Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jerry Stackhouse the least clutch player in the history of Mavs basketball?

This is from Bob Strum's blog. He's a member of the friendly Ticket on 1310 AM radio sport.
---------------------------
Jerry Stackhouse, on the other hand, seems to be a meltdown waiting to happen in the most crucial moments of a key game. Let’s consider the evidence: Game 1 of this series and his multi-faceted meltdown in San Antonio (or the Mavericks could have a 3-0 lead in this series), the end of Game 6 in the Phoenix game last year (I was reminded by P1 Jared) when he ignored pleas for a timeout and took a shot at the end of regulation, and of course last night, when he took a very ill-advised shot with 13 seconds left, then botched the free throw in a way that would have been embarrassing for a high school kid, let alone a 10 year NBA veteran. For a guy who is supposed to be “nails”, I am not feeling it right now.

----------------
http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=bob%20sturm's%20blog
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

LOL, there is so much Stack hatin going on.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Stackhouse or KVH? I at least hope KVH can play little tomorrow to spell Dirk some minutes to rest his ankle...
Old 05-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I like Stack better than KVH.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 05-14-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
bricklayer

bricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the rough

Stack
Old 05-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Stack has a little too much daredevil in him, and he's got a ton of confidence that he can get the job done. Sometimes that worries me...

I do think Stack is a valuable member to this team though. For instance, there was a huge shot last night that Stack hit as he was fading out of bounds. It looked like he couldn't even see the goal, but he calmly drilled it. It was one of those shots I meant to make more of a point of because it seemed like a big shot at the time. Stack also hit the game winner against Boston this season.

But whether he hits another game winner or not, I think Stack gives this team the toughness and confidence out there on the floor. It's an unspoken thing, but I think it means something.

It doesn't necessarily mean that I want Dallas consistently drawing up the last shot for him though.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:49 PM   #7

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

Granted he hasn't been hot in crunchtime as of late and has made a few bonehead decisions just like everyone else does, calling stackhouse the "least clutch player in the history of Maverick basketball" sounds like a Walton quote:

"That could have possibly been the worst inbounds pass in the history of the
Clipper's franchise."
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I also think stack is pretty damn studly. That late play when he got dirks pass and took it up strong was allright.

But he does seem sort of shaky in the iq dept.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

The TO's and the low bball IQ are the only things that bother me about Stack. He is great offensively. KVH bugs me, it's time for him to go.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Stack is great offensively? Damn, how loosely do you use the word 'great'? I suppose I'm a great physician because I was able to put a band-aid on my nephews knee earlier today.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-14-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Come on now... Stacks best contribution to this team is his firepower off the bench, thats what he does.. I mean I don't know what else he does. KVH is too fragile, at least Stack suits up. I would hate to see KVH return to Dallas, surely we can find something better... perhaps more durable.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:48 AM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Stack has been doing well lately, except for some mental farts late in games when it counts. Overall though, he is being more of a positive than a negative, keeping the Spurs defense honest at least. Once again, at the end of games he goes away from what mostly makes him a positive, which is attacking the rim aggressively. I think he could have driven to the basket on that last missed jump shot.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:14 AM   #13
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Stack is anti-clutch. Rather, he makes a few boneheaded mistakes but it's not like these mistakes only occur in the crunch.. those same mistakes happen throughout the game. Clutch means their performance rises exponentially to the rising pressure and the rising stakes. The opposite is true for anti-clutch.

What happens to KVH is anti-clutch - he'll play a good game and then fumble when it counts.

Stack is just over-aggressive. His mistakes can be described as 'not intelligent' in the middle parts of the game, and can be mistaken for 'anti-clutch' in the closing moments of the game, but the late-game errors are not 'anti-clutch' but rather are still just 'not intelligent' ones.

Get it? Got it. Good.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 05-15-2006 at 03:15 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:36 AM   #14
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Stack is great offensively? Damn, how loosely do you use the word 'great'?
So a man who scored 29.8 ppg over the course of an entire season, and who has averaged close to 20 ppg over a 10 year career isn't 'great offensively'? Well, I hope you can pardon me as I vent a big vaporous salutation out of my rear in celebration of your argument now, because I think your above referenced and strangely uninformed argument is probably worth just a little bit less than the gas that just passed through my boxers, if indeed,my fruitful but stinky efflux had been bottled, saved, and marketed for commercial reasons.

Jerry Stackhouse has (admirably and willingly) taken a step back offensively with our Mavericks over the last two seasons, in his darned respectable attempt to do the best job that he can do to fill a 6th-man, bench role, and not step on the Big German's toes, but that doesn't mean the man can't score anymore. You might think that the StackAttack isn't 'great' offensively, but I sure as shit would bet that an honest, candid, and torched Manu Ginobli wouldn't be quite so shallowly glib in his assessment of the ability of Jerry Stackhouse to put the bisquit in the basket, and I surer as shit will also bet that Stack will end up being regarded by history as being a key, KEY, offensive contributer to the first Dirk-era, Dallas Mavericks championship team (as he has been, thus far in the sp*r series, where he's been averaging almost 18 ppg and shooting a very healthy 50% from the field)...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 05-15-2006 at 04:06 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:15 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

It's been awhile since Stack scored anywhere near that much per game. I'm sorry, but we're no longer living in the past. Stack hasn't stepped aside or anything offensively for the good of the team. Stack's offensive game has deteriorated to a point to where you don't know whether it would be better to have him or Adrian Griffin on the court more on a regular basis.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Stack's offensive game has deteriorated to a point to where you don't know whether it would be better to have him or Adrian Griffin on the court more on a regular basis.
I'm sorry but this is just horseshit.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #17
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Murph's view of Stack is now rivaling Madape's view of Damp.............too funny.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say Murph's view was dead on in the regular season. However, he's really turned his game around so far in the playoffs, assuming of course you can ignore the crap he's doing in the final minutes. I've been very relieved to see a more effective stack this series.

BTW, to reference back to Sturm's blog:
<----------------- = P1 Jared

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I'm sorry but this is just horseshit.
Why? I'm not talking about offensively. I'm talking about their game. You just don't know what you're going to get out of Stack. Look at his numbers since the beginning of February. An intelligent person could not disagree with my statement simply because Stack has been bad more often than being good. With Griffin, you know you're going to get intelligent play and good defense almost all of the time. With Stack, half the time, he might as well not even be on the court. Well, half the time, it'd be better having a guy on the court that did absolutely nothing offensively other than try to grab boards than to have Stack out there.

Look at his numbers since February. You cannot argue against this.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-15-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

As has been pointed out ad naseum, it ain't all about numbers. Stackhouse gives the Mavs a better chance to win. I know you hate the guy but that is just the way it is.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Griffin also gives the team a better chance to win. Isn't that why you sign players? To give your team a better chance to win? If that wasn't the case, I'd be on an NBA roster. But, Stack has played like nothing more than a guy that's at the end of the rotation since the beginning of February.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-15-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Pretty lame follow up. Thankfully, Avery understands that a constricted playoff roster includes Stackhouse....and very little Griff. I like Griff and he has been great for us this year, but Stack > Griff. It is just the way it is.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:51 AM   #23
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Griffin also gives the team a better chance to win. Isn't that why you sign players? To give your team a better chance to win? If that wasn't the case, I'd be on an NBA roster. But, Stack has played like nothing more than a guy that's at the end of the rotation since the beginning of February.
Stackhouse commands attention from the defense, and Griffin doesn't. Griffin is not going to do anything offensively, which basically has the Mavericks playing 4 on 5.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

I agree that Stack is the better choice in this series. However, my statement was that Stack's play has deteriorated to the point over the past 4 months that you don't know what you're going to get from him. You get as more out of Griffin as you do Stack half the time. Of course, that's factoring in what they do on both sides of the ball.

There wasn't alot of attention paid to Stack the last 3-4 months. It's just good to finally see him playing decent ball.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #25
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Stack commands attention from the defense? Are we watching the same series? Stack has been open on damn near every shot. I thought it was the Spurs defense allowing him to beat them rather than Dirk.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Doc, remember that Griff played a significant role in the Memphis series.

Griff is a poor matchup in this series because of how the Spurs are playing their defense. I think he'd be a poor matchup against the Suns as well. If we advance adn play the Clips or advance to play the Pistons or even the Heat, I think Griff would play a very important role.

I agree with everything Murph is saying, in regards to the regular season. The last two-three months I was MUCH happier with Griff on the court.

To Stack's credit though, he's stepped up in the playoffs....except for the final minutes of games.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #27
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

"Stackhouse commands attention from the defense, and Griffin doesn't. Griffin is not going to do anything offensively, which basically has the Mavericks playing 4 on 5."

That wouldn't be so bad, but since the Mavs centers don't play on offense, either, it's really 3 on 5. That's why San Antonio was able to afford to play 3 guys on Dirk in the first game.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Well, here's the point. Half the time, Stack does nothing offensively AND does very little defensively. At least with Griff you know you'll get a guy that'll attack the o'boards and play defense.

And yes, Serious is dead on with his post.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #29
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Stack never saw a shot he didn't like.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #30
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of which, that Harris three was a shot that Harris shouldnt have liked. He just got so involved in the feeling of how smoothly the 2man game was going that he jacked up an awful shot.

An open shot isnt necessarily a good shot. If you shoot 2-7 from three, then maybe that shouldnt be one of the last 5 shots of the game for your team
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #31
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Thats like one thing by Harris. Stack coulda blown the game with that nice flop of a free throw. Even his mom bitched him out after the game. Thats pretty bad.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dont get me wrong-- Harris was our leading +/- guy for the game, and really won the game for us but that was really poor shot selection there.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote