Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Dreaded and Feared Game Three

If historical precedent has any meaning, this next game is quite a big one for our little Mavericks. As you know, the series is tied one game apiece. The last four times the Mavs were in this situation (which covers the full modern--i.e., Dirk--era), the road team has won every single time.

And more importantly than that, the Game Three winner has gone on to take the series every single time.

To wit:

2005 West semifinals - Mavs win a game in Phoenix and come back home to lose 102-119. Suns wins series.

2003 West finals - Mavs win a game in San Antonio and come back home to lose 83-96. Spurs wins series.

2003 West semifinals - Sacramento wins a game in Dallas and comes back home to lose 141-137 (in what was probably the most exciting playoff basketball game of the last 15 years). Mavs win series.

2002 West semifinals - Mavs win a game in Sacramento and come back home to lose 119-125. Kings win series.

Three times the Mavs had "stolen the home court," and all three times they gave it right back. One time the Mavs had the home court stolen from them, and in that case they also won it right back.

Granted, it's only a four-game sample. But it's a solid four-for-four. This may well be the most important game the Mavs will play this season, unless they get to the NBA Finals.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2006, 12:48 AM   #2
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I ain't scurred.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 AM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

This game is definetly very important. This is very very close to a must win.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:19 AM   #4
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

The Dreaded and Feared Game Three, Indeed... for the SPURS!

These are the new Mavericks who slapped the Spurs around like a jealous husband. Of course, this is not to disregard the importance or the difficulty of game three. We are going against the pissed off champs who have had almost a week to rest and strategize and our precious HCA edge is at stake but these Mavericks have shown a champion's knack to rise to the occasion and overcome hurdles thus far.

Being as that we are making history this season, I do not see reason to use history as a barometer for this season.

This game 3 belongs to Dallas.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Chum, to add to those 4, how 'bout the Houston series last year. Mavs were down 0-2 and win the 3rd game on the road and go on to win the series from there!

I think, you have a valid point backed up by empirical evidence. Anytime, a road team wins the game 3, it gives them a huge edge in the series!!

Go Mavs!!!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs' points are well-taken

Good things still come in 3s, but now Dallas prefers to play inside

[David Moore / The Dallas Morning News]

SAN ANTONIO – It may seem odd to bring this up now, with San Antonio still smarting from the 113 points thrown at them, but these Mavericks aren't as prolific on offense as past versions.

Five of the teams left in the playoffs average more points. All have launched more 3-point shots. Not only are the Mavericks scoring less than in the past, they're scoring differently.

And that's fine with them.

The Mavericks' defensive awakening has overshadowed the offensive transformation this team had undergone. Coach Avery Johnson has structured an offense that runs the pick-and-roll rather than the pick-and-pop. These Mavericks attack the basket rather than probe the perimeter, looking for an open space to squeeze off a jump shot.

The Spurs spoke after Thursday's practice of the need to keep the Mavericks out of the paint and off the free throw line in Game 3. How often did you hear opponents say that in past playoff runs?

"Avery has been a basketball guy from day one, taken in a lot from a lot of people to add to what he already believes," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "Nellie [Don Nelson] taught him well. He knows how to use mismatches. He knows how to go to guys who are hot. He knows how to use people's talents on the court. He's continued that.

"But he's also become a little bit more judicious at the offensive end as far as wanting to take care of the half court a little bit more, making sure that more shots are good shots and timely shots based on clock and situation. I think he's done a good job in that regard."

Judicious? San Antonio has already taken six more 3-point shots than the Mavericks in the first two games. The gap will widen as the series progresses.

"I think we still have a lot of firepower," said forward Dirk Nowitzki, who has taken only three shots from long range against the Spurs. "We have a lot of shooters. But this year, we've got some slashers. We've also got some tough guys who will get to the rim and get to the foul line.

"Back then, we weren't that great at getting to the foul line."

The last time these teams met in the postseason was the 2003 Western Conference finals. The Mavericks averaged 21.1 free throw attempts during that playoff run.

That's nine fewer than the team is averaging now.

Josh Howard, Jerry Stackhouse and Devin Harris love to attack the basket. Marquis Daniels can get in the lane and make things happen. Strong moves have replaced soft jumpers as a staple of the Mavericks offense.

Something else has changed as well. The majority of the offense runs through Nowitzki, just as the majority of the Spurs offense goes through Tim Duncan.

"I haven't charted it," Popovich said. "But I would say that Dirk and Tim have about the same percentage of touches in a game. The more it goes through those individuals, the better off each team is.

"We're smart enough to figure that out."

The last time these teams met in the playoffs, Steve Nash and Michael Finley had key offensive roles for the Mavericks. Finley, who now comes off the bench for San Antonio, estimated that 45 to 50 percent of the offense went through Nowitzki when the Big Three was intact.

"Now, it's 65 to 70 percent Dirk and the other guys work off him," Finley said. "He is now the focal point of the offense."

An offense that has undergone a significant shift.

"When you're not shooting the ball that well, it's important to get in the lane and get some points in the paint," Nowitzki said. "I think the style we're playing now suits the playoffs a lot better than it did a couple of years ago."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:18 AM   #7
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Dirk: Time for Mavs fans to let Finley have it

From Staff Reports

As far as Dirk Nowitzki is concerned, it's time to let the boos flow.

For the second year in a row, Nowitzki and the Mavs are playing against a former fan favorite in Dallas. Last year, it was Steve Nash and Phoenix. This time, it's Michael Finley and San Antonio.

Nowitzki said any sentimentality between him and his good friends is long gone.

"We're all over it," he said. "Hopefully, we'll win the series and move on."

Asked what kind of reception he thinks Finley deserves, Nowitzki said: "It's playoff time. I think he got his cheers in the two regular-season games. Now it's time to boo him."

What sort of reception does the former Mavericks guard expect?

"I haven't done anything wrong," Finley said. "Some will cheer me, and some will boo me.

"I left because they didn't want me, not because it was my choice."

Eddie Sefko

Parker getting closer to feeling 100 percent

San Antonio's Tony Parker went through a full practice Thursday and said the left quad contusion and bruised right thigh and hip that limited him in Game 2 were feeling better.

"Hopefully, I will be close to 100 percent Saturday," he said.

Parker had more turnovers (four) than assists (one) in the Spurs' Game 2 loss and was outscored, 20-15, by Devin Harris.

"Devin Harris caught us a little bit by surprise," Parker said. "We didn't know he was going to attack the rim like that. We were more focused on Jason Terry and Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard.

"We're going to have to pay more attention to him, try to slow him down and not let him penetrate like that."

David Moore

Harris expecting Spurs to get physical

Devin Harris expects the Spurs to play a little more physical on him Saturday. Harris made his first playoff start Tuesday night and scored 20 points in the Mavericks' win.

"You will probably see more fouls going to the basket," Harris said. "But you should expect that. We are a tougher team when we have two shooters on the floor who can penetrate and get it up and get guys some open shots."

Calvin Watkins

Van Horn could return for Game 5

Keith Van Horn, who has missed the playoffs with a broken right thumb, worked out with limited contact Thursday.

Van Horn said there's still pain in the thumb but not enough to cause any further problems. Van Horn is expected to practice with full contact today. Van Horn said he hopes to return for Game 5 on Wednesday at the earliest.

Calvin Watkins

Foul problems with front line a concern

In the first two games of this series, Mavericks centers DeSagana Diop and Erick Dampier have combined for 18 fouls, seven points and 24 rebounds.

A bulk of the fouls have come against Tim Duncan, who has totaled 59 points in the series.

"We have to do a better job of post defense and working him and trying to play defense without fouling him, because that's been a problem for us," Avery Johnson said.

Calvin Watkins

Struggling Terry isn't worried about his shot

Jason Terry is struggling with his offense. He finished the Memphis series averaging 17.5 points. In the first two games of the Spurs series, Terry is shooting 35.5 percent and averaging 12.5 points.

"Not even concerned about it," he said. "I'm shooting the same way."

With point guard Devin Harris in the starting lineup, some pressure is taken off Terry when he moves to the shooting guard spot.

"It allows us to get out on the break a lot quicker," Terry said. "Both guard spots are interchangeable."

Calvin Watkins
Old 05-12-2006, 02:19 AM   #8
kriD
Platinum Member

Focus factor: Mavs can't relax

Dallas says it must keep attacking

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Two things you never thought you'd hear somebody ask about your little Mavericks:

Are they meaner than San Antonio? And are they overconfident?

To the first question, Avery Johnson and the Mavericks plead guilty, with no apologies.

As for the second, Thursday's lengthy film session and practice was aimed specifically at avoiding any letdown, pitfall or overconfident vibe. With Game 3 at American Airlines Center on Saturday (7 p.m. tip), Johnson is watching for any sign that there might be even the slightest loss of focus.

"We're at home," Johnson said. "We know that doesn't guarantee a win. So I'm going to really look at our players' body language. It was OK in practice. It's going to have to be better tomorrow. We know we're probably going to get a better game from them. But we got to be better."

The same sort of determined effort the Mavericks had in their Game 2 win in San Antonio is exactly what Johnson expects from the Spurs on Saturday. The Mavericks must be ready for it or the same sort of blowout that San Antonio suffered could befall Dallas.

"With the Spurs, you can never relax," Dirk Nowitzki said. "They won 63 games. Good teams win on the road. We showed it in Game 2.

"To me, home court doesn't mean that much if you play great teams because if you have a great defense and are tough, you can win on the road. We have to keep attacking."

Therein lies the key. Thursday was spent not worrying so much about what San Antonio will do differently after losing at home for the first time in the playoffs, but addressing the still-plentiful problems the Mavericks had in Game 2.

The Mavericks weren't flawless, Johnson said. But if the scale of their worst game of the season to their best game ranges from 1 to 100, Tuesday's was 100.

"That was pretty sharp on both ends," Nowitzki said. "But we've been battling consistency all season long."

Hence the need for Johnson to address the overconfidence problem. No matter how high the stakes, when a team returns home after doing a commendable job on the road, human nature can rear its ugly head.

But this team won't think about the big picture because Johnson won't let them.

"Our focus is to win one game," Jason Terry said. "We got to win this next game coming up. Our focus is to execute our game plan. Win or lose. If we execute our game plan, we like our chances."
Old 05-12-2006, 02:43 AM   #9
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD

From Staff Reports

For the second year in a row, Nowitzki and the Mavs are playing against a former fan favorite in Dallas. Last year, it was Steve Nash and Phoenix. This time, it's Michael Finley and San Antonio.

Asked what kind of reception he thinks Finley deserves, Nowitzki said: "It's playoff time. I think he got his cheers in the two regular-season games. Now it's time to boo him."

"I haven't done anything wrong," Finley said. "Some will cheer me, and some will boo me.

If Dirk got over it... I'm over it already! If Dirk says boo him... man, let's all effin' boo him already!!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:52 AM   #10
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Two of those four games had major injury factors (Webber and Nowitzki).
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:38 AM   #11
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine Dirk saying this seriously. He has too much love for Fin. It had to have been said in jest.

"I left because they didn't want me, not because it was my choice

I saw this quote elsewhere. Here it seems completely out of context.

I'm not a Sefco hater, but I think this is manufactured controversy.

Plus, Fin is right, he didn't do anything wrong, but age. Dirk is right. He's had his cheers and this is the playoffs and that sh*t must stop.

But don't boo him, it'll just inspire him. The last thing we need here is a pissed off, inspired Finley hitting threes.

It would be cool if, when he's introduced, the AAC gave him that quiet applause, like the Democrats give Bush during his state of the union message.

That will never happen. I say just ignore him.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #12
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Chum, to add to those 4, how 'bout the Houston series last year. Mavs were down 0-2 and win the 3rd game on the road and go on to win the series from there!

I think, you have a valid point backed up by empirical evidence. Anytime, a road team wins the game 3, it gives them a huge edge in the series!!

Go Mavs!!!
didn't we also win game 3 against Utah back when (though it was only a 5 game series)

Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 AM   #13
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

From Staff Reports

"Devin Harris caught us a little bit by surprise," Parker said. "We didn't know he was going to attack the rim like that. We were more focused on Jason Terry and Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard.
Have they not been that worried about Stackhouse?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
kriD
Platinum Member

Subtle alterations on horizon

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- Surely, a scouting report on Devin Harris existed before Game 2.

Right?

Adjustments supposedly tell the story of the playoffs. It's the game within the game. The move and countermove. The chess match.

But as the Mavericks and Spurs inch closer to Saturday's Game 3, how many game-deciding, momentum-turning changes can either team really make? What hasn't one side -- or one coach -- not seen from the other?

"It still gets down to basic basketball," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said Thursday. "Pick-and-rolls, post-ups, isolations, transition defense, rebounding."

Johnson apparently reserved his place in Springfield, Mass., by inserting Harris into the starting lineup Tuesday, a move supposedly in the works for weeks and one that paid off with a 113-91 series-tying rout.

Though it had to catch the Spurs somewhat off- guard considering Harris' relative inactivity recently, San Antonio's coaching staff was well aware of the potential impact of the second-year point guard.

Just as the Mavs aren't surprised by Tim Duncan's offensive outburst through two games after a season of diminishing returns (by his standards) for the former two-time MVP.

So, are the Spurs suddenly going to get healthier and quicker in the backcourt?

Do DeSagana Diop and Erick Dampier stand a chance when defending Duncan and his reputation?

The answer is likely "no" on both counts. The message spouted by both teams as the Western Conference semifinal shifts to American Airlines Center for the next two games is mostly the same.

"Game 2 is over," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "Game 3 is our focus and we're going to try to play better as a team and, as individuals, I'm sure we'll try to play better.

"And Dallas will do the same thing."

With a chance to seize control of the best-of-seven series, the next series of "adjustments" are likely to fall into the minor category. Harris, for one, doesn't expect any easy forays into the paint.

"You're probably going to see more hard fouls going to the basket," said the Mavs' most effective penetrator.

Not that Game 2 didn't provide a preview with Spurs guard Manu Ginobili crashing to the court courtesy of Diop. The Mavs' first-year starting center is building a reputation as a shot blocker.

Intimidator is the next step.

"That's what Coach has been preaching all season," Diop said. "That's my first time ever putting somebody on the floor. I never had a chance before, but if I have a chance, I'll put somebody on their back.

"That's just part of the game. I'm not trying to hurt anybody. That's just a hard foul."

Though it's been Foul City for Diop and Dampier through two games, the Mavs' two-headed attack at center is doing its best to make Duncan work.

"They run 80 percent of their offense through him," Dampier said of Duncan. "If he goes at us enough and he gets all the calls, eventually we're going to get in foul trouble. But for the most part we've been playing hard, just contesting the shots he takes."

Trying to figure out what the Spurs will do next isn't something Dirk Nowitzki is wasting time contemplating. Not after six games (3-3) between the teams this season.

"I have no idea," he said. "We let them worry about it. We hopefully can do more of the same that we did in Game 2. We'll see. It's a game of adjustments, and every time you lose, you have to figure something out."

Anticipating what Popovich has up his sleeve is an exercise for Johnson's staff. Video coordinator Monte Mathis, a former college assistant, takes on the role of opposing coach and puts together a list of 10-15 strategic moves with which he would attack the Mavs.

But, as Johnson maintained, there's nothing new out there. The Mavs have seen the Spurs start centers Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic. They know what Ginobili and Tony Parker can do, if healthy. They've seen plenty of variations of pick-and-roll defense against Nowitzki.

The adjustments with each passing game in a series have less and less to do with the opposition.

"We've got to do better in our game plan and system," Johnson stressed. "It's guaranteed they're going to make some changes. Right now, there can't be any necessarily major changes."
Old 05-12-2006, 08:22 AM   #15
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

A close-to-100% Tony Parker will be a serious threat to the Mavs.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #16
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with that Triple Dipping. Manu, too.
I think the answer to this
Quote:
So, are the Spurs suddenly going to get healthier and quicker in the backcourt?
Is a big fat yes.
The extra days off will be as good for Parker, Manu, and crew as the earlier break was for Stackhouse.

Considering how poorly Dallas played after the time off bewteen rounds, I think they better be working hard right now. THis game won't be as easy as the last.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
A close-to-100% Tony Parker will be a serious threat to the Mavs.

I doubt he is anywhere near 100%, as shown by Shaq last year and Devin this year, thigh bruises don't heal that quick. . . it's not like he took any time off or anything. Besides, isn't his hip now sore as well, as well as his arm after game two. Now Manu has a busted jaw (which he deserves) and a sore lower back from being put on his arse by Diop.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
101 6 7

101 6 7 will become famous soon enough101 6 7 will become famous soon enough

Tim Duncan's Spurs have never lost a series in which they had homecourt, and the first two games were split (and those series have all been wrapped up before game 7).

Teams that have pulled off the split but fallen (series length in parentheses): Minnesota (4), Phoenix(6), Dallas(6), Denver(5)

Also, in '02, the Spurs pulled off a split in LA, only to fall in 5.

But, as a Spurs fan, I'm not confident that is going to happen THIS time; those splits usually happened against teams which were seriously over-matched. The Spurs could prove that is the case in this series, but I don't think so. Tomorrow is not a must win for either team, but it will show quite a bit about the rest of the series. However, if either team wins in a blowout (unlikely) THAT team is going to win the series.
101 6 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101 6 7
Tim Duncan's Spurs have never lost a series in which they had homecourt, and the first two games were split (and those series have all been wrapped up before game 7).

Teams that have pulled off the split but fallen (series length in parentheses): Minnesota (4), Phoenix(6), Dallas(6), Denver(5)

Also, in '02, the Spurs pulled off a split in LA, only to fall in 5.

But, as a Spurs fan, I'm not confident that is going to happen THIS time; those splits usually happened against teams which were seriously over-matched. The Spurs could prove that is the case in this series, but I don't think so. Tomorrow is not a must win for either team, but it will show quite a bit about the rest of the series. However, if either team wins in a blowout (unlikely) THAT team is going to win the series.
Didn't the Spurs won the first 2 games at home vs. Lakers in the '04 playoffs but lost the series?

I think it's more of a must-win for the Spurs than the Mavs because the Spurs need to prove that they are capable of making the adjustments against Avery's strategies.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Minnesota won a game and the series was 4 games long??
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #21
V2M
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Minnesota won a game and the series was 4 games long??
May be in the 1st round when it was only a best of 5.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

oh wow, I forgot about that
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #23
101 6 7

101 6 7 will become famous soon enough101 6 7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
Didn't the Spurs won the first 2 games at home vs. Lakers in the '04 playoffs but lost the series?
Yes, and as a matter of fact, the Spurs have faired historically much worse in games 3 & 4 after winning the first two in SA (have lost BOTH 3 & 4 the past 3 times that has occurred). Also, LA is the only team to have bumped Duncan from the playoffs since Utah (Stockton, Malone that took MJ's Bulls to 6) did it Tim's rookie season. The Spurs did bow out in Rd. 1 in '00, but Duncan was out the entire series; so HUGE asterisk on that one.

Quote:
I think it's more of a must-win for the Spurs than the Mavs because the Spurs need to prove that they are capable of making the adjustments against Avery's strategies.
I respectfiully disagree. I repeat that it is not a MUST win for either team; since they each should have some confidence (the Mavs because they have won 2/3 in SA, and the Spurs because they are, ultimately, the 1 seed and defending champs). But if SA loses, it knows it still has game 4 to get HCA back, wheras if Mavs lose, they will have dropped the huge MO they got by taking HCA away, and it wouldn't surprise if doubt didn't creep in thinking maybe Game 2 was an aberration (and the Spurs series have a history of going JUST like that).

That being said, a blowout by the Mavs (I don't expect one, but you never know), would spell, IMO, the end of this Spurs run, and probably give the Mavericks the momentum to take the series, possibly in 5. Also, a blowout win by the Spurs would not do as much damage to the Mav's psyche, again IMHO, as would another game similar to game 1, where execution down the stretch decided it. Lack of confidence at the end of games cost the Spurs 2 series to the Lakers before they were able to consistently overcome that bugaboo.
101 6 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirkster says boo...

Me BOO.

Can't wait mon, just cannot wait to rev it up and crank it up at the AAC saturday!! HOO (STINKIN) RAH!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #25
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

The Suns beat SA in 2000 in the first round even though SA had homecourt advantage. Hoowever Duncan had a knee sprain I think which kept him out of that round. I think what we will see is a little more switches on pick and rolls involving Dirk. Pop went into the series thinking that if they held Dirk in control neither of the other players could have a consistently long impact on the series in order to tilt it in the Mavs' favor. Game 1 and 2 should have shown him he was wrong. While Dallas does not have a second scorer or All-Star level player yet (Josh and Devin have the chance to be one day) they have enough good players to make the spurs pay for sending not only Bruce against Dirk but also frequent double teams. Therefore I will expect the Spurs to allow Dirk to get some more points 25-28 and live with jumpers he takes over Tony in switched pick and rolls and use Bowen to defend Stack and Howard more because right now there is no one on the spurs that is playing any kind of D on those guys. Obviously that does not answer what they do with Devin, and more importantly to me at least Jet. He has shot a low percentage but he has been wide open on some of them. The Spurs are not doing a great job on him either, so I would expect Jet to break out in one of the two games in Dallas and have a 22+ point game with a couple of killer threes in there.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #26
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

From Staff Reports

Our baby's all growns up and is so germanly gangster. From the teat of Finley, you feed no longer, Dallas.

I don't think you give Findawg any special treatment. He's a Spur from San Antonio. Like just the rest of them. All the Spurs are one and the same.

VIVA MAVERICKS!

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:19 AM   #27
kriD
Platinum Member

Ginobili must step on gas

Spurs hope sputtering Argentinean takes advantage of Terry

[By David Moore / The Dallas Morning News]

I've asked to view the transcripts of every phone call Gregg Popovich has made over the last three days.

My fear is that the National Security Agency won't have time to process the request before Game 3. The more I think about it, the less it matters. How the San Antonio coach responds to Avery Johnson's lineup change will be telling.

But the outcome of today's game, and possibly the series, hinges on how Manu Ginobili responds.

The most electrifying contributor to the Spurs' third title has been sporadically effective this time around. Or as Ginobili calls it, irregular.

He did have games of 32 and 27 points in the first round, but was otherwise tormented by Sacramento's Ron Artest and rattled by a turnover he made to elongate the series. He did deflect the pass that led to an ugly, ill-fated possession by the Mavericks to end Game 1, but he nearly shot San Antonio out of the victory by missing three shots in the final two minutes.

Ginobili has missed nearly twice as many shots as he has made in this series. He has one assist and is still looking for his first 3-point basket against the Mavericks. His health is a constant concern.

"I know I scored way more last year in the playoffs," Ginobili said. "But I don't think it's a matter about me scoring but me playing better. I'm not that concerned about me having to score more than 20 or anything like that ... just overall being more useful."

The Mavericks have declared their defensive intent. They will let the Spurs run their pick-and-roll with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker and stay at home on the outside shooters. They will guard Duncan with one defender the majority of the time, hoping he dominates the ball to the exclusion of his teammates.

Johnson's move to Devin Harris paid dividends, but it comes with a risk. Adrian Griffin is a physical defender who gives Ginobili problems. Taking him out of the starting lineup means that Jason Terry must defend Ginobili. That matchup didn't hurt the Mavericks in Game 2.

It's a matchup the Spurs must exploit tonight.

"We're going to definitely try to get Manu more involved," Parker said. "It's kinda difficult because they're not leaving the shooters every time I penetrate. They're making me or Timmy try to do something. We need to get more motion going, more plays where everyone is moving and everyone can get shots.

"I think we can help him to get shots, to get his confidence going."

Ginobili is at his frenetic, game-changing best when he takes the ball to the basket. The problem is spacing. The Mavericks have more bodies in the lane because Duncan has the ball in the post. They play underneath on the pick-and-rolls to keep Parker from getting to the basket, making for more defensive clutter.

The problem is Ginobili's outside shot. He is 0-of-5 in this series and 5-of-25 from 3-point range in the playoffs. Unless he hits that shot against the Mavericks, he won't be getting into the lane to wreak his Argentinean havoc.

Think about the headache Josh Howard has become for San Antonio in this series. That is what Ginobili did to opponents last postseason.

Injuries have sapped the San Antonio guard of his consistency. He missed 17 games during the regular season, leaving him, in the words of Popovich, "betwixt and between." As soon as Ginobili started to feel better, another ankle sprain or bone bruise would pop up to destroy his rhythm.

There's a reason he's known as El Contusion.

"The season wasn't as good, and I'm not carrying over that energy, that confidence, of last year," Ginobili said. "But I can't be thinking about that.

"I'm not playing very well, and I'm trying to get out of it."

He'd better hurry.

Otherwise, it won't matter what changes Popovich makes.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #28
kriD
Platinum Member

'We'll see who's glaring at the end,' Duncan says

From Staff Reports [/ The Dallas Morning News]

A hard foul by Jerry Stackhouse knocked Michael Finley to the floor in the fourth quarter of Tuesday's Game 2. Afterward, the Mavericks guard stood over Finley and glared.

San Antonio's Tim Duncan was not impressed.

"That's all fake hype," he said. "That's all that is.

"Great for them. They were winning. We're going to do our best to get up and win these games and get the series.

"We'll see who's glaring at the end."

David Moore

Key for Howard: Don't rush long-range goals

Josh Howard is shooting 50 percent from 3-point land in the playoffs (8-of-16).

Considering he was a 30-percent 3-point shooter his first two seasons in the league, his improvement in that area is impressive.

He upped his average to 42.9 percent during the regular season.

"I'm taking my time," Howard said. "I don't rush shots. I let the shot come to me."

There's evidence to back him up. The number of 3-pointers he took dropped from 115 in 2004-05 to 63 this season.

Eddie Sefko

History suggests winner of Game 3 in fine shape

With the series tied at a win apiece, the victor tonight will have a huge statistical advantage in the series.

In NBA history, the winner of Game 3 in a best-of-7 that is tied at 1 goes on to win the series 75.5 percent of the time (111-36).

Eddie Sefko

Mavs beating Spurs at their own game

Part of the reason San Antonio has struggled in the first two games is because the Mavericks have taken a defensive page or two – or 20 – out of the Spurs' playbook.

"They're playing like we do," the Spurs' Tim Duncan said. "They're trying to take shooters out of it and make it a one-on-one game. We've got to do a better job of hurting them with that.

"We're a very unselfish team. We want to move the ball, we want to get everybody involved. But we've got to make sure if the shots are there to take the shots and make them adjust to that."

David Moore

Spurs' injury talk? Now that's funny

Avery Johnson doesn't appear to have any sympathy for the Spurs being banged up. He implied that too much attention was being paid to San Antonio's injury situation. Johnson noted that the Mavericks were hit as hard as any team this season.

"Everybody wants to talk about the injuries of other teams," he said. "It makes me laugh, like I'm watching Comedy Central."

Rachel Cohen

Avery: Game 3 letdown shouldn't happen again

Avery Johnson watched the Mavericks go to Memphis in the first round and squeak out an overtime win.

He doesn't want to see a similar lapse in concentration tonight.

"I thought we took a step backward in Game 3 of the Memphis series, but we were fortunate enough to win it," he said. "They know exactly what we have to do to keep the level of consistency offensively and defensively, especially against a championship team."

Eddie Sefko

Wait not as agonizing second time around

Avery Johnson wasn't going to psych out his players at the time and call the Mavericks' long layoff after the first round a bad thing. But now Johnson is singing a different tune and acknowledging that the lengthy break was less than ideal.

While Johnson would rather have played Game 3 against the Spurs on Thursday instead of today, he said, "That probably is going to be a little bit better [than the gap between rounds one and two] because it's three days [off] compared to six."

Rachel Cohen

Horry doesn't buy the same old story

San Antonio's Robert Horry chafed a bit when asked how the Spurs would defend the Mavericks' athletic perimeter players.

"You know, we're athletic also," Horry said. "We're just older athletic."

And don't give him the excuse that the Spurs were understandably tired and hit the wall in their 22-point loss in Game 2.

"People can say that, but I think it's baloney," Horry said. "You've just got to go out there and play. You've got to suck it up and play.

"We should have been ready."

David Moore

Last edited by kriD; 05-13-2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:24 AM   #29
kriD
Platinum Member

Sub-plots: Dirk, Duncan may not tell tale

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Somewhere, a bunch of television Einsteins were in a room floating an idea of stopping the best series in the NBA playoffs for four days.

"Brilliant," they said, raising cold beverages.

Or maybe not. But regardless of whether the schedulers have mucked up the rhythm of the Mavericks' ongoing climb up Mount Spur, their Western Conference semifinal resumes tonight. Sorry for the interruption.

But there is good news. Just as San Antonio overcame the traitorous schedule to win Game 1 after a quick turnaround for them, both teams no doubt can overcome this long break.

Mainly, the Mavericks and Spurs can get back to the business of disproving all the analysts who believed this series would tilt on whichever superstar dominated.

So far, Tim Duncan has been very good, and Dirk Nowitzki has been a notch below. But it's everybody else on the court who has been crucial in getting this best-of-7 set to 1-1 going into all-important Game 3 at 7 p.m.

Nowitzki has averaged 20.5 points, more than 10 below what he torched Memphis for in the first round. Duncan has poured in 29.5 points but also dealt with foul trouble in Game 2. Other than that, he's been terrific. And the Mavericks appear content to let him be just that, as long as the supporting cast is limited.

As for Nowitzki, he's gotten it. He realizes he doesn't have to score 30 to be at his best in this series.

"Every series is different and brings new challenges," Nowitzki said. "In the Memphis series, they pretty much played me with a big guy all series long and with single coverage. So I was able to do whatever I wanted.

"San Antonio all season long has been trying to take that away from me. Every time I post up, they send a big guy or a small guy. Sometimes when I put the ball on the floor, three guys are coming. They want to make sure I never have my rhythm. I have to do other things to help my team win. Game 1, I wasn't very efficient. Game 2 was a lot better, and I'm looking for more of the same."

Duncan vowed Friday before the Spurs left San Antonio that he would be more aggressive today than he was in the first two games.

The Mavericks expect nothing less.

"I think they're going to give more touches to Tim down low," said Josh Howard, the Mavericks' leading scorer in the series at 22 points per game. "That's going to be a test. Game 3 is going to let us know where we're at."

The Mavericks obviously would like to deal from a position of strength. Last season in the second round, they never led the series against Phoenix and lost in six games.

But taking the lead doesn't mean weighing down Nowitzki's shoulders.

"We feel like we have options where we can get some offense, and that's why we don't need Dirk to force anything," Avery Johnson said. "If they're going to double-team him like they do, we're playing 4-on-3 against them somewhere else."

And while Duncan's scoring has been the bulk of San Antonio's offense, the Mavericks have done a representative job of keeping Duncan off balance just enough to render the Spurs beatable.

"A lot of people are wrong a lot," said Jerry Stackhouse about the theory that Nowitzki or Duncan would be the decisive factors. "Whenever you have really good teams, the X-factors become more important. Your best players are going to have a presence on the court to offset what the other one is doing on the floor.

"How they're trying to play Dirk is allowing guys to get a half-step advantage, and that's a good thing for us."

A very good thing, because Nowitzki has been able to occupy so much of the Spurs' defensive attention. He's found a way to help the Mavs even without getting past Bruce Bowen's sticky defense.

"I don't really need to get past it if everybody's playing well," Nowitzki said. "I only took 11 shots in Game 2, but it was efficient. Guys were able to make plays for us and walk down the lane and make some layups. Really, that's all we need. For me, this is more a series of having an all-around game."
Old 05-13-2006, 02:27 AM   #30
amuseddaysleeper

amuseddaysleeper is a jewel in the roughamuseddaysleeper is a jewel in the roughamuseddaysleeper is a jewel in the roughamuseddaysleeper is a jewel in the rough

101 6 7

very very solid posts

I think a lot of you however are taking game 3 too serious as are the fans on the spurs boards.

I think game 5 is MUCH more crucial than game 3. I think with game 3, the mavs could win, but then lose game 4 and it would nullify what they accomplish in game 3. or they could win game 3 and lose game 4. Obviously if the mavs win game 3, it'd put a ton of pressure on game 4, cuz SA could come back to tie the series up or be dead in the water with a 1-3 series against their favor. Parker and Manu will be healthier, how much healthier remains to be seen. Also the mavs are a great home team and like Pop, AJ doesn't want his team slacking and losing any of the momentum the mavs built up so well after the game 2 thrashing they gave my spurs. this is gonna be the best spurs-mavs series yet!
amuseddaysleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #31
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea it's kind of hard to classify a game 3 from a 1-1 tie as being that critical to either team. Game 4 is probably going to be more important and more urgent. But actually in the seven game series they all just sort of begin to build upon what happened last time.

If the mavs win #3, then #4 becomes critical for the sk*rts and vice-versa. Once any team gets 3 wins it's katie-bar-the-door.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 05-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #32
dude1394
Guru

So I read that Nazr would be starting tonight. This makes sense to me as the spurs continue to get beat on the boards and horry can't guard anyone.

Last time he played he was a pretty good physical presence for the spurs. The defensive issues are still there however. It forces duncan/nazr to guard either dirk/josh.

But it would get them more physical around the rim.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #33
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a good move. Like you said, it won't do much for their defense but it should get them a couple of extra possessions on offense.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #34
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
So I read that Nazr would be starting tonight. This makes sense to me as the spurs continue to get beat on the boards and horry can't guard anyone.

Last time he played he was a pretty good physical presence for the spurs. The defensive issues are still there however. It forces duncan/nazr to guard either dirk/josh.

But it would get them more physical around the rim.
Yes, Josh Howard will probably get the mismatch with Duncan guarding him.

I expect him to go to the bucket hard tonight....He could have a monster game -- I'm thinking career playoff high type game.

Terry vs Parker
Devin vs Ginobili
Howard vs Duncan
Dirk vs Elbowen
Diop vs Mohammed

Devin's also got a mismatch, if you will....I guess the spurs feel that they can control the game if they win the boards, even if it means that Howard or Harris might go off. We'll have to see. The last time they tried that (in April) the mavs held a lead throughout the game and pulled out the victory.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #35
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuseddaysleeper
I think a lot of you however are taking game 3 too serious as are the fans on the spurs boards.

I think game 5 is MUCH more crucial than game 3. I think with game 3, the mavs could win, but then lose game 4 and it would nullify what they accomplish in game 3. or they could win game 3 and lose game 4. Obviously if the mavs win game 3, it'd put a ton of pressure on game 4, cuz SA could come back to tie the series up or be dead in the water with a 1-3 series against their favor. Parker and Manu will be healthier, how much healthier remains to be seen. Also the mavs are a great home team and like Pop, AJ doesn't want his team slacking and losing any of the momentum the mavs built up so well after the game 2 thrashing they gave my spurs. this is gonna be the best spurs-mavs series yet!
Perhaps we should wait until after Game 3 is won before we need start worrying about Games 4 and 5?
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #36
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Grab ya glocks, when you see da Mavs
Call the cops, when you see da Mavs, uhh
Who shot me, but ya punks didn't finish
Now ya bout to feel the wrath of the menace
Spurs, I hit em up....
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:39 PM   #37
kriD
Platinum Member

The key for three

Mavs show 'soft' tag is inaccurate

By ART GARCIA

DALLAS -- Jerry Stackhouse wasn't trying to send a statement or prove anything when he hovered over Michael Finley in Game 2.

Maybe that's not entirely true.

"It was just one of those things," Stackhouse said Friday. "It was a good block. No matter who it was or how he actually fell after that, it's gamesmanship.

"I stayed a couple seconds longer probably than I should have but, for anybody to try to make a negative out of that, it's wrong. We got tangled up in Game 1, he goes to the floor and I pulled him up. I never heard anything about that."

Even so, the sight of one of the Mavericks standing and nonchalantly walking over a fallen Spur -- or anyone -- isn't a familiar image. Nick Van Exel famously called the Mavs "soft" once while throwing ethnicity into the mix.

Van Exel was playing for the Mavs at the time.

The rap stuck. And rightfully so.

"When I played against the Mavericks, I thought they were soft, too," Stackhouse admitted. "Since I've been here, with the changes, it's not that same identity."

Taunting doesn't prove toughness. Taking control of the Western Conference semifinals against the defending champs does.

Four days removed from Monday's 113-91 Game 2 blowout, the Mavs are in favorable position as the series shifts to American Airlines Center. Protecting the home court tonight means a 2-1 series lead for the Mavs heading into Monday night's Game 4.

That would put San Antonio in a dubious position. Since the start of the Tim Duncan playoff era in 1998, the Spurs haven't won a series when trailing after three games.

The Mavs are battling their own history. During the current playoff streak dating to 2001, the Mavs are only 5-7 in Games 3 and 4 at home. Only twice in franchise history -- and just once since '01 -- have the Mavs won a series without the home-court advantage.

The Mavs snatched the advantage by splitting two games in San Antonio. They did the same against Phoenix last year in the West semis, only to give it right back in Game 3. Ditto for 2003 against the Spurs.

"That's going to be a test for us," Josh Howard said. "Game 3 is going to be an important game for us. It's going to let us know where we're at."

San Antonio certainly isn't intimidated by screeching battle cries of "Humble" Billy Hayes. The Spurs are 4-1 against the Mavs at AAC in the postseason, including 3-0 during the '03 West Finals.

"The good thing about great teams is that they win on the road," Dirk Nowitzki said. "We showed it in Game 2 and they beat us here in the regular season once.

"To me home-court advantage doesn't mean that much if you play great teams. If you have a great defense and you're tough, you can win on the road or at home. It doesn't really matter."

Nowitzki has long talked about the Mavs developing a "killer instinct." He thought it was there in the first-round sweep against Memphis, though coach Avery Johnson wants to see more proof.

"It needs to evolve even more because we have to continue to have some level of consistency," he said. "I thought we took a step backward in Game 3 of the Memphis series, but we were fortunate enough to win it. And we took a step back in Game 1 of this series.

"They know exactly what we have to do to keep a level of consistency defensively and offensively, especially against a championship basketball team. And if you ever want to get to a championship level, you have to push through and be consistent."

Consistency is one thing. Are the Mavs really tough now?

"Yeah, we've got some guys a little rough around the collar," Stackhouse said. "That's good for us. That brings an edge when it comes to competing. We accept it."

The kind of moxie that defined Johnson's playing career has seeped into the locker room. The Spurs know they're in for a fight, even if Stackhouse's move over Finley rubbed some the wrong way.

"That's all fake hype," Duncan said. "That's all that is. Great for him. They were up. They were winning.

"We're going to have to do our best to get up and win these games and win this series, and we'll see who's glaring at the end."
Old 05-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #38
kriD
Platinum Member

MAVERICK NOTES

Stackhouse knows he needs to provide points

By JEFF CAPLAN

DALLAS - As long as the Spurs' defensive strategy is to swarm Dirk Nowitzki, sixth-man Jerry Stackhouse said it becomes imperative for him to pick up his scoring.

"If we could throw the ball into Dirk and he gets 25 shots and they don't double-team him, obviously we'd do that," Stackhouse said. "But they're playing to make other guys try to beat them."

So far, Stackhouse has come up big. He averaged 11.8 points on 35.7-percent shooting (15-of-42) in less than 30 minutes a game during the Memphis series, when Nowitzki was having his way.

In two games against San Antonio, Stackhouse is already 16-of-33 (48.5 percent) from the field and averaging 21.5 points and 33 minutes.

He's 4-of-7 from the 3-point line (3-of-4 in Game 2), compared to 2-of-9 in four games against Memphis.

His 24 points in Game 1 kept the Mavs in it until the end. His three first-half 3-pointers from the same corner helped the Mavs to the early blowout in Game 2.

"He's our sixth man of the year," Josh Howard said. "We count on him to come in and get buckets for us. That's one of the things he's been doing this series, and we're going to need him to continue to do that if we want to win."

Griff all about team

Adrian Griffin started 50 of the 57 games he's played with the Mavs this season (including the first five playoff games) and averaged about 24 minutes per game.

Coach Avery Johnson's decision to start Devin Harris in Game 2, however, dramatically altered Griffin's role. He played just 4:29. Only three times during the season did he log less time.

"This is about the team. This is about winning," said Griffin, who called Johnson's move to start Harris the difference in the game. "We have a good chance to win, not just this series, but the one after that and the one after that. Everyone is on the same page."

Johnson said Griffin's minutes will be determined by matchups and that Harris is preferable against the Spurs' quick backcourt.

Howard from 3

Josh Howard uses far more discretion now when it comes to 3-pointers, and it's paid off. In his last 11 regular-season games, he made 7-of-15 (46.6 percent), and his accuracy has carried over. He's shooting 50 percent in the six playoff games (8-of-16) and is 2-of-4 against the Spurs.

"I don't rush my shot. I let the shot come to me," said Howard, who raised his 3-point average from 29.6 percent last season to 42.9 percent while reducing the number he takes. "My teammates trust me. They know I'm going to knock it down whenever they give me the shot."

Hook in progress

Dirk Nowitzki's German coach, Holger Geschwindner, who's been working with his pupil during this series, said that Nowitzki continues to practice a hook shot, but that he's still not comfortable enough with the mechanics to go to it in games.

It would seem an effective low-post weapon considering the fits smaller Spurs defender Bruce Bowen gives Nowitzki on the perimeter.

Johnson honored

Avery Johnson was selected The Sporting News Coach of the Year. He received 14 of 26 votes cast by the head coaches. The Suns' Mike D'Antoni was second.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #39
kriD
Platinum Member

The key for three

Mavs can beat Spurs even if Dirk is off, if ...

By JIM REEVES

DALLAS -- It's one of those questions that burrows into your mind, like a fat tick on a feeding frenzy, and just won't let go until it has drained you dry.

It came creeping into my subconscious somewhere between the Spurs' typical defensive shutdown of the Mavericks in Game 1 and the Mavs' amazing blowout victory in Game 2.

Nag, nag, nag.

OK, I get it. The question has to be asked out loud. Maybe then it'll leave me alone.

So here it is:

Can the Mavericks win this series if Dirk Nowitzki isn't their best player?

I also bring you a qualified answer as the Mavs and Spurs prepare for Round 3 tonight at the AAC.

Yes ...

Maybe...

If...

It can happen if Josh Howard and Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Devin Harris can make the Spurs pay for putting Bruce Bowen and whoever else is handy inside Dirk's shorts on a nightly basis.

The Mavs made them pay in Game 2. With a vengeance.

"We have to continue to have key contributions from other guys, like Devin and J.T.," coach Avery Johnson said after the Mavs' workout Friday afternoon. "We're looking for him to get going a little bit more.

"[We need] Josh [to] be consistent, Stack."

In other words, if the Mavs can make that step from just being a party of one, if they can once again at least resemble the Big 3 that once prowled the court at the AAC, then absolutely yes.

But if Dirk has to try to do this on his own, if Terry doesn't contribute and Howard disappears, then the Mavs will fail again because the Spurs have obviously figured out how to stop Nowitzki.

The guy they don't seem to have an answer for is Howard.

Howard and Harris, Johnson's not-so-secret weapon in Game 2, made the Spurs look old and feeble. They confirmed what some were beginning to suspect: The banged-up Spurs simply aren't as young and athletic as they once were.

They may very well win the battle by stopping Dirk but lose the war because they can't stop Howard, Harris and the rest of the Mavs' scorers.

You can bet that the Spurs are smart enough to make the Mavs prove that they can do it that way.

Nowitzki's scoring average after two games in this series is 20.5, 6.1 points less than what he averaged during the regular season and almost 11 points less than the 31.3 per game he poured in against Memphis in the first round. He'll start tonight's game as the Mavs' third-best scorer in the series, behind Howard and Stackhouse.

He has scored 20 and 21 points, respectively, in the first two games. Amazing what a difference one point makes.

Dirk was 8-of-20 from the floor in the first game. In the second, refusing to take shots he knew he couldn't make, he was a much more efficient 7-of-11.

"We have options where we can get some offense, and that's why we don't think we need Dirk to force anything if they're going to double-team him like they do," Johnson said. "We're playing 4-on-3 someplace else."

And that's the way they can win this series.

"Whenever you have really good teams, your depth and other players, the X factors, become the difference," Stackhouse pointed out. "Obviously your best players are going to get their points, they're going to get their touches. That may not necessarily be translated into points but their presence on the floor is going to do things to offset what the other [team] is doing.

"That's what's happening with Dirk. It may not translate into him getting 30 points, but his presence on the floor and how they're trying to play him allows for other players to get a half-step advantage and with our team, when we get a half step advantage, that's a good thing for us."

That's why the most repeated word on Johnson's lips Friday was consistency. If the heroes in Game 2 disappear tonight, the Mavs are in trouble, because the chances of Dirk, as good as he is, coming to the rescue aren't good against this team.

"We just want guys to do what they do," Johnson said. "If you're a penetrator, penetrate; if you're a shooter, shoot. If you're a slasher, slash. It's really that simple.

"We don't want Jason Terry to play like Devin, and we don't want Devin to play like Jason. We just want them to play their games."

That's especially true for Howard, who seemed to be playing at a higher level than anything the Spurs could match in Game 2.

There's a reason the Mavs are 21-0 this season when Howard scores 20 or more points.

So why, someone asked Howard, doesn't he just come out firing tonight, take maybe the first 20 shots of the game?

"That's not me," Howard said, hiding a smile. "I'll do anything to help my team win, shoot, rebound, play defense."

And he generally does them all quite well.

"I don't know how it's going to play out, but I know we have to come out and be aggressive," he said.

"Game 3's a real important game, and we need to play 100 percent better than what we did in Game 2 if we want to win this game."

Now there's another question that's going to haunt me for the next week or so.

How do they play 100 percent better than they did in Game 2?

Nag, nag, nag.

The Dirk dilemma

The Mavs might be able to win without Dirk Nowitzki leading the way, but it's a tall task:

9-7 The Mavs' record this season, including the playoffs, when Dirk Nowitzki scores 20 points or less.

16-7 The Mavs' record when Nowitzki isn't the team's leading scorer.

49-16 The Mavs' record when Nowitzki is the team's leading scorer.