Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
chanaw25

chanaw25 will become famous soon enough
Default 2 spots

After the Armstrong trade we have 2 spots on our roster. who do you think would be good to fill them. im looking at Pops Mensah- Bonsu and Kevin pittsnogle as possibilitys. and less likely are Jim Jackson, let him finish his career with the mavs. and eddie house who looks like hes leaving the suns with incoming marcus banks. good defender not a bad pick to have riding the bench or injured reserves.

Last edited by chanaw25; 07-23-2006 at 04:51 PM.
chanaw25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Why would we sign House? He's looking for bigger money and he's a poor man's Jason Terry. With Harris, Terry and now Johnson at the point, House seems like a bad choice.

Evans, Ariza, Jeffreys all seem like adequate solutions, but they'd require a player or SnT. A young forward might not be a bad choice either.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-23-2006 at 05:09 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
chanaw25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Why would we sign House? He's looking for bigger money and he's a poor man's Jason Terry. With Harris, Terry and now Johnson at the point, House seems like a bad choice.

Evans, Ariza, Jeffreys all seem like adequate solutions, but they'd require a player or SnT. A young forward might not be a bad choice either.
i mentioned house cause i see our line up for next year being

Diop/Damp/Dj
Dirk/ Croshere
Howard/ Stack
Terry/ Buckner/Ager
Johnson/ Harris

i would see terry as being a shooting guard cause of his offensive styles. i also dont know what kinda money house would be after. i dont think it should be that much but then again its the nba.

and did we already get Pops or is just Pops is basically a shoe in now?

Last edited by chanaw25; 07-23-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

New to the board, but a long time mavs fan and reader of message boards...

As for the slots. I think Pops will make the team as long as he doesn't screw up in training camp. He takes care of the PF/SF spot, if they wanna get another player I'd go for Ariza or Jurmaine Jones

As a sidenote...I was a frequentor of the LMF, did it officially die? And, what are some other good mavs boards to go to, along with this one.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
As a sidenote...I was a frequentor of the LMF, did it officially die? And, what are some other good mavs boards to go to, along with this one.
Nope.

Lone Mavs Forum

And to keep this on topic, I say Pops... but only because chum is high on him. The 2nd slot? They should have a towel waving contest and whoever does it the best gets the job. You don't see many towel wavers at the end of benches anymore.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I still want Jarred Jeffries.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

we arent going to get jeffries for what we have left.

i'm not sure if we have enough to get ariza, but he may be a bit of a better fit for what we're looking for behind howard. my money would go towards signing ariza if possible.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #8
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I am ready to go to war with what we have, but if I had my way I would still like to see the Mavs get a more athletic, mobile center/PF in the rotation. I would love to get Drew Gooden, Marcus Camby, or Jeff Foster but I don't see that happening unless someone is willing to take on Damp's contract.

I would also like to see a pure shooter added. Put someone like Casey Jacobsen at the end of the bench and only use him if we have one of those nights when no one is hitting the jumper. Sort of like how the Spurs used Steve Kerr.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Actually Casey Jacobsen wouldn't be a bad idea as the end of the bench guy. He is a a true small forward, and he most definitely can shoot.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #10
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

If neither Rawle or Powell are in the plans (if they are waived from Indy) then i want another young flier brought in for our 14 or 15th man. Just a young kid who has some upside and a chance of developing. Maybe Ebi (formerly of Minny) or Dejuan Wagner (formerly of Clev). Someone of that caliber. If it doesn't work out then we replace that spot next year. I think you are going to have a hard time getting Ariza to sign an offer sheet with our money and really very limited playing time if we have a healthy roster.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #11
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Wagner is like Red Stripe beer though. A shooting guard in a short stubby body. No thanks.

Ebi would be intriguing if he hadn't been cut by Minnesota a couple of times. He is still extremely young. He has the body of Eddie Griffin. (I have no clue what kind of ghame he plays however.)

I agree you want them to be young with potential but by that same token, the Mavs already have two guys like that : DJ & Pavel. So in essence Dallas needs a "plug gap" in case someone gets hurt. Somebody that can play a few minutes here and there or play big minutes for a game or two. Someone with prior pro experience will certainly help.

If the Mavs go with Pops as one guy they probably choose a swingman for the other one. A shooter more than likely.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

One of the articles about the DA>AJ trade mentioned Devean George. He would be a decent option to backup Howard. He's been coached well, can hit the 3, rebounds well, and plays good defense. Did not see him play last year though.

I'm not sure what it would take to get him.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #13
a.weidner

a.weidner has a spectacular aura abouta.weidner has a spectacular aura about
Talking

If everything else fails, we can always try to lure Walt Williams out of retirement
a.weidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #14
chanaw25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
One of the articles about the DA>AJ trade mentioned Devean George. He would be a decent option to backup Howard. He's been coached well, can hit the 3, rebounds well, and plays good defense. Did not see him play last year though.

What article was this?
Old 07-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #15
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Deal near on third point guard

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The Mavericks are on the verge of filling their third point guard slot by trading for Indiana veteran Anthony Johnson, league sources confirmed Saturday night.

The Mavs are sending free-agent guard Darrell Armstrong and forwards Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall to the Pacers in a deal that has been agreed upon but can't be completed until NBA offices open Monday.

Johnson (6-foot-3, 200 pounds), a 10-year veteran, averaged a career-high 9.2 points and 4.3 assists last season, starting 53 games with the Pacers.

He averaged 20 points and 5.2 assists in six playoff games last season. Johnson, 31, has two years left on his contract for $2.64 million and $2.86 million.

Armstrong joined the Mavs during the 2004-05 season. As a free agent, he's agreed to a new contract to facilitate the sign-and-trade arrangement.

With a third point guard behind Jason Terry and Devin Harris settled, the next priority for the Mavs is adding another swingman or reserve power forward.

The Mavs have approximately $2 million remaining from the mid-level exception, a $1.75 million biennial exception and the ability to use Keith Van Horn in another sign-and-trade.

Among available swingmen, Devean George and Fred Jones could be in the team's price range. Power forward Reggie Evans is another option.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #16
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.weidner
If everything else fails, we can always try to lure Walt Williams out of retirement
bring back the wizard!!!!!!!!!
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #17
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

We are currently uncomfortably thin at the small forward position. We need a couple more 6' 6" players who can actually contribute in the game (or players quick enough to guard small forwards). Currently, we have Howard & Stack. Who are we going to get? is another trade coming? Anyone from summer league who can really play? Stack & Howard have both had their share of injuries. If one or both of them go down, we will be VERY small.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:55 PM   #18
chanaw25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Disaster
We are currently uncomfortably thin at the small forward position. We need a couple more 6' 6" players who can actually contribute in the game (or players quick enough to guard small forwards). Currently, we have Howard & Stack. Who are we going to get? is another trade coming? Anyone from summer league who can really play? Stack & Howard have both had their share of injuries. If one or both of them go down, we will be VERY small.
Pops can play some small forward but if we want to get a true 6'6" small forward player i see the possibility of signing one of two lakers. George or Jackson. when i started this thread i was semi-joking about Jackson but i just read that the mavs might pick him up as there end of the bench instant offense. In my mind the two of these come down to George being a better defender and Jackson being a better shooter but if the mavs had to get one of the two im pretty sure itd be George.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:58 AM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I'm hoping for Pops and Evans, because with Marshall being gone we could use Croshere at the 3 sometimes too. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Marshall signed again if the Pacers waive him.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 07-24-2006 at 12:59 AM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:06 AM   #20
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

George is the better choice, if we could get him we should.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #21
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I agree with Nashty

As for George, i dont like him just for the fact that he's with the Lakers. On the bright side, i kinda think his game is a-ok. Good shooter, gets to the basket pretty well

I'd still go for Pops and Evans though.

I see Marshall getting signed also. They shoulve traded for DA and AJ straight if there is a possibility that Pow and Marshall are gonna get waived. IF!!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky

Last edited by mqywaaah; 07-24-2006 at 10:42 AM.
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
They shoulve traded for DA and AJ straight.
good grief. Please try to keep up. It couldn't happen.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #23
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
good grief. Please try to keep up. It couldn't happen.
I said IF.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #24
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

The contracts wouldn't have matched. Powell and Marshall had to be included.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
I said IF.
Only after you editted the post...you see there are times posted when that happens. Try again later.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #26
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Lol, nice try mqywaaah.

The trade wouldn't have worked without Marshall and Powell being included. Period.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #27
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Lol, nice try mqywaaah.

The trade wouldn't have worked without Marshall and Powell being included. Period.
They could have signed da contract to match aj if both sides agreed on it so it could have worked but I think indy wanted to take a look at the 2 youngsters
Old 07-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #28
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop
They could have signed da contract to match aj if both sides agreed on it so it could have worked but I think indy wanted to take a look at the 2 youngsters
Nah, Indy wouldn't hae done that, this was a salary dump for them. The contracts had to match, but now Indy will most likely waive one or both of the youngsters.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:55 PM   #29
jacktruth
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth

Avery is finally listening to me!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:06 AM   #30
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

And who's the last piece? Evans? Wells? KMart? Dalembert?
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:22 AM   #31
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Only after you editted the post...you see there are times posted when that happens. Try again later.
Uhuh. I know that. I was editting my post, next thing I know youre post is already there man. My bad. Will try to make it more clear the nextime. Hey, were all on the same side here right? haha

Old 07-25-2006, 12:26 AM   #32
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Barring any further trades... we're 14 now, and I hope we keep the 15th slot open... for flexibility during the season... for injury replacements or for some unexpected availability of a star player... etc.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote