Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Official Pops Mensah-Bonsu Bandwagon Thread

Let's get this bandwagon rolling! Here is an article from last year, when he withdraw his name from the draft:

Quote:
It's a Slam Dunk: Pops Mensah-Bonsu Withdraws From NBA Draft, Will Return to GW for His Senior Year

Quotes from Tuesday's Press Conference

June 21, 2005

Pops' Opening Statement:
"Today, I have decided to take my name out of the NBA Draft and return for my senior season at George Washington. I think my decision was based on the fact that I want to get my degree and I also want to return to GW and help the team be better in hopes of going back to the NCAA Tournament. Hopefully, we can win the A-10 Championship again and I also want to graduate with the class I came in here with. When I had to make that decision, I felt it wasn't that hard for me to do so, because I am close with a lot of my teammates and the NBA is going to be there next year. I feel real positive about coming back to GW for one more year."

Media: A lot of players wrestle with the decision to stay in the draft right up until the deadline. When did you know your decision?

Pops: "I had a pretty good camp and a lot of good workouts with the teams. I received a lot of positive feedback. But, because of the amount of underclassmen that declared for the draft this year, the odds of me being a first round pick were just not that great. With the age-limit requirement in the NBA in place next year and one more year under my belt to develop my game, I feel that I will be a lot more NBA-ready after this coming season. The decision was not hard because I am not a kid just out for the money. I basically went to camp to see how I fared against some of the best players in the country and in the world. I went there knowing that if played well, then I'd feel pretty good about myself afterwards and go from there. If anything happened after that, then it would be a plus."

Media: What teams did you work out for?

Pops: "I worked out for the Wizards, Knicks, Suns, Sonics, Pistons, Timberwolves and the Golden State Warriors."

Media: By working out for those teams, what did you learn about NBA expectations and about yourself?

Pops: "I knew that I was already athletic, but still a bit raw. They knew I had the potential to be a more polished and skilled player and I showed glimpses of my ability to play in the post and hopefully one day, I can become a small forward in the NBA. After my workouts, they were obviously impressed with my athleticism, but maybe a little more impressed with how skilled I actually was overall. With the individual workouts, the teams saw that I was a little more talented and skilled than their initial perceptions."

Media: What role did your brother's agent play in your whole decision making process?

Pops: "He was my advisor. Everybody needs an advisor going into this situation to tell you what the teams are talking about and how they feel about you. My brother is my mentor. I tell him everything. He helped me with my college decision, my high school decision and especially with this decision. He's been through acquiring an agent and the whole pro process, so I think I benefited from his experiences. Some other players don't have a brother who plays professional basketball to show them what goes into the whole process. With him being there to guide me with my decision, it just helped me out throughout the whole process."

Media: How did the success of the program over the last couple of seasons play into your decision?

Pops: "It wasn't that hard of a decision for me to come back to school, because we went to the NCAA Tournament last year and won the A-10 Championship. I feel we are going to be just as good, if not better, than last year's team with the new players we have and the players we have returning. We can build on what we accomplished last season and actually make some real noise in the NCAA Tournament this coming season."

Media: What aspects of your game do you plan on improving during your senior campaign at GW?

Pops: "Becoming a more skilled and polished player. Everybody knows I can dunk and I am athletic. I felt that almost every basket I was able to get was a dunk. I have to show that I have a jump hook and a jump shot. I also want to show that I can play a little bit more defense. One of my major things I am going to work on is being a more disciplined defensive player, because I think I can help my team out a lot more if I would concentrate more on my defensive effort. Everybody knows I can score, but I feel if I work on my defense the scoring will come as a result and I'll be able to help my team a lot more."

Media: When did you actually make your decision to stay at GW?

Pops: "I'm not too sure. After the camp, I played well and any time someone plays well in a situation like that, you would think they would probably stay in the draft based on the feedback they received. Even though I played well, I heard from many reliable sources that if I returned to school I would have a good chance to be a first-round selection (next year). When you hear something like that from somebody you trust and believe, I felt to myself that I could wait. The NBA is always going to be there. You can only play college basketball once. I felt if I gave my eligibility up, that would be it. Like I said, there are a lot of positives for me returning to school such as graduating with the class I came in here with: Mike (Hall), Omar (Williams), Alex (Kireev) and Dokun (Akingbade).

"I came in with them when we were struggling and to go through the tough times and good times with those players, I think it wouldn't be too satisfactory if I broke up the group. We have one more year and to have a senior game with those guys would be the best feeling, and that helped in my decision. Every time I thought about coming back and going through practices with the team and how close I am with all my teammates, I knew it was the right decision to return. All my teammates are my best friends. I have 13 or 14 brothers on this team, that is how I see it. When I think about coming back and playing with them, it brings a smile to my face. I know I am going to graduate with those other four players and hopefully we are going to do some good things as far as basketball is concerned. When you think about how we went from being a mediocre team in the A-10 to finishing on top last year, look at the expectations for next year. Who knows what we can do? That definitely helped in my decision."

Media: When you first declared and saw so many entries, what did you think?

Pops: "At first, I thought it was taking away from something I was doing. Declaring for the draft is not something you just do. It's not something like, `I'm just going to declare for the draft because everybody else is doing it.' I was doing it because I think it is a privilege and it shows the status you have, and shows the hard work you have put in when you can say I'm going to declare for the NBA draft. To be able to declare for the NBA draft shows you have been working hard and people recognize that you can actually play and they want to see you at the next level. Going to the camp shows that you are one of the elite in the country. So when I did that and saw 108 underclassmen had declared, at first I felt that it took away from what I was doing, like everybody else just saw me as another underclassmen declaring for the draft trying to attain that NBA dream. When I saw there were 108 underclassmen, I thought the odds are not looking too great, and that was not including seniors, for 60 spots in the draft. For my personal goals, I actually wanted to be a first round pick. I could've left and hopefully been a second-round pick, but what if I would have been cut? I don't have my degree. I would have given up my last year of college eligibility and I didn't want to be in that position. I didn't want to take that chance. Even though I played well at camp, I didn't want to take that chance of being cut from an NBA team and not being able to come back and share the moments that my teammates are going to have. I'm chasing a dream and I feel with the team's success comes my success also. I feel if we win again and if we do what we did last year and build upon it, good things will happen for everybody on this team. And that includes the coaches down to every player on this team."
He seems like a great kid, with a ton of upside. Surprised to find out that his brother plays pro ball, and that he projects as a three. Love to hear him talk about his teammates and his priorities. This guy has MAVERICK written across his chest!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #2
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I saw something about him on TV when I was in the Washington area last year. He's a local hero around there. I expected him to be drafted, so I'm glad we got him on the summer league team. He seems like a much better prospect than that teammate of his that we traded to the Lakers.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Lets get him, and get rid of PPod. He sounds like he has tons of upside, and PPod is going nowhere.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Here's an article on Pops from the Washington Post. By the way, if we sign Pops and Pittsnoggle, we'll have the two best names in the NBA.

Pops and GW, in Concert
After Flirting With NBA, 'the Mayor' Is Back for Final Year

By Dan Steinberg
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 10, 2005; E01

On a cloudless day last week, Pops Mensah-Bonsu stood on a District street corner and began talking about Matt Leinart. How the Southern California quarterback gave up a chance to be the NFL's No. 1 pick for another year of college. How the Heisman Trophy winner was now the second-biggest thing in Los Angeles, behind only Kobe Bryant. How Leinart's return to college was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, a chance to bask in a final year of collegiate affection.

"You can't replace that when you go to the NFL," Mensah-Bonsu said. "I think he made the right decision."

As he stood on that corner, just outside the gymnasium where he made his name, several passing students greeted Foggy Bottom's closest approximation to Leinart. Like Leinart, Mensah-Bonsu considered turning professional after a successful junior season; he declared for the NBA draft and worked out for nine teams. Mensah-Bonsu's professional prospects were far less certain than Leinart's, and he too ultimately decided the pros could wait, returning to grateful George Washington teammates who have set their goals so high that they refuse to disclose what they are. Also like Leinart, Mensah-Bonsu returned to a grateful student body; in the first few weeks of school, he said, up to 20 students a day would thank him for his decision.

And like Leinart, Mensah-Bonsu is now living a college life almost too happy-go-lucky to be believed, in which dining-hall employees approach him for hugs, TV cameras follow him around campus and virtually every student knows his name.

"I haven't met someone yet who doesn't know who Pops Mensah-Bonsu is or can't recognize him; even the incoming freshmen who haven't seen a basketball game yet will say, 'Look, there's Pops,' " said Frank Dale, co-president of the Colonial Army, the student fan club. "He's pretty much the epitome of the phrase 'Big Man on Campus.' "

To be sure, such celebrity was not the only reason Mensah-Bonsu returned to school after averaging 12.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.5 blocks as a junior. There was the matter of his draft status: Some insiders told him he would be a late first-round pick, some said an early-to-mid second-round pick and some said he might not be drafted. He felt he did well during his individual workouts, but he wasn't willing to leave school without a sure shot at the guaranteed contracts given to first-rounders.

He consulted with Coach Karl Hobbs and several of his teammates throughout the spring and summer, finally calling Hobbs a few days before the deadline and telling of his plans to withdraw his name from the draft.

Still, Mensah-Bonsu told one teammate -- guard Danilo "J.R." Pinnock -- that he had decided to leave, and that the Miami Heat had virtually assured him he would be drafted.

"I was like, 'Awwwww, man,' " Pinnock said. "He said he was joking, and it was like a 100-pound weight was taken off my chest."

Coming back gave Mensah-Bonsu the chance to get the degree he had promised his parents, who live in England; he is pursuing a psychology degree and hopes to graduate this school year.

There was also the basketball opportunity left at George Washington, which has nearly every key piece back from a team that advanced to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1999. Mike Hall, Mensah-Bonsu's roommate for three years, flirted less seriously with the NBA before announcing he would also return to school. The Colonials are ranked 21st in the Associated Press preseason poll, the highest ranking of any area team, and one national writer has called them a Final Four contender.

Had Mensah-Bonsu left, "people would have still expected us to be good, but we would have had an excuse, a built-in excuse," Hall said. "Now, there's no excuse."

And coming back also offered Mensah-Bonsu the chance to revisit his larger-than-life on-campus persona, which has led Hobbs to dub his 6-foot-9, 240-pound forward "the Mayor."

"You see him walking down the campus, he's waving and shaking hands, he always looks like he's running for office," Hobbs said. "I would say he may be the most popular student here on campus."

Take the first day of the NBA season, for example, a day on which a camera crew from BET's "Maad Sports" arrived to film a day-in-the-life of Pops. The crew interviewed him in a courtyard; after that segment, freshman Joe Wall came up to shake Mensah-Bonsu's hand and wish him good luck. The crew followed Mensah-Bonsu on errands across campus, during which various school employees professed what a nice young man this was. The crew followed him into the campus food court, where one worker hugged him, another asked him whether he'd be playing for the Washington Wizards next season and several students waved.

"They might not know him personally, but everybody knows him," said sophomore Audie Fugett, a former walk-on with the women's basketball team.

His senior teammates said this is how it's been since Mensah-Bonsu was a freshman; they attribute his popularity to his effusive personality and his appealing first name. And newer teammates have quickly caught on. Transfer Cheyenne Moore said the first question he gets from GW students is, "Are you on the basketball team?" The second question is, "Do you know Pops?"

Mensah-Bonsu said he tries to be a regular student in other ways. He briefly played intramural soccer as a sophomore. He attends several men's soccer games a year and nearly every volleyball and women's basketball game, and he threw his support behind the student fan club's effort to draw more fans to the women's games.

He also knows life would be different if he were in the NBA. He wouldn't have a 19-inch TV, instead preferring an 84-inch projector screen. He wouldn't have a kitchen that he likens to an airplane cockpit. He wouldn't have spent the first night of the NBA season studying for a midterm exam in social psychology. He wouldn't have to walk across campus to sign for a monthly meal allowance of a few hundred dollars while the players he once auditioned against employ personal chefs.

Then again, if he were in the NBA, he would no longer be the Mayor of Foggy Bottom.

"When I was going to make my decision I made sure that it was my final decision. I wasn't going to have no regrets and no doubts or second thoughts," he said. "You've definitely got to experience the college life, you know what I'm saying? It only comes around once."
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

i've been on the bandwagon since I saw that ESPN feature about him. I also read that he is VERY raw. Ton of upside.

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:37 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

From rivals.com, an interview with his high-school coach in their "Before They Were Stars" series:

When's the first time you remember thinking Pops could play professionally someday?:

When I first saw him play he was a young kid. But he had a lot of atrtibutes you can't teach. He could absolutely jump out of the building. And he could block shots.

We've had a lot of good players, but we said he'd make it first. We knew right in the beginning.

What's your fondest game memory of him?:

Two things that stick out the most. The first was the state final his senior year. We were losing by 15 entering the fourth quarter against (Bergen Catholic) and the kid who went to Memphis, (Sean) Banks. We wound up losing by one at the buzzer.

He was blocking shots, tipping in dunks. He brought us back by himself. He just refused to lose. He played as well as he could play.

The other memory is from a rivalry game against Camden Catholic. We had a fast break, and Pops was on the wing. One of my players who went on to Princeton made this beautiful no-look pass that was going to be a dunk. And Pops tripped over his own feet. We still laugh about that one to this day. If you ask him if he remembers one play, that will be the one he'll bring up and laugh.

When's the last time you spoke with him?:

We had dinner with him a few weeks ago. We've kept in pretty close contact.

What are your predictions for his immediate basketball future?:

I hear second-round pick, maybe low first round. I've talked to three NBA teams so far, including San Antonio and the Knicks. They like his athleticism. He had a really good Chicago (NBA pre-draft camp) last year but decided at the last minute not to come out.

He's a great kid – I know that's what everybody says – but he has an infectious personality.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:39 AM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I'm on the bandwagon

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-02-2006, 02:30 AM   #8
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

Count me in!!

Last edited by mavsjunkie; 07-02-2006 at 02:33 AM.
mavsjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

My brother knows him. He said he's huge in person.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely on the Pops bandwagon!
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

I'm down
He's got the physical attributes. Needs to learn a few offensive moves and just keep playing with heart.

I'll hlep build that bandwagon. Lets get it done Donnie, make some room for 'the major', make room for Pops.

Last edited by foglemann; 07-02-2006 at 01:17 PM.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Drop the pod for pops.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Ok, I'd love to see a Benga/Pops combo comming off the bench.

Could you guys please post some more pics?

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto

Last edited by Arne; 07-02-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Windmill360; 07-02-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Someone on basketballboards.net said his last name literally means "whale killer." How badass is that?
Old 07-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #16
LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy is on a distinguished road

King of the Whale Killers, to be exact (which only ups the badass..ism). I remember that from an interview with him during the NCAA tourney this year.

Last edited by LaffyTaffy; 07-02-2006 at 06:19 PM.
LaffyTaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #17
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

The mostest badass'd King of Whale Killers.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #18
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity

The mostest badass'd King of Whale Killers.
nice. I kinda like it. he looks pretty scary. is there another summer league game in the area anytime soon so that I can check him out in person?

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Hey raeff, what do you think of Raeff going to Portland?

Old 07-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #20
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Hey raeff, what do you think of Raeff going to Portland?
omigosh, don't even get me started. he is such a good guy. that is the LAST place he belongs. I am happy that I will get to see him play us a bit more tho now that he is in the same conference. poor, poor Raef. wish Cuban would never have overpaid him and he could have stayed here a bit longer without so many fans wanting him shipped out.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:55 PM   #21
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

No thanks. Another spare in the making.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:13 PM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blab's Nemesis
No thanks. Another spare in the making.
Another spare in the making? We are quite possibly talking about the illegitimate lovechild of Jay Vincent and Roy Tarpley. Bite your tongue!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #23
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Another spare in the making? We are quite possibly talking about the illegitimate lovechild of Jay Vincent and Roy Tarpley. Bite your tongue!

haha. I can't take any person serious who has man-love for KVH..

Jay Vincent? Please.. one good year and one good playoff run against his former team, the Mav's.

Roy Tarpley? like the movie Top Gun - as good as it was, no sequel is a good thing a very good thing.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

And I have a hard time taking seriously those who struggle with basic syntax.

KVH was a valuable weapon for the Mavs when he was right. Sadly, he wasn't right during most of the playoff run. Yet his warrior mentality had him out there regardless. This is, I'm sure you will recognize, opposed to the injured thumb that kept Aguirre out of the most important game to that point in Mavericks franchise history.

It doesn't matter what you think of Vincent and Tarpley. May the sins of the fathers not be passed on the child. We are talking about a new generation!
Old 07-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually keith was exactly what the mavs needed when he was right. A big outside shooter. I really wish we could find one of those, it really puts a lot of pressure on the other team when they have to double dirk and he can kick it out to a guy who can actually hit a 3pointer. You know sort of like shaq/duncan does.

when he was right he/jason/dirk were the only 3point shooters on the team. But early in the year he was quite aggressive in replacing dirk, so much so that it wasn't just stackhouse only.

I really don't know what happened to the guy at the end of the year, but in the playoffs he looked as unaggressive as marquis, which was not good.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #26
Nemesis
Diamond Member

I have no idea what you are talking about most of the time in your convoluted rants about KVH But, it is entertaining to us all, no doubt. No harm, no foul, except if you name is D-Wade.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Actually keith was exactly what the mavs needed when he was right. A big outside shooter. I really wish we could find one of those, it really puts a lot of pressure on the other team when they have to double dirk and he can kick it out to a guy who can actually hit a 3pointer. You know sort of like shaq/duncan does.

when he was right he/jason/dirk were the only 3point shooters on the team. But early in the year he was quite aggressive in replacing dirk, so much so that it wasn't just stackhouse only.

I really don't know what happened to the guy at the end of the year, but in the playoffs he looked as unaggressive as marquis, which was not good.
So correct, dude. I have to believe that it was a combination of injury and gameplan. Many games he only got two or three shots. It was almost like if he didn't make his first one he was done for the night, as he wasn't getting any more. And this, on top of the fact that he was asked to defend their biggest guys on defense, and set screens on offense. It was just an odd, odd mix. If he didn't have the constant assignment to set screens, I believe he would have got himself in better position, more often, to catch and shoot threes. The Mavs offense for much of this postseason just was not at all geared to a perimeter gunner from the frountcourt. (Even Dirk.) The frontcourt guys had too many other responsibilities.

I still, to this day, say that KVH showed more BB IQ than the rest of the team, excepting Dirk, combined. He is a consummate pro.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #28
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure it was gameplan or keith taking himself out of it. I can't believe that.

1. Gameplan was for keith to not take wide open shots
or
2. To put the ball on the floor like he did all year
or
3. To get the ball in the post against a big guy to force him to guard him.

What I saw was him passing up shots, opportunities and just being really non-aggressive on offense. Now if he was hurting then he's taking a terrible, terrible ripping in the media and the mavs should be ashamed for letting that happen. I don't think they would do that, so I have to think it's between his ears. And if he can't step up at all in the playoffs, we found out and should just part ways because unless he's seeing Dr. Ruth or something, that's not going to go away.

In the playoffs I thought he played just like Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall did, tried not to do much so he wouldn't screw up. Really pissed me off because like you I thought we really needed him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-02-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #29
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I wish he would have passed up a lot more shot attempts... I cringed every time he took a three against a Spur. But this kid seems good... not great, i'd take him off the bench.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:59 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

I'm just saying that his role was not AT ALL well defined. If you want a guy to come in and gun threes for you, you don't run him all over the floor setting screens. You just don't. You don't.

As best I can tell it, they were trying for the best of both worlds from Keith. He tried to give it to them, in the limited opportunities they afforded him, and it didn't work out. But if anything, the Mavs failed Van Horn, not the other way round.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #31
dude1394
Guru

Wow chum...you are giving keith a ton of leeway there imo and a whole lot of ducking of responsiblity for his performance. So what if he's running screens all over the place. He still got wide open threes. He shot that terrible and he didnt' shoot anything else very well either.
34 and 29%. Yuck.

3fta's and 6.2 rebounds total.

Appears he didn't rebound worth a crap either.

And his performance just got progressively worse as the stage got bigger.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

Sample size, Dude. Anyone call tell you about sample size. Van Horn didn't get a very large sample. He was one-and-out, basically.

Mind you, while Terry and Howard were missing about 30 shots between them.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:09 AM   #33
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Sample size, Dude. Anyone call tell you about sample size. Van Horn didn't get a very large sample. He was one-and-out, basically.

Mind you, while Terry and Howard were missing about 30 shots between them.
Okay...but from my vantage point a lot of non-shots were self-inflicted. Unlike the previous poster I wanted him to shoot it when open and take it aggressively when not. I think that's why he was one and out and AJ had the short leash on him, he was just taking up space out there and not playing like a veteran.

I can't believe that AJ told him not to take open shots or open drives or don't get rebounds. I'm sure he did not.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:14 AM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

Dude, I watched him very closely in the playoffs. He was very careful not to take a shot unless it was a good one. I didn't see him pass up any good shots, just like I didn't see him take any bad ones.

He shot a low percentage, and that was that. But the team CERTAINLY didn't work to get him good shots while he was in there. He spent most of his time setting picks for the guards.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:27 AM   #35
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Get rid of PPod and get this kid. He seems to have a ton more upside, and I think PPod is a bust

Old 07-03-2006, 01:28 AM   #36
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
omigosh, don't even get me started. he is such a good guy. that is the LAST place he belongs. I am happy that I will get to see him play us a bit more tho now that he is in the same conference. poor, poor Raef. wish Cuban would never have overpaid him and he could have stayed here a bit longer without so many fans wanting him shipped out.
Maybe they'll have some success this year, they have a young core that's getting better. It is too bad though.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:43 AM   #37
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

Quote:
I still, to this day, say that KVH showed more BB IQ than the rest of the team .
Too bad he doesn't have basketball ability. Maybe he can think his way to some 3 pointers.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:42 AM   #38
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Prospect from Ghana is Mavs' man of intrigue

GW-ex Mensah-Bonsu has versatility, desire and chance to impress

12:15 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 4, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The first question to Mavericks summer-camp hopeful Pops Mensah-Bonsu is what position, exactly, does he play?

"Basketball," he answers without hesitation. "What position does Josh Howard play? He may be a small forward, but he can guard power forwards, big guards, he can handle the ball.

"I'm a power forward. But in a couple years, I think I could be a small forward."

In the much shorter term, he's on the Mavericks' list of favorites to earn a spot in training camp next fall. Mensah-Bonsu, 22, is a native of Ghana.

But he grew up in London until he was 15, moved to the U.S. and attended George Washington for four seasons. Minor knee surgery interrupted his senior season, which explains why he wasn't drafted last week.

When he wasn't, the Mavericks acted quickly to get him on their summer team. To this day, Mensah-Bonsu doesn't understand how he went undrafted. He has no guarantees from the Mavericks. They have offered him only the chance to impress.

Mensah-Bonsu – his full name is Nana Papa Yaw Mensah-Bonsu – is listed at 6-9 but is closer to 6-7.

With a giant wingspan and good hops, Pops can play multiple positions. More important, he can guard multiple positions, which intrigues the Mavericks. And he has the drive to compete.

"He has the inferno inside," said Rolando Blackman, the assistant coach who is coaching the team that will leave for the Las Vegas Summer League on Wednesday. "When you're undersized, you have to have that fire."

Mensah-Bonsu grew up playing soccer. He had a strong rooting interest for Ghana and England in the World Cup.

So how do athletes in London grow up to be basketball players? There's actually a growing line of such creatures. John Amaechi, Luol Deng and Boris Diaw are among them.

The Mavericks hope they have the next one.

"I've been a big fan of their style ever since Steve Nash was here," Mensah-Bonsu said. "And now they've incorporated defense into their style, which is great for me. I can bring that to the table. I can guard a lot of different positions."

He showed his defensive side in an exhibition against the Nigerian national team Saturday when he had three blocked shots. He averaged almost 1.5 blocks per game as a junior and senior at GW.

Briefly: The Mavericks expect to wait until perhaps next week for an answer on Mike James' free-agent decision. They have offered him three years starting at the mid-level exception of better than $5 million. James apparently is waiting to see if somebody offers a longer contract. ... Josh Powell became a father Sunday when his longtime girlfriend gave birth to Patience Powell. The 7-pound girl was named Patience, with mother and daughter doing well. ... The Mavericks are hoping to get West Virginia forward Kevin Pittsnogle to join the summer-league team in Salt Lake City. The sharpshooting big man worked out for the Mavericks and is weighing his options after going undrafted. ... George Lynch expressed an interest to join the Mavericks' summer-league team, but the Mavericks have not heard from him since the initial inquiry.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:14 AM   #39
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I really hope he makes the roster, ths kid seems like he is full of potential.

Any chance he gets a spot on the roster?

Old 07-04-2006, 07:01 AM   #40
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Who do we cut to get him on though?

NM, I forgot we have three FAs in armstrong, griffin and kvh.

Last edited by HexNBA; 07-04-2006 at 07:07 AM.
HexNBA is offline   Reply With Quote