Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-28-2002, 06:57 AM   #1
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

Didn't Portand show the world how to beat Dallas? You double team Nash and make Fin the primary ballhandler. It was scary how that worked out for Portland.

It behooves Nellie to come up with a counter measure or risk the old quick exit from the playoffs. If the Mavs stay in the playoffs, it looks like, the way the Blazers are playing now, that someone is going to have to deal with Portland. At any rate, the Mavs got exposed in that Portland game. Look for Nash to receive lots of double teaming.

How are the Mavs going to counter that move? Fin? I don't think so. They need another ballhandlerin the game with Nash. Who would that be? My guess is Nick Van Exel. They need to get Nick on his game for the playoffs.

Nellie can't worry about the here and now if he's going to end his career long trend of not doing anything in the post season. He better have a ballhandler to counter that double team of Nash.

Cheeks may have done the Mavs a favor and tipped his hand in the regular season. Thanks Maurice! Now if Nellie can just do something about it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2002, 08:26 AM   #2
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

<<
How are the Mavs going to counter that move? Fin? I don't think so. They need another ballhandlerin the game with Nash. Who would that be? My guess is Nick Van Exel. They need to get Nick on his game for the playoffs.
>>

I agree David. Even though NVE has been off his game a little, I can sense that he is stepping up his game. The quote at the end of the Bucks game:
&quot;These guys don't get upset if you take shots,&quot; Van Exel said. &quot;They get upset when
I'm not playing aggressive and not attacking. Once I get that drilled into my head,
I'll be fine.&quot;

says it all.

I see the Mavs going more and more with the rotation of Nash and NVE on the court when the double team is on Nash.

Now, we just need to combat the physicality put on us by these such teams and we will be on the way.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 02:04 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

way to beat the mavs in the post season.. score more points
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 02:07 PM   #4
MackJack

MackJack is on a distinguished road

Yea blame Fin for the lost, which is total BS. The Mavs lost because Por scored more points and outplayed us. They were the better team that night, and showed it. They are the deepest team in the league from 1-12.
MackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 02:19 PM   #5
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

He didn't blame Fin for the loss. He simply pointed out that if Nash is double-teamed and taken out of the game, Finley's ball-handling is not good enough for him to take over the point guard duties. .Finley is an all-star shooting guard and/or small forward. He's not a point
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 06:16 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

it does seem that the way to take the mavs out of their game a bit is to double up on nash and limit his penetration.
what do you do next?
play NVE more alongside nash so that when nash is doubled, the ball can be swung to another PG?
that might work.
put in another shooter so when nash is doubled, someone is always open?

well, maybe i'm oversimplifying it..but, i think you put another ball handler into the game..

i agree..fin isn't best suited for handling the ball in high pressure situations. he's not a PG..he's a SG and SF. so it's not a knock on him... it's just deciding what the best strategy for the mavs is
Old 03-28-2002, 06:18 PM   #7
MackJack

MackJack is on a distinguished road

I believe we all know that, and don't you think Nellie knows that? Nash double teamed and Fin handling the ball was really irrelavent that night. The Mavs would have gotten their asses handed to them regardless. Por played pretty good that night, and the Mavs didn't. Theirs alot more to it, than just Fin having to handle the ball more.
MackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 06:57 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if Nellie has a plan to counter the double team on Nash but didn't want to reveal it during a regular season game. Plus he might have wanted to see if the team could compensate without tricks. Nellie will have a plan - he's a genius (most of the time anyway).
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 08:13 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

there's really more to it?
hmm..i never thought of that.
i didn't say that finley handling the ball too much is what caused the mavs to lose, no one said that.
simply saying that the blazers doubling down hard on nash is a huge part of the problem
Old 03-28-2002, 08:17 PM   #10
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< I believe we all know that, and don't you think Nellie knows that? Nash double teamed and Fin handling the ball was really irrelavent that night. The Mavs would have gotten their asses handed to them regardless. Por played pretty good that night, and the Mavs didn't. Theirs alot more to it, than just Fin having to handle the ball more. >>

Portland started hot, double teamed Nash and then played the passing lanes. Fin threw the ball away quite a bit. The Mavs win on Nash penetrating and going to the hole or dishing off. If teams take that away, the Mavs are in unfamiliar territory. NVE gives them another legit ballhandler. Fin is a good player but only average as a ballhandler and CERTAINLY no point guard.
David is offline   Reply With Quote