Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Prestige

Just saw this today. Had some time to kill on a business trip. I knew a little about it going in. I like nolan, and i like bale, and i like jackman ok...

this movie was AWESOME. very entertaining, great acting, great layout (made you think), great shots/cinematography.

I highly recommend this movie. very highly.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:31 AM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw it a few hours ago. I'm a dedicated fan of both Nolan and Bale (not to mention David friggin Bowie!), so I had to see this one. Not sure what to think. I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I was expecting more of payoff at the end. It's a good one, but I don't think it lives up to Insomnia or Batman Begins.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 10-21-2006 at 03:31 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I really ejoyed it as well. Very entertaining and thought provoking in a lot of ways.

I think some people may not like it because they'll think it was too easy to figure out, but I don't think that is what the movie is about. It's not about figuring it out, it's about seeing the reactions of the characters themselves as they figure it out.

And it's also an amazing look at what obcession can do to people.

I highly recommend it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

yes, exactly, thig. this was not a movie that centered on a "twist'. yes, there was a twist, but that's not the crux of the movie. it's the rivalry/obsession that takes center stage. bale and jackman are great.

i did like the alternating timeline of the whoile movie, and how it wasn't explained to you (with something like "6 months later", "2 years ago", etc.).

i thought the movie would go off-kilter with the sci-fi aspect. but that was well done as well.

it definitely wasn't that hard to figure out, but it had a cool "sxith sense" type aspect. when i figured it out, i was replaying earlier scenes in my mind as the rest of the movie was playing.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-21-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

cool, thanks for the good reviews.....I've been looking forward to seeing this one.

thank you for the spoiler warning btw....I almost read right through that.

maybe Ill see it tonight.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be seeing it tonight...thanks for the heads up..

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

It is an absolutely great film. Saw it this afternoon and think it's the best movie I've seen this year on screen.

And completely with BBL and jthig about the "twists." I figured out the twists about halfway through the movie but what I kept waiting on was literally the "prestige." To me that is what made it cool. How were they going to pull it off? And AHA! it was done. Simply amazing.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

had a logical problem with the ending...but totally loved the film.

Jackman's best effort to date with the usual greatness from Caine and Bale.

Go see this movie...put it directly at the top of your must see list.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

What was your logic problem, sike?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

can't say it here...too much of a spoiler

Old 10-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Cant wait to see this movie... has yet to be shown in the P.I.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #12
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Didn't think it was that great. Never found myself really giving a crap about any of the characters, and got a little more science fictiony than what I was expecting... I liked the illusionist a whole lot better.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

PM me then, sike. i'm interested to see what you're thinking of.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

never.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #15
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

man am I looking forward to seeing this movie.

I accidently watched the Illusionist a couple weeks ago when I went to the theater and my wife and I said to each other, "wow, that movie about the magicians is already out?"

(How people can debate "torture" tactics in cuba when perfectly innocent people are paying money to watch Edward Norton movies is beyond me.)
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
man am I looking forward to seeing this movie.

I accidently watched the Illusionist a couple weeks ago when I went to the theater and my wife and I said to each other, "wow, that movie about the magicians is already out?"

(How people can debate "torture" tactics in cuba when perfectly innocent people are paying money to watch Edward Norton movies is beyond me.)
Whoah...WHOAH!

Why the hate on Ed Norton?

Ed Norton is a very fine actor.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i didn't hear good things about the illusionist...

yeah, irontoad, i mentioned the sci-fi aspect of it. it had the potential to fall flat on its face, but i thought that aspect actually worked.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-24-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #18
sike
The Preacha

Ed Norton is one of the better young actors today....

and BOTH magician flicks are different and worth your $7.50

Old 10-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Ed Norton is a major beating with the smarmy stick
Old 10-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #20
sike
The Preacha

maybe its a beating you need, UL!

he does have an arrogent tint....but so does Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, etc, etc...

Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Rounders, American History X and Fight Club are all great, GREAT movies.

The Score was pretty good too, imo, as was Red Dragon.

I'm a fan, myself.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #22
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Rounders, American History X and Fight Club are all great, GREAT movies.

The Score was pretty good too, imo, as was Red Dragon.

I'm a fan, myself.
uh....primal fear?

Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #23
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, add primal fear and 25th hour.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

indeed.

that speech he gives himself in the mirror is amazing (25th hr)

Old 10-24-2006, 12:49 PM   #25
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Almost thought about giving some neg rep for the diss on Ed Norton.

His acting in American History X is amazing.. and Hopkins doesn't even overshadow him (*that* much ) in Red Dragon. That says something to me.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #26
sike
The Preacha

Red Dragon is one of his most withheld or subtle characters...

Old 10-30-2006, 06:53 AM   #27
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

just saw the Prestige last night. Excellent movie. Like has been mentioned before, you'll probably figure out the magic pretty early, and spend a good portion of the movie trying to figure out if you are right. But it was fun. Very, very, I'd say very(!) well acted. With good, complex characters. Sometime in the middle of the movie, I gave up trying to figure out who was the good guy, who was the bad guy, and just enjoyed the movie. The characters and their development was definitely out of the ordinary for Hollywood.

I really liked the "rivalry" subplots that reflected the professional rivalry between the two magicians. Just a great plot - so much to keep your mind busy, like how the two magicians went about interpreting the same "you have to get your hands dirty" thing. Good stuff.

Sike, what was your logical problem with the ending?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #28
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

I enjoyed the movie immensely.
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:49 AM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Throw in my 2 cents. Saw it, liked it alot. I didnt think the sci fi was necesarry. As for the semi twist I guessed most of it(i was right in principal but wrong overall on Bale's character Im not gonna say what I guessed because of the spoiler issues that would bring up.) Thought everyone ESPECIALLY Cane did a great job acting. Hope Cane wins the award for best supporting actor. He is so awesome. There were a few things that looked ridiculously painful in that movie.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #30
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Finally saw it on friday. loved it!!

You've all said the things I thought.....I had it all worked out fairly early. Most of it. It was really disturbing in a way though. Acting was fantastic I thought, and a nice fresh concept from Hollywood?? very welcome indeed.

and scarlett johansson is hoooot
Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #31
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Finally saw this last week. I just thought this movie was alright, nothing special. Decent plot, decent acting, decent twist. Solid B movie.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #32
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

are you calling it a B-Movie? Or giving it a grade of "B"?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #33
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I sure hope it was a grade. It was certainly not a "B-movie"
Old 04-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #34
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I guess the way i'm describing it, i give it a B. Thing about this movie is it's a movie that nobody is going to jump out and say "that's one of the best movies i've ever seen" or even "that's one of the better movies i've seen in a while." To me it's like a regular movie that comes out in the fall/winter, in that it was good for what it was, but there was nothing special about it that'll make me want to see it more than a few more times.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 04-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #35
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

interesting. i thought it was one of the best movies I saw in 2006, along with Little Miss Sunshine.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #36
mffl03

mffl03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
interesting. i thought it was one of the best movies I saw in 2006, along with Little Miss Sunshine.

I agree...but I didn't get to see the two Eastwood movies too...
mffl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #37
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux

I'm not trying to say it wasn't a good movie. I really did enjoy it thoroughly. But i also enjoyed other fall/winter movies like Dreamgirls, Pursuit of Happyness, The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, etc. And like said movies (except The Departed), they are all interesting, well acted movies (that's why they call it Oscar season) but nothing special. I'll give The Prestige a nod over those movies based on being unique (thanks to Nolan).

~The Salesman
Old 04-06-2007, 03:59 AM   #38
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

After seeing the movie again, I have to say I appreciated it much more the second time. Looking back, I think this was maybe my favorite movie of 2006. I just love Christopher Nolan's dark style as well as his brother Johnathan's writing. This movie just makes me that much more hyped up about the next Batman flick (which Johnathan Nolan is writing the screenplay for as well.)
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #39
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

i gotta go more with nash13's take on the movie. the unbelievable sci-fi stuff really took away from the more interesting, believable and compelling Bale magic trick (no spoilers in this post).

plus...prestige can't be the best movie in the last year because The Departed absolutely kicked ass.

nonetheless, i've really become a big Christian Bale fan, and I look forward the next batman movie too.

cheers
Old 04-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #40
sike
The Preacha

this film was amazing...and anyone who says otherwise has no movie knowledge