Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough
Default Scotch?

i'm looking to buy some scotch,and with a soldiers sallary you cant exploit the diversity,so i was wondering if any body here knows he's scotch,cause i gotta choose.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Well, I know for sure that I'm not scotch, but if you're looking for a very fine scotch for a reasonable price, it doesn't get any better than Black Bottle. You can order it here.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread, NP . I'd say that a good classic blended scotch like Dewars or Johnny Walker Red or Black always hits the mark at a good price-point, but otherwise, I would advise trying out some of the cheaper single malts just to see what you like. I myself, generally buy blended scotch, but as far as single malts go, I absolutely love Aberlour 10 year and Laphroaig 10 year, which are both spectacular scotchs that can be had for about $22-28 a fifth, but in the past I have also greatly enjoyed Old Speyside 12, the Macallan 12, the Dimple Pinch (funny bottle and all), and Aberlour 10. Also, as far as the cheapest good blended scotch's that I have tried, the White Horse and the Famous Grouse can both often be found for about $13-16 a bottle, and they are both mighty fine spirits...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 05-24-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Try J&B

Last edited by Nemesis; 05-25-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blab's Nemesis
Nice Thread.

My expert suggestion(s) for a beginner:
1) DO NOT get a blended scotch. There is really no sense in it. You might as well get you a bottle of Crown and sell out.

2) Get some quck bake Toll-House Chocalate Chip Cookies, a can of Sprite, and of course a "beginner" single malt scotch suggested by EvilMan2. Really doesn't matter which one of those you pick. Use the cookies and sprite as a pallete booster. (you will thank me for this suggestion)

3) Start putting away some money and try to get around $60 - $100
(keep in mind a good bottle of scotch is more like a relationship or an investment).

4) Check back with us after this and I will give you some suggestions for more advanced single malts.
You sound like you don't know how to enjoy a good drink, Mr. blabsnemesis. Scotch is a darned fine inebriating spirit, and I'd say that NP is showing some similarly damned good taste in asking this board for advice in finding scotch's that are affordable, but still tasty. Maybe you should try drinking some straight bourbon or scotch someday, considering that just might put a little bit of hair on those two little tits that you sport on your womanly chest, you poontang, effeminate teetotaler...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 05-24-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
You sound like you don't know how to enjoy a good drink, Mr. blabsnemesis. Scotch is a darned fine inebriating spirit, and I'd say that NP is showing some similarly damned good taste in asking this board for advice in finding scotch's that are affordable, but still tasty. Maybe you should try drinking some straight bourbon or scotch someday, considering that just might put a little bit of hair on those two little tits that you sport on your womanly chest, you poontang, effeminate teetotaler...
Sorry if I offended you, Evil. Didn't know you were so sensitive. I don't even have to defend myself after that post.

Now if you wanna talk good drinks I will be glad to have that discussion with you. But, apparently you can't get past yourself.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
Great thread, NP . I'd say that a good classic blended scotch like Dewars or Johnny Walker Red or Black always hits the mark at a good price-point, but otherwise, I would advise trying out some of the cheaper single malts just to see what you like. I myself, generally buy blended scotch, but as far as single malts go, I absolutely love Aberlour 10 year and Laphroaig 10 year, which are both spectacular scotchs that can be had for about $22-28 a fifth, but in the past I have also greatly enjoyed Old Speyside 12, the Macallan 12, the Dimple Pinch (funny bottle and all), and Aberlour 10. Also, as far as the cheapest good blended scotch's that I have tried, the White Horse and the Famous Grouse can both often be found for about $13-16 a bottle, and they are both mighty fine spirits...
Johnny Black is my favorite blend,but for some reason the Red reminds me of Chivas and i'm not a big fan.
I heard nothing but good things about Laphroaig,it's supposed to be full of flavour and highly smoked.
A friend of mine bought a bottle of Maccallen barrale strength and let me tell you,bliss.
The texture was like cream on your tounge,and the flavour exploded in your mouth,a work of art.
I now have a couple of glenmorangie,and is a little twisted by one of them..
Though both are nice i was hoping for something with a little more texture and depth in taste.
The Laphroaig is my favorite choice for quite some time now,but i want to try the Balvini and the Glenfidich 18,which has the color of coffee and that just can't be a let down.

Funny i haven't heard anything about borbon from an american forum,Wild Turkey and Jack Daniels are pretty fine liquids.

QUOTE=Blab's Nemesis]

My expert suggestion(s) for a beginner:

single malts.[/QUOTE]

No one said i'm a begginer... just looking for something new
Old 05-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I love Scotch.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

22-28 bucks for a bottle of Laphroaig?!Damn this stuff is expensive in israel.
50 bucks for a bottle at the duty free shop...
Old 05-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blab's Nemesis
Sorry if I offended you, Evil. Didn't know you were so sensitive. I don't even have to defend myself after that post.

Now if you wanna talk good drinks I will be glad to have that discussion with you. But, apparently you can't get past yourself.
My apologies, Blab, if my assumption that your last post was some kind of a slam on me or on good scotch was incorrect. I love scotch, as indeed I love all good whiskey, but I'm also a cheap bastard, so I didn't take kindly to your post when I assumed that you were trying to paint me as being some kind of a scotch snob, or someone who is usually comfortable spending over 20 bucks on a 'beginner' bottle on the stuff.

As anyone who knows me, knows well, I love my drink and I am also very, very familiar with it, so I was just trying to answer NP as honestly and directly as my experience as a lover of bourbons, irish whiskeys, and scotches would allow me, so if you don't like my taste in scotch, then that's just fine, and I wish you much happiness now and in the future, drinking whatever 'good drinks' you like. The actual quality of 'goodness' that any variety of booze possesses, is merely a function of an individuals' individual taste, after all...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 05-24-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #11
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitzki_prophecy
i'm looking to buy some scotch,and with a soldiers sallary you cant exploit the diversity,so i was wondering if any body here knows he's scotch,cause i gotta choose.

Sorry, prophecy, but from your opening statement it looks like you needed alot of help. Forget about my suggestions. I am out of this thread.