Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Monday practice. Mavs handle up on their bidness

I always like fish's inside stuff.

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/info_page.asp

Quote:
LOOK OUT BELOW: The punctuation mark at the end of the Mavs’ first practice in preparation for the NBA Finals arrived just after 2 p.m. Monday – in the form of a loud and angry Dirk Nowitzki roar.
It was The UberMan, going at a side-court rim for a vicious dunk atop the pumpkin heads of the pre-teen sons of Jerry Stackhouse and Adrian Griffin. And it scared the wristbands off them. … and anyone else within earshot.
Dirk, of course, was goofing around, one of the rare moments I witnessed much of that during the workout.
More sights and sounds, notes and quotes, as part of your Monday Practice All-Access Pass:
LINEUP DECISIONS: Dallas has a pair of starting lineup decisions to make. Mavs staffers that I heard whispers from suggested that DeSagana Diop would likely retain the starting job at center, but that obviously, Erick Dampier would also be needed to battle Shaq – and that Damp might actually end up recording more minutes.
“We will need both of those big bodies,’’ coach Avery Johnson said.
The other decision is at guard alongside Jason Terry. Matchups dictate that Adrian Griffin might start. Coaches feel though, that Devin Harris could be a key to the series, especially if he comes off the bench as an antidote to Miami backup PG Gary Payton. Payton doesn’t start (Jason Williams does) but he often finishes. That might mean Devin finishes, too.
SPEAKING OF JET: Guess who was the last guy off the court on Monday?
Yes, Jason Terry, trying to put in the work necessary to overcome the tag of “streak shooter’’ that he’s earned in this postseason. Long after the front-line personalities, Avery and Dirk and Josh had met the media, and long after the usually ignored personalities, Griff and Damp and KVH had met the media, there was JET, a fairly solitary figure, working, working, working, on jumpers in and around the key.
DOUBLE YOUR FUN: Word is that the Mavs will endure two-a-day practices on Tuesday. Amazing thing is, under the leadership of Johnson, none of these guys gripe, roll their eyes, nothing.
Said Josh Howard: “Once we come into this gym, it’s his house. We do what he says. None of us have a ring. Avery has a ring. We all want what he has. So we listen.’’
J-HO VS. D-WADE: Howard was especially talkative on Monday. He talked about being raised by his mother and his grandma. About the “anticipation skills’’ he’s always had. About dreaming of becoming not a basketball star but a baseball or football player. About earning his degree. (I got my education,’’ he says of his four years at Wake Forest, adding frankly, “There are not too many educated black men out there.’’)
And then he talked of other NBA’ers. About his admiration for Tracy McGrady (“T-Mac is the only guy I respect, because he’s like me. He started out as a role player and elevated his game. He’s the only guy I really respect. …)
Whoa. The only one?
Turns out this is sort of a Howard figure of speech. He doesn’t mean disrespect to others – and certainly not to D-Wade, the Miami assignment he’ll draw in the Finals. Right? “He’s really worked on his shot, but one of the reasons he’s shot so well is that he gets himself open under the basket,’’ Josh said of Wade, who is averaging 26 ppg in the postseason. “We’ve got to take that away. I played him (at Wake Forest) in college. We were 1-1. We lost at Marquette. He has 20, I had 18. We pretty much balanced each other out.’’
Put it this way: Howard isn’t exactly intimidated by the prospects of guarding Dwyane Wade.
RO’S ROLE: Mavs legend Ro Blackman has been around for all the bad times. Now as an assistant coach, he gets some good.
“My job,’’ he said, “is to show the way. Help keep the eye on the ball. And not let people get caught up in all the wonderment.’’
Ro Blackman. The only guy in the NBA who uses the word “wonderment.’’
HEAT VS. WEST: It’s chic to say that the regular season didn’t matter to Miami, and that therefore, the Mavs’ blowout wins over the Heat are insignificant. Two points: 1) I believe the Heat not only got swept by Dallas, but also got swept by the Spurs and the Suns. So they has six insignificant games? 2) Believe me, the Mavs coaching/scouting people don’t view any of that as insignificant – not with the time they’re spending in film review. AJ’s VISION: Avery, surrounded by media from around the country, ended up spinning some of the same yarns Mavs fans are now familiar with. He brought up the issue of “his vision.’’ (For a great piece on this, check out our David Lord column on “Vision’’ in the DB.com Archives.) And then he put a new twist on it.
“I really just had a vision,’’ he said, detailing some of the ensuing work that’s gone into the last year-plus, adding that otherwise, “it’s not a vision. It’s just a thought.’’
FISHCELLANEOUS: AJ was asked how he’d work up a strategy to defend Dirk. “I would never tell you,’’ he replied. … Avery brought up the idea of winning a championship from the very start in Dallas, and he’s never wavered from it. He says he never will. “I wanted to stretch everybody’s thinking,’’ he said. “Don’t be afraid to think that if we fall short, it will be a lost season. Aim for excellence.’’ … ABC erected a green screen stage in the bowels of the AAC and taped brief segments with each of the Mavs. Just in case the players didn’t know how to move for the camera, ABC production people pumped in some pop-rap music to get them in the mood. … Is there a buzz around town? There sure was at the AAC, where the merchandise shop was a happenin’ place from noon to late in the afternoon. … A group of Mavs played five-on-five to close the workout. Dirk, Josh and JET did not participate, but Erick Dampier seemed very active offensively in the workout. … Josh Howard’s mom works as a nurse, and doesn’t get to attend many Mavs games in person. She now lives in Florida, so she will be making the games in Miami. “When I was in high school,’’ J-Ho recalled, “I had to tell her to shut up, she was making so much noise. It shouldn’t be a problem anymore.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting. Good stuff in there.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Nice article, thanks for posting it.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The other decision is at guard alongside Jason Terry. Matchups dictate that Adrian Griffin might start. Coaches feel though, that Devin Harris could be a key to the series, especially if he comes off the bench as an antidote to Miami backup PG Gary Payton. Payton doesn’t start (Jason Williams does) but he often finishes. That might mean Devin finishes, too.
If Devin doesn't start taking and knocking down the open 16-footer he's going to be useless until next year. By game 6 of the Suns series Nash just backing into to the paint as soon as he saw the screen coming.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I played him (at Wake Forest) in college. We were 1-1. We lost at Marquette. He has 20, I had 18. We pretty much balanced each other out.’’
Put it this way: Howard isn’t exactly intimidated by the prospects of guarding Dwyane Wade.

Josh has impressed me SO much this post season that I wouldn't be surprised if he nearly balances Wade out. It would be a VERY tall order for Howard, but he is capable of playing great D to nearly stop Wade and providing a lot of offense himself.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Josh isn't intimidated by anything. He's flat out unconscious. He's playing at a level right now that is really,really exciting.

If he can stay out of foul trouble he's going to be huge this series.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Josh isn't intimidated by anything. He's flat out unconscious. He's playing at a level right now that is really,really exciting.

If he can stay out of foul trouble he's going to be huge this series.
Agreed. And man hasn't it been a blast watching this young man bloom on the national stage this eyar.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Old news-- Josh is inconsistent and sometimes overly passionate but I've had nothing but respect for his big brass ones since he embarassed KG. That was 2 seasons ago I think

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-05-2006 at 11:54 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I remember watching Josh play the summer league games two years ago, watching him work on his offensive game, and thinking: "This guy could average twenty in the League if only they would give him enough shots."

I suspect that day is coming, and soon.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Amazing how fast he's progressing. I no longer cringe when he takes an open jumper even if it's from beyond the arc. My only complaint about his game now is his tunnel-vision during a 2-on-1 or even a 3-on-1 fast-break.

Come to think of it, Nellie had him behind Fin, Quis and Stack early last year!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 AM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Wade will have better point numbers than Josh...but that is due more to the fact that Wade will take more shots....Josh will out rebounded him and out defend him.

the distance between Wade and Howard is not nearly as far as the national media idiots would make it seem.

Both attack the basket with abandon, both are working on the outside game, both are super athletes...both will be stars for the next 10-14 years...Wade might be given the spotlight...but I have a feeling that Josh has no problem with that...he'll be content to stay in the shadows of semi-stardom with a ring and let Wade take in the adoring national press...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 06-06-2006 at 12:32 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:39 AM   #12
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

How does Jet get the label of streak shooter? I understand he had a difficult series against Phoenix, but it seems to me this guy has shot great all year long.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:48 AM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

This really deserves a thread of it's own; "Just how good is Josh Howard, really."

All through his rookie season, and last year I figured he could probably be an all-star calibur player, probably put up 15-7 points and 6-7 boards.

Now, however, I think Chum was clearly right in suggesting that he has the ability to score 20 points.

Furthermore, I always though his defense, while not at all bad in and of itself, was quite overrated by most Mavs fans... until these playoffs. The defense he has played on the likes of Parker, Nash, Marion and others has been quite breathtaking. I mean, all-defense material.

So that bears the question, just how good is Josh Howard? He's obviously all-star material, although not guaranteed to ever make the team because of the over-abundance of great forwards in the west. Still if the Mavs put together another 60 win season with Howard playing like he is now, I don't think all-NBA 3rd team is at all a stretch.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #14
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough

its hard to say i was wrong, its hard to say i miss you... since youve been gone its not been the same...its hard to say ive held my tongue...its hard to say IF ONLY... since youve been gone ive not been the same...
StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:19 AM   #15
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

The day's news just what doctor ordered

Mavs practice reveals healthier Dirk, happier mentor

By BRAD TOWNSEND / The Dallas Morning News

There was double-positive news Monday for Mavericks fans who hope to see Dirk Nowitzki at his optimum during the NBA Finals.

He appeared to be recovering from the unspecified illness that hit him late in the Phoenix series. And his mentor, Holger Geschwindner, was back at Mavericks practice.

Geschwindner has been with the team during most of the playoffs, but he briefly had to return to his and Nowitzki's native Germany.

"This time," a smiling Geschwindner said, "I have a permit from back home that I could stay."

Mentor and pupil have said little about Geschwindner's legal issues last summer in Germany. For five weeks, he was jailed on tax-evasion charges while prosecutors investigated whether he had failed to declare money he received from No- witzki. He was released in August.

When asked how much Nowitzki's support and friendship meant to him during that period, Geschwindner indicated the legal issue is behind him.

"Dirk was perfect," he said. "He never had one second of doubt. He did all the moves that were necessary to get the problem out of the way."

More pertinent to the NBA Finals and the Miami Heat, Geschwindner held in his hand Monday some plays he diagrammed while watching Mavericks coach Avery Johnson run practice.

"I have a great opportunity to watch these guys practice, and I try to figure out what Avery expects in the next series," Geschwindner said. "So I did my homework and designed a few exercises we will do tonight."

Geschwindner said his individual workouts with Nowitzki varied greatly in concept between the San Antonio and Phoenix series.

"Now we have a totally new approach," Geschwindner said. "The big guy [Shaquille O'Neal] is coming. We'll see how it will work."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Geschwinder is such a mad scientist

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 06-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #17
Geschwinder

Geschwinder is on a distinguished road
Wink

oh, actually, I think I am pretty cool ;-)
Geschwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #18
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geschwinder
oh, actually, I think I am pretty cool ;-)
Please get off your %*&^ and go work with Dirk! This ain't no time to be cool out here... leave that to us mere mortals.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #19
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Assistant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
The day's news just what doctor ordered

Mavs practice reveals healthier Dirk, happier mentor

By BRAD TOWNSEND / The Dallas Morning News

There was double-positive news Monday for Mavericks fans who hope to see Dirk Nowitzki at his optimum during the NBA Finals.

He appeared to be recovering from the unspecified illness that hit him late in the Phoenix series. And his mentor, Holger Geschwindner, was back at Mavericks practice.

Geschwindner has been with the team during most of the playoffs, but he briefly had to return to his and Nowitzki's native Germany.

"This time," a smiling Geschwindner said, "I have a permit from back home that I could stay."

Mentor and pupil have said little about Geschwindner's legal issues last summer in Germany. For five weeks, he was jailed on tax-evasion charges while prosecutors investigated whether he had failed to declare money he received from No- witzki. He was released in August.

When asked how much Nowitzki's support and friendship meant to him during that period, Geschwindner indicated the legal issue is behind him.

"Dirk was perfect," he said. "He never had one second of doubt. He did all the moves that were necessary to get the problem out of the way."

More pertinent to the NBA Finals and the Miami Heat, Geschwindner held in his hand Monday some plays he diagrammed while watching Mavericks coach Avery Johnson run practice.

"I have a great opportunity to watch these guys practice, and I try to figure out what Avery expects in the next series," Geschwindner said. "So I did my homework and designed a few exercises we will do tonight."

Geschwindner said his individual workouts with Nowitzki varied greatly in concept between the San Antonio and Phoenix series.

"Now we have a totally new approach," Geschwindner said. "The big guy [Shaquille O'Neal] is coming. We'll see how it will work."
Why not just hire this guy as an assistant? Then again, he's there anyway giving his services for free.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:44 PM   #20
DtownMavs

DtownMavs is on a distinguished road

great article

Josh Howard, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Diop, & Devin Harris FTW.
DtownMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I love josh and he has been great in this series but tap the breaks. Wade is still a good bit better than he is. Put it this was if the mavs had wade and the heat had josh does anyone think there is anyway that even one game is close? I still expect the mavs to win in somehwere between 4 and 6 but josh isnt in the same tier as wade.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #22
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I love josh and he has been great in this series but tap the breaks. Wade is still a good bit better than he is. Put it this was if the mavs had wade and the heat had josh does anyone think there is anyway that even one game is close? I still expect the mavs to win in somehwere between 4 and 6 but josh isnt in the same tier as wade.
No he isn't but the gap isn't as big as what people might think.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I would say the gap is about the same size to slightly larger than the gap between dirk and sheed.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I would say the gap is about the same size to slightly larger than the gap between dirk and sheed.
That's a pretty good analogy. I like that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
If Devin doesn't start taking and knocking down the open 16-footer he's going to be useless until next year. By game 6 of the Suns series Nash just backing into to the paint as soon as he saw the screen coming.
Useless is a bit harsh. Even if Devin can't hit the jumper, his presence on the court creates something else for the Heat to think about, and I think he can still be very helpful on defense even if he isn't scoring.

Long-term, I'm not worried about Devin's jumper at all. In 04-05, he showed that he had the ability to hit jumpshots (.449 eFG% for the year). This year, Avery had him so focused on getting to the rim, I think he neglected that aspect of his game. With some offseason work, I think he'll bring his mid-range jumper and even long-range shot back around. When he starts to knock out the mid-range shot consistently, he's a 20 ppg scorer.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #26
banpeikun

banpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Old news-- Josh is inconsistent and sometimes overly passionate but I've had nothing but respect for his big brass ones since he embarassed KG. That was 2 seasons ago I think
I was in Dallas for Thanksgiving 2003, and I think that's the same game you're talking about. I got tickets to watch MIN@DAL and I really thought that was Josh Howard's breakout game. He had like a free throw jumper, a 3 pter, and then a driving layup or pullup or something. He was so hot in that second half Nellie made sure he had a touch every possession, even getting him to bring the ball up. Before that I had no idea who he was.
banpeikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

More good stuff from Fisher (can't believe I just said that)
Quote:
Inside Mavs' Tuesday 'Fake GameDay'
by Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com

Assorted notes and quotes from my Tuesday morning with the Mavs. …

FAKE GAMEDAY:“How much hotter can something get once it’s ‘white hot’?’’ asks veteran assistant coach Del Harris as a way of explaining the Mavs’ attempts to make this NBA Finals Tuesday “just another Tuesday.’’
And so far (the morning shootaround just ended as I write this) it is just another Tuesday – not counting the hordes of camera, the potentially suffocating pressure and the scheduling of a “fake game’’ for tonight.
“We’re simulating game day,’’ explains coach Avery Johnson. “A shootaround in the morning, the afternoon off, ands then tonight, the nine guys in the rotation will play a game against what is essentially a Miami scout team.’’
I reported yesterday whispers of a “two-a-day’’ session, and it’s a wise concept; with all the time between now and Thursday’s Game 1, the Mavs are trying to feel the usual rhythm of a season by pretending there is a game tonight.
It’s a psychological ploy to deal with the perception of pressure, as Harris explains.
“If you’re in Phoenix, and it’s 110 degrees or it’s 111 degrees, what’s the difference?’’ Harris says. “Once you get to this level, the pressure is the same.’’

STARTING LINEUP: I speculated on Monday that DeSagana Diop and Adrian Griffin would likely be in the starting lineup for Game 1. Avery is on record regarding a first-team assignment for Diop. You’ll have to trust me on Griff, and know this: When the Mavs went blue vs. white during the morning workout, the blues were Dirk, JET, J-Ho. … and Diop and Griff.

‘THAT’S CUBAN!:’’ Media folks, mostly out-of-towners, have spent the last two days trying to draw Mavs players into buying into the idea that owner Mark Cuban is anything but a positive for the franchise.
Mavs players aren’t biting.
A few have talked about what happened when the Mavs’ plane landed at Love Field over the weekend. About 5,000 Mavs showed up in the dark of morning and were thrilled to witness the team plane execute a “fly-by.’’ “Like in ‘Top Gun,’’’ Josh Howard said.
“That’s Cuban,’’ Howard added affectionately.
Jerry Stackhouse made a point to say that in previous stops in his career, there was no the-buck-stops-here approach from the owner because he rarely even saw the owner. Terry agreed.
“He’s part of things, he s available, he’s supportive,’’ Terry says. “There is an open-door policy with him. I’ve never seen that before. Plus, everything is first-class. He’s a big reason why we’re here.’’

SWEET EMOTION: Jason Terry, for one, says he will not try to “control’’ his emotions.
“I’m an emotional guy,’’ he says. “I’m going to let my emotions flow. My teammates look to me for emotional leadership. Me, DA, Devin. … but mostly me. It starts with me.’’

ASSORTED OBSERVATIONS: The blues (the starters took their free throws at one end of the AAC court. The whites were at the other end. As a sign of status, Jerry Stackhouse – technically a non-starter and a white – nevertheless hung with the blues. … While Howard was shooting his free throws, Dirk playfully snuck up behind him and hooted. A startled J-Ho missed the shot. A playful Dirk snickered and trotted away. … To close the session, Darrell Armstrong took over, calling everyone together for a chant of “1-2-3 Win!’’ But Avery had to get in the last word. “Stay focused!’’ he barked.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #28
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2
Why not just hire this guy as an assistant? Then again, he's there anyway giving his services for free.
Absolutely no income to declare.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #29
V2M
Diamond Member

“We’re simulating game day,’’ explains coach Avery Johnson. “A shootaround in the morning, the afternoon off, ands then tonight, the nine guys in the rotation will play a game against what is essentially a Miami scout team.’’

I suspect Diop/Dirk/Grif/JHo/Jet are the starters and Damp/Stack/Devin are the next 3 off the bench... if so, who'd be the 9th guy for this series: KVH or Quis?

Unless KVH dramatically improves since his PHX outing, I say go with Quis. He's done a fine job containing Wade in the 2 games we played against 'em.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #30
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Useless is a bit harsh. Even if Devin can't hit the jumper, his presence on the court creates something else for the Heat to think about, and I think he can still be very helpful on defense even if he isn't scoring.

Long-term, I'm not worried about Devin's jumper at all. In 04-05, he showed that he had the ability to hit jumpshots (.449 eFG% for the year). This year, Avery had him so focused on getting to the rim, I think he neglected that aspect of his game. With some offseason work, I think he'll bring his mid-range jumper and even long-range shot back around. When he starts to knock out the mid-range shot consistently, he's a 20 ppg scorer.
It probably is a bit harsh. It was just frustrating to watch PXH take him out of the series offensively by having Nash go under the pick. That's almost unheard when the pick is being set 16 or 17 feet from the basket. They’re basically giving him a FT. He has to take that shot.

You’re preaching to the choir about his long term prospects as a shooter. I've said before, the reason he struggles sometimes is the fact that he never shoots….we see the same thing with Parker. They’re so good at getting to the rim that they have a hard time getting in rhythm from outside.

I tend to think that if you can shoot in college, you can shoot in the pro’s (the exception being guys who can’t get they’re shot off), and Devin’s college numbers from behind line are comparable to JT’s.

The bottom line is, he has to make teams guard him and not let the opposing PG play free safety.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #31
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Long range is a whole other story, but Devin's midrange shot has been as effecitive as anyone's on the team when he's actually taken it. There's no friggin way his midrange game is less effective than Howard's if he'd just take shots when he has them. Something AJ's definitely got to work on in the offseason.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-06-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #32
sike
The Preacha

like spiral said...I remember quite a few of those jumpers going down....

but there is no dobut that he has some sort of mental block about it....he is just too hesitant.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #33
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Quote:
While Howard was shooting his free throws, Dirk playfully snuck up behind him and hooted. A startled J-Ho missed the shot. A playful Dirk snickered and trotted away.
How can anyone not love Dirk?
iella is offline   Reply With Quote