Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-25-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
eggbeater

eggbeater is on a distinguished road
Default I come in peace...

First of all I am Suns fan but I do respect the Mavs as a great team and I think AJ is a GREAT coach. (I actually was a MAVS fan as a kid but Roy Tarpley and the Mashburn, Kidd, Jackson "era" turned me off). Unlike some I don't think last night game doesn't indicate a Suns WC title; only a really competitive series from here on out.

The reason I am here though is get your feelings on Stackhouse and Dampier. Everytime I watch them I get the feeling I would hate them if they were on my team. Especially Dampier; he seems that classic free agent worst case scenario; one big year cash-in and the cruise the rest of his career. Stack seems capable of shooting a team out of game pretty quickly

Here is to a great series.

BTW, thanks for getting rid of the Spurs.
eggbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Dampier has been close to an unmitigated disaster for the Mavs. Most would say his performance in the playoffs has been acceptable, but only because Mav fans have such low expectations. If he continues to avoid getting lit up for 40 a game every night and getting front page articles written about his ineptitude(like he did in last year's playoffs), I think Mavs fans will be happy. 5 points, 6 rebounds, 4.25 fouls a game in the playoffs might sound like shitty stats to you, but for most Mav fans, it suits them just fine.

Not for me, mind you. I realize a crappy center when I see one.. and Dampier is, and has always been, a crappy center.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
thunderFence
Banned

thunderFence can only hope to improve

I love Roy Tarpley
thunderFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

I loved Roy Tarpley the Power Forward not the crack whore. Where is James Donaldson when we need him?
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
thunderFence
Banned

Mike Izzilino

great mavs of the past
Old 05-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
thunderFence
Banned

http://www.autograph-cards.com/CardD...Mike&SportID=2
Old 05-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

That is a little extreme.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Dampier has been close to an unmitigated disaster for the Mavs. Most would say his performance in the playoffs has been acceptable, but only because Mav fans have such low expectations. If he continues to avoid getting lit up for 40 a game every night and getting front page articles written about his ineptitude(like he did in last year's playoffs), I think Mavs fans will be happy. 5 points, 6 rebounds, 4.25 fouls a game in the playoffs might sound like shitty stats to you, but for most Mav fans, it suits them just fine.

Not for me, mind you. I realize a crappy center when I see one.. and Dampier is, and has always been, a crappy center.
This is probably one of the "REALEST" things I've read all day on this board. AMEN Madape!!!! I read some post where people were actually praising Dampier, well I can see if you want to give him his props for looking LESS THAN AVERAGE against Duncan, that's one thing but lastnight he was the biggest person on the court but he certainly didn't play like it. I've thought all along, this was one of Cuban's TRUE mistakes! I know AJ lobbied for him but Cuban agreed and signed him, just doesn't make sense to me. I don't care that he wouldn't sign Nash because he thought Nash was too old or wears down too much but if you signed Nash to a four year deal he would have gotten his money's worth for atleast three of the years regardless of the dollar amount, I have YET to see the real bonus of signing damp, that was a waste of money! By Diop handling Duncan in the overtime of that San Antonio game, showed me just how much of a waste of money that was on Cuban's part.
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

You people are all full of shit. Dampier did about as good a job as anyone possibly could on Duncan considering the officials were calling fouls on whoever came within 6 inches of him.

He also had a solid performance last night considering Phoenix is constructed basically to take people like him completely out of the game.

Get a cottin'pickin clue.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-25-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The mavs were +14 with damp on the court yestersday. No his stats will never be great but he makes other players jobs easier and if he had played with 4.8 to go instead of stack we would be talking about a win instead of a loss.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
auffe34

auffe34 will become famous soon enough

Some people have opinions about certain guys on this board and those opinions are set in stone. There aren't many guys in this league that could've done better considering the circumstances. Am I saying that Damp is the greatest thing since sliced bread? No. Is he grossly overpaid considering his skills? Yes. How would've our old centers (LaFrentz, Bradley, etc.) done against Duncan? Most likely awful. Dirk wouldn't have been in position to save the series if we didn't have Damp.
auffe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
You people are all full of shit. Dampier did about as good a job as anyone possibly could on Duncan considering the officials were calling fouls on whoever came within 6 inches of him.
You see you I'm all for supporting your team but then there comes a point where you blindly route for your team. The NBA always protect their stars because don't tell me some of the fouls that was called when people were in the area of Dirk weren't phantom fouls either.

Also Dampier did a good job on Duncan huh??? Well these numbers say otherwise:
31-13
28-9
35-12
31-13
36-12
24-8
41-15

Those were Duncans points and rebounds each game! Sorry but that doesn't say that Dampier did much of anything against Duncan. He didn't even slow him down, the Kings big men did a better job of slowing him down more than Dampier. I'd be willing to bet him fouling out was the BEST thing that happened to the Mavs, because I'm CERTAIN Duncan would have abused him in the overtime like he had been all series. DIOP was the one that caused him havoc and because of that. So you all can toot Damp's horn if you want, I guess you have to but I don't "blindly" look at anything like that!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickfan
Also Dampier did a good job on Duncan huh??? Well these numbers say otherwise:
31-13
28-9
35-12
31-13
36-12
24-8
41-15

Those were Duncans points and rebounds each game! Sorry but that doesn't say that Dampier did much of anything against Duncan. He didn't even slow him down, the Kings big men did a better job of slowing him down more than Dampier. I'd be willing to bet him fouling out was the BEST thing that happened to the Mavs, because I'm CERTAIN Duncan would have abused him in the overtime like he had been all series. DIOP was the one that caused him havoc and because of that. So you all can toot Damp's horn if you want, I guess you have to but I don't "blindly" look at anything like that!
And Diop did a better job?

Did you even watch the f*cking series? NOBODY could guard Duncan, not with the way the refs were calling it.

Dampier did as good a job as anyone could possibly expect. This ain't some scrub here. This is Tim friggin Duncan.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
banpeikun

banpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to all

i agree with spiral. i've never seen so many undetectable fouls as the ones they called against our centers in that series. i seriously don't know what they were calling.
banpeikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all

to me, damp is inconsistent at best, he has his moments that are good, i dont think his effort is all that bad, but he seems to have slow reaction times as far as getting his hands up. i think he knows it and it is very frustrating to him, he is also a gamble on offense, as far as handling fast feeds under the hoop, it seems like 2 outa three get by him and out of bounds, and when he does catch it he seems to want to bounce it once b4 going up, which is fundamentally incorrect under the rim for a center. if you note these tendencies, and watch the difference between diop and damp, you will see what i mean as far as offense goes. diop handles hot feeds much better, and has better hand speed which is critical for a center. both get in foul trouble if they even look at a post up move, i think damp getsum sitting on the bench if the other team drives the lane, dont know why, but they get harsh treatment from the whistles.

stack has been in a shooting slump for a while now but did ok last night in game 1 of the wcf, (7/13 i believe) but still i do shudder when he shoots the baseline 3 from the left corner lately, its almost like turning it over to me now when i see him run over there.

STACK, DRIVE THE BALL AND DONT PULL UP, AND IF YOU DO, CONSIDER PASSING 8 FT AND OUT!!!
mav4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:20 PM   #16
Knickfan

Did you hear me say a scrub but Dampier can't stop anyone and Diop didn't stop him either BUT when it counted, Game 7, in over time DUNCAN WENT 1-4 against Diop!!!! For your information did I watch the series, YES!!! I was AT two of the games!!!!!

Yes I know it's Tim Duncan, I know how good he is. I watched every game this series and watch him get destroyed by Tim Duncan and like I said, if he was in the game during overtime, Dallas wouldn't be in the western conference finals. You don't have to like it but it's reality, accept it!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav4ever
to me, damp is inconsistent at best, he has his moments that are good, i dont think his effort is all that bad, but he seems to have slow reaction times as far as getting his hands up. i think he knows it and it is very frustrating to him, he is also a gamble on offense, as far as handling fast feeds under the hoop, it seems like 2 outa three get by him and out of bounds, and when he does catch it he seems to want to bounce it once b4 going up, which is fundamentally incorrect under the rim for a center. if you note these tendencies, and watch the difference between diop and damp, you will see what i mean as far as offense goes. diop handles hot feeds much better, and has better hand speed which is critical for a center. both get in foul trouble if they even look at a post up move, i think damp getsum sitting on the bench if the other team drives the lane, dont know why, but they get harsh treatment from the whistles.
I think that's a fair assessment.

Damp and Diop both have their strengths and weaknesses, and neither of them are are especially talented players. Although for some reason many people here seem to think that Erick Dampier is capable of playing like Patrick Ewing, and demand his head on a platter when he doesn't live up to these ridiculous expectations.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbeater
First of all I am Suns fan but I do respect the Mavs as a great team and I think AJ is a GREAT coach. (I actually was a MAVS fan as a kid but Roy Tarpley and the Mashburn, Kidd, Jackson "era" turned me off). Unlike some I don't think last night game doesn't indicate a Suns WC title; only a really competitive series from here on out.

The reason I am here though is get your feelings on Stackhouse and Dampier. Everytime I watch them I get the feeling I would hate them if they were on my team. Especially Dampier; he seems that classic free agent worst case scenario; one big year cash-in and the cruise the rest of his career. Stack seems capable of shooting a team out of game pretty quickly

Here is to a great series.

BTW, thanks for getting rid of the Spurs.

There are a lot of mixed emotions about both of those players. Especially from 'ape (below your first post).

1st he thinks dampier is the worst center in history.
2nd the thinks stackhouse is the second best player on the mavs.

Most folks on the board don't have quite such "pegged" opinions. Stackhouse brings something to the mavs with tenacity, some toughness and he's a damn fine sixth man, all told.

Dampier also brings somethign to the mavs and that's a lot o' bulk to fight someone like duncan/shaq/gasol/etc. Those big men that have torched us for quite a while. He's also really a pretty strong rebounder, 3 of 5 last night were offensive for example.

I believe that damp has shucked off most of the issues he had earlier by coming off the bench. He played quite well in the spurs series.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #19
Knickfan

Quote:
Damp and Diop both have their strengths and weaknesses, and neither of them are are especially talented players. Although for some reason many people here seem to think that Erick Dampier is capable of playing like Patrick Ewing, and demand his head on a platter when he doesn't live up to these ridiculous expectations.
I don't think anyone expects Damp to play like Ewing, hell I don't think anyone expects him to even play like a poor man's Ewing but when you pay someone 10 mill a year, expecting some consistency I guess is too much to ask for huh?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #20
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Did you hear me say a scrub but Dampier can't stop anyone and Diop didn't stop him either BUT when it counted, Game 7, in over time DUNCAN WENT 1-4 against Diop!!!! For your information did I watch the series, YES!!! I was AT two of the games!!!!!

Yes I know it's Tim Duncan, I know how good he is. I watched every game this series and watch him get destroyed by Tim Duncan and like I said, if he was in the game during overtime, Dallas wouldn't be in the western conference finals. You don't have to like it but it's reality, accept it!!!
No, I won't accept it because it's bullshit.

ANYONE, ANY ONE would've gotten destroyed by Duncan in that series, and everyone who guarded him did.

DIOP DIDN'T DO A BETTER JOB!!!!!!!!

The refs actually stopped giving Duncan the bullshit calls in overtime. That's the reason we won that game. Diop did a great job, but he wasn't doing anything differently than Dampier. He sure as shit didn't do a better job of denying him position.

And if I remember correctly, Dampier had several similar stretches on Duncan, particularly in the final minutes of game 4.

Edit: last edited by me.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-25-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So who is the center that was going to stop duncan in the spurs series? Brad Miller?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 05-25-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I don't think anyone expects Damp to play like Ewing, hell I don't think anyone expects him to even play like a poor man's Ewing but when you pay someone 10 mill a year, expecting some consistency I guess is too much to ask for huh?
Actually, for some reason it is too much to ask for from a great deal of NBA players.

I'd say the majority of players in the NBA could be described as "inconsistent."
Old 05-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #23
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I think that's a fair assessment.

well, i think he is overpaid horribly and that is where the expectations have come from. i dont think he should be in the top 20 in pay, but hes way higher than that. he makes as much in 1 minute of playing time as diop does in 17 minutes, how crazy is that?????
Old 05-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #24
Knickfan

Quote:
There are a lot of mixed emotions about both of those players. Especially from 'ape (below your first post).

1st he thinks dampier is the worst center in history.
2nd the thinks stackhouse is the second best player on the mavs.

Most folks on the board don't have quite such "pegged" opinions. Stackhouse brings something to the mavs with tenacity, some toughness and he's a damn fine sixth man, all told.

Dampier also brings somethign to the mavs and that's a lot o' bulk to fight someone like duncan/shaq/gasol/etc. Those big men that have torched us for quite a while. He's also really a pretty strong rebounder, 3 of 5 last night were offensive for example.

I believe that damp has shucked off most of the issues he had earlier by coming off the bench. He played quite well in the spurs series.
Well I DEFINATELY don't think Stackhouse is the second best player on this team, nor third or fourth for that matter BUT he expects certain standards out of Dampier, and there's nothing wrong with that. Essentially when you pay someone that type of money, there's nothing wrong with expecting them to live up to certain expectations. No one is saying Dampier needs to go and score 20 and get 12 rebounds, he can't do that on a regular basis but he should be getting 10 - 12 rebounds a night. ESPECIALLY in this series when he's the biggest person on the court!!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I was waiting for Spiral to show up and inject some sense into this thread
Old 05-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #26
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Well I DEFINATELY don't think Stackhouse is the second best player on this team, nor third or fourth for that matter BUT he expects certain standards out of Dampier, and there's nothing wrong with that. Essentially when you pay someone that type of money, there's nothing wrong with expecting them to live up to certain expectations. No one is saying Dampier needs to go and score 20 and get 12 rebounds, he can't do that on a regular basis but he should be getting 10 - 12 rebounds a night. ESPECIALLY in this series when he's the biggest person on the court!!!!
And that's an incredibly unrealistic standard.

Why in the flippidy do-da should anyone expect a guy who 7.4 boards a game to suddenly put up 10-12 on a nightly basis, especially when he plays next to guys like Dirk and Josh who grab a great deal of the available rebounds.

Edit: BTW, in this series, he's only played 16 minutes. You're telling me the guy's not playing well because he doesn't grab 10 or more rebounds in 16 minutes? He did grab 5 boards, 3 of them offensive. That's SOLID production for the time he was on the floor.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-25-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #27
Knickfan

Quote:
No, I won't accept it because it's bullshit.

ANYONE, ANY ONE would've gotten destroyed by Duncan in that series, and everyone who guarded him did.

DIOP DIDN'T DO A BETTER JOB!!!!!!!!

The refs actually stopped giving Duncan the bullshit calls in overtime. That's the reason we won that game. Diop did a great job, but he wasn't doing anything differently than Dampier. He sure as shit didn't do a better job of denying him position.

And if I remember correctly, Dampier had several similar stretches on Duncan, particularly in the final minutes of game 4.
He may have had stretches and I'm not going to go on speculation, I'm going to go by what I saw. I saw in overtime Duncan couldn't score on Diop but he scored on Dampier. All of those fouls on Dampier were NOT bull either. Maybe one or two! They called some phantom calls going in the opposite direction too, so I'm not buying the referee conspiracy theory either.

Quote:
Actually, for some reason it is too much to ask for from a great deal of NBA players.

I'd say the majority of players in the NBA could be described as "inconsistent."
You're right the majority of players in the NBA are inconsistent, but I wouldn't bite my tongue and say they weren't. Hell I'm a Knicks fan, the entire ROSTER is inconsistent, doesn't stop me from calling a spade a spade either.

Quote:
So who is the center that was going to stop duncan in the spurs series? Brad Miller?
Not Brad Miller alone but I know Tim Duncan didn't go off on them like he did on the Mavericks.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-25-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #28
Knickfan

Quote:
And that's an incredibly unrealistic standard.

Why should anyone expect a guy who 7.4 boards a game to suddenly put up 10-12 on a nightly basis.
Why you feel the need to curse is beyond me but that's not my problem, anyway, my entire point is that he DOES AVERAGE 7.4 boards a game, that's ridiculous!!! He should average atleast 10 - 12 a game! I'm not just saying now, there's NO REASON someone with the size of Damp shouldn't average double digit rebounds!!!! Well there is a reason but you all don't like to hear it, it's because he's not that good!

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-25-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #29
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
well, i think he is overpaid horribly and that is where the expectations have come from. i dont think he should be in the top 20 in pay, but hes way higher than that. he makes as much in 1 minute of playing time as diop does in 17 minutes, how crazy is that?????
Because diop has sucked his entire career until last year. You wanna pay him 10million? Damp at least averaged a double-double in his contract year, diop averaged a double-whopper. Don't be silly.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:39 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
So this would say the entire knick roster is made up of dampiers.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #31
Knickfan

Look you can get worked up all you want but they brought Dampier here for a reason, it wasn't offense it was for defense and rebounding and to me he has come FAR short of what was expected of him when he came here. The mavs success has VERY LITTLE to do with what Dampier has done this year. Can Diop average 7.4 rebounds a game if he got the minutes, YES!!!! I'm not saying Diop is the greatest in the world either but my point is Damp on his BEST day is average.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #32
mav4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Because diop has sucked his entire career until last year. You wanna pay him 10million? Damp at least averaged a double-double in his contract year, diop averaged a double-whopper. Don't be silly.

WELL IM TALKING ABOUT THIS YEAR, ITS STILL GREAT THAT HE WAS BETTER BACK THEN
Old 05-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #33
Knickfan

Quote:
You're basing Damp's contract year over another player's, a YOUNG player's career and you're telling me not to be silly?

Quote:
So this would say the entire knick roster is made up of dampiers
Yes I would say that, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #34
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Why you feel the need to curse is beyond me but that's not my problem, anyway, my entire point is that he DOES AVERAGE 7.4 boards a game, that's ridiculous!!! He should average atleast 10 - 12 a game! I'm not just saying now, there's NO REASON someone with the size of Damp shouldn't average double digit rebounds!!!! Well there is a reason but you all don't like to hear it, it's because he's not that good!
Uh you know there are a great deal of players in the NBA that are as big or bigger than Dampier and don't put up anywhere near that kind of production.

You know, there is quite a bit more than factors into rebounding than size.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #35
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
The mavs success has VERY LITTLE to do with what Dampier has done this year. Can Diop average 7.4 rebounds a game if he got the minutes, YES!!!! I'm not saying Diop is the greatest in the world either but my point is Damp on his BEST day is average.
Knickfan you are just flat out wrong and you really should defer to some folks who've watched everey minute of every mavs game this year. Diop brings a lot of energy but he's not the rebounder dampier is, nor is he nearly as good a man-on defender as damp. He's just not. Dampiers issues with the mavs has always been motivation and I would say that looks to be overcome after a year of coming off the bench. I think damp finally understands that his role IS to block and play defense and get his points on putbacks.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #36
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
WELL IM TALKING ABOUT THIS YEAR, ITS STILL GREAT THAT HE WAS BETTER BACK THEN
Wait, are you telling me Diop was better than Damp even before this year?

If that's the case, than you are either confusing him with someone else, or more likely, you're just that stupid.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #37
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
You're basing Damp's contract year over another player's, a YOUNG player's career and you're telling me not to be silly?
Yes dude, go look up their career stats. sheesh...You watch diop one series (worse yet, one overtime period) and you think you know what you are talking about here. You do not.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #38
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Look you can get worked up all you want but they brought Dampier here for a reason, it wasn't offense it was for defense and rebounding and to me he has come FAR short of what was expected of him when he came here. The mavs success has VERY LITTLE to do with what Dampier has done this year. Can Diop average 7.4 rebounds a game if he got the minutes, YES!!!! I'm not saying Diop is the greatest in the world either but my point is Damp on his BEST day is average.
You're just wrong. In ever way possible, you're wrong.

Dampier on his best day is a BEAST on the boards. Dampier on his average day is still one of the better rebounders and post-up defenders in the league.

And you may not buy the "conspiracy theory" but the fact is EVERYONE who guarded Duncan in that series got in foul trouble every single game. Gana Diop did not do a better job in that series guarding Tim Duncan. In fact, the ONLY reason Diop was even able to play in overtime was because AJ sat him most of the game in order to prevent him from fouling out, just like Damp and Van Horn did.

Edit: You say diop could average 7.4 boards if he had the minutes? I'd like to see it. You do realize that he was the starter for most of the season, right? Damp only averaged 5 more minutes than Diop and grabbed three more boards. Wanna try another one?

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-25-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #39
Knickfan

Quote:
Uh you know there are a great deal of players in the NBA that are as big or bigger than Dampier and don't put up anywhere near that kind of production.

You know, there is quite a bit more than factors into rebounding than size.
Barkley said it the best, rebounding is 95% desire and 5% ability! So yes I do know it's more than just size and athletic ability to rebound. AGAIN, that's my point!!!! Also I'm not saying Dampier is the WORST player in the NBA either, but there are four teams remaining in the playoffs so there are a limited amount of players to focus on. I'm saying if the Mavericks plan on moving on, they're relying on Dampier to do certain things and I just don't see it!!! I personally think the Mavs could or would be in the same place without Dampier. I may be wrong but I think they would and that's ashame they're paying someone that kind of money to be mediocre.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #40
Knickfan

Quote:
You're just wrong. In ever way possible, you're wrong.

Dampier on his best day is a BEAST on the boards. Dampier on his average day is still one of the better rebounders and post-up defenders in the league.

And you may not buy the "conspiracy theory" but the fact is EVERYONE who guarded Duncan in that series got in foul trouble every single game. Gana Diop did not do a better job in that series than Tim Duncan. In fact, the ONLY reason Diop was even able to play in overtime was because AJ sat him most of the game in order to prevent him from fouling out, just like Damp and Van Horn did.
One of the best in the league on his best day huh??? WOW!!! Nothing wrong with routing for you home team but that's incredible that you feel that way!!! Absolutely incredible. It wasn't me who called Eric Dampier Erica. It wasn't me who said Eric Dampier should be playing in the WNBA. That was someone who plays in the NBA, I think they would know better than you or I how well Dampier is.

Also you said AJ sat Diop most of the time to prevent him from fouling out right? Well if Dampier was SO important, don't you think he would have sacraficed Diop to save Dampier? I mean really, why did AJ do that? Why do you think the Spurs put Fin on Dirk? Not because Fin could guard him but because down the stretch they wanted Bowen to available to guard him. Well if Damp was so important, AJ would have made that adjustment but instead YOU'RE saying that AJ saved Diop, but you're telling me how DOMINANT Dampier is right!