Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-03-2002, 04:19 AM   #1
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

My grandfather was killed in Gallipoli in World War I. I found Dooby's comments "America...Did more in World War I than the aussie's ever did. The only good thing that came out of Galipoli was a good movie" to be reprehensible.

I said such comments ARE AWFUL and LIKE SAYING x. The example that I used was ONLY to show how harmful such comments about tragic events in a country's history are. I do not hold the viewpoint that America deserved what they got, (in fact the opposite) but some people obviosuly think I do. I'm sorry and did not mean to leave that impression. I am also sorry for using harsh and offensive language, that was completely my fault.

But MFFL and Dooby, please stop blindly taking the American side of an argument and open your mind. To anyone outside of the US, it is painfully obvious. I had family who died in Gallipoli, as well as friends in NY. I cried like everyone else on September 11 because I am a human being, the same way that I cry on ANZAC day. You can 'dog' me all you like, I don't care.

I used September 11 merely as a comparison, and I am sorry to anyone who thought I actually think America is responsible for September 11 attacks. I would also like you to read a little about Gallipoli and what it means to Australians:

Anzac Day, April 25th, is a day that is very dear to the heart of all Australians, a day when we remember those that have fallen in times of war, in service to their country, its people, and freedom for mankind.

ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corp.

ANZAC means much more than that though; it embodies what it meant to be a Digger, a Battler. ANZAC is the true essence of being Australian. In the words of the official Gallipoli Campaign historian, C E W Bean, the ANZAC spirit "stood, and still stands, for reckless valour in a good cause, for enterprise, resourcefulness, fidelity, comradeship and endurance that will never own defeat".

The Gallipoli Campaign

Anzac day is held in both Australia and New Zealand on the anniversary of the first major offensive to use ANZAC troops on the shores of Gallipoli in Turkey in 1915.

When World War I began nine months earlier, 4th August 1914, Australia committed 20,000 volunteer troops to the war effort under the control of the British Armed Forces. Those troops were soon on their way to Egypt where a plan was underway at the request of the Russians to neutralise the Turkish war effort and effectively take them out of the war.

At 06:00 hours on the 25th of April 1915, the First Expeditionary Forces of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp landed on the beaches of Gallipoli, now known as ANZAC Cove, to an unexpected welcome.

The plan was for the ANZACs to attack the Turks across the peninsular destroying the Turkish defences in the Dardenelles and leave the channel open for the British to sail into Constantinople and remove Turkey from the war completely.

However, the British plans were made based on outdated tourist maps of the area, and instead of landing on open grasslands the ANZACs found themselves facing rolling hills and steep cliffs covered with prickly bushes and defended by a very tenacious Turkish Army.

The ANZACS were all volunteers. 33,500 ANZACS died in Gallipoli.

Old 04-03-2002, 07:48 AM   #2
scooterj5
Golden Member

If you have a gripe with me, please just PM me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:53 AM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is a piss poor comparison to compare soldiers dying in battle to civilians dying as a result of a terrorist attack.

But I'll let this go.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 07:54 AM   #4
scooterj5
Golden Member

If you have a gripe with me, please just PM me. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2002, 08:51 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Scooter, you are absolutely right. My comments were way out of line. For that I sincerely apologize.

I should know better. I am aware of the sacrafice of the many soldiers that died in WWI and the leadership and outdated tactics that failed them in the first real war to use automatic weapons. I am also aware that the mistakes made in Turkey and Galipoli were largely those of the Brittish, particulary future Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and not of the Australians who sacrificed their lives.

I won't make the same mistake again. Again, I sincerely apologize.

And I do recommend Galipoli, Mel Gibson's first really good performance on film, to anyone.

P.S. If anyone feels that I should be banned for my comments in the earlier thread, they may be right. I will leave that up to the mods to decide.

P.P.S. I actually wrote this before reading the posts after mine in the locked thread. I hope everyone knows how sorry I am. My comments were stupid. In reality, I probably knew it at the time, but did not check myself. I regret my comments and they do not reflect my actual views, particularly toward Australia. That being said, I do love my country and I do love my President and vice-president (two men that I both know and respect).
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 10:32 AM   #6
nekked

nekked is on a distinguished road

my nine year old was watching over my shoulder as i visited the sight and as i read scooter's reply, my son, shocked at what he read, said "daddy, doesn't he know you spell mother with an 'er' at the end and not an 'a'"

sorry, couldn't help myself, just trying to bring a little levity to a tense situation.

i guess we know what roads not to test drive our threads on.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

33,500 died... oh my God. (feel like i should wisper in here). thank you for turning this around. i am glad to know your heart in the matter. also, thank you for sharing this important part of your history with us.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:34 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

to make light of either situation is in poor taste. probably not a good idea to do so on this board. just think, bad mouthing dirk or fin can get you in trouble for years... I can only imagine what would happen if this incident was allowed to escalate further.
I'm sure things were taking in ways other than how they were meant by the person sending the messages. An apology is warranted and has been accepted by many.
in the future, i'm sure it's a good idea not to ridicule anyone that died as a civilian or in war...just not a good idea in general
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 12:55 PM   #9
nekked

nekked is on a distinguished road

not making light of the references, making light of the fact that people were led from planes flying over a ranch in texas to screaming obcenities at each other...on a freakin' mavs website.

as with everything else, there is a time and a place. who knows when the time is, but this is most definitely not the place.

deep breaths, relax....aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
Old 04-03-2002, 08:59 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish I had never posted that damn thread. Sheesh.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:21 AM   #11
scooterj5
Golden Member

Have you guys seen the DTS fellas, they live in Brisbane and my friend says some are from Texas. They are called 'seiko' (or damet), 'next' (or nekst), 'vizie' and 'jade.'
Old 04-04-2002, 01:27 AM   #12
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Perhaps one should take a step back and think a bit prior to replying to such insensitive threads. This is supposed to be a sports venue, afterall. In light of our world today, we might all be a little bit more thankfull , you would think, that we are able to communicate in real-time frame, in a more positive tone,(than what we have done lately) between our respective countries than we actually are exhibiting to one another, and take advantage of that. Hello people!
Old 04-04-2002, 01:55 AM   #13
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Cool Scooter, Thanks.

I would also like to say as a History major (yes I know it is the most impractical major in college) that I can appreciate to some small degree the sacrifice the Australians made in both World Wars. They fought, and in some cases died, but from what I have read it was valiantly, and with great honor.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 08:25 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

nice post Kat
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote