Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-01-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default If Howard soars higher, Mavs can too

If Howard soars higher, Mavs can too

01:48 AM CST on Wednesday, November 1, 2006
[By David Moore / The Dallas Morning News]

Part of him wanted to escape the disappointment of The Finals

Part of him wanted the relive the incredible, emotional rush.

So Josh Howard went on the Internet, booked a trip to a private island 20 miles outside of Acapulco and confronted one of his fears.

He went parasailing.

"That was big for me because I'm afraid of heights. To be up so high and get pulled like that across the water," Howard said as his voice trailed off. "I was scared.

"I guess I can relate it to the basketball season. I had been through so much, why not take a chance? What was the worst that could happen?

"I think I kind of grew up."

The Mavericks have grown up as a franchise the last year. But to soar higher, to capture the championship that eluded them, this team needs Howard to mature even more.

Dirk Nowitzki remains the player most responsible for the Mavericks' success. But any improvement in his game at this stage of his career is incremental. The same goes for Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and the veteran depth the club assembled in the wake of its loss to Miami.

Howard, Devin Harris and possibly DeSagana Diop are members of the Mavericks nucleus who possess a significant upside. Howard is the player in that group poised to make the biggest impact this season.

"He's going to take his game to another level," Terry predicted. "You can tell he worked on his shot over the summer. He's already shooting the ball a lot better. He's worked on his ball handling. He gives us another threat out there.

"You know what he's going to bring defensively. Offensively, he's stepped his game up another notch."

The Mavericks' edge over San Antonio entering this season is precarious. But Howard, more than any other player, is the reason the balance of power in the Western Conference has tilted ever so slightly in the Mavericks' favor.

San Antonio owned the 28th pick in the first round of the 2003 draft. Tim Duncan mentioned to management that it should consider Howard. Instead, the Spurs took Leandro Barbosa and sent him to Phoenix for a future pick. The Mavericks then selected Howard.

Imagine the gap between the Spurs and Mavericks now if San Antonio had followed Duncan's suggestion. Where would the Mavericks be if Howard wasn't there slashing to the basket and hitting the offensive boards to complement Nowitzki?

The Spurs put Bruce Bowen on Nowitzki and Howard makes Duncan pay on the defensive end. Put Bowen on Howard, which San Antonio has done of late, and Nowitzki has more freedom on the perimeter.

After a nice pinot or two with dinner, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is apt to wonder what the West would look like now if his team had selected the small forward from Wake Forest.

"I know my role," Howard said. "We've got three big guns, J.T., Dirk and Stack. I'm the glue that brings it all together."

He's more than glue. The Mavericks don't need Howard to score 20 points every night, but when he does, they rarely lose. He's a high-energy blur committed to increasing his assists and steals this season.

When USA Basketball asked Howard to tryout eight months ago, it was to compete with Bowen and Houston's Shane Battier for a spot on the roster that will represent the country in the 2008 Olympics. Howard declined the invitation. As the playoffs unfolded, it became clear this opinion was too low.

Howard's impact is closer to that of Phoenix forward Shawn Marion than it is Bowen or Battier. He's the Maverick most likely to join Nowitzki in this season's All-Star Game.

"Maybe," Howard said. "You never know.

"I'd love to make the All-Star team. That's another dream not too many people accomplish. I'm on a team where I'm able to be noticed."

More and more people are beginning to notice the 26-year-old Howard. In his words, there's a lot of love left in his game.

"I've got tremendous love," Howard said. "I'm a young guy still. I haven't hit my prime.

"I've hit one prime, but I haven't hit my second prime yet."

If he hits it this season, the Mavericks may take care of some unfinished business.

The view from there would be more satisfying than the one Howard had soaring over the Pacific.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Josh really does need to get close to all-star status. It would take a ton of pressure off of the dirkster.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

If Josh Howard can become an All-Star, then the Dallas Mavericks will become a dynasty...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
If Josh Howard can become an All-Star, then the Dallas Mavericks will become a dynasty...
It's certainly possible. If Devin and Josh develop like we think they can we will be a very very good team for a very long time.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

And we will...

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote