Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of
Default David Beckham signs with L.A. Galaxy

HOLY SH*T.

Reportedly for 5 years, $250 mil.

I, for one, am pumped. To all the other Euro players that want to join our little American operation, you're more than welcome. The more the merrier.

Looks like my I'll be watching a bit more futbol this year.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

HUGE boost for MLS. I normally don't watch much Soccer besides World Cup, but this may change my mind.

And that contract is insane for MLS. I dont think any other player makes more than 1 Million per year.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

This news makes me want to fart.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Hahaha. Somehow I knew that was coming.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Beckham shouldn't worry about Doc's response. Rumors are that sex with his wife and conversations with Hitman both make him want to fart... So, Beckham shouldn't be offended.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Sometimes you just have to fart.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't argue with that one.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

A soccer player leaving Europe to play in the US, Japan or in the United Arab Emirates for that matter is old and only interested in cashing in relying on his past glory.

Beckham was great in Manchester, so so in Madrid, how do you expect him to be in L.A.?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #9
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

No one can bend it like Beckham or cash in for that matter. The MLS isn't paying most of his salary so they got a pretty good deal out of it. Adidas is supposed to cover most of the salary since they can market Beckham like crazy here.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This is a circus sideshow. I feel bad for anyone who gets sucked into thinking that this is a big deal.

This is about money.

good players don't go from Europe to USA. What gets me excited, is when US born players go from here to Europe to play in the Elite leagues. That gives me hope for the future for the US national team, which is the only soccer team I care about.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Exactly...I think it is going to make me fart again.

Yep...it did.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Doc, you don't know anything about soccer.. Stop acting like you do.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:30 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

I know your manboobs look like soccer balls and that is enough to make me hate the game.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:30 AM   #14
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Beckham coming here will not make US soccer better. How much is a soccer ticket anyways...like 10 bucks.

However, Unavision's TV ratings are gonna skyrocket!

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #15
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Beckham is a genius.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #16
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

there are so freaking many little kids running around playing soccer, dont you think every single stinkin one of them is going to know about beckham, buy his stuff, and want to play like him? this is a big deal
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:16 AM   #17
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
Beckham is a genius.

disagree !

he is and will ever be a pinhead. he doesn't convince me in any way.
my 5 year old nephew has more talent in soccer than he has.

he will finally go down with flying colors in LA...
but at least he has more time to pimp his ego.
he is a f...... drama queen nothing more.

but ehj who wouldn't sign such a high-doped deal ?!
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #18
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

So much money, so little substance...
Beckham's good days are long gone. Back at ManU he had mad skills at the wing and his free kicks were lethal. Then he morphed into this metrosexual marketing machine and his soccer skills went way south...Real was the right address for him as this club is nowadayas the laughing stock of football Europe with so many scandals and its pampered "Superstars"...

The MLS is showing the world something everyone already knew...just another hobby show league...

Last edited by digit; 01-12-2007 at 09:18 AM.
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #19
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

He is overrated.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #20
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

definitely past his prime.

but this isn't about having beckham bringing a high level of play to the usa, it's about mls getting more exposure and news.

there's going to be more 30 something year od europeans coming to america to play, but there is no one who has the name recognition of beckham. and with the exposure comes more younger players, who btw can get some great training now without leaving america.

it's good for american soccer to have a successful mls.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #21
Drbio
Banned

That last one may have qualified as a shart.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

HAHAH, MANBOOBS...HAHAHHAAHHA
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #23
untitled
Golden Member

The reason I'm pumped is because, unlike the generation(s) that saw Pele come here to play with the Cosmos, many in my generation as well as the generation before and after mine have grown up playing soccer. I don't have to tell y'all how huge youth soccer is here in the states - there is an entire segment of the consumer market for "soccer moms". It's amazing how large the gap is between soccer's popularity with the youth and it's unpopularity with American sports fans.

I think (and hope) that the market is different now and that anything that is achieved by this and other similar moves in the future will be sustainable. I don't think it'll ever reach MLB/NFL/NBA status, but the MLS getting to the NHL's status would be awesome, IMO.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

I played youth soccer overseas on military bases growing up. It was much more prevalent than when we returned to the United States. I got to see Pele play in Dallas against the Tornado. He was the most awe inspiring player I've seen to this day not named Nolan Ryan.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

if anyone thinks this is about more than money and simply having a "big name", they're fooling themselves.

beckham is a shell of his former self (although he is still one of the best at free kicks).

however, this could open up the gates for other past-their-prime players like ronaldo. then maybe, just maybe, we might get some big name young stars in the US (like 50 years from now, if the MLS stgill exists).