Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-03-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Mavs' Howard no longer on outside looking in

Mavs' Howard no longer on outside looking in

Mavericks' forward now has 3-point range to go with slashing ability

12:48 AM CST on Sunday, December 3, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The scouting report on Josh Howard used to tell opponents to back off of him and let the Mavericks' swingman fling as many perimeter shots as he wanted.

Not anymore.

Howard made his mark in the NBA as a good defender who could hurt you on the offensive end if you didn't respect his ability to slither through defenses, pick up garbage points and hit the midrange jumper.

A 3-point threat, he was not.

That's why the 6-7 Howard has spent the last two summers working on his shot from beyond the arc. For all the talk about Devin Harris becoming a better perimeter shooter, it is Howard who has clearly made the biggest improvement on the team in that area.

"It's just about being confident in your shot and your teammates having confidence in you," Howard said. "I just take what's open. If they're going to leave me open, I'm going to take it. If they press up on me, I'm going to drive and try to find the open man. There's only two ways you can play it. We have too many weapons."

Of which Howard has been one of the most dangerous since returning from a sprained left ankle. In five games, he's averaging 18.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and is shooting 50 percent.

From 3-point range? He's 11-of-19 since his return and 14-of-29 for the year. His 14 3-pointers in eight games indicate a dramatic change in his style after he made just 27 in 59 games last season.

Howard also is the primary reason the Mavericks have been putting teams away early in the last four games, leading by an average of 15 points after the first quarter.

Howard's averages – 8.3 points and 63 percent shooting – in the first quarter this season would be a decent game for many players.

"Josh has been the key to our rapid starts," Avery Johnson said. "Josh has been coming out and moving the basketball. He's been playing tough defense."

Howard also has led the Mavericks in scoring the last two games. It's rare when Dirk Nowitzki goes more than one game without being the high-point man. But with Nowitzki leaving one game early with blurry vision, then having an off shooting night Friday against Sacramento, Howard showed he can be the offensive focal point at times, running up 50 points in two games.

"Obviously, every player is important," Johnson said. "We don't like playing without Josh Howard or Dirk or anybody. But if there are things like foul trouble or a guy goes down like Dirk did, we feel like we have guys who can come in and compete at a high level. And we need that."

Streaky: The Mavericks' 12-game winning streak has seen them starting to inch closer to playing a full 48-minute game, although Johnson acknowledges that that's really not possible.

He's seen his team break out to huge early leads, then the coach faces the task of keeping the players focused.

"It's a human process in terms of your brain telling you we're up by 20 in the first quarter," Johnson said. "I'm trying to tell the brain: Don't relax, they can come back. But the brain is saying: No, we're going to go up by 40. But there's 30-something minutes left in the game."

As for the winning streak, the players are trying to keep a level head about it.

"Nobody's giving us any trophy for it," Howard said. "June is when it really counts. These games are helping us prepare for June."

Briefly: Small victories make a big difference for the coaching staff. Johnson said he and his assistants saw such a win during Friday's game. Devin Harris successfully navigated out of a defensive trap and found an open man for a bucket. "He just didn't make [that play] last year," Johnson said. "It would have definitely been a turnover. They trapped him and last year, they'd be laying it up on the other end." ... Jason Terry is donating $100 for each 3-point shot he makes this season to Gilda's Club, which helps alleviate the stress on families stricken by cancer. Last season, Terry hit 171 3-pointers and donated $17,100 to the initiative, which was matched by Credit Union of Texas.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2006, 03:31 AM   #2
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Mad props to JHo.

Props to kriD for a great read.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:43 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Nobody's giving us any trophy for it," Howard said. "June is when it really counts. These games are helping us prepare for June."
given the series of sometimes miraculous and fortunate events that have to take place if any team is to make it to June, I believe this statement is a little arrogant.

but I like it.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Well, maybe he should've talked about April or May?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Not maybe, that's what he should've done. But I like the arrogance. Kind of shows you his love for our team. Displays bold confidence in himself. Kudos JHo, just dont let it get too much of your head. And oh btw, congratulations on the shoe contract!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw-xx
Well, maybe he should've talked about April or May?
If the Mavs don't get past May, they will consider this a failed season. The championship is the goal. There is nothing wrong with wanting it, believing it, and going for it. For Josh to have said May would be a lie. He's getting ready for June. He was honest. Its only arrogance if it is not earned. By getting so close last year, the Mavs earned the right to beleive they can do better. To expect anything less from themselves would be to expect to fai. That was fine when Nellie was here. No longer.

This is exactly the attitude I want to see. Today. In May, and in June. If we don't get there, so be it. To expect anything less would be to invite failure.