Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who can beat dallas next year?

Honestly I was just thinking about this.. and I can't find a great argument for any team. Honestly the only two I can think of are miami (the wade factor) and cleveland (the lebron factor). No way cleveland beats us, but thats seriously the ONLY other team I can think of just because of lebron.

We proved we could tough it out in the playoffs... TD is a year older, Nash is a year older, and we got better in the offseason. No other playoff teams did much besdies Chicago.

I honestly see us having the best regular season record, and winning the championship without going over 6 games in a series.

Try to sell me on another team, it might be harder than you think.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

San Antonio didn't get any better but they still have Duncan, Ginobli and Parker. They could easily beat us.

Houston with a healthy McGrady and Yao could also beat us. Not sure if anybody has noticed but Yao's now the best center in the league. We've seen what a hot T-Mac can do and I liked the Battier trade for them. Rudy Gay has more upside but Battier will step right in and contribute. As a defender he'll fit right into Van Gundy's system and he can make teams pay for doubling Yao or Mcgrady.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I have a healthy respect for what Houston could do if everyone stays healthy, but I'd be even more worried if they had someone else coaching besides JVG.

I definitely put SA in that group and PHX is still a wildcard with Amare coming back.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 08-24-2006 at 09:40 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Do not discount the spurs. They will be right there. Houston I just don't think so because I don't think...
a. McGrady can stay healthy
b. He will play as before because he's afraid of getting hurt.

Suns..can't say.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

At least the Spurs, the Suns and maybe a healthy Rox in the West.... And maybe the Heat....
Old 08-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

There can always be an upset, but I see three strong teams in the West: Dallas, San Antonio and Phoenix (in that order) and four strong teams in the East: Miami, Detroit, Cleveland, and Chicago.

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't want to go for Dallas against the field without 6-1 odds, at least.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Sacramento will be tough too, as well as the Clips. I'd like to see D. Harris and Livingston matchup at PG.
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

The Clipper are really good and should be even better next year with the addition of Tim Thomas. Cassell will lose another step but Livingston should make up for that. I didn't put them on my list because I'm not sure Brand is ready to lead them to a series win over the Mavs or the Spurs.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #9
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

The only team I could make a case for is Phoenix.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The 3 teams I thought of right of the bat? Miami and the Suns for obvious reasons.... and Phoenix because of Amare. Although, I think we are a much improved team than what they faced 2 years ago.... but they aren't exactly the same either.

Should be a fun year.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

The only ones I'm am slightly worried about are the Spurs and the Suns.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Who CAN beat the Mavericks. Let's start with San Antonio, Phoenix, and Miami. Then let's add in Detroit and Houston. For good measure let's go ahead and consider the Nuggets and Clippers and Cavs. Let's go ahead and reserve one or two spots for a surprise team.

What you end up with is about one third of the league that CAN beat the Mavericks, in a given situation.

I'd be a lot more interested in hearing your explanation of why they can't than I would in making an argument of why any of those teams can.

It very much remains to be seen how good the Mavs are going to be next year. I'd hold off on sending them to Canton just yet.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

edit - I love you.....

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 08-24-2006 at 11:47 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I have reconsidered. It's not possible for any team to beat the Mavericks. Let's go ahead and start planning the parade now, so that it can really be a good one.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #15
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I have reconsidered. It's not possible for any team to beat the Mavericks. Let's go ahead and start planning the parade now, so that it can really be a good one.
Giggle....
Old 08-24-2006, 11:52 PM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

Honestly, I think part of the reason we didn't win last year was that we planned a crappy parade. We need to do it bigger than that! I mean, the first championship in franchise history should bring about bigger things. It was just bad karma last year.

I wouldn't be opposed to the city hiring a full-time employee right away to start planning the festivities. When the time comes--and make no mistake, the time will come--we need to do it up right, in a manner befitting our fair burbs.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:04 AM   #17
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

haha

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:20 AM   #18
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Contenders in the West: Mavs, Spurs, Suns, Nuggets
Contenders in the East: Miami, Cleveland, Bulls, Pistons, Pacers (if they get Harrington)

These are the teams that have a chance of getting to us in the playoffs and actually beating us, I think they could all beat us on occassion if they play well but I would give the us the slight edge to us over ANY of them if we play on par with how they are playing.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #19
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

West: Mavs, Spurs, Suns
East: Bulls, Cleveland, Pistons

No way will I admit that the Heat are as much as a contender. They just purely, downright SUCK! And Wade can suck it too.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #20
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
Contenders in the West: Mavs, Spurs, Suns, Nuggets
Contenders in the East: Miami, Cleveland, Bulls, Pistons, Pacers (if they get Harrington)

These are the teams that have a chance of getting to us in the playoffs and actually beating us, I think they could all beat us on occassion if they play well but I would give the us the slight edge to us over ANY of them if we play on par with how they are playing.
FYI, the Harrington deal is official.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:47 AM   #21
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

chumdawg you made this thread your bitch! !
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #22
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

what about the Suns and the Rockets, you don't think each time is capable of 55-65 wins if healthy? they are playoff teams as well.. also, the kings are scary with Artest.

Contact Me
Old 08-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
The Clipper are really good and should be even better next year with the addition of Tim Thomas. Cassell will lose another step but Livingston should make up for that. I didn't put them on my list because I'm not sure Brand is ready to lead them to a series win over the Mavs or the Spurs.
I agree.

Also watching Melo at FIBA this summer, I cant understand how the Nuggets arent better....

The regular season might be a real bitch this year for everyone in the west.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #24
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

In the west only two teams will give the mavs a challenge:
suns, who will be formidable with amare back getting passes from the mvp
and spurs, who has our nemisis in TD and we will see a healthier Ginobli

In the east:
heat, who will provide limited resistance with our new outside shooters
bulls, who will be the surprise team leading the east at the end of the season

Houston will not challenge because they are a two man team
Detroit lost Big Ben and have no anchor, so they are not a factor.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #25
alby
Guru

if houston is a two man team..

what is shaq/wade - 1time champs
what is shaq/kobe - 3time champs
what is stockton/malone - 2 final appearances
what is jordan/pippen - 6time champs

i know i'm forgetting about alot of the other formidable duos...

i hate the rockets
i hate the astros
i hate the city of houston

but

rafer, who's their starting sg (snyder?), tmac, battier, yao

pretty damn good

especially when healthy, tmac is a top5 player and yao is no question the best center in the west
of course their bench is filled with old guys and is not even close to the talent of the mavericks', but who's bench is?

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 08-25-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #26
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I think Housten will be really good, playoff material at least... but contending? I don't know if can put them up there yet, seems like no matter what he does or where he goes Mcgrady just can't win a playoff series.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #27
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

you have to look at the quality of the two players in the two man team. Does Yao and Tmac compare to Shaq/Kobe? ... to Jordan/Pippen. I think not. The heat last year were not a two man team, they had some serious veteran depth who hit shots down the stretch. Did Stockton/Malone ever win it all?

Tmac is very talented but he does not have the mindset to win it all, neither does Yao. That said, I do think they are a first or second round loser in the playoffs, but not giving the mavs much problems.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.

Last edited by Mavs Rule; 08-25-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #28
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Stockton/Malone never won it all ONLY because they had the misfortune to peak at the exact same time that Jordan/Pippin Bulls were peaking...

and even so, they SHOULD have won one of those finals matchups, but Malone choked. Had Malone simply put up his regular stats, Jazz win (I can't remember which year), EVEN with Jeff frikin Hornazcxzchech guarding Michael Jordan. Instead, Malone fades and the Jazz are inched out... but if you're gonna be inched, it makes it a LITTLE less painful when it is at the hands of arguably the greatest Bball team in history.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 PM   #29
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

If you're planning the championship parade for next year, don't forget to get the city manager to tell the chief of police that all vacation days for the month of Jume are officially nullfied in order to stop the riots and wild celebrations in Dallas. While you're at it, I guess you should also tell the Governor to tell President Bush that we need all national guiad troops from Texas brought back from Iraq asap to get ready for the massive crowd control and other acts of civil display of euphoria as the plane with Mav players touches down in Big D after winning four straight games in the NBA Finals, with game four being a score of 109-0.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #30
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Rob
If you're planning the championship parade for next year, don't forget to get the city manager to tell the chief of police that all vacation days for the month of Jume are officially nullfied in order to stop the riots and wild celebrations in Dallas. While you're at it, I guess you should also tell the Governor to tell President Bush that we need all national guiad troops from Texas brought back from Iraq asap to get ready for the massive crowd control and other acts of civil display of euphoria as the plane with Mav players touches down in Big D after winning four straight games in the NBA Finals, with game four being a score of 109-0.

&1!
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 PM   #31
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Spurs, Suns, Rockets, I dunno about the HEAT beacuse they got it going in the post season but I'll go ahead and put them in that list.

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:00 PM   #32
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

Remember--the Heat got it going against Dallas due to the most disgraceful displaying of officiating in any sporting event.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #33
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone writing off the Rockets is really being naive IMO. What worries me is a healthy Yao. We all saw the tear he went on last season after his foot surgery. Just imagine what he might be capable of with a healthy T-mac, a fixed foot, and another season under his belt. I wouldn't be even all that surprised if Houston finishes the regular season with a better record than the Spurs this year. We've seen what McGrady is capable of when he's healthy, but I think Yao is just as dangerous or more.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #34
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see t-mac ever being t-mac again. I mean that guy has to think that everytime he goes high-flying to the rim will be his last for a long time.

I think he'll still be very good, but he'll turn into a jumpshooter.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #35
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I am by no means writing off the rockets but mcgrady is MUCH more dangerous in a short series then he is over a season because hes so darn fragile which prevents him from going to the rim despite his massive physical gifts which imo are second to none. Hes not a top 5 player in the game. I watched that series too and if we play them in the playoffs they most definitely need to be included in a list of teams that could beat the mavericks, he isnt a top 5 player. Lebron, Kobe, Dirk, Wade, TD. Hes not in that group and i cant think of him supplanting any of them. Everyone talks about kobe just shooting alot to score but no one mentions that mcrady is a career 44% shooter and has shot 41.7%, 43.1% and 40.4% the last 3 years. That is iverson like.

As for Yao he is scary because he is alot like dirk in that you can make things difficult for him but more than anything you just have to hope he misses. The question is will Tmac be willing to make Yao the superstar with him the second fiddle. I have no doubt if he had been on a team with shaq he would have. Yao? Not so sure. Yao has become a monster though. That said lets not forget that the mavs have alot of talent and are at least as scary to any other team as any team could be to the mavs. Are there teams that could beat the mavs? Of course. The Heat, Cavs, Rockets, Spurs, Suns and clippers all could conceivably beat dallas if things fell the wrong way for dallas. Now is there any team that should beat dallas? no.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I just don't see t-mac ever being t-mac again. I mean that guy has to think that everytime he goes high-flying to the rim will be his last for a long time.

I think he'll still be very good, but he'll turn into a jumpshooter.
He turned into a jumpshooter 3 years ago.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #37
alby
Guru

Tmac, when healthy is a top 5 player
Yao, when healthy is the best C in the league

if thats not a good enough combination, I really don't know what is

Contact Me
Old 08-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #38
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Tmac, when healthy is a top 5 player
Yao, when healthy is the best C in the league

if thats not a good enough combination, I really don't know what is
So which player of Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Duncan and Dirk does Tmac replace? Its nice to say top 5 player and all but its not true anymore.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #39
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
So which player of Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Duncan and Dirk does Tmac replace? Its nice to say top 5 player and all but its not true anymore.
all those sg-sf's are the same imo.. sure they have subtle differences.. they all have their own individual strengths.. but at 100%

give me a 6' 8" ball handler who runs the pick and roll better than any of them
nba halfcourt game = pick and roll

of course im not including dirk
cause dirk > all

Contact Me
Old 08-26-2006, 12:35 PM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
all those sg-sf's are the same imo.. sure they have subtle differences.. they all have their own individual strengths.. but at 100%

give me a 6' 8" ball handler who runs the pick and roll better than any of them
nba halfcourt game = pick and roll

of course im not including dirk
cause dirk > all

All of the smalls handle the ball as well as he does and Lebron is bigger. The problem is that all of the other ones destroy him on percentage. He became a jumpshooter 3 years ago. Dont believe me look at his fg%s