Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 2006 Tour de France

Well, the Tour gets underway tomorrow. And not only will there be a guaranteed new winner this year, there will also be a guaranteed new 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place as well.

Contenders Ullrich, Basso barred from Tour de France
ESPN.com news services

STRASBOURG, France -- The Tour de France was stripped of three of its biggest names on Friday after Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo were named in a doping investigation in Spain.

The decision to prevent those cyclists and others from racing threw the sport's premier race into upheaval the day before it begins.

Basso finished second in last year's Tour behind American Lance Armstrong, now retired. Ullrich was third and Mancebo fourth.

Tour director Christian Prudhomme said the organizers' determination to fight doping was "total."

"The enemy is not cycling, the enemy is doping," he said.

Riders being excluded will not be replaced, meaning a smaller field than the 189 racers originally expected.

It's the biggest doping crisis to the hit the sport since the Festina scandal in 1998 nearly derailed the Tour. The Festina team was ejected from the race after customs officers found a large stash of banned drugs in a team car.

Doping in cycling
2006: Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo withdrawn from the Tour de France after they are named in a doping investigation in Spain.
2005: Spaniard Roberto Heras is banned for two years for testing positive for EPO in the Tour of Spain, which he won.
2004: Three riders are prevented from starting the Tour de France. Two others are kicked out the race after doping investigations. Britain's David Millar later admits to taking the blood booster erythropoietin.
1998: Festina cycling team expelled in the first week of the Tour de France after a team car was found loaded with performance-enhancing drugs. Festina rider Richard Virenque of France is later banned for six months after admitting doping.
1982: Winner of the Tour of Spain, Spanish rider Angel Arroyo, is disqualified after testing positive for amphetamines.
1967: Briton Tommy Simpson dies on a hill climb during the Tour de France. A vial containing an amphetamine was found.
-- Reuters

Basso, winner of the Giro d'Italia, and Ullrich -- the 1997 Tour winner and a five-time runner-up -- were among more than 50 cyclists said to have been implicated in a Spanish doping probe that has rocked the sport for weeks.

Basso, Mancebo and Ullrich's teams said Friday that because their names had come up in the probe they were being withdrawn from the Tour. Ullrich's T-Mobile squad said it also suspended rider Oscar Sevilla and sporting director Rudi Pevenage because of their involvement.

Basso was returning to Italy, his team said.

Tour officials did not immediately say how many other riders were barred from the race.

The Spanish doping scandal erupted in May when police carried out arrests and raids, seizing drugs and frozen blood thought to have been prepared for banned, performance-enhancing transfusions.

Since then, the names of riders said to have had contacts with Eufemiano Fuentes, a doctor among those arrested, have leaked in Spanish media. Ullrich was among those named.

Then, after more leaks Thursday, Spanish authorities released details from the probe to Tour organizers and other cycling bodies, showing which riders were implicated in the investigation. It was on the basis of that official information that Tour teams decided to act.

T-Mobile received information implicating Ullrich, Sevilla and Pevenage from Tour organizers, including documents from the Spanish government, team spokesman Luuc Eisenga said.

"The only thing I can tell you is that the information is clear enough and didn't leave any doubt," he said.

Another T-Mobile spokesman, Stefan Wagner, told Germany's n-tv television that the team was acting on information indicating "that there was contact between the two riders and Rudi Pevenage and the Spanish doctor ... who is at the center of this doping story."

Asked whether T-Mobile would consider cutting ties with Ullrich completely, he replied "certainly ... we are now demanding evidence of his innocence."

"If this evidence can be provided, then we have a completely new situation," he said. "If it cannot be provided, nothing will change about this situation."

The extent of Basso's implication was not immediately clear. But his team said the suspicion hanging over him would have made his participation in the Tour difficult.

"It would be big chaos if those riders remain in the race," said the manager of Basso's team, Bjarne Riis. "We have to protect cycling."

Two Spanish cycling teams -- Astana-Wurth and Comunidad Valenciana -- have also been implicated. Comunidad Valenciana had its invitation to compete in the Tour rescinded, but the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled Thursday that the Astana-Wurth team -- which includes favorite Alexandre Vinokourov -- could not be excluded from the race.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

whoa. I would have watched towards the end but now I just don't care anymore.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I've always loved the Tour De France. However, professional cycling is the dirtiest sport ever with the lone exception of bodybuilding (if you can even call that a sport). This sport is all about cheating. Always has been and always will be. I don't understand why the French are so dead set on nailing Armstrong after the fact when just about every rider and team cheats. I don't know if Lance doped. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. Yet again, it wouldn't surprise me if he never cheated.

It seems rather risky to use performance enhancers when you are tested every week and the health risks are so catastrophic. Yet, here we are with 2 of the best cyclists and tour favorites implicated in doping. Not surprised one damned bit. Many of the professional riders have passed away or had their health completely ruined using these damned things. It is almost to the point of needing to eliminate the sport.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Lance Scoreboards some Frog named Marie.

July 19, 2006
Armstrong’s Comments Ruffle Some Feathers at Tour

By EDWARD WYATT
L’ALPE D’HUEZ, France, July 18 — Lance Armstrong said Tuesday that the doping scandal that erupted before this year’s Tour de France “never would have happened on our watch,” a period in which he was the de facto leader of the professional cycling world with seven consecutive victories in the Tour.

Armstrong spoke at a news conference after Tuesday’s 15th stage. He said that when he heard that the four riders who finished behind him in last year’s Tour would not race this year after they or their teams were linked to doping allegations in Spain, he remembered remarks earlier in the year by Jean-Marie Leblanc, the Tour’s director.

At the presentation of this year’s route, Leblanc said that the Tour was looking forward to an era without the domination of a single rider, alluding to Armstrong. When the announcements of the rider suspensions came, Armstrong said, he placed a telephone call to Leblanc.

Armstrong recalled saying to Leblanc: “Hey, I wanted to wish you luck and I’m sorry this happened. I know you are happy to see us move on, but I just want you to know this never would have happened on our watch.” Armstrong said Leblanc quickly ended the call, and the two have not talked since.

A spokesman for the organization that owns the Tour said Leblanc could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening.

Armstrong, who said he was visiting the Tour as a team owner and a cycling fan, has also been critical of Floyd Landis in the years since Landis left Armstrong’s team to try to win the Tour de France on his own.
But Armstrong said Tuesday that he and Landis had reconciled. Armstrong spoke after Landis regained the yellow jersey of the race leader. He echoed similar comments by Landis on Monday. Landis said that while the two “had some difficulties” over the past year or two, he hoped to see Armstrong at this year’s race.

Armstrong is a part owner of the Discovery Channel team, which was sponsored by the United States Postal Service when Landis rode for three years as his teammate. Armstrong also said he believed that Landis was riding well enough to win the Tour.

“I think he has a great chance,” Armstrong said. “I think if I was a betting man, I’d certainly put my money there right now. And I’m happy about that, just for the record. I know that Floyd and I have gone through this whole cycle of, on the team, off the team, a little friction here and there.”

“But for me, he’s American,” Armstrong added. “It is great for American cycling, and I’d love to see the jersey stay in the States.”

Asked what he did to smooth over relations with Landis, Armstrong said: “I don’t think it was ever as bad as some people thought. It was just some follow-up discussions to clarify some things.”

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 07-18-2006 at 07:30 PM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Go Landis!!!!!

F the french.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

What's the Tour de France without Lance?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Landis dropped from 1 to 11.

The Tour de Farce continues....and yes I meant to type it that way. It's a joke without Lance and the other top riders.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 AM   #8
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I just read that the yellow jersey switched 10 times during the tour so far, more than in each tour of the last 50 years or so. I think the unpredictability makes this a very special tour.

Expert say the German Kloeden has the best chances now, cause he's better than the others in the last time trail. Let's see.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

This tour sucks.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:34 AM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

This tour is like Thursday night high school footballl---Jay Vee.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Go Landis!!!!!

F the french.

Oui Oui!! .... I mean yeah, F the French.

Stupid French bastards with their toast and their maids, and their kissing....fries...
Old 07-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #12
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

I understand the "jay vee" reference, after all the cream of the crop were DQ and retired.

but the tour remains the tour. the riders still do the mountains. the same grueling 3 week marathon.

landis and his injury make a great story. I'm not sure we'll see landis compete post hip replacement.

Last edited by Mavdog; 07-22-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Like I said earlier...this tour sucks.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Hmmm....

Landis test positive for illegal substance:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf200...ory?id=2531225
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Default Suspicious.

Tour De France Winner Tests Positive for High Levels of Testosterone

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: July 27, 2006
LONDON (AP) -- Tour de France champion Floyd Landis tested positive for high levels of testosterone during the race, his Phonak team said Thursday on its Web site.

The statement came a day after the UCI, cycling's world governing body, said an unidentified rider had failed a drug test during the Tour.

The Swiss-based Phonak team said it was notified by the UCI on Wednesday that Landis' sample showed "an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone" when he was tested after stage 17 of the race last Thursday.

Landis made a remarkable comeback in that Alpine stage, racing far ahead of the field for a solo win that moved him from 11th to third in the overall standings. He regained the leader's yellow jersey two days later.

"The team management and the rider were both totally surprised of this physiological result," the Phonak statement said.

Phonak said Landis would ask for an analysis of his backup "B" sample "to prove either that this result is coming from a natural process or that this is resulting from a mistake."

Landis has been suspended by his team pending the results. If the second sample confirms the initial finding, he will be fired from the team, Phonak said.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 07-27-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #16
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

So who gets the title now?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
So who gets the title now?
My understanding is that the French have decided to proclaim Charles de Gaulle the champion, just so a Frenchman will have won the title recently.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 07-27-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This is so stupid. What an idiot. .

Stay in France is those idiots Floyd.....you idiot.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:59 AM   #19
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
This is so stupid. What an idiot. .

Stay in France is those idiots Floyd.....you idiot.
Frankly, my intuition would be to be highly suspicious of the testing process.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #20
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

very unfortunate.

it seems unlikely that landis would utilize testosterone in an attempt to cheat, it is easily tested for as I understand.

but then riders have done stupid things like this in the past and landis would just be another in a long trail.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Well this pisses me off.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
July 19, 2006
Armstrong’s Comments Ruffle Some Feathers at Tour

By EDWARD WYATT
L’ALPE D’HUEZ, France, July 18 — Lance Armstrong said Tuesday that the doping scandal that erupted before this year’s Tour de France “never would have happened on our watch,” a period in which he was the de facto leader of the professional cycling world with seven consecutive victories in the Tour.
Seems that Lance was pretty right on about this. Ever since he left, it's been one doper after another. Not even a thread since he left and some french folks advocating closing it down.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #23
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Armstrong was also under suspicion of doping several times, they only couldn´t convict him. Probably the methods for detection were not as good as today. I don´t believe Armstrong if he says he never was doped. I don´t believe anyone in cycling any longer. As long as they don´t do something against it, cycling lost it´s credibility and is no longer a sport for me.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
Armstrong was also under suspicion of doping several times, they only couldn´t convict him. Probably the methods for detection were not as good as today. I don´t believe Armstrong if he says he never was doped. I don´t believe anyone in cycling any longer. As long as they don´t do something against it, cycling lost it´s credibility and is no longer a sport for me.
Lance would say prove it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #25
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

I say too late.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #26
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

So everyone Armstrong beat over the years did drugs but Armstrong was clean? LOL sure.

As for Landis. The use of Testosteron is highly popular among professional athletes because it´s pretty easy to camouflage (I don´t know the english word but what you need to camouflage testosteron is called "epi-testosteron" in german). You have to make a mistake in the process to leave a chance of getting caught. Like Landis did last year and Sinkewitz this year.

Here´s an article about Armstrong doing EPO. There´s little doubt he did it, the test just doesn´t have any legal consequences cause there´s no B-sample available:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"L'Equipe alleges Armstrong samples show EPO use in 99 Tour

This report filed August 23, 2005

Lance Armstrong has vigorously denied allegations outlined in Tuesday's edition of the French sports daily L'Equipe charging that the seven-time Tour de France champion used the performance-enhancing drug EPO to help him achieve his first Tour victory in 1999.

Armstrong denies charges outlined in Tuesday's L'Equipe

"Yet again, a European newspaper has reported that I have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs," Armstrong said in a statement on www.lancearmstrong.com.

"L'Equipe , a French sports daily, is reporting that my 1999 samples were positive. Unfortunately the witch hunt continues and the article is nothing short of tabloid journalism.

"I will simply restate what I have said many times: I have never taken performance enhancing drugs."

But his domination of the race since 1999, 18 months after his spectacular recovery from testicular cancer, has always aroused suspicion in France, which developed stringent anti-doping laws after the 1998 Tour was all but wrecked by doping scandals.

L'Equipe devoted four pages to its allegations, with the front-page headline "The Armstrong Lie." The paper said that signs of EPO use were found in six urine samples submitted by the American during the 1999 race.

The governing body of world cycling did not begin using a urine test for EPO until 2001. For years, it had been impossible to detect the drug, called erythropoietin, which builds endurance by boosting the production of oxygen-rich red blood cells.

The tests on 1999 urine samples were done last year to help scientists improve their detection methods, the paper said.

L'Equipe said it matched urine samples from that Tour with medical statements signed by doctors, claiming that there were "characteristic, undeniable and consequent" signs of EPO in Armstrong's urine tests.

A spokesman for the World Anti-Doping Agency told VeloNews Tuesday that the agency does "not have enough information at the moment," adding that "it would be premature for us to comment on the specifics of this case."

The newspaper said the tests were carried out by the national anti-doping laboratory in Châtenay-Malabry, where the urine test for EPO was originally developed. An official at the lab declined to comment on the report.

L'Equipe , whose parent company is closely linked to the Tour, has frequently raised questions about how Armstrong could have made his spectacular comeback from testicular cancer without using performance enhancers. L'Equipe is owned by the Amaury Group whose subsidiary, Amaury Sport Organization, organizes the Tour de France and other sporting events.

A former L'Equipe journalist, Pierre Ballester, was co-author of a book published last year that contained doping allegations against Armstrong. Ballester teamed up with award-winning Sunday Times sportswriter David Walsh.

In the book, "L.A. Confidential, the Secrets of Lance Armstrong," one of the cyclist's former assistants claimed that Armstrong once asked her to dispose of used syringes and give him makeup to conceal needle marks on his arms. At other points in the book, Walsh charged that Armstrong had admitted to using performance-enhancing substances in a meeting with doctors soon after learning that he had testicular cancer in 1996.

Armstrong has since sued The Sunday Times for libel after the British newspaper reprinted allegations in a review of the book in June of 2004. After a series of back-and-forth court decisions, the case is scheduled to go to trial in London's High Court in November.

Tuesday's revelations may give a big boost to the defense in the Times case as well as to the arguments put forward by attorneys representing a Texas insurance firm which has declined to pay Armstrong $5million for his sixth Tour voctory in 2004. The firm, SCA promotions, had delayed payment until company officials were satisfied that the allegations in the Wash/Ballester book were not true. Armstrong sued to recover the funds, but the case is as of yet unresolved.

Some studies have shown that a significant increase in red blood cell populations - hematocrit - can result in a performance boost of as much as 20 percent, substantial in a three-week event often decided by mere seconds. While the UCI had established an upper limit on hematocrit of 50 percent in 1997, it wasn't until 2001 that the UCI used the urine test developed at the Châtenay-Malabry laboratory at the Tour.

Researchers at Châtenay-Malabry decided last year to retest urine samples, taken in 1998 and 1999, to fine-tune the testing system, according to the report. No indication was given in the story as to why there was a delay in revealing the results or about any preservation or safeguarding methods regarding the samples and their handling.

The newspaper said 12 samples had revealed EPO use, including six from Armstrong. It did not identify to which cyclists the other six positive urine samples belonged.

"Of course it cannot be regarded as a positive test in the strict regulatory sense," the newspaper said, claiming that there was no question of sanctions as a result of the findings.

But it said the findings could have consequences, with the World Anti-doping Agency studying possible legal channels. L'Equipe said that the new revelations could also be raised with the U.S.

Anti-Doping Agency.

Throughout his career only one test showed indications of the presence of doping products. In the 1999 Tour, a urine sample showed small traces of cortico-steroids. Armstrong was cleared, however, when his U.S. Postal team, produced a medical certificate showing that he used a cream to ease the pain of a saddle sore. Even that sample, however, was below the levels that would have triggered a positive result at the time.

French suspicions were further fuelled in 2001 when Walsh reported in the Sunday Times that Armstrong had been working with notorious Italian sports doctor Michele Ferrari, suspected in Italy of distributing and administering banned products to a number of top athletes.

In an interview with the Italian sports daily, La Gazzetta dello Sport, released the day before publication of Walsh's report, Armstrong mentioned his "periodic collaboration" with Ferrari, who last year was handed a one-year suspended sentence for sports fraud. Upon the doctor's conviction, Armstrong officially cut ties with Ferrari.

Armstrong denied taking banned drugs during a speech marking his retirement on the Champs-Élysées in July, saying people who did not believe in his success did not believe "in miracles, in dreams."

Last edited by Fidel; 07-29-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #27
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

One more thing. Armstrong was allways under suspicion. Actually most cycling fans in Germany felt that Ullrich was the "good, clean" guy and Armstrong the bad guy. Learning that everyone at the Tour did drugs made me happy somehow as strange as it might sound. I respect Armstrong alot more now simply because he was the best. They were all on par I guess when it comes to doping so ultimately the best rider won. I´m not against Armstrong any more I just think it´s foolish to suggest the person who dominated the tour 7 straight years was also the only person who didn´t do drugs.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #28
dude1394
Guru

Well I guess we should string up vick as well, since he's obviously guilty.

Never tested positive, but he's a doper, sounds like sour grapes to me.