) varied - and appropriately so. Likewise for the Diop insertion into the starting lineup. So it's not really about having different starters or lineups but rather having a very set role for everybody. That's what I think the players refer to when they talk about Avery's system - everybody knows EXACTLY what individual duties and responsibilities they have for the team to have success. Some nights it will call for more capable man-up defenders, other nights for penetrators and dishers. And all require a little defense. But everybody knows which player Avery will go to for that mix in his recipe.

Even the simple fan can break it down from 1-12 what every player's role is. How often they are used and when they are used in the role is subject to change, by injury or by opponent, but the role has remained consistent and that gives players focus and confidence to execute. I don't think any player with us today has a significantly different task to do from game to game or from season start to today. That's very reassuring for a player and helps build efficiency and confidence.

IE- part of the system is to play defensive-minded centers at all times, no matter who. Granted, Avery has more fouls and players to play but also to his credit, he's helped mold himself 3 D-capable centers. He's helped get that out ability of Diop, effort/consistency out of Damp and some development from DJ. He's also not afraid to play them when they have a bad game or possession. Also, this keeps Dirk away from playing center. Another novel concept in the "system". But the key in all this is that Diop, Damp and DJ know their jobs and know they will get opportunities.

I want to give Nellie some credit for his hand in this, and he does deserve some, but if the Mavs win this thing, let's not take Avery's shine. He's done and is doing a very commendable job.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 05-10-2006 at 03:20 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:59 AM   #13
RedPhase

RedPhase is infamous around these partsRedPhase is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
What this game did to me was underscore the utter naivete that I have always claimed AJ's "system" was. It was so cocky of him to proclaim that last offseason. As if the Mavs were so talented that all they had to was roll the ball out there and collect wins.

There are no overpowering systems in today's NBA. There is no Jordan-led triangle offense. Defensive systems? You can throw those out the window, with the way these playoffs are being called by the officials.

What these playoffs are--and what they, really, always have been, for the most part--is a beautiful combination of adjustments and counter-adjustments by either team. Nobody is just going to roll a rotation out there and say: "You can't stop us." Not in a seven-game series! Nobody is that good these days.

What we are saying instead are the subtle adjustments. We are seeing matchups being played to one team's advantage. Remember when "matchup" was a dirty word in the Nellie era? Shee-it. The Mavs won this game tonight on matchups. They benched Griffin because he didn't offer an offensive threat, and they exploited the matchup advantage that Harris afforded them.

The truth is that Avery's "system" has only ever been concerned with defense. Defense, and defense only. I will give him much credit for turning out a competitive defensive ballclub. But Game One was lost not because of defense. It was lost because the Mavericks couldn't put it in the basket on offense. Game Two, on the other hand, was won because the Mavs pounded relentless offense down the throats of the unsuspecting Spurs, at the same time that they they were suffocating them on defense.

Balance. That's what wins. And that's what the Mavs found tonight.

Enough with the "system." Match 'em up, Avery. Find the matchups that suit the Mavs best. And exploit them for all they are worth.

The Spurs are a teetering team. They are ready--READY--to fade into oblivion. A couple second-round exits in a row, and they are gone. Let's get them started on that road.

I think Avery Johnson won the coach of the year...NOT YOU.
RedPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:03 AM   #14
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPhase
I think Avery Johnson won the coach of the year...NOT YOU.
So what is it exactly that you're saying here, that because AJ won coach of the year that fans on a message board aren't allowed to critique his performance as coach? Give me a break.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:28 AM   #15
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Last night's Inside The NBA is now online and I absolutely love it.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:51 AM   #16
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Arne is a bonafied Nazi sympathizer

haha jk
Old 05-10-2006, 05:49 AM   #17
Wiley_e

Wiley_e is on a distinguished road

??????
Old 05-10-2006, 05:53 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think WX should have had more water and less of another liquid.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:59 AM   #19
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
I think WX should have had more water and less of another liquid.
Agreed, wasn't that funny, was it?

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:19 AM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Nazis are really only funny as bumbling idiots on TV
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #21
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, ddh.

I was also very impressed with Dallas in the 3rd. With those stupid memories of a Dallas team blowing a 20 point lead to the Lakers in the 4th, and a Dallas team giving up a lead to Steve Kerr's 3 ptrs, it was beautiful to see this Dallas team keep their foot on the throat of the defending champs.

And for all this system talk, I'm just happy that whatever Avery's system is, it includes aggressive defense as a priority. The Spurs had only 16 points in the 2nd to Dallas's 32. They had 14 turnovers to Dallas's 6, and only 4 steals to Dallas's 10.

I don't think Dallas would have won very many games this year if Avery's system is "let's play defense, and forget about offense, and I'm never going to change anything because I'm so proud." He won COY because he raised defense from an afterthought to a priority, gave everybody well defined roles, and has been smart enough to make some creative adjustments to keep his team winning.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:51 AM   #22
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

"This game was more our style, up and down," Terry said. "Now in Game 3 we have to continue to be aggressive and look for more offense. Tonight we made a great adjustment and it paid off for us big. We just have to play our system and get out and run."

Nellie still on vacation? I say no :P

Last edited by Folterkammer; 05-10-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Folterkammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #23
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Here's my game 1 thoughts:
I think the Mavs needed to be more agressive going to the hole. Although Stack put up some #'s, I still don't like relying on him. When we succeed against the Spurs it's usually JhO, Quise and Devin taking it to the rim all game. you could tell Terry was trying to make the effort, but I'd like to see the other 3 put pressure on the Spurs. And Dirk as well.
Other than that, I thought the D was good, but the Spurs know how to finish a game better then Dallas, hopefully the Mavs learn from them in this series, and it propels them past the Spurs, and to the Trophy.

They followed the perfect gameplan, and it worked to perfection.
And once again the D was pretty good
Old 05-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #24
Spurs Fan

Spurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations on an excellent game. That, folks, was a Texas-sized ass kicking. Unfortunately for me, I have until Saturday to stew about this game.

The refs didn't screw us, the quick turnaround from the last game in Round 1 didn't make us play this bad. There are just no excuses for the lack of energy my Spurs brought to this game. I fully expect an energized and pissed-off Spurs team to take the floor on Saturday, though.

Once again, congratulations. Damn good game by your Mavs.
Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #25
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

WHAT A GAME!

Few post-game thoughts came to my mind:

1. Devin was very effecient in the game. Having both our PGs in the game really exploited Tony Parker's injuries.

2. Horry cannot guard Josh Howard.

3. The officiating sucked donkey poo. However, that wasn't what cost the Spurs the game because bad calls went both ways yesterday.

4. Although Dirk was limited in his offensive game, he did a very good job rebounding and defending the rim when the Spurs' guard penetrated. Like many posters mentioned, the locked down D that the Spurs are playing on him opens the game up for Josh and JET and Devin to do their thing.

5. The Spurs looked old and tired. On a night where they desperately needed help from the bench, Finley and Barry and Van Exel gave them nothing.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #26
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Great game. I have never seen TP get abused that badly. And great attitude there fans of the spurs at the game. That was ridiculous. Officiating was bad, but bad on both sides of the ball, and the spurs just make it worse by complaining about every call.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #27
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
So what is it exactly that you're saying here, that because AJ won coach of the year that fans on a message board aren't allowed to critique his performance as coach? Give me a break.
I can't possibly understand how you can critique AJ right now,the man made beautiful adjusments.
Thats the essence of playoff basketball,and every kind of basketball.
He's preaching defense because our PA reached 100.8 two years ago,maybe some of you prefer forgetting it.
We're a bad ass offensive team,i believe the best offense we ever had,it's not an adventage AJ wants to ignore,no sain coach would.
So SA is not exactly the best running team,the few slashers are underachieving and they're game has become Duncan,this team is tired and a pure half set game would be exactly what they need.
you put a fast,eneregized players on 2 line-up positions and you wear them out.
so,you execute those beautiful adjustments. AJ desereves nothing but lots of credit for this game...

Last edited by nowitzki_prophecy; 05-10-2006 at 08:56 AM.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #28
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Dirk shows how awesome he is by playing without the ball. And with the ball? 63% from the field.

Mavs brought the double team on Duncan very quickly and did a great job staying at home and/or recovering on perimeter shooters. Great fundamental defense and high pressure offense.

Last edited by jacktruth; 05-10-2006 at 09:07 AM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #29
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

One of the biggest things I think that people aren't mentioning is Dirk's interior defense - especially in the 3rd quarter when the spurs were trying to make a run. I know they didn't credit Dirk with any blocks, but he definitely blocked/deflected one of Parkers shots without any help - an impressive feat. He then proceeded to alter another one of Parker's close shots and one or two other people into a miss close ones all in the same quarter and again without any help. Despite what most people want to believe, Dirk is a respectable shot blocker/alterer now.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #30
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Dirk also got a clean strip on Duncan that of course they called a foul on.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #31
lion45heart

lion45heart has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Fan
Congratulations on an excellent game. That, folks, was a Texas-sized ass kicking. Unfortunately for me, I have until Saturday to stew about this game.

The refs didn't screw us, the quick turnaround from the last game in Round 1 didn't make us play this bad. There are just no excuses for the lack of energy my Spurs brought to this game. I fully expect an energized and pissed-off Spurs team to take the floor on Saturday, though.

Once again, congratulations. Damn good game by your Mavs.
I agree. Big ups for the Mavs. They played a good game against the Spurs.
lion45heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #32
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

GO MAVS!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #33
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

It's a whole lot better for a team to push the ball when that team has something resembling coherent transition defense.

2006 Mavs have it... previous years didn't.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #34
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I've kicked this around quite a bit, and I'm not sure that the Spurs can make enough adjustments to beat the Mavs. Sure, they might win another game, but I don't see any way that they can win the series.

The Mavs dominated last night, and Dirk didn't even have to have a big game.

The Spurs have only one guy who has ANY chance of covering Howard -- Bruce Bowen. The problem for them is, he's busy bear-hugging Dirk. A switch defensively is out of the question, because that would unleash Dirk completely. It really is a "pick your poison" situation, because either Howard or Dirk is going to go off. Period.

The Spurs have nobody who can cover Devin Harris. Sure, they can change their pick and roll defense to help on Harris, but the guy setting the screen is a scorer (either Dirk or Howard, usually) who will get the ball right back and hit the shot. Admittedly, they'll probably try some of this to make Harris into a passer rather than a scorer just to see if he can make the right decisions, but I have full confidence in Harris. He looked calm, cool, and completely in control out there last night. He really ran the team and managed the game well.

A further problem for the Spurs is that while they're busy trying to guard Harris, Howard, and Dirk, they have to put a really weak defender on Terry/Stackhouse/Daniels. Bad news for them, because Stackhouse has taken advantage so far, and you have to think that Terry will have some good shooting games before the series is over.

On the other end, the matchups REALLY work well for Dallas. Our centers (despite constant foul trouble) are really holding their own against Duncan. Likewise, the perimeter defense against Ginobili and Parker has been very good, particularly now that Harris is in the lineup. Harris is the guy who can keep Parker from dominating. This allows the team to stay at home on the Spurs three point shooters. The Spurs hit 4 3-pointers the entire game, and had only 13 attempts. The Mavs are doing a fantastic job of shutting that part of the Spurs attack down. The thing is, when you don't allow Duncan and/or Spurs guard penetration to create open 3-pointers, you take away the offensive contributions of about half of the Spurs rotation (Bowen, Finley, Horry, Barry, Van Exel). The Spurs won't put their centers on the floor because of defensive matchup problems, which means that they're basically left trying to get all of their offensive production from Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker. And I don't think that's going to work for them.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #35
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree, kg, 6-18 and 5-13 just aint the real JT.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #36
lion45heart

lion45heart has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think that the Spurs can win game 3. Pop is a master at making adjustments. Game 3 will be interesting to say the least.
lion45heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #37
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion45heart
I think that the Spurs can win game 3. Pop is a master at making adjustments. Game 3 will be interesting to say the least.
yeah, but Avery showed who was daddy last night.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #38
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

"(Howard) is really a match up problem because you have to go big on him because our best perimeter defender has to guard one of their bigs." - Michael Finley

"They have great shooters and are a very good offensive team. It is kind of like pick your poison when you are playing them." - Bruce Bowen
Old 05-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #39
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion45heart
with Parker less than 100% and Manu focused more on flopping than actually playing good ball.....those will have to be some serious adjustments.

lets all just agree on this: The Mavs have not played their best game yet (JT poor and Dirk soso thus far)...but they have already won a game by 22.

The spurs did what they needed to (at least in style) in game one....and only won by 2.

the Mavs have just presented the Spurs with matchups that they cannot handle unless fully healthy.....but they are not fully healthy.

I say keep harris in the starting lineup, get JT hot, just freakin get Dirk the ball in good spots!!!, and keep JHo rolling like a mad man to the hoop!

edited to add: Oh yeah...and keep playing Mavericks Defense!!! (man doesn't feel good to say that?!!!!)

Last edited by sike; 05-10-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #40
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I really like how Jho has been able to pick up his 3 ball and actaully shoot it well and know when to shoot it.