Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Suns think Brand=Dirk

Oh my. Are the Suns in for a surprise. They think they can handle Dirk because he's more of a perimeter player. Oh boy. Marion will get into foul trouble trying to guard Dirk.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I suppose Dirk does equal Brand in one aspect.... Brand dominated the Suns.. Dirk is going to dominate the Suns.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

except that Dirk has a 60 win team around him.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

If Dirk puts up similar numbers like Brand did against suns I will take it as I think our supporting cast is way superior to clips.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Brand is a great player, but he's not a matchup nightmare like Dirk is. Defenses are rarely in complete disarray trying to guard Brand. It seems Phoenix's defense is the exception.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep..If Dirk just puts up the same numbers as Brand, the Suns are dead in the water.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk shot over 50% in the 4 game series, 1.75 blocks/game, 12 boards, and 29.5 ppg. He was a monster in the regular season - he'll be unstoppable in this series.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:00 AM   #8
pickupyonuts

pickupyonuts will become famous soon enoughpickupyonuts will become famous soon enough

i read posts in the suns forum and i have never seen dirk more underrated by anyone. it looks to me like the suns fans would rather play against dirk then robert "tractor" traylor

Last edited by pickupyonuts; 05-24-2006 at 02:00 AM.
pickupyonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:43 AM   #9
doriot

doriot is on a distinguished road
Default Just as hard to stop

Yes, Dirk will do as much damage as Brand - unless all his teammates really get on fire and it's not needed. Phoenix has no one to stop him any more than they could stop Brand.
doriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:05 AM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I have a feeling that this series against the Suns will be different than any other the Mavs have ever played, and I don't just mean that it will result in the Mavs going to the finals for the first time in franchise history.

It won't be the first time they'll have the opportunity to beat someone who beat them before, but it's going to be different. Beating the Kings in 03, and the Spurs this year was about proving that they could do it, that the Mavs were legit. However, this time, against the Suns it's about REVENGE. The whole team will be seeing red, but moreso than anyone Dirk and Terry will be out for blood. Payback is a biatch.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:31 AM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
You know, I have a feeling that this series against the Suns will be different than any other the Mavs have ever played, and I don't just mean that it will result in the Mavs going to the finals for the first time in franchise history.

It won't be the first time they'll have the opportunity to beat someone who beat them before, but it's going to be different. Beating the Kings in 03, and the Spurs this year was about proving that they could do it, that the Mavs were legit. However, this time, against the Suns it's about REVENGE. The whole team will be seeing red, but moreso than anyone Dirk and Terry will be out for blood. Payback is a biatch.
Inspiring stuff, sprial.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:46 AM   #12
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Not to downplay the monstrous postseason that Dirk has had to this point, but I can understand the perspective of the Suns' fans --- Dirk is not known as the offensive-rebounding, low-post bruiser that Brand is, and since the Suns have not one healthy player on their roster that they trust to contend with such a player, I'm sure it was quite a relief that they got past him. Additionally, Brand living on the block got the guys which PHX calls big men into foul trouble often, and with the thin bench, that was quite a worry as well.

Now, the Suns are looking at a PF who, in their opinion, won't put as much pressure on their interior defense as Brand did. They may be right, but if the Dirk that dragged Tony Parker and any smaller defender around the paint to get crucial offensive rebounds (in games 6 and 7, in particular) shows up for this series vs. the Suns, I'm sure the fans will change their tune quickly. I hope AJ learned a bit from the Clippers series from the perspective of having big men attacking the offensive glass against the Suns. Whenever Damp and Diop are in the game, they need to be jousting for position constantly to keep the PHX players pinned beneath their own basket (and thus out of their fastbreak lanes).
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:25 AM   #13
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt if the Suns are underestimating Dirk at all. They are probably wetting themselves in fear right now. The Suns fans, however, most likely know Dirk only from last year's playoffs.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote